Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The answer for gardening is to figure out what stat booster you want and then dump multiples of the same type of flower seed to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inu posted:

Thanks for the replies about gardening. That's...way more complicated than it seems like it should be.

I just got to the point in my second Black Eagles playthrough where I refused Edelgard. After having just played through her story, it made me feel really bad. Rhea better not let me down!

That feels like a full on Arrested Developer narrator cue right there.

Rhea did, in fact, let everyone down.[/spoiler

As a note, the ending changes if you [spoiler]S rank Rhea.
So, if you want the full Silver Snow experience... that's a thing.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 1, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Rhea did, in fact, let everyone down.[/spoiler[

You actually only need an A rank.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I read that too, but I had A rank and the normal stuff happened.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A-rank means Rhea lives in the endings she's mentioned and allows Byleth to S-rank her.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

chiasaur11 posted:

Rhea did, in fact, let everyone down.[/spoiler

Is there some unique mechanic that lets you miss getting her up to support A? I've got a message saying that I missed an opportunity to deepen our relationship, which I don't recall ever seeing with any other character.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
All of Rhea's supports have a cutoff-time, A being the most strict (after Byleth's upgrade, but before the timeskip). There are some other supports like that, most student C-supports can't be unlocked after the timeskip I think, but Rhea's is the most strict.

You can see her A support on any route, but only Silver Snow lets you S-rank Rhea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, on any route except Edelgard's, reaching C support or better with Rhea will unlock Rhea's paralogue in part two.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

All of Rhea's supports have a cutoff-time, A being the most strict (after Byleth's upgrade, but before the timeskip). There are some other supports like that, most student C-supports can't be unlocked after the timeskip I think, but Rhea's is the most strict.

You can see her A support on any route, but only Silver Snow lets you S-rank Rhea.
Her B rank has an equally obnoxious cutoff point (must be obtained and seen before starting chapter 11's mission). In my first run, I unlocked Rhea's B support by getting enough points during the cutscene in the tomb, but since the game counts that as happening after the cutoff point, I had to earn it again on another playthrough.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got the Ashen Wolves DLC because I have a 22 hour flight ahead of me on Friday and why not?

Hard mode in the side story is = Maddening main quest, isn't it? I have never seen so many 70-80% chance to hits fail. I had to restart the first map because I had three 80%+ misses in a single turn, then Yuri decided to proc Pavise 5 times in a row when I was out of pulses. >_>

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yes, Cindered Shadows Hard is roughly equivalent to Maddening in the main game. A lot of stat inflation and you'll find yourself relying on certain resources (Ashe's Battalion having the Retribution gambit, for instance) to get the job done. Things get complicated further by the DLC cutting off Constance and Hapi from their very good Faith spell lists (Constance learns Ward and Rescue, Hapi learns Physic and Warp), thus your healing spellcaster options are limited to Linhardt, Balthus and Yuri.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I thought hard was very playable in a way maddening absolutely isn't at the beginning. Like you don't need to exploit the mechanics as hard as you can to win, you can actually kill enemies with your units and there's totally room for some experimentation and player expression.

It's wayyyyyy harder than the main game's hard though, that's for sure.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd say they're equal. Maddening, you can snap over your knee fairly early by optimising builds but you don't really have any room to do anything remotely interesting in Cindered Shadows. So even though I'd say the raw power on enemies is closer to hard, you're fighting with much worse units overall so it feels like Maddening.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Amppelix posted:

I thought hard was very playable in a way maddening absolutely isn't at the beginning. Like you don't need to exploit the mechanics as hard as you can to win, you can actually kill enemies with your units and there's totally room for some experimentation and player expression.

It's wayyyyyy harder than the main game's hard though, that's for sure.

Yeah I'd say that the DLC on hard is somewhere between the regular story on maddening NG and maddening NG+ in difficulty, assuming in NG+ you're set up well and use battalions and such from previous runs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Holy balls, map 3 with the spellbreaker key. :psyduck:

That was like an hour and a half of my life down the drain because you can't do tactics when you don't have all the info. Constantly respawning puppets and mando key requirements that just dump your movement into the gutter for no discernible reason.

I can't imagine that map taking less than 2 - 3 hours on an initial run even assuming you do everything right.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
My strongest memory of Cindered Shadows is lining up a trade chain to hit all of those keys at once only to find popping one gives you a movement debuff... post-canto

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AlternateNu posted:

That was like an hour and a half of my life down the drain because you can't do tactics when you don't have all the info. Constantly respawning puppets and mando key requirements that just dump your movement into the gutter for no discernible reason.

I can't imagine that map taking less than 2 - 3 hours on an initial run even assuming you do everything right.

The key is set in stone at map spawn. If you chose wrong just rewind and run for the next one without further penalties.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FoolyCharged posted:

The key is set in stone at map spawn. If you chose wrong just rewind and run for the next one without further penalties.

