Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I went down the rabbit hole of reading up about the historical Daurama Daura and Kanem-Bornu, so that was neat.

I have been thinking about doing this too! Gonna need to build a CK3 booklist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eej posted:

This looks like a nightmare to manage

it actually wasn't too bad while it lasted. there was basically just one super powerful vassal and everyone else was either weak or an african who liked me
i had high intrigue and fabricated a hook on him then got him to marry one of my kids for an alliance and that was pretty much that.
once he died it got harder since his kingdom split into multiple large armies.

my ruler had maxed out the torturer intrigue tree when i took over her which is extremely strong since its very easy to get a permanent 100 dread which discourages a LOT of vassal fuckery.

Even when her heir then took I managed to give him extremely high diplomacy through his wife and then married a bunch. He was a good if a bit evil king actually, but he died of plague and his son, an extremely nice boy took over.

Probably the first nice person to rule the empire in centuries and he got immediately couped.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2020

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
In the last 2 867 games I have played, AI Haesteinn has been the absolute chaos viking and successfully invaded Lotharingia, seizing Cologne and triggering Crusades in 870 AD. I don’t think I have ever seen him go for Brittany once.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I am the emperor of Britannia, and my son and heir randomly got a barony in Poland. Because of this I am unable to disinherit him or bring him to court, or even seize the barony, or even claim it. Is this something that I have to worry about once the succession passes over? Even if I was able to kill him his sibling would inherit it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
boy I really struggle to interpret this game sometimes. If you're in the middle of a war and die, can you not enforce the original demands when you win a war? I managed to win in a war to claim a county, die, my son takes over and eventually wins, but when I go to enforce the demands, the war just...ends? I don't have the county, it's still under the original guy's control. Kinda feels like a big waste - especially since my uncle took the Earldom of Ulster with him so my territory got even smaller.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Is there any way to just raise your men at arms and knights? A lot of the time when I'm fighting or raiding I find that's really all I need. I can do it by raising the army and then splitting off and disbanding the levies but that's a very tedious method especially as you acquire more vassals.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, is this a bug? I've just had this happen and I am very much weirded out by it?

I am currently playing as Harald II, but have just died:

My succesor is my Nephew:

He is now High King of Scandinavia and King of Norway. All well and good.

However my capital province was Vestfold and has been inherited by this person:

I don't understand I had made Vestfold the Capital of a multi-kingdom spanning Empire and for some odd reason this random lady inherits? She is Harald II Grand-daughter?! She has also somehow become head of the household despite being 13?

I do not understand in the slightest Iota what the gently caress is happening? Surely the most powerful house member should be head of the household, if I can't institute primogeniture in my realm it sure as gently caress shouldn't apply to my family line.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

For anyone dumb enough like me to play Ironman - if the game crashes it eats the entire save. Sooo I don't recommend it. Lost a 10 hour game entirely....

Only reason I'm not losing my mind too much over it as that I was kinda getting fed up with it already. It's definitely much harder to blob in CK3 than in CK2 as the Vikings. Despite Sweden, Norway, Finland and large chunks of UK having at one point been mine I never managed to form an Empire to and every kings life seemed to turn out much the same....

Frantically try to consolidate Scandinavia or Britannia - die trying and have the whole thing fall apart again.

This is made really hard by the fact that the boats are just broken - various of my vassals have territories in the middle east which is just absurd. Why are my viking bros picking fights with Muslims in 890....

So if I want to reclaim Denmark, I have to deal with the fact that Denmark owns land not just in Spain but several holdings south of Gibraltar and getting 100% warscore without them and without getting lucky with a prisoner was not possible - so the wars drag on way longer than should be reasonable.

I am also confused how anyone is surviving as Ireland or England, in every game I've played it's completely overrun by nords who are able to drop 8k troops casually on the coastline.

My Alba playthrough didn't make it far due to constant attacks from random vikings until they consolidated as Sweden and then just walked through Ireland and then came for Alba completely overrunning me with 12k. Such power projection was completely non viable in CK2...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

For anyone dumb enough like me to play Ironman - if the game crashes it eats the entire save. Sooo I don't recommend it. Lost a 10 hour game entirely....

