Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The_Doctor posted:

Counterpoint: the Mezco ones are stupid expensive. And the Diamond Select ones were a pain in the butt to get hold of (especially the RGB ones).

The Mezco also have some ugly rear end heads and poor likenesses. Hasbro is better for most of them, especially Egon.

I have the full set and am totally getting Louis when he drops, because then I'll have 2 Terror Dogs (I don't care enough about the horn differences to not be happy with those two) and all four 'busters and hell yeah, that's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Heck yeah man.

I sent you a PM about it.

Xenomrph posted:

I remember when new movies used to come out, back in the Before-Before Times.

Seriously when I talk to someone about something that happened in January or February it’s feels like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The future of movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-MICZdEY4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Mezco ones are pretty cool. I like the accessories and detail. It’s a decent set if you missed out on the Blitzway ones.

I don’t like the Hasbro ones all that much. They’re fine but idk. Seeing them in person made me fine with my decision not to pick them up.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Still better than 7-9.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dale-Taco posted:

Extreme was my jam. I would consider getting a set of those. But I never got why they keep trying to resuscitate the original two movies. Don’t get me wrong I love them, but they are very nitch 80s comedies that even when came out didn’t have a lot of mainstream play. Im highly concerned that afterlife is going to miss the point again like 2016 did.

Are you talking about the first two Ghostbusters movies? Because the original was the highest grossing film of 1984. The theme song was #1 for three weeks and was nominated for an Oscar. That movie was huge.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

*choking sounds en Francais*

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Splint Chesthair posted:

Are you talking about the first two Ghostbusters movies? Because the original was the highest grossing film of 1984. The theme song was #1 for three weeks and was nominated for an Oscar. That movie was huge.

Yeah, seriously, that whole but in Stranger Things when they all dress up as Ghostbusters wasn't just a nerdy reference, they were a ridiculously popular costume that Halloween, and from then on. It was very much a big deal movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m shocked people sincerely think Ghostbusters isn’t big.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I’m shocked people sincerely think Ghostbusters isn’t big.

In the summer of 1989 my small town theater was showing Batman and Ghostbusters 2 on their two screens.

My dad took me to the movies, and I chose Ghostbusters 2. I do not regret my decision. :colbert:

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Ghostbusters in my opinion suffers from the same problem as robocop. A very specific set of conditions had to exist to generate a successful movie from, on its face, an absurd concept. However, when a second movie is made the formula was changed just enough to make a movie, that in comparison to the original, is not as good. Then there is a push to move the property towards children even though that wasn't the original intention of the films, which makes it suffer even more. Robocop was initially going to receive an X raring. Then the property quickly drops out of popular culture memory. It can be argued that the property can influence other media properties, but joe schmoe isn't talking about it. Until the 2016 reboot attempt there had been no major media presence (tv shows, movie) for Ghostbusters since 1997. Does anyone even remember the video game? Then greedy executives try to tap into whatever residual nostalgia that may exist but completely miss the mark. Then everyone scratches their head wondering why the franchise doesn't gain any traction.

For something to have staying power with most people there has to be a continuous media presence. Thats why for all its faults star wars sells. There are multiple avenues today to attract new audiences members. Ghostbusters doesn't have that. And again in my opinion is why its a bad choice for a wide release toy line.

It is very obvious that afterlife is going to be geared towards getting adults who remember the original movies to take thier kids. Especially with it being framed as a direct sequel to number 2. Whether or not that is successful is going to be entirely dependent upon the quality of the movie as a stand alone entity. Because its definitely not going to be the same as the original movie.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, just bought the McDonald's joker. Guess it's my official proof that I probably should not be trusted with money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This?

If so, owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6YgB5eq8w

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shiftypenguin posted:

I understand why the first wave was movie-only, but they should have done like they did with the Lightening Collection and mix in other stuff from Real, Extreme, Etc.

I'd LOVE to see RGB stuff in the Plasma Series, but I'm afraid it's not gonna happen with how badly wave one is peg warning

Plasma series is very likely to cover all the GB properties, and I’d be hugely surprised if it doesn’t.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

Plasma series is very likely to cover all the GB properties, and I’d be hugely surprised if it doesn’t.

