Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Microcenter confirms there won't be any online ordering for the 30XX series.

https://twitter.com/microcenter/status/1302306270913888256

Has anyone ever gone on launch day? How early do you need to show up/how many do they usually have? I have that week off of work so I'm not opposed to doing something silly for some silicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

axeil posted:

Has anyone ever gone on launch day? How early do you need to show up/how many do they usually have? I have that week off of work so I'm not opposed to doing something silly for some silicon.

Doesn't that just mean that online orders won't go live until stores open?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
More photos of the 3090 FE revealed!

j/k it's a new Skoda EV SUV https://www.autickar.cz/files/obrazky/clanky/9302/clanky-112621.png

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

It means there is no way to order/buy them without picking them up at a store. I don't know whether it's an anti-scalping measure, the result of low stock, or to drive upsale.

You can order or reserve online, but you still have to pick it up.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ufarn posted:

It means there is no way to order/buy them without picking them up at a store. I don't know whether it's an anti-scalping measure, the result of low stock, or to drive upsale.

I thought Microcenter doesn't ship, everything is in store.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

Possibly, I don't have any experience with the store. Managing the logistics of shipping is a pain if you can deal with losing out on that segment.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Heads up that these (in general, across all sites) go through a system with pretty lackadaisical performance, often 30-45 minutes real world delivery times, and there is a very good chance it will be sold out by the time you get the email, assuming it sends at all once it sees that they’re sold out.

You will want to use something like NowInStock or good old f5’ing instead.

The one good thing about email notifications is they do give you a chance if some site mistakenly puts them up at a weird time, like if Best Buy accidentally releases the cards at say 3am instead of 9am or whatever.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, they don't. They do let you order online and the staff will pull it for you to pick up, but they don't do that for limited quantity / high demand items. Probably just to get people into the store, they don't make any margin on the components themselves, same deal on their anti-scalping limits.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

axeil posted:

I got a 3950X at Microcenter on launch day, they only had a few. For this launch you'd probably want to get there several hours before opening time. If you call the day before launch they might be able to tell you how many they have.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Some Goon posted:

Yeah, they don't. They do let you order online and the staff will pull it for you to pick up, but they don't do that for limited quantity / high demand items. Probably just to get people into the store, they don't make any margin on the components themselves, same deal on their anti-scalping limits.

Yep, the store will have these on shelves first and reps have to go pick them up from there to fulfill in-store pickup orders, but since there will be a line of people outside of the door, they're not gonna bother and just prioritize the people who waited in line.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

axeil posted:

I was working at BestBuy during the Xbone launch unloading inventory. People were lining up 4 hours ahead of store open. We also held Xboxs back so we didn't sell out before Black Friday.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sean10mm posted:

I mean mext gen consoles have a slower version of a 3700x, they'd have to be outright incompetent to make the game require nothing less than a 10900k or overcloxked 10600k to be worth a poo poo.

Which isn't impossible but would be real wierd.

you forget that most players don't mind playing at ~30 fps

e: also: https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1302446050666590214

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 6, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

I was working at BestBuy during the Xbone launch unloading inventory. People were lining up 4 hours ahead of store open. We also held Xboxs back so we didn't sell out before Black Friday.

Wow so you DID have some more in the back

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wow so you DID have some more in the back

I don't understand why you would do that. Like if you can sell them now, sell them now. It's not like big box stores have ever had trouble getting people in the doors on black Fridays with the promise of $200 tvs...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Advertising laws probably.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VorpalFish posted:

I don't understand why you would do that.

Probably because "we ran out of a very limited item on launch day" is a lot more understandable from a PR perspective than "we don't have any on the biggest shopping day of the year" is.

Nerds are out shopping launch day. Mom is out shopping on Black Friday. Nerds will put up with a lot more bullshit than mom will, generally.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Buy me BoneStorm or go to hell.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

axeil posted:

Great not like there's a pandemic going on.

edit:

Incessant Excess posted:

Oh yeah probably.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hackan Slash posted:

They do have a lot of products that are in-store only, which seems to include all video cards currently, but they definitely offer online ordering shipped directly to you.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Hackan Slash posted:

They ship the issue is every single insane deal that you see get posted online in an In Store only offer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

gradenko_2000 posted:

The main thing to keep in mind is to make sure that whichever panel you're laying down to face the floor isn't being used for airflow, but otherwise, if you already have a set-up like pulling air in from the front and exhausting it out the back, that should still work even with the case laying on its side. You might lose SOME airflow if you're using the top of the case to exhaust hot air as it rises, but probably not enough for it to matter?

Also, since cases aren't exactly designed to be used like that anymore, I wouldn't put anything on top of the side-panel unless you're very sure of what you're doing.

I'd probably just lay it down on the back corner of my desk. That being said, there is a 3"x3" section of mesh on that panel, but it has a bunch of angles and stuff going on anyway so if I were to lay it down, I'd probably set it on blocks or something so it was level, which would probably give that mesh bit some room to breathe.

The top of my case has fans, so I suspect I shouldn't have too many issues with passive heat buildup.

The other side (that would then be the top) is tempered glass, so I wouldn't be setting anything on it anyway.

Maybe this is all real dumb to think about though, and the size/weight of these cards still won't be an issue as long as I screw them in tight.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

jisforjosh posted:

They ship the issue is every single insane deal that you see get posted online in an In Store only offer.