I thought this too but I found the save. Uncheck and check again the "show incompatible saves" checkbox in the load screen and it may appear. That happens to my last played save sometimes, and I don't know why. If that doesn't work, go into the CK3 folder in your documents folder, then find the crashes folder there. There should be a last_save.ck3 file in that. Copy that over to your saves folder and you should be able to resume your campaign.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They need to let upgraded tribal buildings carry over when you feudalize imo.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I thought this too but I found the save. Uncheck and check again the "show incompatible saves" checkbox in the load screen and it may appear. That happens to my last played save sometimes, and I don't know why. If that doesn't work, go into the CK3 folder in your documents folder, then find the crashes folder there. There should be a last_save.ck3 file in that. Copy that over to your saves folder and you should be able to resume your campaign.

Thanks for the tip - will take a look

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can you seduce your parents in this game? I want to make a whole load of hosed up kids

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

Thanks for the tip - will take a look

Also try hitting Load Game, then hitting Back. I don't know why it works, but sometimes my last played save disappears, and doing that makes it reappear.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Jose posted:

Can you seduce your parents in this game? I want to make a whole load of hosed up kids

Probably, my son and heir slept with his mother. Then he committed a bunch of murders around the castle and, when i confronted him about it, fled the court. I had no one else though so had to eventually invite him back and now this murderous motherfucker is running things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Eltoasto posted:

Probably, my son and heir slept with his mother. Then he committed a bunch of murders around the castle and, when i confronted him about it, fled the court. I had no one else though so had to eventually invite him back and now this murderous motherfucker is running things.

Lol incredible. It wasn't possible in ck2 for whatever reason

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

I'm gonna try this out on Game Pass. If I like it, do I have to buy it from Game Pass to keep my save data? If I do, will it show up in my Steam library too?

I haven't done this but I think it should keep your save data. It's just located in the Documents folder like any other paradox game. I imagine the Steam version looks in the same place.

Communist Thoughts posted:

anyone know how to expand what i get left with after partition? even now its still just a county basically and a bad one lol

do i just need high partition?

So, the partition system is kinda weird. It doesn't seem to judge how many titles it needs to give to your secondary heirs based on your current number of holdings. I'm not sure how it judges it exactly, but it may be based on your realm size instead. This both good and bad. It's good because if you give your secondary heirs land as you expand, they won't ask for more during the partition because they'll be content with what they have. The bad part is that if you don't do this, then the game decides what all your secondary heirs are owed before your primary heir, and it's possible to get into a situation where your secondaries are all getting a bunch of titles each while your primary is getting 1. Which hardly seems equal to me, but what do I know.

In terms of which titles get handed out, it appears the game makes an effort to keep your primary county/duchy and all titles associated with it if at all possible. Beyond that, it gets a bit border gory, with titles being divvied up between your secondary heirs without care to which duchies they belong to. As I said though, you can preempt the game by handing out titles yourself so you can have at least somewhat cleaner internal borders.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is the "Realm will lose land when Vassal dies" warning message bugged if you have high crown authority, or is that high crown authority is bugged and I'm actually going to lose this land?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chalks posted:

Is the "Realm will lose land when Vassal dies" warning message bugged if you have high crown authority, or is that high crown authority is bugged and I'm actually going to lose this land?

I think it's high crown authority that's bugged. I've seen some posts saying that they've lost titles from their realms despite their high authority.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I think it's high crown authority that's bugged. I've seen some posts saying that they've lost titles from their realms despite their high authority.

Time to start stabbing I guess

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Just in general, some of the anti-bordergore measures (crown authority, exclave independence, and also some of the gavelkind partition logic as discussed above) seem to be a bit… wonky at the moment. It definitely feels like one of those things they need to give a good work-over for the first major bugfix pass.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SubNat posted:

Someone in the thread earlier mentioned that the 'Station Besiegers' button loving leaves behind men-at-arms instead of levy forces.
I checked and yeah.

That is pretty loving bad, the group of besiegers it left behind was -purely- Man-at-arms.
So if you use it a lot your army's spearhead is just going to be garbage levy units, while the actually skilled units will be doing gently caress all.
If there's a chance of combat you're probably way better off just splitting the army instead, that way you won't be commanding a peasant army after 2-3 siege dropoffs.

It makes me wish there was a 'split off Levy / man at arms' forces button, so that I could atleast manage that better.

e: It makes me wonder if they did it just to make it so that the siege man-at-arms units would be left at sieges, and didn't care/notice that it just dropped off Men-at-arms in general.
(Or maybe it was a 'good enough for launch' situation, where they'll be going over things with a finer brush after launch.)