I want a figure of The Rookie from the videogame.

The video game was awesome, by the way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

I want a figure of The Rookie from the videogame.

The video game was awesome, by the way.

It really is! The remaster is nice and cheap too, and well worth your time.

Wave 2 of Plasma Series should have Melanie Ortiz from the comics, Garrett from EGB, Jack Hardemeyer from GB2, RGB Janine and Slimer two pack, Rookie from the video game, and the Mayor from GB1. The BAF? The fat Scoleri Brother.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

The_Doctor posted:

Has anything been announced/leaked? All the other lines seen to have a regular stream of reveals, but Plasma Series just had the Tully set as far as I'm aware.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shiftypenguin posted:

Has anything been announced/leaked? All the other lines seen to have a regular stream of reveals, but Plasma Series just had the Tully set as far as I'm aware.

They’ve announced Ernie Hudson answering questions on the upcoming PulseCon thing, so they’re obviously planning for reveals then.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dale-Taco posted:

For something to have staying power with most people there has to be a continuous media presence. Thats why for all its faults star wars sells. There are multiple avenues today to attract new audiences members. Ghostbusters doesn't have that. And again in my opinion is why its a bad choice for a wide release toy line.

You do realize that no one cared about Star Wars at all for like a decade, right? From 86 to 96 when Shadows of the Empire was published it was basically relegated to, "that thing only nerds talk or care about still," despite the films being internationally acclaimed classics that were loved by hundreds of millions of people. The Marvel and Dark Horse comics in the 80s and 90s were mostly a joke, to the point where Marvel dropped the license, it was selling so poorly. The toy line was dead and replaced with GI Joe and TMNT. The franchise was basically done except for Timothy Zahn starting a slow snowball of EU fiction. Shadows turned the corner with the simultaneous N64 game release.

Shadows came out and rekindled interest while the THX rereleases reminded everyone that the films they loved years ago still existed. GL then went on to aggressively release the Special Editions to rekindle interest so that the prequels wouldn't be a complete flop.

It's not so much that you need a continual presence, you just need to do it correctly to keep the franchise afloat and able to cross generations.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 6, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Fuzz posted:

You do realize that no one cared about Star Wars at all for like a decade, right? From 86 to 96 when Shadows of the Empire was published it was basically relegated to, "that thing only nerds talk or care about still," despite the films being internationally acclaimed classics that were loved by hundreds of millions of people. The Marvel and Dark Horse comics in the 80s and 90s were mostly a joke, to the point where Marvel dropped the license, it was selling so poorly. The toy line was dead and replaced with GI Joe and TMNT. The franchise was basically done except for Timothy Zahn starting a slow snowball of EU fiction. Shadows turned the corner with the simultaneous N64 game release.

Shadows came out and rekindled interest while the THX rereleases reminded everyone that the films they loved years ago still existed. GL then went on to aggressively release the Special Editions to rekindle interest so that the prequels wouldn't be a complete flop.

It's not so much that you need a continual presence, you just need to do it correctly to keep the franchise afloat and able to cross generations.

This is the most interesting part of The Toys That Made Us. The guy from Kenner looks like he’s about to cry when he’s explaining why they sold the Star Wars license. Franchises used to be allowed to die.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

The_Doctor posted:

They’ve announced Ernie Hudson answering questions on the upcoming PulseCon thing, so they’re obviously planning for reveals then.

Good to know. Fingers crossed for something good. Although I have a feeling it'll be something like GB II figures, whick I'll be ok with as long as a glow-in-the-dark Slimer is part of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuzz posted:

While true, even this ignores the fact that the only thing coming out for ages for Star Wars (aside from the Ewok flicks) was the West End Games RPG that, for a table top RPG, did exceedingly well. The franchise was pretty much an afterthought until Zahn's novels, though, it's true.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

While true, even this ignores the fact that the only thing coming out for ages for Star Wars (aside from the Ewok flicks) was the West End Games RPG that, for a table top RPG, did exceedingly well. The franchise was pretty much an afterthought until Zahn's novels, though, it's true.

