Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrChu posted:

Got the Firefly FF338 I ordered last week today

Looks nice enough, however its got one big issue:

That's as low as I can set the action. I think the neck angle must be slightly off, the bridge is at its lowest adjustment and the truss rod is at basically no relief. It is playable but just barely, I don't have my good ruler handy but I'd say action is around 1/8" at the 17th fret. If I decide to keep it I'll need to either grind some material off the bottom sides of the bridge or replace it (I compared it to my SG and its bridge is slightly thinner) and then maybe get a neck position pickup ring to put the bridge pickup in to get a little more clearance and adjustability.

Also I need to keep it away from my local high temperature machine.

I ordered the same one last week, arrived today. Playability isn't an issue for me but I don't really aim for ultra low action. I also haven't changed the strings yet so that may change.

Bought it because I wanted a project guitar where I could learn to do modifications beyond just tweaking the action. For a 335 clone with highly microphonic pickups, any recommendations to turn it into a rock and roll machine? Was looking at Pearly Gates since they seem to be Gibson 57 clones at a better price point.

New tuners arrive Sunday, excited to toy around with it

Edit: for what it's worth my action looks similar to the picture. Maybe just how it's designed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Helianthus Annuus posted:

ya, but the trick to teaching guitar is knowing which adjustments to prescribe

and a big part of a guitar teachers job is to raise your standards for whether your playing sounds good

another way to do this without a teachers help is to record and listen back

it's easy for some people to be satisfied with so-so guitar playing, and sometimes it takes a critical ear to get you to play your best

Ok, check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsIZg74mLt8
if you or your band SUCKS, it's okay. Just play really basic stuff and put your heart into it! There is a value in being amateurish that people don't appreciate. If you (not you 'you,' but the general person 'you') are basic, record basic songs and have a good time. Hell I have the rest of my life to play guitar and over my next um 50 years on earth it will evolve into whatever it will. But right, teaching is a whole different perspective so of course I'm speaking to a different audience there.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

20 Blunts posted:

my first concert as a youngin was Creed so maybe

edit: which reminds me that its weird being a millennial with a genX father. he likes heavier music than i do. not that creed is heavy. but Pearl Jam/Bush/Alice in Chains was/still is his kind of music. I like Buck owens lol

henry rollins wrote a thing a while back about this, that that generation of kids were largely into way more tame music than their parents. it devolved into him proposing a room that plays nothing but gwar as a form of punishment

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ferg posted:

I ordered the same one last week, arrived today. Playability isn't an issue for me but I don't really aim for ultra low action. I also haven't changed the strings yet so that may change.

Bought it because I wanted a project guitar where I could learn to do modifications beyond just tweaking the action. For a 335 clone with highly microphonic pickups, any recommendations to turn it into a rock and roll machine? Was looking at Pearly Gates since they seem to be Gibson 57 clones at a better price point.

New tuners arrive Sunday, excited to toy around with it

Edit: for what it's worth my action looks similar to the picture. Maybe just how it's designed?
The strings definitely need to be changed, they leave all sorts of black residue on my hands and have sharp wrappings near the ball ends.

I'm not expecting this to be a shredding machine, but normally you should be able to get the bridge low enough so the strings can rest on the fretboard and be able to adjust up from there. I'm going to look into replacement tune-o-matics to find a thinner bridge with smaller saddles to get a little more adjustability. The tuners seem fine so they are not a priority, and right now this is only for in my house so the pickups are good enough, though they sound a little muddy so maybe I'll look into better pots.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrChu posted:

The strings definitely need to be changed, they leave all sorts of black residue on my hands and have sharp wrappings near the ball ends.

I'm not expecting this to be a shredding machine, but normally you should be able to get the bridge low enough so the strings can rest on the fretboard and be able to adjust up from there. I'm going to look into replacement tune-o-matics to find a thinner bridge with smaller saddles to get a little more adjustability. The tuners seem fine so they are not a priority, and right now this is only for in my house so the pickups are good enough, though they sound a little muddy so maybe I'll look into better pots.

