Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 46.36%
No 81 53.64%
Total: 151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Palate cleanser: what’s everyone reading these days? I’m picking this up; it seems like a great “how I met your matriarch” story to tell the kids at Antifa Indoctrination and Training after we seize them from their beheaded white parents.

https://twitter.com/TitoTitoq85/status/1302589151930470400?s=20

If you don't already listen to it, go check out the Lions Led By Donkeys podcast by Joe Kassabian. It's great. He's a leftist and completely hates the military, so he'd fit right in here.

I just finished his first two books, working on the third. His first book is called The Hooligans of Kandahar, about his group of misfit soldiers in his squad, and the hijinks they did, the stupidity and incompetence they endured, and more. Very good book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D26JRXJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vXxvFbHBAMTC4

His other books are sci fi, and are going to be a trilogy, though there are only two out so far. They're both great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG7KH5Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QXxvFbD2HFSA1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BSZPWKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JYxvFb9Q6ETT9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bouncing between "Stamped from the Beginning", "Legion vs Phalanx", and "He'll in a Small Place". I just finished "Call Me God" about the hunt for the DC Sniper.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Palate cleanser: what’s everyone reading these days?

Refreshingly straightforward compared to a lot of today's overly academic or meandering writing, sadly 100% relevant as if nothing changed since it was written.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Palate cleanser: what’s everyone reading these days?

I'm reading the Oddjobs series by Heide Goody and Iain Grant. It's hilarious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

Beowulf: A New Translation.

Since I just typed this up in the discord a few minutes ago, I'll copy/paste (and add some punctuation because ugh):

God I am loving this "bro" version of beowulf.
There's a new translation that uses more modern English with some slang thrown in where it makes sense. The idea being that nobody says "Hearken!" and so forth, they say things like "Hey!" or "Bro!" when it's time to drop some truth on someone at the bar. So for those who haven't read Beowulf since 8th grade, the scene is early, Beowulf & Co have just arrived and been accepted as the fighters sure to kill Grendel. A jealous rear end in a top hat, Unferth, throws shade and Beowulf responds:

"Well actually, buddy, sit down, you're drunk. Unferth, you've run your mouth about Breca, me, and our sea-swagger, but let me drop some truth into your tangent. I've been better on the water, deeper in the drink, and stronger in the swim than any man alive...(insert badass story of killing sea monsters here)...I've racked my brain bro, but, Unferth, I can't unpack any similar stories of heroics from you. Let me say it straight: you don't rate...No poo poo though, Unferth, if you were the bitter-brawling brave you claim to be, your king wouldn't have suffered a single night of Gendels rampage...your sword's soft, son."
it's like three loving pages of verbal devastation

Actually, from my knowledge, the reason "Bro!" works is because the first word in Beowulf is untranslatable, so the translators just use the best extant stand-in words they can, or just go with the *tenor*, like with "Bro!"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BTB read another chapter of ben shapiro's awful, awful tom clancy ripoff this week https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/MtnMD/status/1302494236265205760

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nick Soapdish posted:

2024 is gonna be a hell of a Presidential campaign. Assuming Biden wins, he's said he will only serve a single term so Kamala won't have that usual incumbent boost. And if Trump wins then it is another four years of even more insane poo poo that just erases normal and breaks laws. Either way, the next campaign is gonna be full fasc

I'm wondering if the GOP would go back with Trump in 2024 or say "thanks, but no thanks", at which point Trump goes full Perot out of spite. But, if he wins (and I hope to gently caress he doesn't)...

That Works posted:

I mean 100% honestly I see him as vastly more likely to be the next nominee than anyone else. Pompeo would be the 2nd most likely to me. Both of them have for whatever reason not gotten the downsides of the 2016 field and have managed to be 100% favorable to the current administration and can still sit back and say they are "original / non Trump" Republicans if they really need to (Cotton moreso).

