Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Bust Rodd posted:

I also feel like we’re getting more out of MM from the first 3 episodes than we really got all last season. MM has this obviously loving, paternal energy that seems to have power over all the other men in the team. Everyone LOVES MM!

The whole sequence with the whale to talking to Butcher was the best MM has been all show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1302718905346002944?s=20

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"the" is a strong word there

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Calm down Mr Rogan

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

"the" is a strong word there

Eh, Seth Rogan is like Kevin Smith at this point, he can actually just wave his hands at a nerd property and will it into being. I'm confident this show never happens without Rogan.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Mr. Dude Weed LMAO wanna start poo poo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Boys like many modern streaming shows has like a dozen producers, that's all I mean.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I will miss from the comics (since they went an incredibly different route plot wise and character wise), is Hughie taking a poo poo in tek knight's batcave thing, since he code locks the bathroom door for some reason.

I can't really think of a singular other thing in the comic series that was worth all the other dumbass EDGEDOM crap they threw around.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Love Sausage now & forever

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat, yea he was funny. Ok, that makes 2 things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only thing I will miss from the comics (since they went an incredibly different route plot wise and character wise), is Hughie taking a poo poo in tek knight's batcave thing, since he code locks the bathroom door for some reason.

I can't really think of a singular other thing in the comic series that was worth all the other dumbass EDGEDOM crap they threw around.

"Je t'aime. From the first."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jedit posted:

"Je t'aime. From the first."

I just got done reading the comic series and this hits hard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xenomrph posted:

You're not done *yet*. Ennis - probably to coincide with the new season - has put out a new series called "Dear Becky" that follows the events of the original GN.

It's not getting very good reviews, though: https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/06/03/review-the-boys-dear-becky-1/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2020

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

and of course the whole of Chronicles of Riddick was a waste

THE WRONGEST OPINION IN HUMAN HISTORY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xenomrph posted:

It's a brilliantly timed piece of writing. Frenchie is touching the Female when he says it, and she doesn't let anyone touch her. In fact, I'd say that the entire relationship between those two is the best and most subtle thing in the comics. The scene where they're alone together when Frenchie goes to collect the Female after she performs a hit and he brings her back to normality with a bag of chocolate limes. Butcher thinking they're nuts for playing stupid games when it's actually an inversion of the relationship in Leon - Frenchie is trying to help the Female be a child for a little while because she never had the chance. They are clearly going down that route in the series, with Frenchie teaching her to read and write, just without him being a loony about anything that isn't her. If it goes all the way to the original end it's going to be a huge emotional payoff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I only read a few of the comics before I gave up and scanned through the Wiki... the show is good this season, I hope they mostly use the comics as inspiration

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I only read a few of the comics before I gave up and scanned through the Wiki... the show is good this season, I hope they mostly use the comics as inspiration

Well, yeah, I could kind of do without the "Good Soldier" moment. :ohdear:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Even though epi 3 leaves Hughie as a little less obnoxious, I still want to see his head explode (repeatedly, as a time loop).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't expecting this show to make me so drat thirsty for a fresca, and of course there's none anywhere near me cause of this covid bullshit

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Gaius Marius posted:

I wasn't expecting this show to make me so drat thirsty for a fresca, and of course there's none anywhere near me cause of this covid bullshit

Yeah, I could go for a fresca too.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fresca is disgusting.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Did storm front remind anyone else of laura loomer?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah more than a little bit. She wasn’t wearing extremely waxy bright red clown lipstick which is the Loomer signature.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I was like "wait, what?" when a character named Stormfront appeared and that reaction proved to be completely founded but I thought it was interesting that her name being a dead giveaway was seemingly a result of being extremely online as my sister had never heard of it and was taken by surprise by the character's racism. To be honest I didn't actually study her costume enough to notice the nazi components of it until I saw it pointed out and then went back and yep, there's the SS earrings and eagle belt.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone remember all the posts suggesting that maybe Stormfront wouldn't be a Nazi? As if.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You can't have a character named Stormfront, who was a nazi in the comic, and not make her a nazi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I was like "wait, what?" when a character named Stormfront appeared and that reaction proved to be completely founded but I thought it was interesting that her name being a dead giveaway was seemingly a result of being extremely online as my sister had never heard of it and was taken by surprise by the character's racism. To be honest I didn't actually study her costume enough to notice the nazi components of it until I saw it pointed out and then went back and yep, there's the SS earrings and eagle belt.