This is how D’Addarios are for me. I assume it’s not everybody given how popular they are, but after about ten minutes of playing I looked at my fingers, tips were completely black, looked at the tailpiece, and yup. Rainbow D’Addario string ends.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm thinking about picking up guitar and wanted to get a few thoughts. My main interests would be an acoustic for playing folks/roots-y music, simple songs for my kid, maybe some blues. However, I need to be able to practice almost silently, as my main opportunity will be after my kid goes to bed. Our apartment isn't tiny, but not so big that I could be strumming an acoustic and not waking him up or disturbing my wife (who is basically the sonar guy from Down Periscope).

Sounds like my best bet is either a Yamaha Silent Guitar (budget stretch, although I am happy to buy used if they're not impossible to find, seems like the kind of thing that would get 'rona-rushed) or an electric with headphone amp? I'm not opposed to an electric guitar to start on, if I keep playing I'm sure I'd get use out of it as well. Just curious if it makes much of a difference for learning.

I've also read about using socks to mute an acoustic, but I used to play brass instruments pretty seriously and any sort of mute would change the way the instrument responded in a way that wouldn't trip up an experienced player, but could confuse a beginner's intuition/muscle memory. Seems like messing with the strings could have the same effect, no?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm thinking about picking up guitar and wanted to get a few thoughts. My main interests would be an acoustic for playing folks/roots-y music, simple songs for my kid, maybe some blues. However, I need to be able to practice almost silently, as my main opportunity will be after my kid goes to bed. Our apartment isn't tiny, but not so big that I could be strumming an acoustic and not waking him up or disturbing my wife (who is basically the sonar guy from Down Periscope).

Sounds like my best bet is either a Yamaha Silent Guitar (budget stretch, although I am happy to buy used if they're not impossible to find, seems like the kind of thing that would get 'rona-rushed) or an electric with headphone amp? I'm not opposed to an electric guitar to start on, if I keep playing I'm sure I'd get use out of it as well. Just curious if it makes much of a difference for learning.

I've also read about using socks to mute an acoustic, but I used to play brass instruments pretty seriously and any sort of mute would change the way the instrument responded in a way that wouldn't trip up an experienced player, but could confuse a beginner's intuition/muscle memory. Seems like messing with the strings could have the same effect, no?

can you play your stuff on an electric guitar? should be pretty quiet with a practice amp and headphones

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Getting an electric is fine in my opinion, and you can even play it without an amp for practice. Having an amp makes it much more fun though. My wife (the music hater) will close the doors when I dig into it while playing death metal through headphones, so it's not completely silent. My kids sleeps through basically anything though...

And you're basically spot on with the muting. I guess a sock could even work, or the bass player favourite of a sponge. It more or less kills any sustain, meaning you will develop bad habits by not muting strings. Also it won't be actually quiet of you're playing chords.

The main thing you want to decide for acoustics is whether you want a classical or steel string. My guess is steel string for folksy stuff, but try out both and decide which sound you like best. I think the silent guitar is a classical style, whereas electrics are much closer to steel strings. Classicals tend to be cheaper though, which might also be a factor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
With the right amp settings you can get an electric to sound more or less like an acoustic, I'd definitely just get a cheap electric and practice with headphones rather than messing with a mute. Then if you actually like playing you can buy a nice acoustic and you'll have a practice guitar and a loud acoustic guitar.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i dont think you'll get very good results trying to muffle the strings with a sock or something like that. i'd recommend against this approach

if you are open to learning your acoustic guitar repertoire on an electric guitar, thats your best option IMO. you're in for maybe 200 - 500 bux for a new electric guitar and maybe 200 - 300 for a new amp

BonHair posted:

I think the silent guitar is a classical style, whereas electrics are much closer to steel strings. Classicals tend to be cheaper though, which might also be a factor.

i thought so too, but i just checked, and it turns out yamaha also makes a steel string silent guitar. i bet its way louder lol

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
if i was in your position, and i wanted to spend as little as possible, while still getting legit gear that i could really grow with:

i'd probably get the Boss Katana-50 MkII, which is a modeling amp for like $230... and the Yamaha PAC112V Pacifica, which is a strat-style guitar for like $300

thinking about being a beginner again makes me feel excited. but i definitely hosed up my initial gear choices, which probably limited my improvement for a long time. important to get something you can improve with

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A hollowbody electric is loud enough acoustically to practice without an amp but quiet enough that nobody should be bothered by it. Plus it looks rad as heck.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

