Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Excelzior posted:

felt like the opposite to me, once you have a kingdom under control blobbing up is exponentially easier because of the resources at your disposal

See I am trying to get out of "tribal" and the inheritance mechanics for county/duchy level things is driving me up the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
When I chose press all claims in a claim war I seem to only get one of the claims (not de jure wars). Am I doing something wrong?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

The Pope got jealous when I converted the court of Alba to Adamitism, and is trying to win the isles and northern europe back by proving that Catholics can be naked too.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It seems like inheritance currently gets very confusing when you get multiple titles with different inheritance types, in addition to the house head inheritance. Which is historical, I guess, if not much fun.

It seems more straightforward for the people who aren't playing with some titles under scandinavian or some version of elective.

[E:]

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The Pope got jealous when I converted the court of Alba to Adamitism, and is trying to win the isles and northern europe back by proving that Catholics can be naked too.

"And that's where calisthenics come from!"

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 7, 2020

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
How do I legitimize a bastard? My queen got maimed in the latest crusade, and I'm thinking I'd like to disinherit my heir in favor of a younger illegitimate son. Not seeing an option for it when I right click him though.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So I decided to do a William the Bastard start. A few rulers later...

Notice the holdings in the Baltic and Italy. Folks, do you like border gore?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Recently discovered my little brother/vassal, age 11 , had a secret love affair with a neighboring princess who was... 28

The gently caress??? Is this common? I’m pretty sure I’m ck2 sexual relations were just not at all available for characters under 16... I mean, I guess having pedo stuff in the game doesn’t necessarily have to be completely off the table, considering all the other poo poo in the game, but seems like it should at least be acknowledged as it’s own sinful/criminal category or whatever. (Or maybe I’m wrong, is this going too far even for Crusader Kings?)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

It seems like inheritance currently gets very confusing when you get multiple titles with different inheritance types, in addition to the house head inheritance. Which is historical, I guess, if not much fun.

It seems more straightforward for the people who aren't playing with some titles under scandinavian or some version of elective

Ahhhhh, got it.

Well I just hope it gets fixed so that I can go back to ruling all of Northern Europe.

Eschatos posted:

How do I legitimize a bastard? My queen got maimed in the latest crusade, and I'm thinking I'd like to disinherit my heir in favor of a younger illegitimate son. Not seeing an option for it when I right click him though.

If she's head of a dynasty you should be able to legitimise them.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hryme posted:

When I chose press all claims in a claim war I seem to only get one of the claims (not de jure wars). Am I doing something wrong?

Unless it's different from ck2 you can only press all de jure claims (or if they are "pressed claims" meaning heritable, but not sure if they're grouped the same way in ck3)

Otherwise whether you press one 'unpressed' claim or "press all" claims you only get the unpressed claim initially selected

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What exactly decides who gets to be Dynasty head?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SubNat posted:

Yeah, when you send out a ransom/release etc demand you already know ahead of time if it'll be accepted or not, so the constant spam of popups and etc feels unwarranted.

CK3 would really benefit from stealing the new instant diplomacy from EU4 for a lot of interactions. Just just give me the money immediately upon clicking ransom. Skip the waiting, pop-up dialog, and notification bullshit. Basically anything that's predetermined should be instant imo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are there jain rulers in the 1066 start?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

super fart shooter posted:

Recently discovered my little brother/vassal, age 11 , had a secret love affair with a neighboring princess who was... 28

The gently caress??? Is this common? I’m pretty sure I’m ck2 sexual relations were just not at all available for characters under 16... I mean, I guess having pedo stuff in the game doesn’t necessarily have to be completely off the table, considering all the other poo poo in the game, but seems like it should at least be acknowledged as it’s own sinful/criminal category or whatever. (Or maybe I’m wrong, is this going too far even for Crusader Kings?)

99% sure that's a bug resulting from some event that fires for children even though it shouldn't. This happens with a couple of more benign things; my intrigue-focused king had a 4-year-old nephew betray his father and deliver a mustache-twirling speech that obviously was not intended for 4-year-olds which was obviously not intended but cute. Child-rape is, uh, considerably less cute.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

If there aren't you can convert to any religion at any time anyways.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I hate to say it, but I fear it's essentially "primogeniture". Whatever it is, it's dumb as hell.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Josef bugman posted:

I think "transfer Vassal" should work.