Microcenter sounds like one of those insufferable stores that artificially tries to prop up their failing bricks and mortar shops to the detriment of their online service cos they can't see the writing on the wall and refuse to adapt

In the UK we gleefully let them collapse, our largest PC shop by a huge margin is an online-only shop with one single store in Newcastle

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Microcenter sounds like one of those insufferable stores that artificially tries to prop up their failing bricks and mortar shops to the detriment of their online service cos they can't see the writing on the wall and refuse to adapt

In the UK we gleefully let them collapse, our largest PC shop by a huge margin is an online-only shop with one single store in Newcastle

in the uk we privatised the post office and now we don't have any post offices anymore; hardly a utopia

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That's an entirely separate issue & I didn't vote for the people who did that. I do agree that the laissez faire attitude to services and business both private and public by the Tories has been to the detriment of our society

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

There's no margin to be made in computer hardware and you're not going to compete with the established players. Microcenter is an extended warranty and cable store with some big ticket items to get you in the door. They're a private company but by all appearances they're doing just fine for themselves.

They also carry lots of TVs and laptops and some cameras and maker stuff. Computer hardware is maybe a quarter of the store.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The Micro Centers near me are so incredibly far away from suffering it is unbelievable. I ordered something for pickup a few weeks ago on a Sunday, walked in the store, saw that the checkout line wrapped around half the store, and walked right back out and ordered on amazon. Everyone was wearing a mask, but there was no distancing in the line. It was at least a couple hundred people long.

It was worse than Black Friday and there weren't even any huge sales going on. People like having a local store with better prices than online.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's an entirely separate issue & I didn't vote for the people who did that. I do agree that the laissez faire attitude to services and business both private and public by the Tories has been to the detriment of our society

That's a different company. Fry's Electronics is the one that's a moldering corpse.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Duck and Cover posted:

Great not like there's a pandemic going on.

Look, if we're being told we need to be prepared to die for the economy and the 1%'s stock portfolios, at least we can risk our lives for something we actually want and enjoy, instead of scalped toilet paper out of the back of a Karen's SUV in the parking lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Miss the era of Comp USA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pyrotek posted:

The Micro Centers near me are so incredibly far away from suffering it is unbelievable. I ordered something for pickup a few weeks ago on a Sunday, walked in the store, saw that the checkout line wrapped around half the store, and walked right back out and ordered on amazon. Everyone was wearing a mask, but there was no distancing in the line. It was at least a couple hundred people long.

It was worse than Black Friday and there weren't even any huge sales going on. People like having a local store with better prices than online.

All the way back in like March, Boston Microcenter had a guy at the door who you had to let spray your hands with alcohol before you could come in. I was there a week ago and they still spray everyone's hands on top of requiring masks and having someone at both entrance and exit with a clicker to track the occupancy. They definitely kept 6 foot lines too. I don't care as much because I wear a full-face P100 but they're about the most diligent retail store I've seen.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's a different company. Fry's Electronics is the one that's a moldering corpse.

I went to my local Fry's recently and holy gently caress it's worse than I thought it'd be, literally only a fourth of the sales floor was even being used and what was still being used was picked over and bare. I was looking for a new gaming mouse and they had like five or six left in the building. I used to love going there :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chaleski posted:

I went to my local Fry's recently and holy gently caress it's worse than I thought it'd be, literally only a fourth of the sales floor was even being used and what was still being used was picked over and bare. I was looking for a new gaming mouse and they had like five or six left in the building. I used to love going there :negative:

That's what my Best Buy looked like when I visited last month. Maybe it's just covid-related.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
There's been a mad rush to buy PC hardware and peripherals since the pandemic started, since every office worker and kid needed a 2080Ti to do their Zoom calls and homework or something. :v:
Amazon had to prioritize delivering food, medicine and other essentials, so physical stores were often the best choice to get hardware in a reasonable time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'm pretty sure if best buy is empty right now its because they cant keep stuff in stock.

Theyre doing really well on the market and I imagine that is somewhat of an indicator for that company :shrug:

also convincing my parents i needed a 2080ti for school sounds great

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rinkles posted:

That's what my Best Buy looked like when I visited last month. Maybe it's just covid-related.

That's part of it, but Fry's has been circling the drain for a while.

This was in January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq2rUsUTL_0

That said, Microcenter is about the only place left where you can walk in and buy everything you need for a build. In the before-covid times it was a pretty fun place to just browse.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Isn't that the guy with the horribly racist chinese caricature alter-ego

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Frys was incredible last year when they were trying to stop the bleeding of their store revenues. They did some crazy poo poo. I got a new 2080 for $500. Unfortunately they realized they can't spur sales by giving away their entire store for free so it's pretty bad now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MicroCenter is great. Good combo deals and if you misplace / misremember that XXL Pak of SATA cables you swore you'd never go through, theres not a ton of options for same day service!

MicroCenter is indeed the closest thing you get get to replicating the feel of CompUSA. I grew up in the next town over from a CompUSA and that was absolutely my 100% most favorite place to go as a kid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

MicroCenter is indeed the closest thing you get get to replicating the feel of CompUSA. I grew up in the next town over from a CompUSA and that was absolutely my 100% most favorite place to go as a kid.

:same:

poo poo I miss CompUSA. Micro center is great but the nearest one to me is an hour away without traffic (there is always traffic). Still worth it if I need a ton of parts for a build ASAP, since Best Buy sucks, the
Marshals auctions can go for ages, and Newegg ain’t what it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:same:

poo poo I miss CompUSA. Micro center is great but the nearest one to me is an hour away without traffic (there is always traffic). Still worth it if I need a ton of parts for a build ASAP, since Best Buy sucks, the
Marshals auctions can go for ages, and Newegg ain’t what it used to be.

soo, we both talking the cambridge microcenter? lol

i will say that nobody that i talked to there had any idea about how monitors worked besides the size. that was kind of bewildering

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2020