Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm annoyed by my vassals seemingly complete incapability to handle peasant rebellions.
Is there any way for me to help out as a ruler other than keeping an eye on them at all times and offer to join war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, is there a button to CLOSE ALL ALERT TABS on the right?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I don't understand the 'Above Vassal Limit' thing. It seems bugged or broken. It'll say that I'm 3 above my limit and I'll hand out multiple kingships and transfer all the respective dukes, and transfer a bunch of loose counties to local powers and.... then number never changes. Still 3 above.
i had the same problem. you have to wait a bit? like half a year before it'll update.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zane posted:

i had the same problem. you have to wait a bit? like half a year before it'll update.

Yeah it takes forever. Frustrating.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

my game got completely ruined when my heir was hindu out of nowhere, causing everywhere to revolt and go for independence instantly. very annoying

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Fintilgin posted:

I don't understand the 'Above Vassal Limit' thing. It seems bugged or broken. It'll say that I'm 3 above my limit and I'll hand out multiple kingships and transfer all the respective dukes, and transfer a bunch of loose counties to local powers and.... then number never changes. Still 3 above.

seems like you can force it to update by giving a holding away which...will be helpful when you can do that and not super helpful otherwise https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-vassal-limit-does-not-update-untill-i-grant-a-holding-away.1416820/

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ya this is broken. This crusade will never be over unless I just give it to them. Either occupying counties should have a higher cap, troops replenish a lot slower, or battles won and lost score should decay over time. Theres no way in hell I can overcome a 250% score with the friendly AI just throwing tiny 5k stacks into the fray every 3 months to get slaughtered by enemy 60k stacks wandering the country side.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

DurosKlav posted:

Ya this is broken. This crusade will never be over unless I just give it to them. Either occupying counties should have a higher cap, troops replenish a lot slower, or battles won and lost score should decay over time. Theres no way in hell I can overcome a 250% score with the friendly AI just throwing tiny 5k stacks into the fray every 3 months to get slaughtered by enemy 60k stacks wandering the country side.

If you control the war objectives you will get a ticking counter that is uncapped and increases over time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Enjoying the perk system, it adds cool layers to doing stuff, but honestly I also find it frustratingly slow. Experience gain could probably stand to be even twice as fast. As it is, you're only likely to max out two trees in a life. Or I wouldn't be opposed to being able to pass on a few perk points in your specced trees to your heir instead, maybe tied to your learning stat.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Jaytan posted:

If you control the war objectives you will get a ticking counter that is uncapped and increases over time.

As far as I can tell there is no objective other than "England" which i control most of. Or at least I did until a new 60k stack showed up a year or 2 after I wiped the last one off the island. I control the land of guy who is proclaimed the king of england and its still saying 0% of the objectives controlled. Hell I even own Toledo which is the ruler home duchy.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 7, 2020

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Partition seems weird with vassals. They still stick all their poo poo together it just partitions the counties instead of the duchies. Even if I grant 2 kingdoms to a vassal, each kid doesn't get one. That seems to go against the point of Partitioning...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DurosKlav posted:

As far as I can tell there is no objective other than "England" which i control most of. Or at least I did until a new 60k stack showed up a year or 2 after I wiped the last one off the island. I control the land of guy who is proclaimed the king of england and its still saying 0% of the objectives controlled. Hell I even own Toledo which is the ruler home duchy.

For ticking warscore, control needs to be absolute, which means either the attacker needs to occupy every holding in the target, or they need to be controlling no holdings in the target. The former will give ticking warscore to the attacker, the latter to the defender. "Most" isn't good enough to count for ticking warscore.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Wish Tanistry was a bit more... I dunno, clear? Less janky?

Firstly everybody else votes for anything but your choice it seems. Second is if you hook somebody into voting your way the hook will eventually expire so it hardly matters unless you are on death's doorstep

Also it feels a little glitchy in that sometimes the vote switches for a split second and goes back before you have time to see what changed. Happens so often I stopped paying attention to it, confident of my chosen heir's chances

Minutes after reuniting Britiannia and forming an empire my guy dies, I become my lovely grandson who was just about the worst choice. Owns one dutchy and only inherits the empire title. Meanwhile he has an uncle with an amazing seat of powerful irish holdings, 2 kingdom titles and 66 vassals while I have like 12 vassals in north Scotland.

Why on earth would a tanistry think the 19 year old was their guy? Ah well guess I cant have my way all the time. Keeps things interesting I suppose.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
My second game, starting as Bohemia, is off to a much rougher start. Probably because I keep doing dumb poo poo like raiding immediately and getting my whole army killed. Converting to Catholicism at the first whiff of a holy war is good, though. I didn't have much uses for piety in my last game, and now I can use it to beg the pope for money.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For ticking warscore, control needs to be absolute, which means either the attacker needs to occupy every holding in the target, or they need to be controlling no holdings in the target. The former will give ticking warscore to the attacker, the latter to the defender. "Most" isn't good enough to count for ticking warscore.