A hollowbody electric is loud enough acoustically to practice without an amp but quiet enough that nobody should be bothered by it. Plus it looks rad as heck.

i thought about this too... but but decided its probably still too loud to really play in the same apartment as a sleeping kid

one other thing: many of those hollow body guitars are 24.75" scale. thats not inherently bad, it gives a delightfully warm tone esp with overdrive. but the trade off is muddier sounding open chords, which would be frustrating for a beginner trying to play folk music

25.5" scale is better for folk music, because that's the same scale length as most steel string acoustics. it will be much closer to the expected sound for that style of music

i'm prepared to receive my usual rear end kicking from the thread for expressing this opinion lol :redass:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thanks all, seems like there is general consensus here.

if you are open to learning your acoustic guitar repertoire on an electric guitar, thats your best option IMO. you're in for maybe 200 - 500 bux for a new electric guitar and maybe 200 - 300 for a new amp

Absolutely! My only real concern with that was the possibility of learning bad/wrong habits switching between electric and acoustic as a beginner. I'm sure if I get serious about it I will want an electric on hand anyways. Seems like that is the way to go then, unless:

i thought so too, but i just checked, and it turns out yamaha also makes a steel string silent guitar. i bet its way louder lol

Louder than an un-amped electric? Looks like they go for 450-500 on eBay which is fine IMO. Any pitfalls to this approach for a beginner?

Anime Reference posted:

This sounds intriguing too, but I would have to hear it in person. Which begins me to a final question, is there any benefit to shopping in-person as a (pre)beginner? Going back to my experience as a brass player, a beginner who hasn't ever played a single note isn't going to be able to distinguish between bores, materials, bell designs, mouthpieces, etc. because they sound like a dying cow. Any beginner-ish model horn would be about the same to them. Same situation with guitars or is there a "feel" that jumps out right away?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ferg posted:

This is how D’Addarios are for me. I assume it’s not everybody given how popular they are, but after about ten minutes of playing I looked at my fingers, tips were completely black, looked at the tailpiece, and yup. Rainbow D’Addario string ends.

I tend to find Daddy Rios collect finger gruft so much faster than other strings. I wash my hands before playing, but it makes no difference. They need a wipe over constantly.
I tend to alternate between them and Ernies depending which is slightly cheaper at the time but this is less of a thing now I buy 3-5 sets at a time.
I had a set of NYXLs once, and a set of Elixirs and unfortunately both were on my RG1570 during its "eating low E strings" period before I changed the saddle out, and although I haven't broken a string (touch wood) on any of my guitars since changing that part out, I am hesitant to spend double what a normal set costs again.
Elixirs on bass were great though as I tend to change them far less frequently anyway, I think the ones that came on my old K5, which I never should have traded, lasted about 18 months before they were noticeably dead and I played the gently caress out of that thing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Same situation with guitars or is there a "feel" that jumps out right away?
Some guitars will fit your particular body better than others and that should be apparent regardless of your skill level.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

25.5" scale is better for folk music, because that's the same scale length as most steel string acoustics. it will be much closer to the expected sound for that style of music

i'm prepared to receive my usual rear end kicking from the thread for expressing this opinion lol :redass:

I think the reason I gave you flack for this last time is because you're presenting it as fact when it's really just an opinion. Like, plenty of folk music is rooted in the J-45 and twelve-fret-to-the-body acoustics which have smaller scale lengths as much as it is otherwise. That being said, don't disagree with you about common scale lengths though. It would make a generally easier transition to an acoustic with a longer scale electric.

In thinking about quiet acoustics, maybe something like an Epiphone SST? Haven't played one myself, but have heard good things. Supposed to be almost silent.

