Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Imagine there is good trek in tyool 2020
Just how much suffering we had to endure for a good trek show.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Arglebargle III posted:

CBS really hosed up by letting someone who cares about Star Trek near a Trek show.

Thing is, it being an explicitly Trek show I think also drags it down a little bit. Trek aside, it's a watered down Rick and Morty - which is not a criticism, R&M often takes things way too far and ends up being a self indulgent mess, while Lower Decks has managed to keep the tone just about right. But the constant cramming in of Trek references and the fact that the characters make no sense in that universe keeps drawing attention to itself and is distracting in an otherwise dumb but fun little show. I wish the universe was some bootleg trek knockoff instead so they could focus on the actual stories more.

Still the best ST branded thing in decades, not that that's particularly high praise.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I definitely don't have a problem with "watered down rick & morty" if that means skipping the excessive gross-out humor or needlessly offensive just-to-be-edgy stuff. Besides we already have R&M for people who want that.

I don't see a problem with these characters in a Trek universe. It's a big universe -- not everyone needs to be perfectly competent, noble, and an example for everyone else. It makes me think a bit of Banks' Culture novels... that usually focus on folks that don't quite fit in to the mainstream of their utopian post-scarcity society -- because the people that do are not as interesting or relatable...

I don't mind little references to other Trek stuff -- why not? Their target audience is people already into Trek, so this stuff seems fine -- I don't think I catch all the little references or visual gags, but that's okay too.

I do hope we get some characters arcs or development, because while on one hand I firmly believe the stakes don't need to be "save the universe" constantly, I prefer at least some lightweight continuity or story progression, not just sitcom-y reset it all every episode stuff.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pastamania posted:

Thing is, it being an explicitly Trek show I think also drags it down a little bit. Trek aside, it's a watered down Rick and Morty - which is not a criticism, R&M often takes things way too far and ends up being a self indulgent mess, while Lower Decks has managed to keep the tone just about right. But the constant cramming in of Trek references and the fact that the characters make no sense in that universe keeps drawing attention to itself and is distracting in an otherwise dumb but fun little show. I wish the universe was some bootleg trek knockoff instead so they could focus on the actual stories more.

Still the best ST branded thing in decades, not that that's particularly high praise.

Which characters make no sense in the universe? Also I 100% believe people would refer to the Ent-D crew nonstop I mean they are basically the rockstars of the Federation.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

socialsecurity posted:

Which characters make no sense in the universe? Also I 100% believe people would refer to the Ent-D crew nonstop I mean they are basically the rockstars of the Federation.

I didn't even blink at that guy's password being Riker. Ronald Emmanuel Docent Jr. is absolutely the kind of huge dingus who would do that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched one guy talk about all the Trek references in Lower Decks and now youtube won't stop recommending me Overlord DVD videos.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You should probably just block the channel since that guy's like a legit white supremacist nazi.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

socialsecurity posted:

It's like if American Dad had 5 jokes per episode that were just references to episodes of Family Guy. It's like there's no pop culture inside the universe of the show except for other Trek shows. It's like if Picard saw the Kurlan naiskos and instead of saying "from the workshop of the master of Tarquin Hill" he said "from the time James Tiberius Kirk met that alien race of sex robots."

In moderation the references are funny and I laughed hard at the "Q on Captain Picard day" one but half of it needs to be replaced by either way deeper cuts or completely fabricated future/alien histories.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Watched the first two episodes. The pilot moves wayyy too fast but the second episode seems much improved. I laughed pretty hard at Rutherford somehow causing 105% casualties in his bridge simulation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

xerxus posted:

You should probably just block the channel since that guy's like a legit white supremacist nazi.

Yea, I wish I could. I watch youtube almost exclusively on my ps4 and there's no way to do that there. Also I did some looking around and he's also the source of a lot of the "Disney bringing back George Lucas to fix star wars" and "Captain marvel failure! Brie Larsen fired!" kind of stories.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I wish I could. I watch youtube almost exclusively on my ps4 and there's no way to do that there. Also I did some looking around and he's also the source of a lot of the "Disney bringing back George Lucas to fix star wars" and "Captain marvel failure! Brie Larsen fired!" kind of stories.

