Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stux posted:

genre names arent decided by what the specific words actually mean its just casual use, so a moba is a moba because everyone calls them mobas. it doesnt matter what the words that make up moba would mean if read literally. its like pointing out there are plenty of non-independent bands that play indie rock. the genre name stuck and so thats what the genre is named.

the old role playing debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

I've never even played more than an hour of Super Metroid, but it's on my list. I'm more talking about games where "there's a special kind of goop covering some of the doors and your Upgraded Fire Attack can also destroy that so you can progress" are now considered Metroidvania.

well that is a thing from metroid games which would probably explain why they are considered metroidvanias.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What genre are the new Hitman games?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

strangle-type games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just go back to calling everything a “game”-clone. Doom clones, Diablo clones, WoW clones, Shenmue clones, yeah I think that about covers every game

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FPS

Fancy People Slaughter

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stick or rope?
            ^
  stick      rope
      |             |
hitman    death stranding

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dress-up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Stux I feel like you're missing the point and just arguing past them

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

well that is a thing from metroid games which would probably explain why they are considered metroidvanias.
Erm, yes...hence the thing that I said, which you objected to for some reason, about how that one aspect being enough to qualify as Metroidvania means that the term does not reflect most of the stuff that I actually enjoy about games such as Symphony of the Night and (from what I hear) Super Metroid.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My Metroid-clone of choice is Ufouria: The Saga.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s been a CK3 weekend for me, and tomorrow will likely be a CK3 bank holiday. I played so much on Friday that I might’ve inverted my sleeping schedule, haven’t had that happen since my teens

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Here's a dumb question: is there a particular genre of video game that can't be turned into a metroidvania hybrid while still maintaining enough of its genre roots to be identifiable as such?

Can we truly approach Tetroidvania???

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

Erm, yes...hence the thing that I said, which you objected to for some reason, about how that one aspect being enough to qualify as Metroidvania means that the term does not reflect most of the stuff that I actually enjoy about games such as Symphony of the Night and (from what I hear) Super Metroid.

well its because in context it looks to be a comment about super metroid specifically

Volte posted:

I can't fight the consensus on the word Metroidvania but I really think that Super Metroid and SotN are different enough that one word to describe both of them is too broad. I'm not even a huge fan of Metroid games and simply unlocking new power-ups that secondarily function as keys isn't what I really like about Metroidvania games.

thats why i said that super metroid does have a lot of mobility upgrades and ways to traverse the map.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Here's a dumb question: is there a particular genre of video game that can't be turned into a metroidvania hybrid while still maintaining enough of its genre roots to be identifiable as such?

would metroid with a tetris as hacking minigame count?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Puzzle-action imho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tactical suit action

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No, it must be a tetris game first and foremost, but you have upgrades to allow you to progress further throughout the tetromino world while gaining new abilities to let you tetris in new ways only the highest of IQs can imagine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

No, it must be a tetris game first and foremost, but you have upgrades to allow you to progress further throughout the tetromino world while gaining new abilities to let you tetris in new ways only the highest of IQs can imagine

sounds like a gamejam prompt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

as for the other thing you said

Volte posted:

games where "there's a special kind of goop covering some of the doors and your Upgraded Fire Attack can also destroy that so you can progress" are now considered Metroidvania.

which implies that an open map where gating is done through upgrades which allow the player to progress is a recent addition to the definition and not the core of the definition and what specifically made sotn a metroidvania as opposed to just castlevania.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Picturing wrecking crew but you're in a large world built up of various kinds of tetrominos and you use your abilities to rotate pieces and form lines to break through locks and alter the environment while avoiding enemy tetroids that evolve into more dangerous forms of tetroids and they want you dead and also want to just gently caress around with the environment and make it as unstable as possible

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I just meant that Metroid games are more about action and platforming and Castlevania is more about exploration and finding quest items, and that the most apparent common link between them is the "powers that open new areas" thing. What I appreciate most about the Metroidvania genre actually tend to be things from the Metroid-like Castlevanias specifically, meaning the original definition of Metroidvania. The whole discussion was around the changing meaning of the term Metroidvania, not the merits of Metroid vs Castlevania.

edit: in other words, Metroidvania used to mean "Castlevania with Metroid stuff on top" which is more likely to be a thumbs up from me than the current definition "games that contain aspects of e.g, Castlevania or Metroid" which basically can mean anything as long as it has powers that open doors.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 6, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Unreal_One posted:

Immersive sim is the only common genre descriptor that I think is just plain wrong. Euro Truck Driver is an immersive sim, Prey is just an exploration FPS.

"Character Action".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

I just meant that Metroid games are more about action and platforming and Castlevania is more about exploration and finding quest items, and that the most apparent common link between them is the "powers that open new areas" thing. What I appreciate most about the Metroidvania genre actually tend to be things from the Metroid-like Castlevanias specifically, meaning the original definition of Metroidvania. The whole discussion was around the changing meaning of the term Metroidvania, not the merits of Metroid vs Castlevania.

edit: in other words, Metroidvania used to mean "Castlevania with Metroid stuff on top" which is more likely to be a thumbs up from me than the current definition "games that contain aspects of e.g, Castlevania or Metroid" which basically can mean anything as long as it has powers that open doors.

the meaning of the term is in essence the stuff from metroid games, the original definition of metroidvania was "this castlevania game is a lot like metroid" and a modern example of a similar term with a less confusing name would be "souls-like". the term has always functionally meant "metroid-likes" but kept the name metroidvania because its what everyone used, and the first major non-metroid game to necessitate a genre designation rather than just a series definition was castlevania. again, genre names are rarely literal unless it is just whatever-like.

edit: also that first part is like, backwards. castlevania was about action and platforming before sotn. the exploration and finding items is specifically what it added from metroid.

Stux fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 6, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Search action

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

map staring

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Metroid's title came from "like a Metro" so through the transitive property both Mini Metro and the Metro games are Metroidvanias

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stux posted:

genre names arent decided by what the specific words actually mean its just casual use, so a moba is a moba because everyone calls them mobas. it doesnt matter what the words that make up moba would mean if read literally. its like pointing out there are plenty of non-independent bands that play indie rock. the genre name stuck and so thats what the genre is named.

That was my point.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_V4FfTwVpg

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

That was my point.

you alluded to it being wrong, i was explaining why it isnt.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hwurmp posted:

dress-up
Hitman is barely dressup for casuals, can't mix and match.

Volte posted:

in other words, Metroidvania used to mean "Castlevania with Metroid stuff on top"
Which is amusing since Igarashi said in interviews he was actually going for "Castlevania with Zelda stuff on Top".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stux posted:

you alluded to it being wrong, i was explaining why it isnt.

No.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The character creator in The Sims 4 is not very good considering how important it is.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Craftopia's absolutely terrible translation and very blatant BotW influence made me look into it a little bit and it seems neat and I'm very excited to try it in three years when it either leaves early access or just kind of quietly dies

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

:stare:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

stick or rope?
            ^
  stick      rope
      |             |
hitman    death stranding

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

been enjoying temperatures like that every day for months

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

if I am playing on PC and my frame rate is swinging rather quickly from around 60-70 back up to 120+ rapidly, should I turn down the graphics until the frame rate is steady? I can't tell much difference to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

edit: also that first part is like, backwards. castlevania was about action and platforming before sotn.
Sorry I should have said "Metroid-like Castlevanias". The other ones are definitely about platforming and action but I have no love for them. I tried the PSP remake of Rondo of Blood not too long ago and it felt like the clunkiest poo poo ever.