Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Bloop posted:

Probably about the safest thing in my elementary school playground was this exact model of jungle gym:

It... wasn't over grass though.

Man I spent a LOT of hours crawling all over that thing

My primary school playground had one of these. I will never forget the feeling of pride I felt as a little kid when I finally found the courage to climb all the way up to the top.

Ours wasn't over grass either. It was over tanbark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The oceans rivers sky or sea

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The oceans rivers sky or sea

Or else you're going to get what you deserve!

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Sep 6, 2020

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I was born in 94 and I remember watching Recess and other cartoons and being completely boggled by the concept of having any playground equipment at school.

Our playground was just a fenced in craggy asphalt parking lot. Nothing to play or climb on, but any fall would result in bloody hands and/or knees.
There was a small patch of grass off to the side that we were specifically NOT allowed to set foot on. We would try to sneak on and sit there as long as we could. Just chatting. And then get chased off by the lunchladies/playground monitors.

I seriously could not believe there existed schools where kids were allowed to play on grass and had swing sets and jungle gyms and poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pasketti posted:

I was born in 94 and I remember watching Recess and other cartoons and being completely boggled by the concept of having any playground equipment at school.

Our playground was just a fenced in craggy asphalt parking lot. Nothing to play or climb on, but any fall would result in bloody hands and/or knees.
There was a small patch of grass off to the side that we were specifically NOT allowed to set foot on. We would try to sneak on and sit there as long as we could. Just chatting. And then get chased off by the lunchladies/playground monitors.

I seriously could not believe there existed schools where kids were allowed to play on grass and had swing sets and jungle gyms and poo poo.

93 here and yes this is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That sounds terrible. Falling off the tops of tire forts onto asphalt or, if you were really lucky, mulch was a childhood right of passage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wtf what about the scorchingly hot spider bars!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Huh, I've seen that picture many times, and only now realized that kind of construction is where the name of the game "chutes and ladders" comes from

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > Playground structures that did not age well

Shoulda lined a bunch of them up on the top with their lunch pails

One of my favorite things about that picture though is how vague the structure is. Take the kids out of the picture and it looks like somebody knocked a house down but the pipes stayed standing.

We had boss playgrounds all the while I was in elementary school; first was a regular set of the hot slide/swings/monkeybars arc and one of those wooden castle looking ones described on the last page (I loved pushing people in the tire swing- I did not want to ride in it myself really, but I was really good at swinging people around on it). Around 3rd grade they tore that down and started to build a new playground, which came in stages, which was a solid and fun playground, but by the time I was in 4th grade (end of elementary in my district) they had to split recess because the grade below us were fuckups, and i remember the lunch aides letting the lovely bad behaving third graders play on the good playground way more often than letting us graduating 4th graders, who were well behaved, play on it (memory may be occluded by indiginance of childhood)

When I was in high school they added a huge, architecturally mismatched annex to the building in the gully where most of the playground used to be; they rebuilt a new playground on the hill where the wooden castle had been long ago. It seemed like that 3rd to 4th grade playground was really short lived.

I feel really sad for y'all that says you had no playground equipment. I guess people were afraid of some litigaiton or liability issues. Most of hte parks near me have decent equipment, kids have to go out of their way to get hurt sure (or just be a nimbus like me and clonk your head on something as you run around/under it) but they still seem to have a drat good time on there

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was born in '89. I was the exact age as TJ and his gang when the show came out. My first elementary school's playground was gigantic, had a big sand pit area with all the traditional playground equipment, a large field, swing sets, a basketball court, an awning, and tetherball. It was pretty much what the show depicted. Then in sixth grade I moved to a different area and my new school had a barebones basketball court, field, and some swing sets. That school whomped.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sweeperbravo posted:

Huh, I've seen that picture many times, and only now realized that kind of construction is where the name of the game "chutes and ladders" comes from

Snakes and Ladders dates back to the 2nd century AD.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was born in '89. I was the exact age as TJ and his gang when the show came out. My first elementary school's playground was gigantic, had a big sand pit area with all the traditional playground equipment, a large field, swing sets, a basketball court, an awning, and tetherball. It was pretty much what the show depicted. Then in sixth grade I moved to a different area and my new school had a barebones basketball court, field, and some swing sets. That school whomped.

The kids at my school would've probably picked a fight with yours, and we probably would've been owned

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I was also born in 89 and pretty much every playground and every campus I used was torn down the year after I went through it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jedit posted:

Snakes and Ladders dates back to the 2nd century AD.

drat, the evolution of the recess jungle gym really has come a long way.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

InediblePenguin posted:

At my school we had the "Creative Playground" which was a massive all-wooden structure with a castle tower and slides and ladders and climbing and a fireman's pole and a wood-and-rope bridge. I think there was a movement around those things in the late '70s and '80s, because there's quite a few results with that specific name on google. They took it down around the turn of the millennium and now there's just some plastic swingsets. Sucks.

a bit like these right?