Isn't blocking done at the account level? Just log into Youtube on a browser real quick and block the channel and it'll carry over to your PS4 :confused:

Assuming you're logged in, anyway.

Edit: actually wait, can you even block/ignore a channel on Youtube?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drone posted:

Isn't blocking done at the account level? Just log into Youtube on a browser real quick and block the channel and it'll carry over to your PS4 :confused:

You can use browser extensions to block a channel from being recommended to you on pc, which is what I assume people recommend. But blocking a channel just prevents them from commenting on your videos. Youtube is still going to think after watching SarahZ's video on why Ben Shapiro wanting to debate people is dumb and he's a bad debater, it will fill your recommendations with "Ben Shapiro destroys SJWs with logic and facts!" garbage.

I've been thinking that overt trek references will calm down after a while.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

On my PC, I get an option that's something like "Don't recommend this channel."

As a non-conservative guy who watches videos about firearms, let me tell you... this is a lifesaver.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tarlibone posted:

On my PC, I get an option that's something like "Don't recommend this channel."

As a non-conservative guy who watches videos about firearms, let me tell you... this is a lifesaver.

You just need one channel, because Cody is a cool dude.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

You can also remove a video from your view history and that also, I believe, pulls it out of The Algorithm (tm) as well.

(I manage a corporate Youtube account and spend a decent amount of time watching random poo poo on Youtube while logged in with it, and pruning the view history seems to keep that account's algorithm recommendations firmly in-line with other channels like ours)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Quinton posted:

I definitely don't have a problem with "watered down rick & morty" if that means skipping the excessive gross-out humor or needlessly offensive just-to-be-edgy stuff. Besides we already have R&M for people who want that.

I don't see a problem with these characters in a Trek universe. It's a big universe -- not everyone needs to be perfectly competent, noble, and an example for everyone else. It makes me think a bit of Banks' Culture novels... that usually focus on folks that don't quite fit in to the mainstream of their utopian post-scarcity society -- because the people that do are not as interesting or relatable...

I don't mind little references to other Trek stuff -- why not? Their target audience is people already into Trek, so this stuff seems fine -- I don't think I catch all the little references or visual gags, but that's okay too.

I do hope we get some characters arcs or development, because while on one hand I firmly believe the stakes don't need to be "save the universe" constantly, I prefer at least some lightweight continuity or story progression, not just sitcom-y reset it all every episode stuff.

Yeah I don't need plot development but I do want at least internal character arcs. The reason I thought this last episode was dire was because it's yet another 'Mariner is awful, suffers no consequences' story where nobody learns anything and there is no point.

It was interesting to find out that the showrunner comes from the Rick and Morty writers room, because there's very light elements of R&M around the edges but a full blown rejection of the way that Harmon breaks a story down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Same but conspiracy theories. I just wish YouTube would let me directly tell it some things I do and don't want to be recommended.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

feedmyleg posted:

Same but conspiracy theories. I just wish YouTube would let me directly tell it some things I do and don't want to be recommended.

I managed the case of bullshit videos in my recomm list by manually clicking 'do not recommend' and 'not interested' on these channels with a few likes on the videos I do like.
Youtube wants you to watch as many ads as you can so no way they will implement anything so sensible as focused interests

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Watched the first two episodes. The pilot moves wayyy too fast but the second episode seems much improved. I laughed pretty hard at Rutherford somehow causing 105% casualties in his bridge simulation.

It was a temporal rift, so he probably killed Tasha again, or some people more than once

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I managed the case of bullshit videos in my recomm list by manually clicking 'do not recommend' and 'not interested' on these channels with a few likes on the videos I do like.
Youtube wants you to watch as many ads as you can so no way they will implement anything so sensible as focused interests

Oh yeah, same. I just mean that YouTube tells me topics it thinks I'm interested in at the top of my recommendations, but doesn't allow me to add or remove categories—I don't see how that would get in the way of me watching ads. That's the job of the 5 ad blockers I have.