That works for people who remain your vassal but not people who are newly independent sadly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Broken Cog posted:

I thought the wiki said it's based on military power, calculated up to a year after the Dynasty Head dies?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

super fart shooter posted:

Xerophyte posted:

99% sure that's a bug resulting from some event that fires for children even though it shouldn't. This happens with a couple of more benign things; my intrigue-focused king had a 4-year-old nephew betray his father and deliver a mustache-twirling speech that obviously was not intended for 4-year-olds which was obviously not intended but cute. Child-rape is, uh, considerably less cute.

dunno about that event but considering that it's entirely possible for characters to lie (fabricate hooks) or equally likely, just be straight up insane or paranoid and make accusations, i'm not sure it means pedo poo poo is intended to be true. just that it's reported to you as such.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been thinking about how tribes going feudal means destroying every building and men-at-arms switching to gold payment... Do I just build a couple decades' worth of gold to start rebuilding and maintaining the retinue before doing that decision when it comes?

I am like 6 pages behind so if this was answered I apologize, but more or less yes. I would recommend at least enough to build a city holding and 1 or 2 currency buildings in your domain, so around 1k give or take would be a good idea.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

I clicked around for a bit and looks like there's at least 3. Just no independent ones that I could find. There's a Digambara Raja (duke) and his Thakur (count) in south Parambara if you want your priests naked, and a Yapaniya Thakur in south Kalyani Chalukya if you want everyone naked. No Svetambaras that I could find, but plenty of provinces have the faith.

It should be easy enough to convert someone else if you prefer since half the subcontinent is some flavor of Jain.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there a good start or way of playing if I just want to build out a kingdom or two and then build 'up' for the majority of the game?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

I am like 6 pages behind so if this was answered I apologize, but more or less yes. I would recommend at least enough to build a city holding and 1 or 2 currency buildings in your domain, so around 1k give or take would be a good idea.

Oh, so like 15 or so hooks with a Stewardship lifestyler, seems doable...

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Byzantines have collapsed into a massive civil war, presumably because they've somehow been taken over by a half-Nubian half-Armenian Coptic 14 year old girl.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Guys... there is an option in feasts if you have multiple rivals... to kill everyone at the feast but you with fire... and it apparently has no fail chance?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Speaking of which, that's one of those “well duh” quality-of-life updates I really enjoy with CK3: the ability to do that by just clicking the map rather than digging through a long list of names of regions or person to try to pick the right one. Instead, it's just transfer vassal -> “this bit of land right here”, done.

Even compassionate and beloved people can amass armies and accidentally put an arrow through a guy during a hunting trip…

The good ol' David play, put him in the head of an army and smash it against a wall.

AtomikKrab posted:

Guys... there is an option in feasts if you have multiple rivals... to kill everyone at the feast but you with fire... and it apparently has no fail chance?

Life goals

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 7, 2020

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Spymaster Cat will be the new Glitterhoof

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I am thinking there needs to be a bit more penalty for being in debt. I'm in a Crusade against a dude with 60k troops. Before he died he was at like 20k in debt but still had a giant army roaming around that was near unbeatable with the new AI. Eventually I managed to wipe two of his smaller stacks and start a chain of wins against him, but my fellow crusaders AI eventually hosed me over as even after multiple battles of 10k losses the enemy still has a fresh new stack of 30k roaming around. I just dont see this crusade ever ending.

Also should mention that I have a horse and I get horse events but I cant find anywhere that mentions what they are actually doing.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't there a book series about solving mysteries in the Middle Ages, is there a cat in those

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh god do not pick Africa as a starting place if you arent prepared to be constantly at war. I think the AI needs a bit of a tweak, this seems unnatural.

Also how do I change religions? Or reform one? None of that is covered in the tutorial and I feel like its going to be a big deal if I want to start in Africa and expand into Europe.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Oh god do not pick Africa as a starting place if you arent prepared to be constantly at war. I think the AI needs a bit of a tweak, this seems unnatural.

Also how do I change religions? Or reform one? None of that is covered in the tutorial and I feel like its going to be a big deal if I want to start in Africa and expand into Europe.

You can do both on the religion screen. On your own religion there's a button at the bottom to reform the religion (or create a new offshoot if it's already reformed). On other religions, which you can open up by just clicking on anyone's religion icon on their character info, or clicking the "other religions" button on the main religion screen and picking one from there, that button is replaced by one to convert to that religion.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can do both on the religion screen. On your own religion there's a button at the bottom to reform the religion (or create a new offshoot if it's already reformed). On other religions, which you can open up by just clicking on anyone's religion icon on their character info, or clicking the "other religions" button on the main religion screen and picking one from there, that button is replaced by one to convert to that religion.

