Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

That's one or two steps away from a shooter with the art style of The Return of the Obra Dinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
the problem with all these new retro styled shooting games is that DOOM still owns and there are hundreds, thousands? of rad free mods for DOOM and you can just play DOOM forever basically

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Light Gun Man posted:

the problem with all these new retro styled shooting games is that DOOM still owns and there are hundreds, thousands? of rad free mods for DOOM and you can just play DOOM forever basically

All the more reason to play Amid Evil since it does the herculean feat of tearing us away from Doom.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

so I bought Death Stranding

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Light Gun Man posted:

I mean that's true but having the world's most perfect infinite cake doesn't mean I don't want to try these other weird new cakes

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean that's true but having the world's most perfect infinite cake doesn't mean I don't want to try these other weird new cakes

yeah, that's fair. i've been eying some of them too. and have like a dozen mods lined up for future playing. embarrassment of shoots

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even though I only got into Doom and Doom mods a few years back, I'll probably be playing it for the rest of my life, so long as there's more stuff being made for it. But different shooters have different "feels" to them and I like to mix it up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hub Cat posted:

Kinda wish The Bureau was a better game or they had made a sequel, there are flashes of something interesting buried in that cobbled together mess.

No joke, Control is making me want to go back and replay it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Krazyface posted:

I just, JUST realised "Amid Evil" is a pun on medieval

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

StrixNebulosa posted:

so I bought Death Stranding

i loved the poo poo out of this game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Krazyface posted:

I just, JUST realised "Amid Evil" is a pun on medieval

or an anagram whatever.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Morter posted:

or an anagram whatever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Made it to the Hinterlands and I'm immediately getting bombarded with a bunch of 'collect the 5,000 puzzle pieces scattered around the map' challenges. No wonder multiple goons were driven to insanity when they actually tried to do these. I won't make the same mistake, I'll do as many quests as possible, but the collections will remain incomplete.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I'll do as many quests as possible

You do you, but imo you might want to be flexible on this part too.

Edit: That might sound super negative, but I'm just saying this won't be the only zone stuffed with quests, so I'd try not to play until you're starting to feel burned out and then expect to move on and hit the "real game" where that isn't an issue anymore or anything. That's what I was expecting when I played, and it made the game suck more than it had to that I had that expectation.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 7, 2020

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i want to play a game i know i own but i forget the name and steams new sorting situation wont let me just see everything i have.
its an older game maybe 4ish years old, fps rogueish game the ads for the game were like old 90s shooter ads levels are on a spaceship.
i thought it was called strife but thats showing a different game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kly posted:

i want to play a game i know i own but i forget the name and steams new sorting situation wont let me just see everything i have.
its an older game maybe 4ish years old, fps rogueish game the ads for the game were like old 90s shooter ads levels are on a spaceship.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/295770/Rogue_Shooter_The_FPS_Roguelike/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... I heard that the Rise of the Triad remake was too faithful to a lot of the not-so-good mechanics the original had, and that's also buggy and unstable. It's only $1.69 which seems cheap enough that I should get that much enjoyment from it... but then again I bought Lichdom: Battlemage because it was only $1, and that wasn't fun either.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can almost guarantee that ROTT will be more fun that Lichdom, if only for the fact that every enemy doesn't start taking 1000 shots to kill as you go further in the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kly posted:

Close, Strafe.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mordja posted:

Close, Strafe.

thats the one, thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sinteres posted:

You do you, but imo you might want to be flexible on this part too.

Edit: That might sound super negative, but I'm just saying this won't be the only zone stuffed with quests, so I'd try not to play until you're starting to feel burned out and then expect to move on and hit the "real game" where that isn't an issue anymore or anything. That's what I was expecting when I played, and it made the game suck more than it had to that I had that expectation.

yeah there are plenty more hinterlands where that came from. don't feel compelled to do everything, just know it's not much different elsewhere.

it was a dumb, misleading defense of the game. it is what the game is, but it's not something everyone will hate.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mordja posted:

Close, Strafe.

That's just the protagonist of FFVII

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yep, Clamp Strafe.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... I heard that the Rise of the Triad remake was too faithful to a lot of the not-so-good mechanics the original had, and that's also buggy and unstable. It's only $1.69 which seems cheap enough that I should get that much enjoyment from it... but then again I bought Lichdom: Battlemage because it was only $1, and that wasn't fun either.