I kinda wish fender still made the Fender Classical Strat. Came in both steel and nylon string veraions and was a strat that only had a piezo under the bridge and a volume knob. Really neat idea but so niche I'm surprised they actually made it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Absolutely! My only real concern with that was the possibility of learning bad/wrong habits switching between electric and acoustic as a beginner. I'm sure if I get serious about it I will want an electric on hand anyways. Seems like that is the way to go then, unless:

i wouldn't worry too much about that! its very common for people to play and practice both. the main difference is that the acoustic guitar strings are typically a heavier gauge, for more loudness. these are more physically difficult and punishing to play compared to electric guitar strings

some techniques are applicable to only one or the other, but like 80% of techniques are transferable for both. eventually, if you stick with it, you will probably want one of each

Louder than an un-amped electric? Looks like they go for 450-500 on eBay which is fine IMO. Any pitfalls to this approach for a beginner?

yeah, louder! check it out:

the silent guitar comes with these gauges: .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053
the pacifica electric guitar? these gauges: .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042

those 9s on the electric are going to be much quieter and easier to play than those 12s on the silent guitar.

imo you would be better off spending that 500 bux on a legit solid top steel string acoustic guitar. for those times when its OK to be loud, its good to have something that you don't have to plug into an amp.

the silent guitar would have to be plugged into an amp. and if you have an amp, you might as well play the electric guitar -- it's easier to play, and it's easier to control the tone thru the amp

This sounds intriguing too, but I would have to hear it in person. Which begins me to a final question, is there any benefit to shopping in-person as a (pre)beginner? Going back to my experience as a brass player, a beginner who hasn't ever played a single note isn't going to be able to distinguish between bores, materials, bell designs, mouthpieces, etc. because they sound like a dying cow. Any beginner-ish model horn would be about the same to them. Same situation with guitars or is there a "feel" that jumps out right away?

oh for sure! in order to play well, a guitar often has to be adjusted. we call it a "set up".

today, many instruments have a pretty good setup from the factory. but there are many factors that can throw this off. shipping damage, extreme climates, etc. and if you're buying used on ebay, you're really rolling the dice on whether it will be set up OK or not.

on an electric, you can usually make these adjustments on your own (much harder on acoustic). but as a beginner? your time is better spend playing and practicing the instrument imo.

theres a guitar store by me -- the luthier there sets up every instrument before it gets sold. if you have one of these, it can be a great option. worth checking their prices at least.

but maybe you can save a lot of money buying online? you can always take it to the luthier after you get it shipped to you

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

I think the reason I gave you flack for this last time is because you're presenting it as fact when it's really just an opinion. Like, plenty of folk music is rooted in the J-45 and twelve-fret-to-the-body acoustics which have smaller scale lengths as much as it is otherwise. That being said, don't disagree with you about common scale lengths though. It would make a generally easier transition to an acoustic with a longer scale electric.

haha i'm sure i deserved it from you -- but i have had my rear end kicked over this by multiple other posters. and way before that more recent rear end whooping!

and you're right about some folk music being played on those scale lengths. i would recommend a 24.75" scale acoustic guitar as a first instrument, if a beginner approached me with those kinds of recordings and said "this is what i want to play". or a les paul if someone wanted to sound like Slash, etc

without knowing those specifics? i still think of 25.5" as the "default" for acoustic guitar repertoire, if not for electric

but i now think that a 24.75" scale or 25" scale electric guitar (like a les paul or prs) is a great choice for 2nd guitar. because it sounds better (warmer, fatter) with overdrive, and because it makes string bending more accessible.

Chip McFuck posted:

In thinking about quiet acoustics, maybe something like an Epiphone SST? Haven't played one myself, but have heard good things. Supposed to be almost silent.

I kinda wish fender still made the Fender Classical Strat. Came in both steel and nylon string veraions and was a strat that only had a piezo under the bridge and a volume knob. Really neat idea but so niche I'm surprised they actually made it.

how about the ones godin makes? e.g., Godin MultiAc?

Anime Reference posted:

Some guitars will fit your particular body better than others and that should be apparent regardless of your skill level.

yes. this is a really important consideration, too. thats why i really like those bowl-back acoustic guitars like the ovations

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm also on team, "If your heart wants an acoustic first, you should buy an acoustic first."

Find the smallest body that sounds like a real guitar to you and feels nice in your lap, put 10s on it, and just don't play with a pick when you need to be quiet. You'd be surprised how soft you can be when you need to. And if the bug catches you, you'll be playing that guitar far longer than your kid will sleeping like a baby.