I dont think thats completely true, and if it is thats also why this will never end as its an impossible task and needs to be changed. This war will never go beyond 50% for the Pope's side when the enemy can just replenish 60,000 troops in a year or less.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jeza posted:

Enjoying the perk system, it adds cool layers to doing stuff, but honestly I also find it frustratingly slow. Experience gain could probably stand to be even twice as fast. As it is, you're only likely to max out two trees in a life. Or I wouldn't be opposed to being able to pass on a few perk points in your specced trees to your heir instead, maybe tied to your learning stat.

I actually disagree. The trees are so strong that they can basically define the playstyle of the character you're playing as, so I think keeping them somewhat sparse spices things up a bit.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Jeza posted:

If you get a good education you start with perk points filled in. There are also mechanics that directly or indirectly increase the number of points you'll get as the game continues: realm building buffs, holy sites, splendor buffs, education buffs, health buffs, etc.

Most of those are pretty limited -- excepting education, anyhow -- which I'm pretty sure is a very intentional choice to force you to distinguish your characters. My current Maximum Chivalry italian boy king plays differently from my Maximum Strategy african warrior queen, but if they perked up significantly faster they'd just end up sort of the same type of Maximum Military character and wouldn't feel as distinct. As is the pace is such that you only rarely get to finish a tree and when you do you know you have a character that's legendarily good at that lifestyle, which seems a reasonable if rough balance goal.

It's always hard in this sort of free talent tree system to manage each character being distinct vs each point being distinct vs a feeling of progression happening. I'm not saying the current state is perfect or anything, but I don't think you could speed up (or slow down) the lifestyle experience gain significantly without losing a lot of distinction given the current breadth of choices.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Crusader Kings 3: HATED A BABY?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My dude seriously wondering if his wife's cheating on him. Buddy your daughter is inbred and your wife isn't a blood relative. Put two and two together.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the best way to get out of tribal tech is to conquer some rear end in a top hat whos already medival and swap your capital to something from their culture and go native. becoming egyptian as a african tribal culture got me like 15 techs instantly

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Losing all of your tribal buildings when you convert to feudalism sure is something. "Boys, I'm a king now. Burn it all down."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

I am thinking there needs to be a bit more penalty for being in debt. I'm in a Crusade against a dude with 60k troops. Before he died he was at like 20k in debt but still had a giant army roaming around that was near unbeatable with the new AI. Eventually I managed to wipe two of his smaller stacks and start a chain of wins against him, but my fellow crusaders AI eventually hosed me over as even after multiple battles of 10k losses the enemy still has a fresh new stack of 30k roaming around. I just dont see this crusade ever ending.

Also should mention that I have a horse and I get horse events but I cant find anywhere that mentions what they are actually doing.

I noticed when hiring mercenaries it was on a three year contract which seemed crazy to me, game play wise and historically. They should be a monthly drain on finances like in CK2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Communist Walrus posted:

Losing all of your tribal buildings when you convert to feudalism sure is something. "Boys, I'm a king now. Burn it all down."

Not sure how else you'd do it except maybe give you a refund? Making Tribal Buildings stack with Feudal would be kinda nuts.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Eej posted:

Not sure how else you'd do it except maybe give you a refund? Making Tribal Buildings stack with Feudal would be kinda nuts.

They turned into low level feudal equivalents in CK2 and that seemed to work just fine.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you can switch to the Learning lifestyle there's that perk that cuts reform costs in half, that's what I did

As if one of my sons wouldn't be a warrior like his father, and his father before him, and so on. For shame!

Didn't know about that perk, that should help!

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 7, 2020

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Charlz Guybon posted:

I noticed when hiring mercenaries it was on a three year contract which seemed crazy to me, game play wise and historically. They should be a monthly drain on finances like in CK2.

I actually like that feature. The problem seems to be levies replenish super quick. Going from 5-6k men to 20k in 6 months is insane. Its like an over correction from like EU4 where you lose all your manpower and you're not doing anything for like 20 years.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 7, 2020

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
867 start in Leinster as my first ironman game to learn the differences from CK2 better. Invaded and de-landed in the first five years by a viking invasion. Start over and realize my character has different stats, learning, etc. That's kinda fun. I take a gamble about 10 years in and roll the 20% chance to die. His 16 year old son inherits the two counties I have and has rolled Grey Eminence so I decide to see how strong the Diplomacy - Family tree is, four wives and a lifetime of friends means I should have pretty good stats once I get a few of the perks. The man dies in his mid 70's with no stats below 14 and diplomacy & learning almost at 30. He's the king of Ireland and all his vassals love him. I had his sons be champions and die off so that his grandson can inherit. We'll see how it goes.

