Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yeah it was pretty funny. I got medically DQ’ed in a school, got a waiver, but then the a school wasn’t allowed to send any people if they didn’t already had ATF contracts for so even though half of them were 18 year olds who had no idea what they signed up for (literally, their recruiter didn’t tell them that it was SOF selection) and could barely pass the fitness test.

Frustrating as it all was it worked out. Im glad I didn’t get sucked into the military any further.

It blew my mind that they have a job that is critically undermanned but made it impossible for candidates to go. One of the HMs at the base clinic passed screening and was recommended and the HM community manager didn't let them go because guys at clinics was undermanned. It is dumb people can't readily lat convert to it but shut down a guy in the rate? What a system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Competitive rates, opportunities for advancement

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It is funny in Portsmouth watching SWOs visiting from Norfolk become visibly distressed when all the depressed HNs here just go back to staring at their phones instead of greet or salute them.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Scuttlebutt has it he masted a sailor for not self-quarantining, but then that sailor Uno-reversed a picture of the XO eating at a restaurant with hundreds of other people present.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fred Dawes posted:

Scuttlebutt has it he masted a sailor for not self-quarantining, but then that sailor Uno-reversed a picture of the XO eating at a restaurant with hundreds of other people present.

Extremely on brand for a SWO

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Fred Dawes posted:

... the enlisted dream

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What’s Uno reverse?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LingcodKilla posted:

What’s Uno reverse?

Man I knew your navy life was sheltered but how in the gently caress do you have kids (and have been a kid!) and have never played Uno

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh I get it now. I’m too busy on shore leave to play Uno with the duty losers.
It’s been like 10 days of amazing sights. Did manage to get stung by a jelly messing around in the surf.
If any of you reservist OS, IS, IT, CT or CS want some info some of the most ridiculous mob orders ever contact me. Yeah I had to deal with a few months of covid fuckery but it’s all good now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1302714361459412992?s=20

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sounds about right. Always had either a jumper or that one stowaway in 2008 per deployment on that ship.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vriess posted:

Sounds about right. Always had either a jumper or that one stowaway in 2008 per deployment on that ship.

What's that old adage?

A carrier never returns with the same number it deployed with.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

gently caress man :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AlternateNu posted:

What's that old adage?

A carrier never returns with the same number it deployed with.

I don't think we ever had a deployment with less than 1. Usually more. But also a lot of the time they weren't ships company so technically we deployed and came back with the same number.

I will still never forget the guy who took a flying leap off the ACE literally day 1. Put on float coat, took off screaming across HB2 and just...ploop into the water.

They flew him back for restriction.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

I don't think we ever had a deployment with less than 1. Usually more. But also a lot of the time they weren't ships company so technically we deployed and came back with the same number.

I will still never forget the guy who took a flying leap off the ACE literally day 1. Put on float coat, took off screaming across HB2 and just...ploop into the water.

They flew him back for restriction.

Put on a float coat? Usually they take them off. We had a dude who took off his float coat and boots and just jumped off one of the sponsons, but the fantail watch was awake and saw him jump and called it away, so his dumb rear end wound up on restriction and probably got processed out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Did I ever tell you guys about how the dude who jumped off the Lincoln last summer was engaged to a girl in my unit who wrote him a letter about how she cheated on him right before he went DUSTWUN? The story of how deep she went on losing her poo poo is remarkable. Can amplify if you guys want but also understand where maybe that's not a go.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orange juche posted:

Put on a float coat? Usually they take them off. We had a dude who took off his float coat and boots and just jumped off one of the sponsons, but the fantail watch was awake and saw him jump and called it away, so his dumb rear end wound up on restriction and probably got processed out.

Yep, put on the fuckin coat. Nothing says meaning it like making sure you have your floaties.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, put on the fuckin coat. Nothing says meaning it like making sure you have your floaties.