I just finished shopping for travel guitars and really like the Little Martin I got, but I REALLY liked the mid-range Yamaha parlors. They sounded better than anything else that size on the wall at GC by leaps and bounds. It wasn't right for what I needed (something I could make disappear quickly or find a kid wandering around with and not have my heart jump into my throat), but I still came really close to walking out with one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSF1MVN--yamaha-csf1m-compact-folk-vintage-natural

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Earlier this year (pre-CV) I picked up guitar again (after several years off) and started taking lessons. I'd like to start playing some doom/stoner for fun at bedroom levels. I got a THR II 10 for practicing (I like it!) but I haven't been super happy with the tones that I can get out of it with my fuzz pedal. (Everything always sounds really muddy.)

So, I'm toying with picking up a tube head or combo amp that I could use for this. Does anyone have any recommendations? My budget is pretty flexible, I just would like something that can be played at bedroom levels/with headphones. I've seen the Orange Micro Dark/Terror recommended in several places - maybe paired with a 1x10" or 1x12"? Would I be better off with a combo amp that is a little more versatile?

I'm sure buying used would be the most cost effective but I'm iffy on shopping for one right now due to the pandemic and my lack of experience verifying that equipment isn't hosed up somehow.

Alternatively, should I just suck it up for a while until I get some more playing time under my belt?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I'm also on team, "If your heart wants an acoustic first, you should buy an acoustic first."

Find the smallest body that sounds like a real guitar to you and feels nice in your lap, put 10s on it, and just don't play with a pick when you need to be quiet. You'd be surprised how soft you can be when you need to. And if the bug catches you, you'll be playing that guitar far longer than your kid will sleeping like a baby.

I just finished shopping for travel guitars and really like the Little Martin I got, but I REALLY liked the mid-range Yamaha parlors. They sounded better than anything else that size on the wall at GC by leaps and bounds. It wasn't right for what I needed (something I could make disappear quickly or find a kid wandering around with and not have my heart jump into my throat), but I still came really close to walking out with one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSF1MVN--yamaha-csf1m-compact-folk-vintage-natural

i disagree but i respect this POV. definitely worth considering

OP seemed to really think that loudness was gonna be a major problem -- enough to consider tying a sock to the strings lol. so i completely ruled out an acoustic guitar, even though that's what they want to play. it really depends on how quiet is quiet enough?

aside from that, i would just argue that electric guitar thru headphones is gonna sound more gratifying than an acoustic guitar stealth mission

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

pocket pool posted:

Earlier this year (pre-CV) I picked up guitar again (after several years off) and started taking lessons. I'd like to start playing some doom/stoner for fun at bedroom levels. I got a THR II 10 for practicing (I like it!) but I haven't been super happy with the tones that I can get out of it with my fuzz pedal. (Everything always sounds really muddy.)

have you tried rolling down the guitar's volume knob? like waaaay down. then turn the fuzz volume up

pocket pool posted:

So, I'm toying with picking up a tube head or combo amp that I could use for this. Does anyone have any recommendations? My budget is pretty flexible, I just would like something that can be played at bedroom levels/with headphones. I've seen the Orange Micro Dark/Terror recommended in several places - maybe paired with a 1x10" or 1x12"? Would I be better off with a combo amp that is a little more versatile?

I'm sure buying used would be the most cost effective but I'm iffy on shopping for one right now due to the pandemic and my lack of experience verifying that equipment isn't hosed up somehow.

im gonna shut up and let the rock guitar guys talk to you about picking a tube amp!

i have a peavy classic 50 from the 1990s that i got from a friend. it's really ideal, because it has a master volume knob to keep the amp quiet enough for bedroom use

without that master volume, you have to play the amp REALLY loud to get the kind of tone that tube amps are famous for. master volume should be a requirement for you IMO

pocket pool posted:

Alternatively, should I just suck it up for a while until I get some more playing time under my belt?

no, if you can afford to buy a legit tube amp, do it

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

pocket pool posted:

What fuzz pedal is it? I would try replacing the pedal before the amp

If you do end up getting one of those go for the dark terror cause it's got a dedicated fx loop

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

pocket pool posted:

Earlier this year (pre-CV) I picked up guitar again (after several years off) and taking lessons. I'd like to start playing some doom/stoner for fun at bedroom levels. I got a THR II 10 for practicing (I like it!) but I haven't been super happy with the tones that I can get out of it with my fuzz pedal. (Everything always sounds really muddy.)

