Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why the gently caress was this Resident Evil poo poo happening at Disney

Countdown to Q idiots saying that these are the sheds where Disney sacrifices the children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Craptacular! posted:

Why the gently caress was this Resident Evil poo poo happening at Disney

Countdown to Q idiots saying that these are the sheds where Disney sacrifices the children.

Wait, are you telling me Disney DOESN'T practice human sacrifice as a routine business strategy?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Jurrasic Park coaster that doesn't exist looks loving amazing.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As a person who doesn't care for coasters, especially that type of coaster, it does look pretty nice right along the water like that.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Hands down it’s gonna be the best attraction at IOA. (see username lol)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rolly coasters scare me s imma skip. But I’ll gladly watch the on ride footage with a fan in my face lol

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Rolly coasters scare me s imma skip. But I’ll gladly watch the on ride footage with a fan in my face lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s more my speed!!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Coasterphreak posted:

Hands down it’s gonna be the best attraction at IOA. (see username lol)

That will always be the Jurassic Park boat ride, but agree to disagree.

I really hope they don't Jurassic World-ify the boat ride in Orlando.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They might have too for rights issues. I don’t know if that was anything but a rumor though.

If they do they should just add the mossasaurus and keep the rest of the ride pretty much the same.

Maybe throw in that stupid irex somewhere and blue but that’s it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I've had a very up and down couple of days.

But OG Anunoby just hit a game winner and these came in the mail :D

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Beachcomber posted:

That will always be the Jurassic Park boat ride, but agree to disagree.

I really hope they don't Jurassic World-ify the boat ride in Orlando.

If it gets them to update the drat dinosaur animatronics besides the T-Rex, I'm for it. That ride looks terrible most days now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If it gets them to update the drat dinosaur animatronics besides the T-Rex, I'm for it. That ride looks terrible most days now.

It looked lovely to me in December. :swoon:

Anyway, watch this ride through and see if you feel the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHv6hKvEzMg

Iirc, I've previously written a dissertation of everything I find wrong with it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

There's a lot wrong with Jurassic World but maybe the most egregious is replacing the gate evocative of the iconic movie door with that generic industrial gate.

(Disclaimer I've only ridden the version in Florida)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
anyone taking a schoolcation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/09/04/disney-world-schoolcation/

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

For anyone else running into the paywall here, a new private browsing window seems to make it work.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/AliciaStella/status/1302261941864366081?s=20

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ain't much happening now and I just found my photos from Disneyland Paris three years ago. So here's a bunch of them. (Keep in mind I didn't care much about the parks at the time. That didn't happen until six months later.)

Starting with studios, the most depressing Disney park.

This is weird. The first thing you really go through is a giant warehouse where they modeled it to look sorta like Hollywood?

After you come through the warehouse you see the partner statue and this.

Just jumping to the Ratatouille area. Carts that line the walkway based on the various appellations of France. Didn't get to go to any. We were very short on time and had a reservation at this next place.

There's a point where, once you pass the check-in podium you "get shrunk down to the size of a rat"

There are a few different courses you can pick. As far as I remember they aren't as wildly expensive as the US parks. AND in general France doesn't treat beouf like some crazy expensive thing. It was pretty awesome.

That's it from studios. I guess I didn't take a lot more photos, but in general there wasn't much to it. I spent a lot of time trying to find a drat ATM (there is ONE by guest services). I"ll do a double post for actual Disneyland.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Alright here's Disneyland Paris photos. I'll try to keep it to the interesting differences from the things we know.

You have to walk under the hotel to get to the gates. It was pretty busy and it was a marathon day. My sister had stayed nearby so we had to wait for her come back with her luggage and check it in.

Their castle is raised. The rectangular trees are pretty dope.

The first thing is hilarious to me because, since I grew up in northern California, all they talk about is the gold rush in school. They rarely mention the "lol it was a failure" part. They also failed to mention the Chinese wage-slaves, but that's a whole different topic. Also there's big thunder. Didn't get to ride it.

A pretty cool halloween decoration... but was very strangely placed. Phantom Manor was the longest wait, but it was pretty dope. Kinda wish I could ride it now that I have both Mansions stuck in my head.

Their pirates had just finished refurbishment. They added in the hella cool effect where there's a human-looking Barbossa, then a lightning flash shows him as a skeleton.

Here's the Discovery Land based on Jules Verne stuff that all the Youtube folks love to talk about. The area where the zeppelin is a big food hall. They will only let you buy beer if you get something to eat as well. The TVs in side were looping clips from the Star Wars CGI series.

