Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently Amazon started recommending VNs to my 65 year old mom yesterday. She asked me what they are and I hope my explanation of "Digital book with pictures and sometimes reader interaction via choices" was sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

cute meganekko miku in that

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
frankly you could get a mom into VNs with phoenix wright and uchikoshi stuff. my mom played pw and layton in the og ds era

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Space Flower posted:

frankly you could get a mom into VNs with phoenix wright and uchikoshi stuff. my mom played pw and layton in the og ds era

I tried to get my mom into PW, Layton, and Ghost Trick, but it didn't take. Being on an old small DS probably didn't help.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mawaru penguin gentleman

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My mom really likes Nintendo and Super Nintendo-era platformers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Space Flower posted:

I bought my mom a Switch when she was going through chemo and she loves the thing. She is very Not Good with technology but she has beat every Pokemon game since Pearl/Platinum. Phoenix Wright would be a good intro now that I think about it more.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Furnaceface posted:

Apparently Amazon started recommending VNs to my 65 year old mom yesterday. She asked me what they are and I hope my explanation of "Digital book with pictures and sometimes reader interaction via choices" was sufficient.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGoffNx1f6IHR5LEH0D6tQ

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Rightstuf licensed Interspecies reviewers and is releasing it under their hentai label, haha. Guess that’s one way to make sure people know what they’re getting into.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Late but Roujin Z is fantastic and worth watching

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Allarion posted:

Late but Roujin Z is fantastic and worth watching

Yeah Im going to watch it after I finish Lucky Star (and assuming I can find it on one of the various streaming sites).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Roujin Z hasn't been relicensed yet sadly

I swear GKIDS had the rights but apparently not

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Slime is best beastmaster.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've been watching Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki and it's good fun but the first stand alone OVA blew the rest out of the water and I liked that it was more comedic slice of life stuff.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just finished unicorn gundam it was very uuuuuh?? we really doing this? at the end.

Now i'm gonna switch between episodes of ideon and turn-a gundam.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm ready to Be Invoked tomorrow and have my soul ripped and thrown into the karmic plane

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about Tamayura but it's gradually built up to be one of my favorite animes. It's just so gentle and pure, I really love it. Having a cute girls slice of life anime framed around the main character healing from her father's death thanks to the thoughtfulness of her friends is just super touching :kiddo:

It also has one of the g.o.a.t. anime openings thanks to Maaya Sakamoto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2PUY0jWwyw

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MiyabiYuko/status/1302815520794705920

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:swoon:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:same:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm much more receptive to Lucky Star now than I was in high school. Maybe I'll give Haruhi and K-On another shot too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cephas posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about Tamayura but it's gradually built up to be one of my favorite animes. It's just so gentle and pure, I really love it. Having a cute girls slice of life anime framed around the main character healing from her father's death thanks to the thoughtfulness of her friends is just super touching :kiddo:

Yeah, I had never even heard of it until this post :v: and it was from 2013!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm much more receptive to Lucky Star now than I was in high school. Maybe I'll give Haruhi and K-On another shot too.

I didn't get around to watching K-On until last year, and it was a really worthwhile experience.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

k-on is the best of those three by a wide margin imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think you should really compare them when they all go for very different things, k-on is a grounded slice of life thing compared to haruhi being a weird paranormal sci-fi story that switches genre and tone often and lucky star being a goofier gag comedy where every other joke is about characters being gay

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a dub specific joke in Lucky Star where Akira calls Minoru "nerdy turtle" and it's referencing his VA being in TMNT and that amuses me to no end

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:same:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

that shark makes an extremely good couch cushion by the way

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the numa numa dance

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know? Sharks ain't all that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Y'know? Sharks ain't all that.

I agree. Orcas are way better.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
orcas are def way better at being assholes

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cephas posted:

Should I watch all the seasons? The ova first?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The OVAs first, then Tamayura Hitotose, then Tamayura More Aggressive, then the movies last

It's written and directed by Junichi Sato, so it's extremely in the style of Aria the Animation. I also feel the need to warn you that the twintail girl is obnoxious and holds the show back, but that the whistling girl is extremely good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm about 1/3 of the way into the first Undead Adventurer light novel and really digging this. The characters are likeable and the main character doesn't have some world ending plot to foil just yet.

Hopefully the rest of the stories keep up the quality.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

I agree. Orcas are way better.
But can they go "Shaaa!" when threatened?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/franmm127/status/1302016250772516864?s=21