Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Wait a minute brother, you want me to join a war with you to fight yourself? And if I don't fight you, you'll be most upset?

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Does promoting Christian settlements prevents Hungary from taking the convert back to taltoism decision?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

guns for tits posted:

Does promoting Christian settlements prevents Hungary from taking the convert back to taltoism decision?

It does, I saw that on the wiki when I was looking something up.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

It does, I saw that on the wiki when I was looking something up.

Ugh, so basically if you wanna be a pagan magyar there’s no way to switch to Hungarian in 867?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

kiss me Pikachu posted:

Basically is there anything worth building province wise before settling down or should I build a big war chest to build up after I change over?

The tribal economy building pays for itself in 25ish years, so if you're unlikely to get a feudal liege and you've got a lot of tribal tech left then they're a very good investment. The army buildings are a bit harder to gauge, but they're very good for the price. Tribal buildings mostly cost prestige, which seems very intentional to encourage you to spend on them.

In general, don't underestimate the long-term value of being strong now rather than in 50 years. Having 10 extra knights at +100% power plus 1500 extra levies because you built Warrior Lodges gives you the ability to win a lot of civil wars and beat up a lot of rival kings before you go feudal.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
First time player here, my only experience is playing the tutorial both here and in CK2, any opening tips for the recommended emirate start in 1066 Iberia?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
well some dickhead jarl took over Connacht and now I'm left pondering if I can just invade, siege, and enforce demands before reinforcements arrive from across the North Sea. It's just some kid with a whopping 229 in levies. It would also give me the 7th county I need to create the title for Kingdom of Ireland (although I'll have to wait a while for the necessary gold).

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
What are people's strategies for handing out new territories? In CK2 my go to strat was usually splitty up a duchy, so the duke gets 1 country + the duke title, with each county going to a different person who doesn't have any titles. This made sure the vassals were individually small and prevented them lumping up to challenge me in civil wars.

I notice that when I do this in CK3, the duke is pissed off at me because he desires the county of x, y and z. Is it better to just give the entire duchy to one guy?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I love it when a plan comes together. After winning independence from the King of Alba, I can then form an independent kingdom and use the subjugate CB to take Alba from him. He's at war with Sweden for some reason, so I take advantage of the situation and take the entire Kingdom from him. Now I'm in great position to take the rest of Britannia.

Of course, during this time, I find out my soulmate wife has been sleeping with my son. Well, can't have it all, I guess.

I might destroy my created kingdom title so there's not a bunch of fighting when my two sons get overlapping kingdoms.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope there's gonna be a convertor to EUIV.

ALso I think there's a missing game between Rome and CK.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope there's gonna be a convertor to EUIV.

ALso I think there's a missing game between Rome and CK.

It was supposed to be Imperator but it's baaaad.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Sometimes when I grant a county to someone as a duke they stop being my vassal. What is up with that does anyone know?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Communist Bear posted:

I like imperator more than 3 so far.

3 is okay, very much a paradox new release

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
An EU/CK-like covering the division of the empire and the fall of the WRE would be cool. Sack Rome as the Vandals? Yes please. And the Huns aren't featured enough in grand strategies, so I'd like to see that too.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Gammymajams posted:

I notice that when I do this in CK3, the duke is pissed off at me because he desires the county of x, y and z. Is it better to just give the entire duchy to one guy?

It's because you're still holding the vassals that have the county titles. If you give the new duke the vassals he'll stop being upset about that. (And the county holders stop having the "You're not their de jure liege" penalty.)