If by "splitting the army instead" you mean use the split in half feature, then there's a better way. You can still manually split off individual "regiments" by clicking one of the army management buttons. Just drop off roughly 2x the garrison size in levies. Clicking the split army in half button also does weird things with men at arms, frustratingly.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Some Norwegian fucker took hold of a single Irish coastal county before I got to it and they loving raise 8-9k troops immediately if I try to take it lol. I guess they can just loving have it.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 6, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Teleporting men-at-arms using rally points does feel kind of cheaty.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tetramin posted:

Some Norwegian fucker took hold of a single Irish coastal county before I got to it and they loving raise 8-9k troops immediately if I try to take it lol. I guess they can just loving have it.

Try stabbing him, his heir should be less prestigious and will be able to call on less troops, especially if the owner's lands have been split among multiple heirs.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
As soon as succession happens my campaigns usually go to poo poo. What should I be doing before the ruler dies to bolster the next in line's chances?

This latest scenario I don't get: I'm the only heir to the kingdom, the succession laws give it all to me, but my cousin immediately calls an army and trounces me. To be honest I didn't even realize this son of a son of a count existed, and he's not even in my dynasty. The entire kingdom factions up with this dude to overthrow the rightful heir because they all have claims. Are you supposed to try to suppress every person in Europe who may have an unpressed claim?

Also once a kingdom has been divided up, is there any alternative way to reunite it without literally re-conquering each county?

On the up side, I've had a lot of fun as an intrigue ruler picking the owner of a sprawling kingdom, fabricating a hook on them, looking up their heir (usually betrothed), murdering and abducting the betrothed and then immediately arranging my own children to force-marry the heir by using the hook I made up.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 6, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Try stabbing him, his heir should be less prestigious and will be able to call on less troops, especially if the owner's lands have been split among multiple heirs.

Yeah. I need to get better at working around ridiculous levy differences. This guy was king of Norway and I couldn’t get a decent plot going on him, I tried to manufacture some hooks in his court but ended up dying and losing everything including my realm capital, my heir was left with the kingdom and dublinn only, giving me the weakest military and economy of all the heirs. I called it quits on that game lol.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

There's no actual way to steal this man's wealth, is there?

It feels wrong to see it there going to waste by it sitting there. I would try banishment but I don't want unneeded tyranny right now, and I don't even see banishment as a thing on any of my prisoners.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It feels wrong to see it there going to waste by it sitting there. I would try banishment but I don't want unneeded tyranny right now, and I don't even see banishment as a thing on any of my prisoners.

:thunk:

If this works like CK2 and he has no family, the money may go to you when he dies. I mean, if he's 70, you don't even have to get impatient and do a murder plot.
Otherwise, you can marry him to a post-menopausal woman, give him a Fuedal title you have under you, like a barony or County, and then when he dies, the title and money will go to you. I would try the first option first, though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think Communion might be a little broken and should probably not be allowed with Temporal heads of faith, I've seen some reports of people making ridiculous bank (and being spammed with requests) if they're the Head of Faith and have Communion.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I don't think there's an easy way to get that wealth. I've seen banishment as an option but I'm not 100% what makes it appear.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
One of my vassals used a favor hook to force himself onto my counsel for a quarter of a century.

Aww geeze man, you really got me over a barrel, guess I have no choice!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

If by "splitting the army instead" you mean use the split in half feature, then there's a better way. You can still manually split off individual "regiments" by clicking one of the army management buttons. Just drop off roughly 2x the garrison size in levies. Clicking the split army in half button also does weird things with men at arms, frustratingly.

Thanks!, I'll look into that next time, I hadn't thought of using that.

Also I'm a huge fan of when you start up a war that's probably going to take a while.
And then it's over with the first loving battle because the AI is an idiot that had his ruler commanding the troops, and got captured.

I hadn't even gotten around to sieging a single holding yet.

trapped mouse posted:

One of my vassals used a favor hook to force himself onto my counsel for a quarter of a century.

Aww geeze man, you really got me over a barrel, guess I have no choice!

Yeah, it's a lot worse when shitheel 7-9 point dipshits force their way onto the council.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chewbot posted:

As soon as succession happens my campaigns usually go to poo poo. What should I be doing before the ruler dies to bolster the next in line's chances?