You're loving kidding me? I thought you had to get all three and work through the debuffs. :negative:

I just lost another 2 hours working through all that poo poo only for Constance to get doubled by the last possible attack before I could run it to the end zone with no pulses left.

Edit: Don't take this a complaining, though. I'm having more fun at this challenge level than I did going through the main campaign on hard. :getin: I just wish I had a little more customization with the team.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 3, 2020

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

AlternateNu posted:

I really didn't like that map. Like you said, all the enemies popping in just felt like a kind of unfair challenge.

There were some interesting maps in the DLC though. It felt like they were a little more creative with map design. There's one that is kind of a chase that was pretty cool, even if it was still kind of stressful.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I finished the DLC yesterday, and it was a pretty awesome addition. (Still not sure if it was $25 good, but I had fun.) Time to do a maddening run to see how good these beef-lords are. :getin:

Also, I just found this, and now my head canon is Claude singing God Shattering Star on the last map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhWhTbe3MWk

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Joe is so hammy in that, I can't help appreciate it.

I think the DLC was fun but not mindblowing and the addition of extra classes and characters is worth it for spicing up an extra run or two. Balthus is busted.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wish it was a built in randomizer instead tbh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't surprise me if games started doing official randomizers some day. I've been seeing more mods for it lately and roguelikes have been popular for a while

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I would like both fixed-growth modes and randomizers as postgame unlockables, but I don’t see either happening

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zoran posted:

I would like both fixed-growth modes and randomizers as postgame unlockables, but I don’t see either happening

They have done a fixed growth mode before so I could see them doing it again.

Randomizer seems much more unlikely as they've shifted much harder onto a story focus with their most recent games and remakes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly they might as well put in fixed growths as an option at least if we’re at the point where growths are rigged to avoid zero-stat levels.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zore posted:

They have done a fixed growth mode before so I could see them doing it again.

Randomizer seems much more unlikely as they've shifted much harder onto a story focus with their most recent games and remakes.

Oh, no. You keep the character interactions and storyline the same. You just randomize the starting affinities and growth charts as a set profile. So, sometimes you'll just get a Marianne that punches things really good and can't cast a spell to save her life. :getin:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's been more than two decades and we still don't have a "Restart Map" option on the menu. I'll eat my hat if they give us a built-in official randomizer.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
There's a Withdraw option though, isn't that basically the same thing? You still need to skip the cutscenes, but that's all.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cloacamazing! posted:

There's a Withdraw option though, isn't that basically the same thing? You still need to skip the cutscenes, but that's all.

If the load times for 3H weren't complete rear end, I would agree with you.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

galagazombie posted:

It's been more than two decades and we still don't have a "Restart Map" option on the menu. I'll eat my hat if they give us a built-in official randomizer.

Restarting the map is incorporated as part of the rewind mechanic

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chronojam posted:

Restarting the map is incorporated as part of the rewind mechanic

That keeps your charges spent on rewinding and a proper, "try this map again without resetting the main menu" option still doesn't exist.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Randomizers as a feature also work less with a system that is based on giving you customization as a core mechanic anyway, as typically modern Fire Emblem games have been via reclassing systems. If they make a return to fixed class games I could see it happening but not if they stick with Fatewakening/3Houses style stuff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They should have just given me a item that let us reverse stat growths then. Make it DLC exclusive or whatever I NEED MY MUSCLE MAGES

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly they might as well put in fixed growths as an option at least if we’re at the point where growths are rigged to avoid zero-stat levels.

When was the last time a fremblem rigged level-ups to always give a stat though? I'm pretty sure 3H allows null levels, so it would probably be, like, Radiant Dawn... six? games ago is long enough that they're probably not doing that again.

The only level-up rigging in 3H is that level-ups are determined at map start, and that's a concession to letting the player rewind turns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the last time is 3H. it does it in a clever way though: your student units and byleth are never allowed to have levels with fewer than 2 stats, but everyone else is fair game. this way all of the level 1 units can't get super mega screwed, but all of the later recruits who don't need it don't get the protection. this is also why it's not obvious that the system is in place unless you pay careful attention.

also what are you talking about, empty levels were impossible in all 3 3DS games too

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think I found a new favorite support scene: Hapi discovering coffee for the first time!

"Woah! This is not what I expected. It kind of tastes like mud, but also, it's delicious and I never want to stop drinking it." :haw:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Like Clockwork posted:

When was the last time a fremblem rigged level-ups to always give a stat though? I'm pretty sure 3H allows null levels, so it would probably be, like, Radiant Dawn... six? games ago is long enough that they're probably not doing that again.

The only level-up rigging in 3H is that level-ups are determined at map start, and that's a concession to letting the player rewind turns.

The last game that didn't have any sort of rigged levels was Path of Radiance iirc though I can't remember the system 11 and 12 used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

PoR did have a “fixed growths” mode, though. Which was horribly convoluted and I never used it, but it exists.