So, I'm toying with picking up a tube head or combo amp that I could use for this. Does anyone have any recommendations? My budget is pretty flexible I just would like something that can be played at bedroom levels/with headphones. I've seen the Orange Micro Dark/Terror recommended in several places - maybe paired with a 1x10" or 1x12"? Would I be better off with a combo amp that is a little more versatile?

The built in fuzz options on the katana are decent, and I've played mine at 0.5w through a 2x12 at 1am and didn't wake up anyone else in my house. I've also nearly blasted out my eardrums with the 50w setting, but haven't tried out the 100w setting because my cab is only 50w.

The micro dark with a 2x12 is a pretty kickass alternative, but for the price and options I mean come on

Pretty much any amp less than $1000 is going to be outclassed by a boss katana. Yeah that's my hot take and I stand by it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pocket pool posted:

Get a BOSS ME-80 and/or a bunch of inexpensive pedals, there are lots of YouTube channels with recs and reviews. Then maybe consider a fun tube/hybrid amp (see an older post on cheap amps from a page or two ago) to dick around with.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

have you tried rolling down the guitar's volume knob? like waaaay down. then turn the fuzz volume up

I, admittedly, am kind of just wildly flailing in the dark with different settings playing some Sleep riffs through my looper. I realize that it will never sound as massive as Pike but I just wasn't super thrilled with what I was getting. I will try this out, though!

Wowporn posted:

What fuzz pedal is it? I would try replacing the pedal before the amp

If you do end up getting one of those go for the dark terror cause it's got a dedicated fx loop

I have a Black Arts Pharaoh I picked up used on Reverb as a total impulse buy. I feel like I should be able to get a variety of tones out of this as it seems pretty flexible.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The built in fuzz options on the katana are decent, and I've played mine at 0.5w through a 2x12 at 1am and didn't wake up anyone else in my house. I've also nearly blasted out my eardrums with the 50w setting, but haven't tried out the 100w setting because my cab is only 50w.

The micro dark with a 2x12 is a pretty kickass alternative, but for the price and options I mean come on

Pretty much any amp less than $1000 is going to be outclassed by a boss katana. Yeah that's my hot take and I stand by it.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get a BOSS ME-80 and/or a bunch of inexpensive pedals, there are lots of YouTube channels with recs and reviews. Then maybe consider a fun tube/hybrid amp (see an older post on cheap amps from a page or two ago) to dick around with.

I've toyed with a Katana/ME-80, or even wondered if I should just pick up some amp modelling software. I saw a lot of people saying that it is difficult to get doom/stoner tones with a fuzz when using a modelling amp but I admittedly don't know how much of that is just snobbery or audiophile woo woo. I guess I was just nervous I'd end up with the same shortcomings I had with this particular style out of my THR II. I will check out some YT videos!

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Good cheap pedals=behringer all da way, you can get like a $2-300 amp and every behringer pedal for like $500

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

OP seemed to really think that loudness was gonna be a major problem -- enough to consider tying a sock to the strings lol. so i completely ruled out an acoustic guitar, even though that's what they want to play. it really depends on how quiet is quiet enough?

aside from that, i would just argue that electric guitar thru headphones is gonna sound more gratifying than an acoustic guitar stealth mission

Nah you're right on the money, like I said my wife is basically this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cveFKerkadA

We live in an open concept apartment which is basically two bedrooms and one huge main room so opportunities to use walls/doors to muffle the sound are limited. As far as I can tell, an electric with headphones should be fine, but I would have to play an acoustic at p/mp at most which seems not great for learning to control dynamics.

There are a few independent shops nearby plus a Guitar Center, so hopefully I have some used selection to choose from. I'm not on a shoestring per se, but less spent on gear means more to be spent on lessons!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

the silent guitar would have to be plugged into an amp. and if you have an amp, you might as well play the electric guitar -- it's easier to play, and it's easier to control the tone thru the amp

Yamaha's silent guitar has a built-in headphone jack, so there's no need for an amp. A Multiac would be a good choice too, but they're way more expensive than Yamaha's offering so I was thinking of budget options.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Here's a quick demo I made of going through various settings on the katana. It's at such a low volume that you can hear the pick hitting the strings.

Starts out with just a big muff then playing around with an octave fuzz while trying to dial in a tone I liked even if I actually ended up with something with a little too much gain but you get the idea. Then goes to my thrash metal setting then some clean tones.