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 6, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Communist Bear posted:

I haven't touched it since launch but I heard the patches made it much better?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Will the Holy African Empire attempt to reclaim north africa from Matriarch Nadia, empress of all the muslims of western europe and sweden, or take the horn of Africa from the christians?
Find out on the next exciting episode of Daura thunderbowl.

my expansion into the horn of africa went pretty well...

i even managed to hold the arabian empire together by dread and marriages until my scary empress died

my new ruler just caught bubonic plague and all his heirs are mediocre kids but i'm sure thats fine
almost all my powerful vassals are still muslim im sure thats fine

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

i even managed to hold the arabian empire together by dread and marriages until my scary empress died

my new ruler just caught bubonic plague and all his heirs are mediocre kids but i'm sure thats fine

:stare:

Glorious!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Communist Bear posted:

I meant between Imperator and CK, there's like 400 years missing from the timeline.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Boy the Vikings really want parts of this little island. Jylland eating a county and while helping my buddy who I set up to inherit Alba defend his territory, I get a notification that my neighbor in Thomand or whatever got smoked by the King of Sweden :stare:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This looks like a nightmare to manage

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Lmao what the gently caress is the kingdom of Pontus doing there

I've never seen that ever get formed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the game should def do a pop up for setting your kids focus but whenever you get the guardianship pop ups for them you can go and set it then as well, so just get into that habit and you wont miss setting them up anymore

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

Succession still seems to be broken. I have five sons.

Son 1 (my heir) is inheriting one of my duchies and 1 of my counties.

Son 2 is inheriting 2 duchies and 1 county.

Son 3 is inheriting 3 duchies and no counties(?).

Sons 4 and 5 are both inheriting 2 counties (which belong to my main duchy title)
son 1 is probably also inheriting a kingdom.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Azuren posted:

So I'm working my way through Tutorial Island, and I'm wondering how to best organize my titles and family. Everything inside my capital's duchy I own personally, and everything outside of it I've been granting a single county each to a new vassal. So far, all of my new vassals have been close family members, and often my council members. My goal is to have nice pretty stable clean de jure borders: I want to end up a king who personally owns all of a duchy, and my direct vassals are dukes of a single duchy with their capital in the de jure capital, who have under them counts of a single county, so that power isn't centralized enough for anyone to become a threat. I'm imagining that I'm just being a noob and this is all going to explode horribly as soon as I die and succession happens :v: Is this the gist of what I want to do? Do I want my vassals to be my family members, or does that make them more of a threat, and I should be using non-family members? So far I've made sure all my new vassals that I hand titles out to don't have any land or claims.

this is all a pretty good idea. making sure your vassals themselves have a lot of vassals absolutely dilutes their power base and makes them less capable of rising against you

it's ok to use dynasts as vassals, but it's better to put dynasts in charge of other independent realms if you can spin those off. in game terms you get scored by having the largest dynasty possible and so if your third cousin is a king next door, doing his own thing, that still helps you (as long as you are the dynasty head). if you need to land some good courtiers though to have good vassals then dynasts are fine

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Someone in the thread earlier mentioned that the 'Station Besiegers' button loving leaves behind men-at-arms instead of levy forces.
I checked and yeah.

That is pretty loving bad, the group of besiegers it left behind was -purely- Man-at-arms.
So if you use it a lot your army's spearhead is just going to be garbage levy units, while the actually skilled units will be doing gently caress all.
If there's a chance of combat you're probably way better off just splitting the army instead, that way you won't be commanding a peasant army after 2-3 siege dropoffs.

It makes me wish there was a 'split off Levy / man at arms' forces button, so that I could atleast manage that better.

e: It makes me wonder if they did it just to make it so that the siege man-at-arms units would be left at sieges, and didn't care/notice that it just dropped off Men-at-arms in general.
(Or maybe it was a 'good enough for launch' situation, where they'll be going over things with a finer brush after launch.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

ilitarist posted:

So how does technological exposure works?

I'm trying to get Slavs out of tribal state. I'm the culture head. I have cultures in my realm of my religion and Vepsian culture. They have tech I don't have. But I only get a bonus from some Avars. I guess Avars have some Slavic lands under control. But even then I only get 1 tech bonus from them. Does it supposed to work that way - you only get 1 bonus from exposure at any given time, so the best tactic is to be fascinated with the stuff you're exposed to?

You only get one exposure at a time, yeah. Whether you should be fascinated with the same thing depends on your goal and your ruler’s learning.

Each tech has a 5% chance or advancing each month.
Exposure gives a 40% bonus to chance if making progress each month.
Fascination gives a bonus based on your ruler’s learning.