I will note that befriending people, and the perk below it, is incredibly powerful. With even a modicum of diplomacy you're able to keep all your direct vassals in line and -5% stress gain per friend doesn't go away when the friend dies so as long as you befriend 20 people total you won't ever gain stress. As a note having lots of kids means you can befriend each of them as well. It was actually a touching thing when I got the popup saying that my primary wife died and the confirmation button said I gained 0 stress. I could easily picture this old man comforted by his many lifelong friends and large family at the wake.

Hipster Occultist posted:

As if one of my sons wouldn't be a warrior like his father, and his father before him, and so on. For shame!

Didn't know about that perk, that should help!

There are several perks that are almost necessary for doing certain larger things. The middle learning tree gives a trait that increases development growth by 15% and one of the learning focuses does the same, so if you've got a learning ruler you can make massive gains to development in your demense in relatively short time, not to mention that learning increases the benefit to your fascination innovation gain.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
As a duke I'm trying to get in good with my liege. He keeps starting holy wars but when I try to offer to join I can't accept because he's "not defending my faith in this holy war", even though we're both Russian Orthodox. My wife and parents are also Orthodox. What gives?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Chewbot posted:

As a duke I'm trying to get in good with my liege. He keeps starting holy wars but when I try to offer to join I can't accept because he's "not defending my faith in this holy war", even though we're both Russian Orthodox. My wife and parents are also Orthodox. What gives?

He's not defending it. He's attacking another faith. If your faith gets attacked you can join in on that.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

He's not defending it. He's attacking another faith. If your faith gets attacked you can join in on that.

Ah, the problem was in "defend", not the religious compatibility. Got it, thx. Still seems weird I can't offer to help.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I think that's mostly a balance thing. Holy war is a very strong cassus belli that doesn't require any diplomatic shenanigans and lets you to grab entire duchies and counties at low tech levels, so to compensate they are dangerous and you usually can't be sure how much opposition there will be.

There are great holy wars (crusades and jihads) where anyone of the right religion can join in the pile-on. They give the spoils to whoever contributes the most, which would be a very annoying mechanic if it was ported to less-great holy wars and the Byzantines began "helping" by snatching every little Tengri county out from under your nose.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like the dynasty perks that gives you better guests, at least in the earlygame or for smaller realms, but I kinda think it would be better if it gave you a decision like with the champion invites to put out a call for experts.
It's too easy to forget when you have guests.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
stewardship tree is the one true tree.

Right side stabilizes your vassals & councilors who actually matter. The rest gives you loving $$$$$$$$

Money wins all wars. Max all holdings. Buy all men at arms.

really is a kick in the dick though when when your next ruler doesn't get all those mad stats, have to dial back the men at arms until you can build your heir up again.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A feature I wish they'd add is if you're trying to make a match and you get the "they are related and might have inbred kids!" you could click the warning and have it show you who their nearest common ancestor is. 90% of the time it's a total mystery to me how they're related when I get that warning.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I really like the perk tree balance in general, almost all of them feel distinct, flavorful and useful for something. Chivalry makes my bravely naive boy king with 40 advantage not die when commanding, and ups my Knightly Power from about 1500 levies worth of murder to 4000 levies worth of murder, which is a big deal when my actual levy count hovers around 2000 without mercs.

Likewise, my 31 intrigue all-Scheme king basically won a war at 5:1 odds by stabbing two sultans/year until Iberia mostly ran out of sultans. I think he died with a little over a dozen murder secrets, and I only stayed that low because I was a little hesitant to stab Orthodox people since someone important might care.

Could I have survived those situations in other ways? Sure. Will Chivalry be as big a deal when it's 1200, the age of knights is over and I'm the emperor of rome? Probably not. That's all fine though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What do you guys invest in first when building up the realm? Walls for your castles, definitely the first pick, but what comes after that? Cash? Troops? Cash and troops?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So this looks pretty bad:

In this election, my vassals are voting for this Donal guy. Now if I were to die tomorrow and this guy was to become King, then I would lose six titles because they will go to my current son. That's bad right? Like I shouldn't let that happen and I should do everything I can to make sure my Prince is my heir, right?

In retrospect, I'm not sure why that Issue told me to change how the heir is decided. Seems like this is doing more harm than good.....

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

toasterwarrior posted:

What do you guys invest in first when building up the realm? Walls for your castles, definitely the first pick, but what comes after that? Cash? Troops? Cash and troops?

Walls don't matter if you can screen enemies away from your city with troops. I usually build gold production buildings then troops, although you can give your empire a boost by building gold production buildings in your vassal's lands too, as long as you have a good relationship with them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Xerophyte posted:

I really like the perk tree balance in general, almost all of them feel distinct, flavorful and useful for something. Chivalry makes my bravely naive boy king with 40 advantage not die when commanding, and ups my Knightly Power from about 1500 levies worth of murder to 4000 levies worth of murder, which is a big deal when my actual levy count hovers around 2000 without mercs.
Where can you see your Knightly Power? Is that an actual stat? I just see number of knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Click on the Knight button in the military tab and look at the top of the window that pops up.