In the comics its a guy who speaks with a German accent so its even more on the nose.

What's fun is Stormfront's costume isn't really all that different from Homelander's.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zaphod42 posted:

What's fun is Stormfront's costume isn't really all that different from Homelander's.

I feel like we're really turning a corner on this one, almost there, y'all

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boo_radley posted:

I feel like we're really turning a corner on this one, almost there, y'all

That was the point, don't be so condescending

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else noticed the thinly-veiled nazi references associated with this new character "Stormfront?"

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Sorry, that was pretty lovely. I feel like we're really stuck on Stormfront's presentation and parallels with Homelander.

E: to help pull up a little bit: I thought the small "no, doesn't matter" from Eagle the Archer while bailing out Deep and getting mis-identified was a great touch. I wonder if the scientologists-analog will wind up being a major player.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 7, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

boo_radley posted:

I feel like we're really stuck on Stormfront's presentation and parallels with Homelander.

Well if you wanna change the subject :justpost:

boo_radley posted:

E: to help pull up a little bit: I thought the small "no, doesn't matter" from Eagle the Archer while bailing out Deep and getting mis-identified was a great touch. I wonder if the scientologists-analog will wind up being a major player.

The part where Eagle said something like "who attacks guys with TEC-9s with a bow?! But archery is timeless!" and the religious lady was mouthing the words "archery is timeless" right as he does, that was great.

Really good parody of the whole Hawkeye being in the Avengers thing.

E: Oh, also its real quick, but you can see when The Deep writes down his self-description when he's taking the "test", he mentions his "incredible lung capacity". (avoiding the gills)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

boo_radley posted:

I wonder if the scientologists-analog will wind up being a major player.

They strike me as a Season Three thing. Minor satirical player this season, presaging a bigger villain turn next season.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Definitely could be a group that steps in to "adopt" the capes after Vought falls from grace to give them purpose.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh, I just remembered the one question I had.

So... Raynor puts 2 and 2 together and is instantly sniped or something because Vought can't let some info get out...

But then The Boys are allowed to just... leave? How does that work? I guess we'll find out later but just seems kinda weird and they should themselves be questioning this more? Its not like they got out of there super fast, a sniper definitely could have killed more of them.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Apoligies for bringing it back to Stormfront (like... her character is total cspam/goon bait lbr), but here's an article on Entertainment Weekly about her. Turns out the showrunners are as extremely online as y'all.

quote:

But then the writers room took further inspiration from alt-right trolls on social media and platforms like Reddit. For better or worse, they all fell down "a lot of white supremacist rabbit holes," which Kripke called "horrific."

"So many of them are couched in new media, specifically reaching out to young people and gamers," he says. "The videos are like these cute girls who are saying the most hateful sh— but they are young and their noses are pierced. ‘Be a free thinker!’ They put on a new set of clothes but it’s the same hateful sh— that people have been saying for a thousand years... We wanted to recreate that experience for the audience, that the monsters are not wearing 1960s crewcuts. They are attractive and they’re savvy and you have to be aware of that."

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, I just remembered the one question I had.

So... Raynor puts 2 and 2 together and is instantly sniped or something because Vought can't let some info get out...

But then The Boys are allowed to just... leave? How does that work? I guess we'll find out later but just seems kinda weird and they should themselves be questioning this more? Its not like they got out of there super fast, a sniper definitely could have killed more of them.

Nah, there was something different at work. Sniper bullets do not give you a nosebleed three seconds before they hit you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Nah, there was something different at work. Sniper bullets do not give you a nosebleed three seconds before they hit you.

Yeah that's fair. But its not like that was homelander lasers. So I guess some other supe? But then again the question, why not the boys?

But I guess its meant to be an obvious mystery. Just seems like the boys should discuss how loving weird that was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

It's going to be something like nanotechnology. If someone they know is investigating them says the wrong thing, Vought literally blows their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's going to be something like nanotechnology. If someone they know is investigating them says the wrong thing, Vought literally blows their mind.

Yeah the only thing that makes sense as to why the boys wouldn't be immediately attacked is if it was some kind of remote device specifically targeting Raynor. Like Vought has explosives implanted in all CIA agents necks or something.

But the timing is still pretty suspect, like, they'd have to be listening in?