I'm honestly thinking about creating a second YouTube account just to get a fresh set of recommendations because right now they just show me the same stuff over and over again.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Mal-3 posted:

Treknology nerds Trekyards scored an interview with LDS showrunner Mike McMahan, asking a bunch of questions about the Cerritos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EOXmo5m3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRm5uTzYIrc

I am duly impressed by and respect the guy's commitment to making LDS work within the context of Star Trek.

I wonder if they have a whole 3D model of the ship interior or if they have more of a 3D model of a bunch of sets for the ship.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Oh yeah, same. I just mean that YouTube tells me topics it thinks I'm interested in at the top of my recommendations, but doesn't allow me to add or remove categories—I don't see how that would get in the way of me watching ads. That's the job of the 5 ad blockers I have.

I'm honestly thinking about creating a second YouTube account just to get a fresh set of recommendations because right now they just show me the same stuff over and over again.

You don't get the three dots next to the video titles that gives you a drop down options box?

Clicking "not interested" and "do not recommend channel" on lovely videos made a HUGE difference on my YT browsing and I can imagine it'd be nigh unbearable otherwise. Maybe log on with a PC so you can hit "do not recommend" on all the most annoying channels?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You don't get the three dots next to the video titles that gives you a drop down options box?

Clicking "not interested" and "do not recommend channel" on lovely videos made a HUGE difference on my YT browsing and I can imagine it'd be nigh unbearable otherwise. Maybe log on with a PC so you can hit "do not recommend" on all the most annoying channels?

I only get the top 3 options, the bottom ones are missing.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

feedmyleg posted:

This is what I do. You can create "Channels" without registering a new email. It's also simple to switch between Channels on the PS4.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nullsmack posted:

I wonder if they have a whole 3D model of the ship interior or if they have more of a 3D model of a bunch of sets for the ship.

He's probably had complete deckplans drawn for the last two years in prep.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DaveKap posted:

It's like if American Dad had 5 jokes per episode that were just references to episodes of Family Guy. It's like there's no pop culture inside the universe of the show except for other Trek shows. It's like if Picard saw the Kurlan naiskos and instead of saying "from the workshop of the master of Tarquin Hill" he said "from the time James Tiberius Kirk met that alien race of sex robots."

In moderation the references are funny and I laughed hard at the "Q on Captain Picard day" one but half of it needs to be replaced by either way deeper cuts or completely fabricated future/alien histories.

Without detracting from the argument that fan service references are going to be played out really quickly if they’re not sprinkled in more carefully and less obviously, I don’t think just making up canon non-TV-episode references would work for jokes at all. In my mind, what’s funny about a reference (and take funny with a grain of salt) is that it’s humorously comparing the current situation to something else the viewer is familiar with. Picard’s line isn’t meant to generate any emotion from the viewer so he can basically reference anything and we just take it at face value that it’s a real thing that he knows about because he’s a really smart guy. If you insert a non-TV reference into Mariner’s dumb “what is this” thing it just sounds stupid. Like “ooh I’m surrounded by spears who am I, admiral Brozan on Klavdia III??” which makes no sense to us behind the fourth wall. The only way to set that up would then be to do a “hey lt. lois, remember the time admiral brozan got surrounded by spears on klavdia III?” cutaway gag.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDkNce1DApI

I never made the connection that the Cerritos and the Vancouver have the same warp nacelles and the Cerritos is missing the housing.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I hated the Cerritos the first time I saw it. I like it far better now after seeing it in action, but I really like the Vancouver.

I still dislike the Discovery. I appreciate that it comes from the concept art for TMP/Phase 2, but it just looks like a D7 with a saucer on it to me. The color's wrong, the size and proportions are wrong, everything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So I didn't notice anyone else in the thread asking this, but when Zhaban said "they killed the alarm" was he talking about Number One? Please tell me that the best boy in Starfleet is okay :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I hated the Cerritos the first time I saw it. I like it far better now after seeing it in action, but I really like the Vancouver.

I think the pylons connecting the saucer to the nacelles are still way too long, but it would probably look too much like a Miranda if you shortened them and I get that the ship looking goofy is probably part of the joke. It’s definitely grown on me since I first saw it though. The Vancouver is nearly perfect for a post-TNG design, I just don’t like the stupid extended impulse engines.