This latest scenario I don't get: I'm the only heir to the kingdom, the succession laws give it all to me, but my cousin immediately calls an army and trounces me. To be honest I didn't even realize this son of a son of a count existed, and he's not even in my dynasty. The entire kingdom factions up with this dude to overthrow the rightful heir because they all have claims. Are you supposed to try to suppress every person in Europe who may have an unpressed claim?

Also once a kingdom has been divided up, is there any alternative way to reunite it without literally re-conquering each county?

On the up side, I've had a lot of fun as an intrigue ruler picking the owner of a sprawling kingdom, fabricating a hook on them, looking up their heir (usually betrothed), murdering and abducting the betrothed and then immediately arranging my own children to force-marry the heir by using the hook I made up.

You're supposed to build alliances. Identify your powerful vassals and when your heir comes to power, marry/betroth their close family off to those vassals families, which prevents them from joining or starting factions against you, and they'll aid you if poo poo hits the fan anyway.

If you have no diplomatic skills and no ability to build alliances, then at least try to build friendships. If this isn't possible either, then you're probably about to get turbofucked.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

You're supposed to build alliances. Identify your powerful vassals and when your heir comes to power, marry/betroth their close family off to those vassals families, which prevents them from joining or starting factions against you, and they'll aid you if poo poo hits the fan anyway.

If you have no diplomatic skills and no ability to build alliances, then at least try to build friendships. If this isn't possible either, then you're probably about to get turbofucked.

Oh snap, thanks! For some reason it never occurred to me I can make alliances with my own vassals.

Turbofucked is an accurate description :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really enjoying how all these succession issues echo real life. Nobles resisted primogeniture for a while because they couldn't take advantage of succession chaos to jockey for power anymore.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

They need to let upgraded tribal buildings carry over when you feudalize imo.

Do they not transform into the basic feudal buildings like in CK2?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Man. This guy. He was the second count of Anjoy, and I just finished playing him (he just died that is). He looks a bit brutish but otherwise unassuming, but there's more to him than meets the eye. He was an intricate webweaver, I maxed out the Schemer perk tree and also took Golden Obligations from the Avaricious tree (he was greedy, arbitray and deceitful).

He was the spymaster of France (I fabricated a hook on the king and forced him to make me spymaster). Fabricate hook schemes pretty much always took no longer than 12 months to complete and nearly all have a 95% chance of success. I was always running two at a time and bleeding the kingdom dry. In the last decade of his life I started abducting people and either torturing the to boost my dread or (if they were higher ranked) ransoming them for more money than I could get out of just demanding payment for hooks.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

That's nothing.

I think in the current implementation there just isn't anything for the Pope (or other similar religious heads) to spend their money on, other than buildings and mercs. They seem to either have toned down their aggression or disabled most CBs for them, but you occasionally see the Pope ending up with blotches of land here and there in Italy and North Africa, because he can just hire all the mercs and auto-win any war.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 6, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sheep posted:

Do they not transform into the basic feudal buildings like in CK2?

Nope.

Going Tribal to Feudal is pretty much broken in my opinion. It's tough to just get to the stage, and when you do, it basically puts your power back about 50 years until you rebuild - and in that period you basically have no troops as you can't afford your new gold cost men at arms.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Really enjoying how all these succession issues echo real life. Nobles resisted primogeniture for a while because they couldn't take advantage of succession chaos to jockey for power anymore.

Yeah honestly I like that primogen is much later in the game than it was in CK2. Gavelkind was basically just a "tribal problem" even starting as far back as Charlemagne. You dealt with it for maybe 2-3 generations at most and then it was a non-issue for the rest of the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Twice now, using Conquer Duchy hasn't transferred the duchy to me on victory.

I'm positive it worked on literally these same kingdoms before.

FileNotFound posted:

Nope.

Going Tribal to Feudal is pretty much broken in my opinion. It's tough to just get to the stage, and when you do, it basically puts your power back about 50 years until you rebuild - and in that period you basically have no troops as you can't afford your new gold cost men at arms.

Ouch. Fortunately, I'm going to have a trillion gold going into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Twice now, using Conquer Duchy hasn't transferred the duchy to me on victory.

Isn't it supposed to only transfer the lands belonging to the duchy?