Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I like the game so far (religion itself is worth moving from CK2), but there are things I miss.

1. Byzantium going by Primogeniture again is a huge step back in my opinion – it pretty much makes the empire the familiar purple blob it was in early CK2. This stings especially that the Imperial government was introduced in the last expansion and it was perfect.
2. Most of the changes from Conclave are gone. You don't need the approval of the council for any action, or even to change your Crown Authority, which pretty much made keeping them happy unnecessary (except for the spymaster). I understand this always was a controversial feature, but I always liked the bickering on the court and the inherent risk of letting your powerful vassals into the Council where they can undermine you.
3. Gold used to be precious in CK2; now I'm swimming in it like Scrooge McDuck even if I'm the Duke of Bumfuck at the edge of the map. Not only trade is completely absent, it doesn't look like the game cares where my county is.
4. China, the Silk Road and even the terrible nomads gave eastern parts of the map a lot of uniqueness. With them gone, it pretty much returned to its state post Rajas of India.

The thing I don't miss, however, are the secret societies. Good riddance, hunchbacked rabies-spreading satanists, vocational schools for future saints, unkillable pagan demigods and mages inventing rifles in 800 AD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Randarkman posted:

Isn't it supposed to only transfer the lands belonging to the duchy?

I've had the same issue:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK now I'm wondering whether something is broken?

I declared war to conquer the High Chiefdom of Borgu, which is currently being owned by a duke-level ruler who's a direct vassal of the empress.

I won the war and enforced my wargoal and nothing seems to have changed? No land has switched ownership and he's still the empress's vassal :confused:

I quit and reloaded just to make sure it wasn't something like that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They (I? Maybe it's in the rules already) but they really need to crank up Exclave Independence. I'm playing as Ruthenia trying to make as many Rurikids as possible, and my vassals have managed to conquer Naples and Porto of all places, and there's no sign of them getting distributed or made independent. I mean I'd love it if they managed to get a local kingdom going over there...

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah honestly I like that primogen is much later in the game than it was in CK2. Gavelkind was basically just a "tribal problem" even starting as far back as Charlemagne. You dealt with it for maybe 2-3 generations at most and then it was a non-issue for the rest of the game.

I agree re: gavelkind being a trivial issue in ck2 and needed to be realigned for balance and historical reasons, and I also like primogeniture being a high/late medieval innovation in principle.

In practice though it contributes to a hell of a lot of unnecessary consolidation time where the player may even know exactly what to do in order to accomplish things, but more often involves a lot more obfuscation of game mechanics (assuming those mechanics aren't buggy or themselves unintuitively implemented--I've had mixed but generally good/predictable results myself) that a lot more often feels random or unusually intricate beyond the bounds of people who may be new to the game but nonetheless self evidently find medieval succession politics to be an interesting subject.

I think it should be gated behind the Hereditary Rule fascination instead, which (assuming a 1066 start) usually takes around a hundred years or so to discover in my purely anecdotal experience of about a half dozen ish starts so far. However, in addition to unlocking Partition, it should also open Primogeniture, just at a heavy prestige cost, for ex: from Confederate Partition to Partition would be 500 prestige (as is) but Primogeniture would also be available at say, 2000 or 2500 prestige, with the same conditions for changing. Later on you could unlock the actual Primogeniture fascination and it would drop the prestige cost to 500 as is currently normal for succession changes.

This would allow space for competing priorities while also providing an option for early-middle Medieval feudal lord players to either focus on rapid expansion or consolidation without forcing them to repeat an otherwise mostly-regular cycle of spending 10-20 years regaining their previous level of capability--however realistic this may be, it just ends up being a lot of skipping past a lot of flavor and occasionally stopping to jail someone or blackmail for a hook. And Primogeniture doesn't afford any intrinsic advantage unless you've already obtained a reasonably capable kingdom, at a minimum--even if a super-duke could amass 2500 prestige, spending that on Primogeniture instead of umpteen other things would only really delay an eventual existential challenge.

e: I'm really bad at playing Muslim rulers so I have little experience in that respect, and well, the HRE was enough bullshit political happenings so I've never even dipped a toe into the Byzantine Empire aside from very briefly once in CK2. So I can't comment on how it would impact any ruler types outside of Catholic Feudal non-HRE ones.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats a good way for a persian duke to grow in power within seljuk?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Randarkman posted:

Isn't it supposed to only transfer the lands belonging to the duchy?

you're right i misspoke, but I didn't get the component counties either

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wish you could get rid of lovers pox

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Davincie posted:

:negative:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

As do I and lots of others.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That baby is more talented than 4 out of my 5 councillors...