But yeah if we are looking at GOP rule in 2024 or 2028 we're already well into turbofucked territory for some time. I hope things don't go this way at all but I have zero optimism wrt planning on what to do etc.

...I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump starts talking a Trump Dynasty if he wins and somehow catapults Don Jr. onto the ticket in '24.

:perfect:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Photoshopped, unfortunately. The pole and flag.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

Since I just typed this up in the discord a few minutes ago, I'll copy/paste (and add some punctuation because ugh):

There's a new translation that uses more modern English with some slang thrown in where it makes sense. The idea being that nobody says "Hearken!" and so forth, they say things like "Hey!" or "Bro!" when it's time to drop some truth on someone at the bar. So for those who haven't read Beowulf since 8th grade, the scene is early, Beowulf & Co have just arrived and been accepted as the fighters sure to kill Grendel. A jealous rear end in a top hat, Unferth, throws shade and Beowulf responds:

"Well actually, buddy, sit down, you're drunk. Unferth, you've run your mouth about Breca, me, and our sea-swagger, but let me drop some truth into your tangent. I've been better on the water, deeper in the drink, and stronger in the swim than any man alive...(insert badass story of killing sea monsters here)...I've racked my brain bro, but, Unferth, I can't unpack any similar stories of heroics from you. Let me say it straight: you don't rate...No poo poo though, Unferth, if you were the bitter-brawling brave you claim to be, your king wouldn't have suffered a single night of Gendels rampage...your sword's soft, son."

Unfiltered opinion: I'm about this. This is my poo poo, made4me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Palate cleanser: what’s everyone reading these days? I’m picking this up; it seems like a great “how I met your matriarch” story to tell the kids at Antifa Indoctrination and Training after we seize them from their beheaded white parents.

elise the great had a review of that in c-spam and was not impressed with the writing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

I like how it keeps the old english alliterative rhyming style.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not as much as other versions, but it's definitely there. The page formatting is set up for it, too, which I did not try to copy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The GOP candidate in 2024, assuming there IS a 2024 election, will be something the RNC cloned in a vat. That is, a relative unknown that they've groomed to be palatable to both establishment Republicans *and* the MAGA Chuds.

If Trump had even 5% of Reagan's "aw shucks" charisma to hide his evil and incompetence we'd have already annexed Canada and most of Mexico and Central America and he'd still have a 60% approval rating.

Mayor Pete was the boys from brazil test dry run

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also audiobook editions of Dr. Cornel West's Race Matters and Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 7, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Race Matters is easily the best of the bunch, like almost a third of it is explicitly about not letting nihilism gently caress you up which is p. relevant in this moment

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Days of Rage, by Bryan Burrough.

An account of how leftist activists in the late 60s crawled up their own asses politically, then failed to achieve any of their objectives (end racism, reform justice system, end Vietnam war).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Can you give us the TLDR about how they went up their asses as opposed to getting Fred Hampton'd

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A group of (white) law and polisci students split off from the main leftist protest organization, Students for a Democratic Society, formed a group called the Weather Underground, then through a copious amount of drugs and group sex convinced themselves they were the vanguard of a communist revolution.

They committed a string of minor bombings, because in those days you could buy cases of dynamite with a drivers license.

Their major claim to fame is a cell of Weathermen blowing up the townhouse they were staying in that was owned by a cell members rich parents..

Their intention was to be an ally org for the Black Panthers, but friction between the two groups, and after Hampton was killed they went in separate directions.

I haven't gotten to the BLA/SLA part of the book yet.

It seems, and this is in retrospect, that it might be difficult to bring the working class of America to your cause when you run naked around high schools and college campuses shouting about Mao and Ho Chi Minh.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So my “what are you reading?” post was mostly a joke to introduce that My Antifa Lover book you the thread, but real talk- I’ve been slowly picking away at Alex Vitale’s The End of Policing.. if you’ve ever read Christian Parenti’s Lockdown America (which was written 20 years ago but is still depressingly prescient) you’ll note many of the same themes, but yeah- US law enforcement is hosed.