Our guy threw the float coat off the port side; aft watch saw the blinking light, called it away, and dude hopped starboard side. The jump was caught on the flight deck IR camera.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Demonstrated expert military deception techniques, effective planning and flawless execution; promote immediately

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

maffew buildings posted:

Did I ever tell you guys about how the dude who jumped off the Lincoln last summer was engaged to a girl in my unit who wrote him a letter about how she cheated on him right before he went DUSTWUN? The story of how deep she went on losing her poo poo is remarkable. Can amplify if you guys want but also understand where maybe that's not a go.

I’m always up for a good Jody story.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

She went insane on Facebook posting stuff and I'm trying to find the posts, but no Jody, she cheated on him while we were deployed with a dude who was described as "Jack Skellington" and was kicked off his detachment for threatening to murder everyone, up to and including himself.

Give me some time I'll type it up and hopefully have her Facebook posts. It's a doozy

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/US5thFleet/status/1303394656701513728?s=20

Search ended :( He was an IT2

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
poo poo always sucks. We had a kid commit suicide at my command last month, and it really shook the higher ups. The kicker was I was the senior watch officer that day, and there's nothing like trying to handle a situation that sensitive when everyone and their mother up and down the chain are all calling simultaneously for updates. :(

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It actually shook your command? No one on the George Washington seemed to care when we had the highest number of cases one year. I actually remember one chief saying we need to work more so we have less time at home to consider suicide.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Anita Dickinme posted:

It actually shook your command? No one on the George Washington seemed to care when we had the highest number of cases one year. I actually remember one chief saying we need to work more so we have less time at home to consider suicide.

that needs a 5000x size :chiefsay:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress. Poor kid. I wish the navy could be as chill and nice for everyone as it has been for me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Anita Dickinme posted:

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

We had suicide attempts on the regular last deployment and they promoted our Commander. The Mission loves suicide attempts and shoddy construction, I guess.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

We had suicide attempts on the regular last deployment and they promoted our Commander. The Mission loves suicide attempts and shoddy construction, I guess.

We had 3 successful and a loooot of attempted suicides on our 2012 deployment, and Dee Mewborne got a star out of it. Still hate that man.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I wish the navy could be as chill and nice for everyone as it has been for me.

I'd say you need to write a book, but all that'd do is let them know what to get rid of/change so there's no way anyone can ever accidentally follow in your blessed footsteps.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

We had a single E3 as the entirety of our supply division on my boat because everyone else left or tapped. Dude literally didn't have time to think about tapping, and the command had the gall to chew him out for falling asleep after making him sit in a hot engine room for hours during ORSE after having been up for over 24 hours. This was after months of him being solo. I'm so glad I'm out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm at a Marine command. :shrug:

Also, all my ships have been small boys (<200), so having someone decide to voluntarily "dip out" on us was taken a little more seriously.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orange juche posted:

We had 3 successful and a loooot of attempted suicides on our 2012 deployment, and Dee Mewborne got a star out of it. Still hate that man.

Oh hey he was my CO for two deployments. So do i.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's two kinds of COs, the ones who the crew love and will take a bullet for, and the lovely ones that push the crew past the breaking point and they wouldn't piss on them to put them out if they were on fire.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I would add gas.

My wife still makes fun of him for his horrible speech that was mandatory attendance prior to our 2nd deployment.

I seriously wish that man nothing but ill and pain in his life.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If I saw my CO from my one ship tour drowning I guess I’d piss on him.

We lost like 33% of all E3 and below to depression/suicide attempts in the span of a few months. I honestly wasn’t right mentally until about a year after that, that place was a loving nightmare.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I liked my CO in Japan, but that guy was burning the candle at both ends trying to do the job of a 2 star without any supporting staff. He must have aged 10 years in the 3 years I was there with him. When he showed up he had black hair and looked fairly young, when he left to go to whatever billet stateside there is before they put on a star, he didn't have a single black hair on his head, and his face looked like he had been smoking for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s definitely true though, CO’s either inspire a ton of loyalty or inspire a total feeling of apathy.

The garbage skipper also would show up to work around 9 or so and be the first off the brow while we were working 16 hour days.

The CO at the small hospital (still like a thousand personnel) on the other hand seemingly knew everyone’s name and was super chill.