Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't put too much time into POE2 but the combat did seem to make a lot more sense to me compared to POE. (Keep in mind I am in the "RTwP is too janky to work most of the time, just give me turns" camp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a good camp

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
a camp of foul cravens

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
In CK3 I became King of Ireland, had something like 12 children and had very high intrigue so I ended up assassinating 8 Kings of England in a row.

Good game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm playing pillars of eternity 2 and it's astonishing how much better Baldur's Gate gets when it's turn based and not shackled to D&D rules

I knew the basic idea of the genre could be good from DOS2 but that changed a lot more. PoE2 basically changed the bare minimum from the old D&D games needed to make them playable.

I am on my 3rd playthrough of Pillars of Eternity 2. Really love this game for a lot of different reasons, mainly the environments though, and world building. I am excited that Obsidian is working on a 3rd game, but it'll be more like Elder Scrolls, it just takes place in the PoE world.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh my god I didn't realize Koudelka was four disks, I thought it was like a slightly shorter game I might be able to marathon in like 12 hours or something

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's four discs because of a bunch of voice acting and stuff, it's about as long as Parasite Eve.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Like you can get one of the ultimate weapons for saving the game with a time of 11:11:11 (hours, minutes, seconds) on the clock, and I remember having to idle the game for an hour or so at the very end of the game to get it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hmmm. That post also makes me want to actually beat Parasite Eve 2 since I never managed to as a kid. I gotta say, having doubled my yearly completed games list in the last week has been encouraging in my quest to not be so bored all the time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

every time i try to boot up parasite eve 2 i get hyped as gently caress in the die hard tower and then it dumps you in the most boring desert nowhere area imaginable and i die a little on the inside

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

blue squares posted:

I tried and quit PoE 1 three times over the years. I found the combat confusing and often too hard. Is the second game notably better?

I barely remember PoE1. I played it but bounced off of it. I definitely like PoE2.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't put too much time into POE2 but the combat did seem to make a lot more sense to me compared to POE. (Keep in mind I am in the "RTwP is too janky to work most of the time, just give me turns" camp)

In the Real Time with Pause category, I recently beat Arcanum and I think it was the first time I did real time for 98% of the game. Since I loaded up on Charisma and followers, and the AI attacks as fast as possible (faster if you boost their Dex a couple points with some charged rings) so they were delivering dozens of attacks every second without me having to do anything. In my many previous attempts I didn’t have a lot of followers and mainly operated in turn based, which makes every encounter about 10x slower. I get that you would need more time to select spells or items but when that method produces functionally identical results to recruiting a murder squad but adds 30 hours of tedium, it’s just a trap option.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't know why I put off getting a Bluetooth adaptor for my PC so I don't have to unplug/replug and re-activate the PS4 controller drivers every time I shift slightly. I just ordered one and it cost me like ten bucks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Call me when they add a blue mode, like a proper Final Fantasy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't know why I put off getting a Bluetooth adaptor for my PC so I don't have to unplug/replug and re-activate the PS4 controller drivers every time I shift slightly. I just ordered one and it cost me like ten bucks

Put it on a usb extender away from the pc too. My pc has all usb 3.0's and other interference generating bullshit in it and i cant play wireless without creating distance between it and the reciever. A lovely 3ft usb 2.0 cord did the trick

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zeether posted:

Anyone else have TVs that have lovely overscan on PS4 and there's 0 way to stop it because the TV's picture options don't do jack

I had problems with this for years and then a few months ago realised the extra monitor I've been borrowing to work from home is much better so now I use that instead lol

i did not realise how bad my tiny old tv was until I compared FFXIV screenshots especially in the 24 person alliance raids

there's german people asking me to do something in the first screenshot idk what I hope they weren't mad at me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does “xD” mean in German??

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good to see Teldrassil getting work after BfA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What does “xD” mean in German??
excellent deutsch

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Character Action".

Too late, but this actually made me realize why Immersive sim makes me upset but RPG, MOBA, character action* et al don't: RPGs are named after TTRPGs, there's no such existing genre as Battle Arena, Character Action games are action games, but Immersive Sims aren't in the Sim genre.