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The message spam after a few successful sieges and ransoming prisoners is a bit much.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

My god, peasant/liberation rebellion spawns are so bad. :allears:

Liberation war for most of Spain hit. Around 10-15k peasant forces spawned all over Spain, and I figured I would have a long fight ahead of me.... The war completed after ~5 days.
Because the leader spawned in a tiny army with just a few hundred soldiers, right smack-dab on top of one of my vassal's armies, and immediately got gibbed.

There should really be a check to make sure that the leader's army doesn't spawn -on- a county with an existing army, atleast.

DurosKlav posted:

The message spam after a few successful sieges and ransoming prisoners is a bit much.

Yeah, when you send out a ransom/release etc demand you already know ahead of time if it'll be accepted or not, so the constant spam of popups and etc feels unwarranted.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

He's also loving his sister and if he dies without an heir you get to play as Castille and inherit all of Leon. It's basically failproof!

The sister is great too. Play your cards right as either of them and you can have all three Spanish kingdoms easily.

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, is this a bug? I've just had this happen and I am very much weirded out by it?

I am currently playing as Harald II, but have just died:

My succesor is my Nephew:

He is now High King of Scandinavia and King of Norway. All well and good.

However my capital province was Vestfold and has been inherited by this person:

I don't understand I had made Vestfold the Capital of a multi-kingdom spanning Empire and for some odd reason this random lady inherits? She is Harald II Grand-daughter?! She has also somehow become head of the household despite being 13?

I do not understand in the slightest Iota what the gently caress is happening? Surely the most powerful house member should be head of the household, if I can't institute primogeniture in my realm it sure as gently caress shouldn't apply to my family line.

That's why I stopped playing my Norse run, it happened loving every time. Every time, someone else inherited my capital, even if it was the only loving county my main character had personally when he died.

There is SURELY something wrong there.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 6, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm playing around with modding/console shenanigans for kicks and there's a mechanic I dont understand. So you get a trait or a perk, that's fine, it's just add_trait or add_perk or whatever. Simple. But what about the modifiers that show up in that area of the ui to the right of the religion/culture (eg, conversation at feast, obesity, malnourished)? What are they called and how can I control them?
For the one I'm looking at specifically (obesity :btroll:) it's an event that triggers - health.5001. Is there a way I can see what the script for that event is?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone know how inheritance for dynasty head works? I was dynast/house head as Murchad at the beginning of the tutorial, and kept it as his son, but now that I'm someone else I've lost control of that and it's super annoying. How do I get it back? Do I have to found a cadet house? If I found a cadet house, do I have to snag more renown to pick up the bloodline perks?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's why I stopped playing my Norse run, it happened loving every time. Every time, someone else inherited my capital, even if it was the only loving county my main character had personally when he died.

Thank you! I assumed I was going mad!

I did everything, I changed the inheritance for the Duchy, I gave the people different lands so that they wouldn't inherit etc. Nothing. loving nothing.

It's driving me mad because why the gently caress is the single county "primogeniture" but the rest of the realm isn't? She's also head of the household, a 13 year old landless daughter of a son I don't need is suddenly the head of a continent spanning imperial family, whilst the actual emperor doesn't get anything?

That and it says "you always keep your capital" which is an out and out lie.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 6, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Arcturas posted:

Does anyone know how inheritance for dynasty head works? I was dynast/house head as Murchad at the beginning of the tutorial, and kept it as his son, but now that I'm someone else I've lost control of that and it's super annoying. How do I get it back? Do I have to found a cadet house? If I found a cadet house, do I have to snag more renown to pick up the bloodline perks?

Per the wiki:

CK3 wiki posted:

The most powerful House Head of a Dynasty (as determined by military strength) will always become the Dynasty Head upon the death of the current one. Dynasty Head ownership may take up to a year to update on succession.