Fuzz posted:

it was basically relegated to, "that thing only nerds talk or care about still,"

:smugbert:

(I was one of those nerds)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has the red ninja for gi joe been released yet? I'm seeing pre-order dates all over the place. Darkside has one for November I'm considering (Amazon has march/April 21,bbts is January) but not sure how likely it will arrive by then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Toy stores in Indianapolis have Storm Shadow for $75. What a poo poo show.

But I got a Bashasaurus!

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Has the red ninja for gi joe been released yet? I'm seeing pre-order dates all over the place. Darkside has one for November I'm considering (Amazon has march/April 21,bbts is January) but not sure how likely it will arrive by then.

From what I've been seeing online is that its supposed to be November release but stores all over are getting them early and haven't gotten the memo on the release date so they just put them out. So its another cluster gently caress like the cobra island release.

Rhyno posted:

Toy stores in Indianapolis have Storm Shadow for $75. What a poo poo show.

The new classified series one? You can get him on Ebay for like 35 dollars now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been popping back i to stock on Amazon as well.

Also saw the MOTO Origins for 3X retail in the same store.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Yup.

Honestly kinda pissed I can't find the Colonel Sanders Bale that goes along with him.

Still, it matches nothing in my collection, but holy gently caress do I need it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well this is getting out of hand

All complete. Attack Track needs new stickers, Jitsu's sword is a bit mangled. They had a dozen more complete figures for good prices but I needed to get out without going too crazy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rhyno posted:

All complete. Attack Track needs new stickers, Jitsu's sword is a bit mangled. They had a dozen more complete figures for good prices but I needed to get out without going too crazy.

I got an insane high when I opened the new Classified Storm Shadow, since it's based on an old Ninja Force figure I had as a kid and absolutely loved (but broke and never found a replacement for). So it's really fun to see you going through this descent into madness adventure!

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oh god that is so awesome. Of all the stuff I was into as a kid, MOTU was prolly my favorite. When I would go a store my mom would let me pick out a figure. So many good memories, to this day some 30 yrs later I can still tell you where I got certain figures. One of the fondest memories I have is from Sy-Klone. When my grandmother would watch me when my mom was at work, I’d ask Sy-Klone which way my mom was. I’d move him around to make the lil radar display on his chest move and point that way!

If they do a Whiplash Origins. I am soo going to recreate this pic.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
That figure, story and picture rules and now I want a shirt that has ROLL-UP JEANS all over it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DrChud posted:

If they do a Whiplash Origins. I am soo going to recreate this pic.

Now I'm just interested if there was a brand of jeans called Roll-Up, or is that shirt just promoting the general notion of rolling up your jean pant legs?

Edit: This thread is now PYF picture of young you with toys. This pic is now cancelled due to them racist Duke boys.

davebo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 7, 2020

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I just got the two I ordered from Amazon today.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has anybody ever heard of Green Wolf Studios?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Never heard of them before, but they're legit and not a fly by night Chinese company so that's a good sign.

They make military stuff though so I wouldn't expect anything too much fancier.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey collectors, if you have been on eBay for a long time, check your eBay messages. You might have received a $25 coupon code for any transaction of $25.01 or more.

There is so much stuff I want coming out in the next few months, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to get in the $25 - $30 range right now, to make it worthwhile to take advantage of the coupon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Current account is only ten years old so that blows.

Anyways, heading out tomorrow to hopefully grab a complete Land Shark and Battle Bones. Dude also has a few things I just grabbed but his are complete and some of mine are broken or missing parts.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey collectors, if you have been on eBay for a long time, check your eBay messages. You might have received a $25 coupon code for any transaction of $25.01 or more.

There is so much stuff I want coming out in the next few months, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to get in the $25 - $30 range right now, to make it worthwhile to take advantage of the coupon.

Thanks for the tip! I've had this email for almost two weeks and didn't even notice it. Now I just need to figure out what to use it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hmm... I've been a member since 2001, I don't see any messages like that. :(