Well now I feel silly. Ive been trying to find all that under the culture tab, not even once thinking it had one of its own. :downs:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DurosKlav posted:

Nice, time to go burn down the suburbs of Constantinople a few more times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiIu3YNeiU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Finished my first game starting from 867 today, it was a blast for the most part! I went from having a county or two in Minsk to an empire that spanned two continents with a ridiculous amount of power. In the space of one ruler, I reformed a religion, captured an empire and created my own, and switched to Feudalism, which loving hurt.

I got around the initial problem with having Novgorod split from White Rus' by disineriting all the kids who weren't my primary heir. It worked well, until right before the ruler died he had one last little kid and hosed the whole thing up. I didn't have enough prestige to disinherit him too, so I came up with a different plan.

To be fair, everyone hated that baby.

Through extensive conquests and marrying people off to whatever felt good, I ended up with a bunch of land in Central Europe and Scandinavia. I then converted them to Russian to raise the average development of Russian counties and help innovations. Religious conversions were a different issue, though. I ended up with a bunch of different religions on the fringes and they kept coming back across the borders or being converted by their local rulers. This led to a bunch of rebellions, and helped fuel the Independence Faction. After taking some advice from a friend, I started executing a bunch of people to build Dread and the rebellions stopped. Unfortunately, the King of Ruthenia, who hated my loving guts no matter who it was and kept returning Kabarism to the small area he controlled, never joined them so I could beat him into the ground and force his conversion.

The map just kind of solidified like this. The massive empires were pretty stable, since if one went to war against another it'd leave them vulnerable to a quick grab from the other. It wasn't particularly involving to me though, and I spent a lot of money making duchy titles during this time only to have them disappear later while my vassals fought against each other. Somehow I still hit direct vassal limit and ended up having to make kingdoms, then assign individual counties to them. Transferring vassals seems a little odd. There's a delay, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent delay like with ransoming prisoners, and would sometimes take a year or more to register it in my direct vassal limit.

The Mongols were a wet fart, which seems to be consistent with other people's games. I spent most of the early and mid-game getting ready for them, and when they finally showed up they declared an invasion on me, never showed up, and fell apart.

At one point I got tired of douxoi from the Empire declaring war on me and fought back, which caused the whole Empire to get involved. Luckily this changed the war and let me get a white peace, but it still pissed me off. So I assassinated the emperor, leading to a civil war and causing them to fall apart. Oops. But then I got a superbaby destined for greatness. I used her to strengthen the bloodline and start a huge land grab in Byzantine lands, culminating with the conquest of Constantinople itself.

This disrupted the whole system. Even though we had been comrades fighting off the Pope every time he came calling for England, the Umarids started chipping away at my ridiculous territories in England and Scandinavia, then starting coming for me. They had like 200k soldiers, there wasn't a whole lot I could do. After a couple fights, I realized their armies were all pretty low-quality, so I set about recruiting as many men-at-arms as I could manage. I was all set for a final huge confrontation to reclaim Greater Poland and test my new armies bolstered by a bunch of crossbowmen and armored horsemen, then a religious revolt from my Orthodox subjects spoiled that and the game ended. Oh well!

Here's the final map. I never got around to removing that weird lever the Byzantines have due to truce length, religious revolts, and the Umarids, and taking Yugra one duchy at a time simply did not seem worth it from a cost-benefit perspective. In general, the game seems to lead to blobs, which I'm not sure is intended. I think another playthrough or ten is warranted to verify.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The crusade that will never end. I have won and killed nearly 20k, but they will be back full reinforced in a few months, and I will once again be forced to disband and rebuild my army again. Or my leader will finally die. I will die in real life before this ends.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 7, 2020

Catalina
May 20, 2008

My current character is an 8-year old girl who started getting bullied by her cousin. She's head of the dynasty, and has the option to disinherit him over it. That's amazing.

I'm really tempted to do it, but I'm playing in Ironman, and have put myself in a hard place because of decisions in the past; for instance, her entire close family is dead except for her grandmother because I really underestimated religious rebellions. I don't know what new and exciting CKIII ways this could come back to haunt me.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I have all five holy sites, but reforming the norse faith is going to cost me about 7.5k piety.

Looks like I'm about to spend a lifetime raiding for captives

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you can switch to the Learning lifestyle there's that perk that cuts reform costs in half, that's what I did

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't understand the 'Above Vassal Limit' thing. It seems bugged or broken. It'll say that I'm 3 above my limit and I'll hand out multiple kingships and transfer all the respective dukes, and transfer a bunch of loose counties to local powers and.... then number never changes. Still 3 above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Softface posted:

To be fair, everyone hated that baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9euvJYg3Aqc