So, build troops. Then stabby-stabby.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

awesmoe posted:

For the one I'm looking at specifically (obesity :btroll:) it's an event that triggers - health.5001. Is there a way I can see what the script for that event is?

Search the event files for that id and it will probably show up?

Use Notepad++ if you aren't already, it's really good for this.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Does anyone know what kind of thing triggers a succession war? My son is the next in line for the throne of Danelaw (I'm Irish), and the Pope declared a "Crusade for the Kingdom of Danelaw", attacking the queen of Castile and a bunch of Spanish lords. But the king of Danelaw himself isn't involved? The queen of Castile doesn't have a claim on the throne or anything, so I don't know how this could have been triggered, but it basically just means I get 40 thousand free troops to beat up some Spaniards, and I guess no matter what I inherit the throne?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Randarkman posted:

That's nothing.

I think in the current implementation there just isn't anything for the Pope (or other similar religious heads) to spend their money on, other than buildings and mercs. They seem to either have toned down their aggression or disabled most CBs for them, but you occasionally see the Pope ending up with blotches of land here and there in Italy and North Africa, because he can just hire all the mercs and auto-win any war.

They also contribute lots of money to crusade pots, but Communion just gives them so much that even that doesn't really diminish them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

I'm playing around with modding/console shenanigans for kicks and there's a mechanic I dont understand. So you get a trait or a perk, that's fine, it's just add_trait or add_perk or whatever. Simple. But what about the modifiers that show up in that area of the ui to the right of the religion/culture (eg, conversation at feast, obesity, malnourished)? What are they called and how can I control them?

Those are modifiers, I believe.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tippis posted:

Per the wiki:

Yeah unfortunately that doesn't seem to actually work consistently - I've had my head of the household be my vassal which makes zero sense. I 'fixed' it by making him my champion and sending him on some erm 'ambitious' raids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

The sister is great too. Play your cards right as either of them and you can have all three Spanish kingdoms easily.

I think it's a weird sort of bug/not bug situation where it's technically consistent with the rules, but not really intuitive behaviour and should probably be changed. So here is what is happening:

I am assuming that on your primary title you have one of the special elective succession laws (given that your nephew inherited which wouldn't happen otherwise), and since it is your primary title the UI will mark whoever inherits it as your "primary heir". However, all the titles below it would still be using the realm laws, which I am assuming are still some form of partition, meaning they will go to eligible children based on the algorithm there. It went to your granddaughter since your first son was dead, and the children of a firstborn are still higher in the line of succession than the secondborn (although if it's male preference this would change, but I am guessing you might have equality as your gender laws? If you don't then I'm not sure what's going on). This is also why she inherited the house head title, because house head follows the same inheritance as primogeniture. The main issue is basically that it the elective succession laws don't seem to carry anything else with them, even though they should (since you can't inherit only a kingdom title). So what ends up happening is your heir inherits the kingdom, automatically usurps some random county from one of their new vassals (which is the behaviour when someone inherits a landless title and has no land of their own), and then all the rest of your poo poo goes to other people.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
sorry for the dumb question
im playing the tutorial and im already on my own but i cant marry me son, i send an invitation to some french girl with high administrative stats but when i send the invitation it changes to her profile and doesnt let me make the proposal, what im doing wrong?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Does anyone know what kind of thing triggers a succession war? My son is the next in line for the throne of Danelaw (I'm Irish), and the Pope declared a "Crusade for the Kingdom of Danelaw", attacking the queen of Castile and a bunch of Spanish lords. But the king of Danelaw himself isn't involved? The queen of Castile doesn't have a claim on the throne or anything, so I don't know how this could have been triggered, but it basically just means I get 40 thousand free troops to beat up some Spaniards, and I guess no matter what I inherit the throne?

It turns out some minor Spanish lord held the island of Carisbrooke, in the English Channel. So now there's a Kingdom of Danelaw and a one-county "Kingdom of Crusader the Danelaw" just south of it. :lol:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah unfortunately that doesn't seem to actually work consistently - I've had my head of the household be my vassal which makes zero sense. I 'fixed' it by making him my champion and sending him on some erm 'ambitious' raids.