Seriously, you can't beat this amp for how much you get straight out of the box.

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/katanatestdemo

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

Yamaha's silent guitar has a built-in headphone jack, so there's no need for an amp.

thats cool. actually really cool, to not need any separate gear to play with headphones.

but the sense i was trying to get at earlier was: if you need to play loud enough for others to hear, you will need to use an amp with the silent guitar. the point being: once you have to involve an amp, you might just want to play the electric guitar.

but thinking about it some more, i bet it would sound good just plugged into a home stereo line-in! might be worth considering, if you wanna try to avoid buying an amp altogether.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013
What is the best budget/mid-range (maybe $300-$500) guitar or guitar brand for shredding/just playing as fast as possible in general. E.g., sweep picking/legato/ fast thrash metal riffs, that sort of stuff.

Not super concerned about tone or whammy bar or anything else except playability. Just wanna go fast.

The Ibanez Wizard necks seem well-received. For $300 is there anything better than an RG-421? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG421BBS--ibanez-rg-series-rg421-blackberry-sunburst

Is it really going to make an appreciable difference to spend more money on a better Ibanez? Other brands?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

prokaryote posted:

What is the best budget/mid-range (maybe $300-$500) guitar or guitar brand for shredding/just playing as fast as possible in general. E.g., sweep picking/legato/ fast thrash metal riffs, that sort of stuff.

Not super concerned about tone or whammy bar or anything else except playability. Just wanna go fast.

The Ibanez Wizard necks seem well-received. For $300 is there anything better than an RG-421? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG421BBS--ibanez-rg-series-rg421-blackberry-sunburst

Is it really going to make an appreciable difference to spend more money on a better Ibanez? Other brands?

can you post a youtube or something, so i can hear how you wanna sound?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you looking for thin necked guitars the brands haven't really changed. Kramer, Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich, ESP/LTD, Schecter, Charvel.

But you can play fast as hell on any guitar, just get what looks cool. But in that price range I suggest swapping out the bridge pickup as the stock ones aren't going to be good at that price range.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also want to chime in that no matter what kind of guitar you get, it will play lightyears faster with a good setup where the action is as low as possible

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

can you post a youtube or something, so i can hear how you wanna sound?

don't really have anything too specific in mind. It would be nice to have something appropriate to play like Coroner or later Death songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DMt2PAZAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwIDKmCzeE

and also suitable for silly shred stuff like Gilbert or whoever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsLV5jdWzI

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you looking for thin necked guitars the brands haven't really changed. Kramer, Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich, ESP/LTD, Schecter, Charvel.

But you can play fast as hell on any guitar, just get what looks cool. But in that price range I suggest swapping out the bridge pickup as the stock ones aren't going to be good at that price range.

sure, just curious if there's anything that stands out

thanks for the replies!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

prokaryote posted:

https://www.rondomusic.com/product9568.html

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

prokaryote posted:

don't really have anything too specific in mind. It would be nice to have something appropriate to play like Coroner or later Death songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DMt2PAZAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwIDKmCzeE

and also suitable for silly shred stuff like Gilbert or whoever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsLV5jdWzI

sure, just curious if there's anything that stands out

thanks for the replies!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCAHHLBK--squier-contemporary-active-stratocaster-hh-flat-black

I play that kind of stuff, and if it wasn't for the reverse headstock I would have bought this guitar in an instant as the built in active pickups punch way above their pay grade. I ended up getting the jazzmaster version with slightly different pickups and it's my favorite guitar right now, also I wanted a guitar with a hard tail so yeah double with right there. If you want to look like a weird rockabilly player there's also the starcaster version which I haven't played in person but likely is equally good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Now we're talkin! Does that really not have any fret dots?

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCAHHLBK--squier-contemporary-active-stratocaster-hh-flat-black

I play that kind of stuff, and if it wasn't for the reverse headstock I would have bought this guitar in an instant as the built in active pickups punch way above their pay grade. I ended up getting the jazzmaster version with slightly different pickups and it's my favorite guitar right now, also I wanted a guitar with a hard tail so yeah double with right there. If you want to look like a weird rockabilly player there's also the starcaster version which I haven't played in person but likely is equally good.

Do you think there's any appreciable difference between like a ~12" or ~15" radius for a fretboard?