It's rough around the edges but generally fun except for the boss battles. I'd otherwise even call it a "good", if flawed, game well worth a couple bucks but holy gently caress the bosses are a miserable experience even on normal difficulty. I was only able to beat NME after something like 4 hours of trying when its pathfinding bugged out and it got stuck on one of the shipping crates. For about the third time. The other two times it happened it got unstuck before I could unload enough ammo into it :shepicide:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Yep, Clamp Strafe.

Clump Strife, the poorly done laundry that haunts all anime.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

El_Elegante posted:

Arcanum dwarf women were canonically kept secreted away from non-dwarf society

I prefer the Pratchett version: Every dwarf has a beard. An important part of dwarven courtship is delicately finding out whether the other interested party is male or female.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's rough around the edges but generally fun except for the boss battles. I'd otherwise even call it a "good", if flawed, game well worth a couple bucks but holy gently caress the bosses are a miserable experience even on normal difficulty. I was only able to beat NME after something like 4 hours of trying when its pathfinding bugged out and it got stuck on one of the shipping crates. For about the third time. The other two times it happened it got unstuck before I could unload enough ammo into it :shepicide:

That's pretty true to the original. That boss was ridiculously difficult.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Made it to the Hinterlands and I'm immediately getting bombarded with a bunch of 'collect the 5,000 puzzle pieces scattered around the map' challenges. No wonder multiple goons were driven to insanity when they actually tried to do these. I won't make the same mistake, I'll do as many quests as possible, but the collections will remain incomplete.

Yah, about that... All the quests in this game are of the "go here and collect 10 goat horns" variety, so... The only exception are the main story quests you unlock by doing enough of the collectathons.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mordja posted:

Close, Strafe.

Gott "Strafe" England?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Yeah the boss fights in ROTT 2013 are pretty abysmal. I played on Hard and legitimately defeated every boss except for El Oscuro, who I beat my head against for a long time. I think I even rage-uninstalled the game because of it (one of the only times I’ve done that in years), cooled off, reinstalled it a day or two later, and finally killed him after he glitched onto a piece of geometry and I found a relatively safe vantage point to wear down his health from—just to see how insurmountable of a task it was. It still took an uncomfortably long time and I have no idea how you would do it legitimately...to say nothing of attempting it on “ludicrous” mode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
alan wake thing - while the game's really short on visual imagination outside of the dlc's, thomas zane is an incredible piece of character design

also the game designer's rant in the sanitarium is as perfect as i remembered it being

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Yah, about that... All the quests in this game are of the "go here and collect 10 goat horns" variety, so... The only exception are the main story quests you unlock by doing enough of the collectathons.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I do the 'bring this letter to a guy standing 10 m from here' quest and they give me a Power point. You must end up with thousands of Power if you do all of the quests.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So now that I have a month of Humble Choice again, I need to ask: is there even a single game on the entire storefront that actually offers you the advertised 20% Choice discount? Because I've yet to ever see that number go above 5-10%.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So now that I have a month of Humble Choice again, I need to ask: is there even a single game on the entire storefront that actually offers you the advertised 20% Choice discount? Because I've yet to ever see that number go above 5-10%.

It defaults half as a discount and half to charity. You can go into the sliders and change it to get the 20% discount.

Monster

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And for the record, most of them do. It's usually just specific games that literally just came out or from specific (predictable) publishers that don't.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

5,000 Somali orphans died so MonkeyforaHead's video games could be slightly cheaper

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

It defaults half as a discount and half to charity. You can go into the sliders and change it to get the 20% discount.

Monster

I... somehow never actually realized that.

Phlegmish posted:

5,000 Somali orphans died so MonkeyforaHead's video games could be slightly cheaper

oh noooo

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I must be bad at recognizing bad writing because I didn't think the text in Alan Wake was bad at all

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ymgve posted:

I must be bad at recognizing bad writing because I didn't think the text in Alan Wake was bad at all

It was pretty bad. Stephen King's writing is much better, to me, although I've no doubt you could cherry pick some real stinkeroos out of context (there's a lot of shifting writing styles to communicate character's mental states, which bothers some people but works really well for me), so maybe that's what happened to Alan Wake's writing? But I got the impression that the excerpts from the books were supposed to be characteristic, in which case yeah, it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I thought that the writing in AW being BAD Stephen King pastiche was intentional, that Alan was a pretty bad writer all things considered.