If your learning is high enough you can get to 100% chance of advancing just from your fascination. In that case you’re wasting the bonus from exposure, but sometimes you really want a certain tech ASAP.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Ok I managed to declare myself the King of Ireland. I control most of the counties in the center but I haven't made the Duchy titles yet for Connacht or Leinster. I vassalized the 3 Ulster counties, but there's one ruler each, and no Ulster Duchy. How should I prioritize the order that I create the duchies? I'm a little concerned since I'm getting up there in age and trying to figure out how not to leave a huge mess behind for the, err, [i]three/i] heirs I have.

For duchies I don't intend on holding, what's the best way to grant vassal titles? 1 vassal for all three counties? 3 vassals, one for each county, and one of them gets the duchy title?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

oh noooo

my loser uncle kicked me off the throne so this is his problem now

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Skyl3lazer posted:

I've had multiple obese characters (the piety feasts will do that) and I've never, ever successfully lost the trait. I've even had one guy get the Athletic perk and stay obese.

Natfraich more like FATfraich

got em

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody have any suggestions for rulers with extremely high intrigue to start that are like 40 or younger? I was doing the Ivar start in 867 and between him (low 20s intrigue), his wife (+12) and a halfway decent spymaster I was pulling 95%/95%/11 month assassinations. But he starts off too old, before I could finish a single tree (even after getting a few extras via events) he kicks the bucket.

I suppose alternatively I could just carefully engineer to have an intrigue-based heir and knock off a few less useful sons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow the Adamites actually have basis in the historical record?

That's my #1 fact learned from this Paradox game so far, there's usually a bunch for each

I went down the rabbit hole of reading up about the historical Daurama Daura and Kanem-Bornu, so that was neat.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for rulers with extremely high intrigue to start that are like 40 or younger? I was doing the Ivar start in 867 and between him (low 20s intrigue), his wife (+12) and a halfway decent spymaster I was pulling 95%/95%/11 month assassinations. But he starts off too old, before I could finish a single tree (even after getting a few extras via events) he kicks the bucket.

I suppose alternatively I could just carefully engineer to have an intrigue-based heir and knock off a few less useful sons.

Alfonso of Leon in 1066 starts with 21 intrigue at age 26.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's also loving his sister and if he dies without an heir you get to play as Castille and inherit all of Leon. It's basically failproof!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
This might be dumb question, but what happens to prestige and piety after your character dies? Does an heir benefit in any way from previous ruler's prestige and piety?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a pretty good intrigue run with Holland. You can't actually do any intrigue because blackmail stresses the gently caress out of your starting ruler, but you have a sister with 11 or something and with a little luck it's pretty easy to build a heir with high intrigue. Once they're in power you can stab your way through the entire continent. I took out so many rulers of the holy roman empire that the crusades never started because once someone inherited the throne their shelf life was approximately 11 months.

No one ever called me out on it either, which is good because my army size was pitiful and I was being a prick to some really powerful alliances.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dwesa posted:

This might be dumb question, but what happens to prestige and piety after your character dies? Does an heir benefit in any way from previous ruler's prestige and piety?

Nope, dump it all before death cause it's gone otherwise. The only thing that sticks is Renown I think?

Ask me about having multiple rulers die with 2k+ piety cause I was trying to pool it all for my Finn Dom religion

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Man how much am I missing out on by playing as little tribal “nations” in Siberia and sub-Saharan Africa

Does causal raiding by friendly neighbors still happen there? I’m doing decent at this game but my squabbling neighbors are being picked off one by one by this horse horde to my east.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Zane posted:

son 1 is probably also inheriting a kingdom.

Oh forget to mention that, yeah he is. But I'm still baffled as to why the last two are only getting two counties each while son 3 gets 3 duchies all to himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Daktar posted:

An EU/CK-like covering the division of the empire and the fall of the WRE would be cool. Sack Rome as the Vandals? Yes please. And the Huns aren't featured enough in grand strategies, so I'd like to see that too.

I'd imagine WtWSMS might make its way to ck3 eventually since it was a pretty popular mod for ck2.