Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

One of my favorite 00S2 bits is when Katharon shows up to beat the A-Laws with a bunch of regular Flags and then Kati shows up with Patrick to reinforce CB.

The Kati-Patrick power couple is one of the best parts of 00 s2, and I love that they've committed to it in the Build universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1302777090861867009?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That is frighteningly accurate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know what?

I can totally believe that Kai has claimed his name was "Lieutenant Shackleford. Rusty Shackleford." when infiltrating Titan bases.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ok i read all your words and thank you for them.

i think i'll try to finish double zeta and then do the chars counter attack and then 00 i guess.

I would say that yeah, I like the somber war story stuff better than the wacky comedy but I am not opposed to that at all either, I think that the tonal whiplash of zeta to double zeta was just too much to handle then.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

You know what?

I can totally believe that Kai has claimed his name was "Lieutenant Shackleford. Rusty Shackleford." when infiltrating Titan bases.

Of course this is UC Gundam so "Rusty Shackleford" is a bland name akin to John Smith.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ramadu posted:

ok i read all your words and thank you for them.

i think i'll try to finish double zeta and then do the chars counter attack and then 00 i guess.

I would say that yeah, I like the somber war story stuff better than the wacky comedy but I am not opposed to that at all either, I think that the tonal whiplash of zeta to double zeta was just too much to handle then.

Some of the goofy stuff is lame but zz settled in nicely. I liked it better on first watch than I dod zeta, honestly. On the other hand, I did watch it when the fandom consensus was it was ridiculously bad which shaped my impressions initially.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DamnGlitch posted:

Some of the goofy stuff is lame but zz settled in nicely. I liked it better on first watch than I dod zeta, honestly. On the other hand, I did watch it when the fandom consensus was it was ridiculously bad which shaped my impressions initially.

I'll be honest, I've in general gone into everything I've watched knowing literally nothing about how people think about gundam. The only thing I really have seen was like 2 or 3 episodes of Wing on toonami a decade ago and the memes about space colony neo-mexico and the horse gundam.

I'm coming into this with basically no preconceptions and I have pretty much enjoyed all that I've watched. 0079 was really tough because of the animation and I bet if they did a remake/remaster of the animations it would be really cool and get a lot of fans.

Double Zeta is the only one I bounced off of hard but I'm on episode 25 now and they are fighting old Zeon remnants in the deserts of africa (lol rommel) and it's a lot better now and Judau is getting episode by episode close to I think killing all the adults for being so bloodthirsty.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you’ve made it that far your through the bumpiest parts of ZZ so you’re probably good to go for the rest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ramadu posted:

I'm coming into this with basically no preconceptions and I have pretty much enjoyed all that I've watched. 0079 was really tough because of the animation and I bet if they did a remake/remaster of the animations it would be really cool and get a lot of fans.
I'd be OK with this but I wouldn't want them to fundamentally change the design or the color palette. 0079, for all its shittiness, actually has a god drat color exist in a military sci-fi setting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have negative interest in any sort of remake of the original, though it seems like a thing that will never happen anyway

it's like if you're only going to change how it looks then why bother, but also i don't really care to have them make sweeping changes to justify the update either. i mean origin is basically the latter thing anyway.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Leina :smith:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:lol: they're dropping a colony on DUBLIN?? haha what the gently caress

edit: lmao "in order to reduce the earths population" yikes

edit 2:

lol they dropped a 2 liter on dublin

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 7, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wish the Hathaway's Flash suits actually did something with all their size. It just seems weird to look at the Jegan or Geara Doga and go 'this needs to be a bigger target with less firepower'.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Honestly even though its old and there's animation reuse 0079 looks pretty good animation-wise imo.

Edit: I wish I could explain why I don't mind 0079's animation better, but to put it into words when the mobile suits fight it feels fluid and engaging if that makes sense? The same goes for the characters. Like with Dougram (which is still a really good show) I've never gotten as excited watching action and other stuff happen, with that show I'm interested in the character dynamics of the Fang of the Sun, space politics, and seeing how Crinn and his friends deal with fighting Earth.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 7, 2020

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Honestly even though its old and there's animation reuse 0079 looks pretty good animation-wise imo.

Edit: I wish I could explain why I don't mind 0079's animation better, but to put it into words when the mobile suits fight it feels fluid and engaging if that makes sense? The same goes for the characters. Like with Dougram (which is still a really good show) I've never gotten as excited watching action and other stuff happen, with that show I'm interested in the character dynamics of the Fang of the Sun, space politics, and seeing how Crinn and his friends deal with fighting Earth.

https://tenor.com/view/gundam-mobilesuitgundam-gif-5044347

cmon man

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
One of the best pieces of animation of all time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

0079 looks very good for a cheap toy commercial show from 40 years ago

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Tomino has always been very good at action choreography. His fights are still quite easy to follow even when they're utterly chaotic (hi, G-Reco), do a good job of conveying pilot skill levels and personalities, and make excellent, creative use of their environments and tactical contexts.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I wish the Hathaway's Flash suits actually did something with all their size. It just seems weird to look at the Jegan or Geara Doga and go 'this needs to be a bigger target with less firepower'.

Calling the Xi or Penelope 'less firepower' is a bit odd considering the ludicrous stuff they shoved in there along with the minovsky drive. Funnel Missiles are pretty drat good by themselves, but there's not a lot that four mega cannons can't do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has the movie been released yet or has the covid pandemic still put the kibosh on releasing Hathaway's Flash?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has the movie been released yet or has the covid pandemic still put the kibosh on releasing Hathaway's Flash?