* Stylish action is better, but I'm fine about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

character action and "stylish action" are both poo poo

theyre brawlers

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They're only brawlers if you aren't rated with style points

VVV that too

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 7, 2020

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re only brawlers if fists are the primary weapon, I don’t make the rules

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Unreal_One posted:

Too late, but this actually made me realize why Immersive sim makes me upset but RPG, MOBA, character action* et al don't: RPGs are named after TTRPGs, there's no such existing genre as Battle Arena, Character Action games are action games, but Immersive Sims aren't in the Sim genre.

what is an Immersive Sim

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Unreal_One posted:

immersive simulation not simulator

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

In the Real Time with Pause category, I recently beat Arcanum and I think it was the first time I did real time for 98% of the game. Since I loaded up on Charisma and followers, and the AI attacks as fast as possible (faster if you boost their Dex a couple points with some charged rings) so they were delivering dozens of attacks every second without me having to do anything. In my many previous attempts I didn’t have a lot of followers and mainly operated in turn based, which makes every encounter about 10x slower. I get that you would need more time to select spells or items but when that method produces functionally identical results to recruiting a murder squad but adds 30 hours of tedium, it’s just a trap option.

after my most recent playthrough i'm leaning towards arcanum just not being a very good game. it's a great premise and some good quests bolted onto a trainwreck.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

if I am playing on PC and my frame rate is swinging rather quickly from around 60-70 back up to 120+ rapidly, should I turn down the graphics until the frame rate is steady? I can't tell much difference to be honest.

Do you have Gsync/Freesync?

If not, and you're using vsync, that's gonna be a big problem. If your monitor does 144 though I would assume you do have gsync/freesync in which case everything should run fine at whatever frame-rate as long as it looks fine to you its cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unreal_One posted:

Call them Deus Ex clones if it makes you more comfortable :shrug:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

what is an Immersive Sim

For some reason, what people have settled on for the System Shock style games.

Rinkles posted:

immersive simulation not simulator

Simulators are in the Simulation genre, this don't fix the problem

Zaphod42 posted:

Call them Deus Ex clones if it makes you more comfortable :shrug:

Oh, no, I'm just shouting at a ship that has sailed,

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kerrzhe posted:

what is an Immersive Sim

A deus ex 'em up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nm, just semantics over dumb labels

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I like calling them 0451 games but you gotta be savvy to get that one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The reason why its a sim is because its supposed to have a simulated world with consequences for the players choices like capping your boss at unatco hq makes everyone hostile.

At the time fps games were strictly run and gun doom clones there were no emergent systems.

Thats why warran specter called it an immersive simulation he wanted to make the player feel part of the world

Also i dont care what they called cause these days only one studio makes them so just say arcane game

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Much like how Prey should have been allowed to be called Psychoshock I can't believe they didn't call Bioshock Infinite either Skyoshock or Flyoshock.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The reason why its a sim is because its supposed to have a simulated world with consequences for the players choices like capping your boss at unatco hq makes everyone hostile.

At the time fps games were strictly run and gun doom clones there were no emergent systems.

Thats why warran specter called it an immersive simulation he wanted to make the player feel part of the world

Also i dont care what they called cause these days only one studio makes them so just say arcane game

Also Warren Spector's whole thing is trying to "simulate one city block", down to complete detail, rather than trying to create some massive 10,000 square mile open world.

So, even though they're not simulators, they are an attempt at simulation of sorts, yeah.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Belt Action Game is the preferred nomenclature

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Much like how Prey should have been allowed to be called Psychoshock I can't believe they didn't call Bioshock Infinite either Skyoshock or Flyoshock.

Bethesda needed a game for the trademark they had lying around. Literally. They asked Akrane if the name was okay, not the other way around.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bioshock infinite has a 0451 code iirc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Bethesda needed a game for the trademark they had lying around. Literally. They asked Akrane if the name was okay, not the other way around.

Step 1 in their failure to market the game. Like yeah I can imagine how much more attention a game called PsychoShock (or whatever) would garner compared to the muddy signal reviving the Prey name sends. Attention from the relevant audience, anyway.

e:Wonder if 2K would give them trouble, though that'd be rich since they did the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Step 1 in their failure to market the game. Like yeah I can imagine how much more attention a game called PsychoShock (or whatever) would garner compared to the muddy signal reviving the Prey name sends. Attention from the relevant audience, anyway.

e:Wonder if 2K would give them trouble, though that'd be rich since they did the same thing.

But there were so many fond memories of the original Prey to cash in on!