And I end with my favorite part of the park. Finally some goddamn Wall-E recognition.

Edit: Jesus christ I forgot the goddamn dragon under the castle. lovely photos. But the castle is raised because they have a whole attraction underneath with GIANT DRAGON ANIMATRONIC. Hard to take photos of because it's real dark.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 6, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fartington Butts posted:

Also there's big thunder. Didn't get to ride it.

All you missed was the best iteration of Big Thunder on the planet. But at least you got to see Phantom Manor so your time wasn’t wasted.

They said “naw, gently caress that” to Tom Sawyer Island and built the Big Thunder Mesa on the island instead, with trains going under the river to the island. DLP lacks a lot of stuff but they hit it out of the park with the classics.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 7, 2020

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The dragon, Big Thunder, and Space Mountain are all excellent. I can’t wait to eventually go back and try the new restraints on Space that don’t try and decapitate you.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit: Jesus christ I forgot the goddamn dragon under the castle. lovely photos. But the castle is raised because they have a whole attraction underneath with GIANT DRAGON ANIMATRONIC. Hard to take photos of because it's real dark.

The word attraction seems overstated here. I never saw more than just an animatronic which growled a little.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
It is very upsetting that Disneyland hasn’t used this extended closure to fix the people mover

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

BlueBayou posted:

It is very upsetting that Disneyland hasn’t used this extended closure to fix the people mover

While this would be the ideal time to do it, the entire track and supports would need to be replaced because of both the nonsense they did to it for Rocket Rods and because of the now many years of neglect. Disney ain't ever gonna front the cash for that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd prefer they just remove what remains of the track.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While this would be the ideal time to do it, the entire track and supports would need to be replaced because of both the nonsense they did to it for Rocket Rods and because of the now many years of neglect. Disney ain't ever gonna front the cash for that.

Yeah and making the changes in the Tomorrowland part proper would mean having to close big swaths of Tomorrowland for a long period of time..... which is why now is so perfect.

I get that the straight up money cost is prohibitive. But normally there is also the "and also you'd have to close stuff for a long time" part that sucks.

Also, totally off-topic: I want Universal and Disney to do a trade.
- Disney gets either the right to build one Marvel ride in Orlando that they otherwise wouldn't be allowed to OR the right to build a kuka arm ride.
- Universal gets to build an almost exact clone of Radiator Springs Racers. But instead its Fast and Furious themed. Just literally exactly RSR, except the theming is LA and street racing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I thought of this thread first.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

That Jurrasic Park coaster that doesn't exist looks loving amazing.
Agreed, it looks like they took the second half of Taron and attached an entire iSpeed to the end of it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Who needs social distancing?

https://twitter.com/universalorl/status/1304402152450928642?s=21

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I wish desantis was a good person

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Asehujiko posted:

Agreed, it looks like they took the second half of Taron and attached an entire iSpeed to the end of it.

I really wasn’t feeling the layout on this but it looks so much more impressive now that they’ve progressed with construction.

I was supposed to be going on Taron and F.L.Y. right about now :reject:

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

Dugong posted:

I really wasn’t feeling the layout on this but it looks so much more impressive now that they’ve progressed with construction.

I was supposed to be going on Taron and F.L.Y. right about now :reject:

Just spent the last two days doing Taron about 5 times a day. Was my first time In Phantasialand and what an amazing park!! We stayed onsite at Matamba and had Black Mamba for breakfast each day! F.L.Y. Still isn’t open yet though!!! Apparently it might have cast previews in the next few weeks with a soft opening soon but little to no official word. We’ve been to so many German parks during corona times. And everyone has been so well behaved too. Greetings from a grown up country I guess 😀.

Small edit : we stopped splitting up rows of people not long after our lockdowns ended as long as masks are worn on ride too. Haven’t heard about any outbreaks being traced back to theme parks here yet. So it might be enough?

Absolute Zeroes fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 12, 2020

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Fuuuuck

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/1305241607642386432?s=19

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/1305243110176219136?s=19

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So my wife and I took a childless trip to Disney World for a mental break. Had grandparents keep the baby, masked up and went for it. Plus, I'm moving out of Florida soon and wanted one last Disney trip as a resident.

Anyhow, social distanced Disney is simultaneously depressing, weird and also awesome.

We stayed at Old Key West the first night, then Boardwalk the second and third. We also only hit MK and DHS. We had two days left on a Florida resident deal we bought in January.

Some thoughts...