I don’t like Lower Decks and tbh I don’t really see the appeal, but credit where credit is due when it comes to the ship designs so far.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

if there was one thing that would be nice would be to maybe pull back a bit of Mariner's manic energy, I like it from Tendi because she is just super overwhelmed by all the new things she is experiencing but with Mariner it is just exhausting to watch. The references are whatever, but again I think any issue I have with them is that the majority come from Mariner and not any of the other characters. We are already halfway through the first season and I feel that the only character that we really know anything about is Mariner, any other information about Tendi, Rutherford, or Boimler is set dressing and, in a way, isn't anything beyond surface level. Rutherford is a cyborg, his enhancements make him better at things he is already really good at and also bring out some of his other tendencies that aren't great (social skills). Tendi wants everyone to like her and can't stand it when people don't, loves everything about space and is also pretty good at science and engineering stuff. Boimler is a stick-in-the-mud and a slave to regulation, also a bit of a kiss rear end since that's what he thinks will get him promoted.

Outside of Boimler we don't really know anything about half of the established cast and what we do know about Boimler seems to have really only come about by force from Mariner, Mariner is the one dominating all of the development, not helped by the fact that the captain is also her mother. The show has already given us a nice dynamic cast to go through but we don't get to learn about them. Having not watched Discovery I can't say but this was a pretty big problem in Picard, we went an entire season and we didn't really learn a whole lot about the main cast and what few individual moments we did get were surface-level or really cheap, such as Raffi speaking with her estranged son. I mean, it's not hard to explore the background of other characters so it is kind of frustrating that that hasn't happened yet

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Aces High posted:

We are already halfway through the first season and I feel that the only character that we really know anything about is Mariner

And we haven't even gotten to the big reveal about how she watched dozens of her fellow Academy graduates die horribly at the hands of the Jem'Hadar, due to a bad decision she made on the very first away mission under her command as a brand-new Lieutenant. You see, that's the real reason why she refuses to advance in rank and sabotages her own career and uses inappropriately manic humor and an affected "I don't care" attitude: it's all to mask the ever-present guilt and pain. She refuses to even acknowledge that the tragedy happened at all. Her mother is using her own position as a ship captain to try and break through the farcical shell that Beckett has built around herself, and re-establish contact -- second contact -- with the scared, broken girl that must still be in there. There's one sign of hope: she's still using the last name "Mariner", taken from the beloved shipmate she had married less than a day before the disaster.

Blast shield, it's a blast shield.

I'm joking, but just in case the writers do try to pull something like this, I'm totally counting this as an I Called It.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

really hoping nobody has a tragic back story

in animation the director can't pretend he's being profound by putting an actor in extreme closeup and making them gurn at the camera for a whole scene

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like people are expecting much. Hell someone brought up futurama earlier and you barely know anything about the characters. Most of their backstories outside Fry don’t happen until the backend of the original run.

It also has a poo poo ton of 90s references. Like a surprising amount for a show about the future

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's also a lot harder when your season is only 10 episodes instead of the 20 something that Futurama had

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's a structural issue. Mariner is by far the most interesting and engaging character. If the writers need a character to advance an A-plot, she's the natural choice. They've obviously already decided on the pairings they;'re going to go with most of the time, so Mariner usually drags Boimler along. The obvious solution to achieve balance between the characters is to put Mariner in he background and develop Tendi and Rutherford for a couple of episodes.

Or they could let her stay over the top and dominating the storylines. And I'm just going to keep comparing her to Burnham and laughing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m now imagining people complaining their aren’t enough episodes focusing on Amy and Hermès and it’s kind of funny

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Hermes episode where they have to go to the central bureaucracy place or whatever is way better than the Amy stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Amy stuff usually dragged in Kif and thus Zapp Brannigan though, so that was always fun. If Lower Decks follows the same trajectory as Futurama did re-watching the first episode after the season ends will make it seem a hell of a lot better because we've had time to learn the characters and understand the jokes as being derived from their traits. Like even the name dropping by Mariner is now funnier, because it's the kind of thing she'd do. She's done poo poo so of course she just casually mentions all the famous people as if they're personal friends.