Delayed.

Also relevant to music chat from a couple of pages ago, we might get to hear someone say “ash like snow” on the news this week:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

Delayed.

Also relevant to music chat from a couple of pages ago, we might get to hear someone say “ash like snow” on the news this week:

I remember this Mario Galaxy level

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Delayed.

It's probably quite temperate and pleasant in places like Boulder, Frisco and Limon until the fires consume you and everything you own.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ramadu posted:

:lol: they're dropping a colony on DUBLIN?? haha what the gently caress

edit: lmao "in order to reduce the earths population" yikes

edit 2:

lol they dropped a 2 liter on dublin

:allears: Gundam is amazingly unsubtle on most days. :allears:

But what Midjack said is right. I think thread consensus when I first watched ZZ was that right around Moon Moon was when the tone starts to find its footing and the wacky slapstick stops taking up the majority of the airtime. Episode 16-ish?

Droyer posted:

I remember this Mario Galaxy level

No that's definitely Banjo-Tooie.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

:allears: Gundam is amazingly unsubtle on most days. :allears:

But what Midjack said is right. I think thread consensus when I first watched ZZ was that right around Moon Moon was when the tone starts to find its footing and the wacky slapstick stops taking up the majority of the airtime. Episode 16-ish?

No that's definitely Banjo-Tooie.

The Tearful Cecilia two-parter (episodes 20-21) is where the show entirely stops loving around.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That's exactly the sort of thing in Gundam 79 that makes me think it holds up pretty well and demonstrates why choreography can make up for budget. The guncannon cow tipping a Zaku is super cheap to do and gets across Kai's character and also let's him do a thing while also showing you he's not a super pilot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Despite not being a super pilot Kai has one of the highest kill counts of any Feddie Ace in the OYW who didn't have an inflated number made for an MSV series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Despite not being a super pilot Kai has one of the highest kill counts of any Feddie Ace in the OYW who didn't have an inflated number made for an MSV series.

Kai kind of thrives on being "The silver medal." He isn't the uncanny god-beast that Amuro was but he survived the entirety of the OYW in a Guncannon and then proceeded to be the only member of the White Base combat staff to not die in combat against a future Zeon faction.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Kai kind of thrives on being "The silver medal." He isn't the uncanny god-beast that Amuro was but he survived the entirety of the OYW in a Guncannon and then proceeded to be the only member of the White Base combat staff to not die in combat against a future Zeon faction.

TBF that's because he never engaged in Mobile Suit or ship combat after the OYW.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

ImpAtom posted:

Sayla and Job John as well. Arguably Kikka and Letz too?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

TBF that's because he never engaged in Mobile Suit or ship combat after the OYW.

The winning move is not to play.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Calling the Xi or Penelope 'less firepower' is a bit odd considering the ludicrous stuff they shoved in there along with the minovsky drive. Funnel Missiles are pretty drat good by themselves, but there's not a lot that four mega cannons can't do.

I think Walrus is referring to the Messer and Gustav Karl, which seem like downgrades when you consider the sheer amount of firepower the Geara Doga and Geara Zulu carried into battle. Then again, these were often personal configurations that just shoved everything they could onto hardpoints while their Federation counterparts still largely used suggested loadouts that were rather light on secondary armaments besides grenades and shield missiles. Well, other than the General Revil's Rezels with their heavily inflated option packs.

Larger generator size, more powerful thrusters, etc. are generally what gets better with larger MS sizes but they rarely come across in actual animation partly because just having stuff move faster doesn't necessarily look better and beam weapons are already one-shotting other MS. Upping the number makes it more consistent on paper but in animation stuff generally happens as the story requires and not because the writer is rolling a dice.

Droyer posted:

Let's be fair, that didn't stop a ton of other people from dying post-OYW.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I guess that animation could benefit Messers by making their beam rifles look properly terrifying, like slightly saner versions of the Unicorn's beam magnum, but I'm not sure what you do to make the Gustav Karl's piddly little guns and missile racks look scary. Maybe choreograph the fights to show that all that armour actually works, and beam guns aren't an instant kill any more? That would also make the funnel missiles seem like technology upgrades rather than downgrades by showing that a funnel-sized beam gun isn't nearly as useful in this era, and you want a giant fuckoff armour-piercing explosive warhead instead.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The in universe reason mobile suits got smaller again was that armor did turn out to be worthless and beam guns were instant kills.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
So, Gundam thread, in my quest to watch all non-Build, SD or Gunpla related shows how bad should I expect AGE to be.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Tulalip Tulips posted:

So, Gundam thread, in my quest to watch all non-Build, SD or Gunpla related shows how bad should I expect AGE to be.

I was able to finish Destiny. I gave up at the end of AGE"s first arc. It's that bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It's the worst, basically. The plus side is that nothing will look quite as bad in comparison.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It sucks.

The plot is stupid dumb, and not in a fun way. The fights are lousy. The mechs are hit and miss, but there are some pretty neat ones.

It's not actively unpleasant to watch or anything. If anything there's some real missed potential: they told a story that takes place over 3 generations and has a Gundam that can learn and evolve new parts, but they don't do anything with it.

It feels like a lame video game story. Except you don't get to play the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Tulalip Tulips posted:

You can skip Age if you're not sold on it, just think of it as giant gunpla.