-- we were never much on doing meet and greets, but not seeing characters really anywhere aside from wandering around in out of reach spaces was really weird. Although at MK, in fairness, it felt kind of natural because the characters just seemed like they were at their home and saying hi to you from afar. At DHS, that didn't work. Only seeing Rey or Kylo Ren appear from 30 feet away and just stare blankly was silly.

-- agree or disagree with Disney being open, they are being strict as gently caress about masks and going all out on cleaning. I felt safer, in general, here than an average trip to a grocery store. They have their poo poo together I think.

-- Mobile ordering and social distanced queues are AMAZING. Those are changes I hope stay forever. Its a little disconcerting to get in a line at a point that you are used to indicating a 3+ hour wait, but every line moved very efficiently, aside from the hourly 10 minute stoppages for cleaning. And we didn't have one inpatient guest all up our rear end in line because they don't understand personal space.

-- Dining options are limited so it was hard to plan what to eat. Lines for food and shopping were the hardest things to navigate in general.

-- As for the two resorts we stayed at, everything seemed like business as usual. Except Boardwalk has its own little entertainment district, so its weird to be out in that area and nothing is happening.

-- misc - Skyliners are pretty cool. Wish they had more routes. And Rise of the Resistance is so awesome, but Smugglers Run underwhelmed. SR felt about like Star Tours with some buttons to mash.

Overall, it was great for us and I'm glad we did it. The CMs all seemed in good spirits and made a lot of effort to make it a great experience.

If anyone has questions about COVI-Disney with parks or resorts, happy to answer anything I can.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Oh, and since this was my first time at Galaxy's Edge, I really get a lot of the gripes now. The regular CMs having to double as entertainment was so odd. For every CM that were super into the dialog and tried hard to sell the immersion, there was another like, "Yeah, the bathr--- ugh, refresher is there." You could tell they were just there for a check.

But Ronto Roaster is the best quick service that park has ever had. And I say that as someone whose visited DHS since 1989/90. Woody's lunchbox was closed, so I can't compare it to that one at least.

We are already planning another trip for after we move away to give Star Wars and Toy Story land a proper go.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
With the lowered capacity and all the other factors, did you have a hard time getting a boarding pass for Rise of Resistance? Does the app have a tendency to poo poo itself right at 10am and 2pm since everyone else is doing the same thing you are?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Jose Oquendo posted:

With the lowered capacity and all the other factors, did you have a hard time getting a boarding pass for Rise of Resistance? Does the app have a tendency to poo poo itself right at 10am and 2pm since everyone else is doing the same thing you are?

I actually managed to get super lucky and get Group 1. Mind you, a person about 10 feet from me failed to get a spot and we started at the same moment. Within maybe 15 to 30 seconds, the 10 am boarding was totally gone. The 2 pm slots went just as quickly.

But the app worked flawlessly all day, including around the two boarding group times when the entire park was on it.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

Doronin posted:

So my wife and I took a childless trip to Disney World for a mental break. Had grandparents keep the baby, masked up and went for it. Plus, I'm moving out of Florida soon and wanted one last Disney trip as a resident...

...If anyone has questions about COVI-Disney with parks or resorts, happy to answer anything I can.

Thanks Dolornin. Really matches up with my experiences in Disneyland Paris and the few theme parks we’ve made it to in Germany so far. Masks are always worn, queues are so much calmer with social distancing, and even during what should have been the busiest days, queues have been between walk on and 20 -30mins. In Paris the effort they have made to make it still a “Disney” experience despite all the things missing was exemplary. 5 minutes to queue for a selfie with a character instead of an hour plus for the traditional meet and greet. Random unannounced mini parades and characters inhabiting the spaces they belong too, like having princesses in the castle. (No end of night show... but it needs a break/refresh anyway).

It feels to us that theme parks are one of the few less risky places to enjoy yourself with the combo of open air, responsible like minded people and a crew looking out for everyone. I don’t know if it’s sustainable for the companies involved but it’s helped make something of our summer having these places to go to and have some fun and keep our mental health in balance before we lock down again for winter.

We still hope to visit Florida next year for the first time, which is why I enjoy reading all the posts here, but who knows what happens between now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Doronin posted:

-- misc - Skyliners are pretty cool. Wish they had more routes. And Rise of the Resistance is so awesome, but Smugglers Run underwhelmed. SR felt about like Star Tours with some buttons to mash.

it’s worse than star tours. on star tours you can kick back and enjoy the show. on SR you have to constantly look away from the screen to hit buttons which aren’t even good gameplay (I was engineer it’s just wait for a button to light up and hit it quick). Plus on star tours fun stuff happens to you like darth vader grabbing your ship, etc.