On a happier note, I did my annual read of all of my Calvin and Hobbes books recently. Still as magical as ever and still just as subversive. Bill Watterson really is a natural treasure and an artist who was truly ahead of his time.

Also, despite not being a parent, I find myself identifying more with Calvin’s dad each day, especially his staunch anti-consumerist and anti-media views. He’s also a grumpy cyclist like me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think you could redeem breakfast cereal boxes for TNT in those days.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We got the son of two Weather Underground people elected DA here in SF. It's been great. He ended cash bail, didn't prosecute anyone for protesting, and makes cops incredibly angry.

To be honest I think he thinks of himself as a centrist.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i am reading policy because i wanna make E6 in a timely loving manner.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

We got the son of two Weather Underground people elected DA here in SF. It's been great. He ended cash bail, didn't prosecute anyone for protesting, and makes cops incredibly angry.

To be honest I think he thinks of himself as a centrist.

Ha, the son of Kathy Boudin and David Gilbert, who were in prison for robbing a bank with the SLA.

So they give him to Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, who were also Weathermen.

when your folks are that far left anything you do is going to be centrist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One Cali wildfire was confirmed to be caused by a gender reveal party:

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1302806883409903617

And if you're thinking HEY THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR, you're right!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/us/arizona-gender-reveal-party-sawmill-wildfire-trnd/index.html

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So my “what are you reading?” post was mostly a joke to introduce that My Antifa Lover book you the thread, but real talk- I’ve been slowly picking away at Alex Vitale’s The End of Policing.. if you’ve ever read Christian Parenti’s Lockdown America (which was written 20 years ago but is still depressingly prescient) you’ll note many of the same themes, but yeah- US law enforcement is hosed.

On a happier note, I did my annual read of all of my Calvin and Hobbes books recently. Still as magical as ever and still just as subversive. Bill Watterson really is a natural treasure and an artist who was truly ahead of his time.

Also, despite not being a parent, I find myself identifying more with Calvin’s dad each day, especially his staunch anti-consumerist and anti-media views. He’s also a grumpy cyclist like me.

I need to reread these as an adult. I think the last time i went through them was when i was 16

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Of course it was that poo poo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/us/arizona-gender-reveal-party-sawmill-wildfire-trnd/index.html

un-loving-believable

they didn't say what color the smoke was!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doc Hawkins posted:

un-loving-believable

No new pope.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Doc Hawkins posted:

un-loving-believable

It was brown.

Parents that dumb, kid's practically bound to be a piece of poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gender reveal parties seem like the best argument in favor of abolishing gender completely.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fister Roboto posted:

Gender reveal parties seem like the best argument in favor of abolishing humanity completely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Colorado news: we just had a string of 90+ degree days, and in less than 24 hours it's supposed to start snowing.

:tif:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's a little annoying. Last year it was early october. It'll all be gone by thursday though. Just means I need to bring my seedlings in tomorrow and turn on the grow lamp.

The news earlier said they were expecting snow to not be much of a help for the fires.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

These things are chud poo poo to begin with and I bet they aren't remotely concerned that they're teaching those libs a lesson

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Assigned Cop At Birth

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It was brown.

Parents that dumb, kid's practically bound to be a piece of poo poo.

Lol

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Fister Roboto posted:

Colorado news: we just had a string of 90+ degree days, and in less than 24 hours it's supposed to start snowing.

:tif:

We’ve already got ash falling like a snow dusting, might as well get some real snow this week

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just gonna spend my afternoon tomorrow on my balcony watching cars play slip and slide on the relatively busy road I live off.

Frank is gonna eat his body weight in snow, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I covered the sprinkler backflow preventer, disconnected the garden hoses, and drained the swamp cooler. Just gotta cover our plants and I'll be good to go (jesus i hope so)