Sometimes it takes a month or two to fix itself. But if you're not actually in the line of succession for house head, you just need to create a cadet branch. This can happen because you end up playing as someone other than your "primary" heir due to elective succession.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My last three wives have died in childbirth of their first kid, it's starting to get a bit old.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeta Acosta posted:

im playing the tutorial and im already on my own but i cant marry me son, i send an invitation to some french girl with high administrative stats but when i send the invitation it changes to her profile and doesnt let me make the proposal, what im doing wrong?

Don’t click on her profile icon, but click on her stats page on the right.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeta Acosta posted:

You need to click the bar to select her as a match rather than on her face directly. It's a bit confusing and I do this by accident all the time. Clicking the face is the shortcut to open someone's profile.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's a weird sort of bug/not bug situation where it's technically consistent with the rules, but not really intuitive behaviour and should probably be changed. So here is what is happening:

I am assuming that on your primary title you have one of the special elective succession laws (given that your nephew inherited which wouldn't happen otherwise), and since it is your primary title the UI will mark whoever inherits it as your "primary heir". However, all the titles below it would still be using the realm laws, which I am assuming are still some form of partition, meaning they will go to eligible children based on the algorithm there. It went to your granddaughter since your first son was dead, and the children of a firstborn are still higher in the line of succession than the secondborn (although if it's male preference this would change, but I am guessing you might have equality as your gender laws? If you don't then I'm not sure what's going on). This is also why she inherited the house head title, because house head follows the same inheritance as primogeniture. The main issue is basically that it the elective succession laws don't seem to carry anything else with them, even though they should (since you can't inherit only a kingdom title). So what ends up happening is your heir inherits the kingdom, automatically usurps some random county from one of their new vassals (which is the behaviour when someone inherits a landless title and has no land of their own), and then all the rest of your poo poo goes to other people.

In my case, every title below it has the same law... except the county title whose law it is not possible to change. My duchy and kingdom go to the same person. I made sure to change it for all my personal titles that I could.

"All the rest of my poo poo" - in my case, my only poo poo was 1 county, 1 duchy, 1 kingdom.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Don’t click on her profile icon, but click on her stats page on the right.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You need to click the bar to select her as a match rather than on her face directly. It's a bit confusing and I do this by accident all the time. Clicking the face is the shortcut to open someone's profile.

thanks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If I'm a king, and want to grant King level titles to one of my dukes and split them off to be independent, is there some way to give them the de-jure vassals of that kingdom at the same time? In CK2 this was the "include lower titles" button I think, but now I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think "transfer Vassal" should work.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well, I want Ulster and hey look! It's at war with Alba! Hey, Alba has a Queen - maybe I can marry someone to her, get an alliance... no. She's already married.
To the King of Ulster.
Who she's at war with.
Hmm.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

Well, I want Ulster and hey look! It's at war with Alba! Hey, Alba has a Queen - maybe I can marry someone to her, get an alliance... no. She's already married.
To the King of Ulster.
Who she's at war with.
Hmm.

don't kinkshame

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tippis posted:

Per the wiki:

Thanks. I’ll work on that. Too bad my current dude is compassionate and beloved by all but couldn’t plot his way out of a paper bag.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Josef bugman posted:

I think "transfer Vassal" should work.
Speaking of which, that's one of those “well duh” quality-of-life updates I really enjoy with CK3: the ability to do that by just clicking the map rather than digging through a long list of names of regions or person to try to pick the right one. Instead, it's just transfer vassal -> “this bit of land right here”, done.

Arcturas posted:

Thanks. I'll work on that. Too bad my current dude is compassionate and beloved by all but couldn't plot his way out of a paper bag.
Even compassionate and beloved people can amass armies and accidentally put an arrow through a guy during a hunting trip…

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Unkempt posted:

To the King of Ulster.
Who she's at war with.
Hmm.

She really liked that cat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Is it just me or does the game kind of "break" a bit when you go above Kingdom level play? It just seems to get very confused very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

felt like the opposite to me, once you have a kingdom under control blobbing up is exponentially easier because of the resources at your disposal