we had one of those at a civic park where i grew up until it was taken down in the 2000s ... ours was massive, like it took up a quarter of the park space, and was very vertical being built on stilts with stuff like rope nets for scaling, while also being multi-sectional, each part having a theme, and generally being built like an obstacle course

china still has them in a similar style, but using plastic and metal

i'll miss that old playground, it was like sen built a fortress for preschoolers from wood guaranteed to give splinters and we're probably not going to get ones like them again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
my school playground was the parking lot for the building and the connected church + it was on a hill so you couldn't really play any ball games on it. there were some painted lines including a circle at the top and I was so out of it one day I just followed the circle around until i got dizzy and fell back onto the concrete and whacked my head

turned out I also had food poisoning so that was a fun day or three of recovery

what was this thread about again

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

what was this thread about again

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In the late 70s, there was a sitcom called Soap. It was, well, a parody of soap operas. I remember the controversy surrounding it even before a single episode had aired. Various self-righteous religious groups lost their collective poo poo. Many ABC affiliates even refused to air it. I distinctly remember the general manager of my local affiliate coming on explaining why he thought it too offensive and that he would not allow it to be shown on his station.

ABC was aware of this and in the summer of 1978 (after the first season had ended) showed it on their late Friday night timeslot (11:30pm). Our local station DID carry that. The show was a hit and all of the stations that had refused to show it were chomping at the bit to show the subsequesnt seasons. What was funny was that, as a parody, it had storylines that were in abundance in daytime soaps - murder, adultery, and so forth, but nobody seemed to have a problem with that.

Soap took it a bit further featuring alien abduction, demonic possession, inappropriate teacher-student relations, attempted suicide, and more.

One character that stood out was Jody Dallas. A gay man portrayed by Billy Crystal. He was having an affair with an NFL quarterback (who was not so open with his homosexuality). Jody wanted to have a sex change and at times was seen cross dressing. When his boyfriend broke up with him, he became suicidal. As the show went on, his homosexuality would be pushed to the back burner. At one point he even fathered a child and, later, was committed to a mental hospital where he thought he was an old Jewish man (this, I believe, was done because Crystal had done this in his standup act).

There's probably plenty about the show that would not be considered funny today just as a lot of soap opera storylines would not be acceptable.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you're confused by that description, you won't be, after you watch an episode of Soap!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's probably plenty about the show that would not be considered funny today just as a lot of soap opera storylines would not be acceptable.

The big one that sticks out now is Luke and Laura, the General Hospital storyline that really went mainstream and became a major influence on other soaps. Luke and Laura were a supercouple, a soap term about the two destined lovers who go through thick and thin. They weren't the first, but it's where the term became popular.

What makes the story really, really in hindsight is how it started. Luke raped Laura.

General Hospital later made him the ultimate good guy and it was seen then as an extremely romantic relationship. Both actors involved have addressed it since and both are very squicked out about it now.

Other soaps have done the same storyline since. Not much else is considered so off now that they wouldn't do it again. Some idiot will probably do that storyline again on a soap. Buried alive, baby stealing, nobody has a problem with that. Returning from the dead only draws a yawn now as it's been so common.

That's not to say that soaps have not drawn controversy, but soaps of the 1970s were usually a tad more progressive, dealing with everything from marital rape to abortion (pre Roe v. Wade) and inter-racial couples. The latter one was dropped on Days of Our Lives because of angry viewer mail. Soap had the Billy Crystal storylines, but that's one thing that daytime drama barely touched for the longest time: homosexuality. They're even worse on racial issues and racial representation has, as a whole, been horrible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly, for how hosed up and bad the 70s were, I get a sense from media of the time that there was more of a willingness to use mass media as a way to reach or confront people than there has been since, where the most you get are two women kissing in the background of Avengers or something.

I’ve been following a really good youtube documentary series about Nickelodeon, and I’m floored by how much better the discourse about race was in the 70s vs the turn of the 90s when I was a kid. I legitimately cried at the end of this one about a show called Vegetable Soup with a clip of an old guy talking about getting put into an internment camp as a kid and explaining that we can’t let that happen again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRLfsIA5bI

I mean, the 90s weren’t squeamish about reality like the 50s were, but you wouldn’t see such frank race talk then either. Everything was sort of sanded down into something palatable to white moderates.

The retrospective series, Nick Knacks, is incredible, by the way. The person who does it was at one time a goon and may still be, if you recognize the name.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I'm currently going through all the Star Trek shows I haven't seen before and just moved on to Voyager. I sat through the first episode and was pretty surprised at Tom Paris, ostensibly one of the main protagonists and heroes of the show, telling the series' first Native American character (AFAIK) "If I save your butt, your life belongs to me. Isn't that some kind of Indian custom?" and "Isn't there some Indian trick where you can turn yourself into a bird and fly us out of here?" This stuff is especially weird since its...Star Trek, which is normally pretty progressive for its time.

This was back in '94, I feel like people knew better back then, but I'm curious what the general reaction to this was. If the weird, casual racism continues I might just skip this and go on to Enterprise or something. I did hear something about them using a native-american culture consultant who was a known fraud so maybe it just gets worse.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A general comment about Billy Crystal being the first gay character on US TV, and the first gay bloke on Number 96 in Aus etc.

It is interesting to me that back in the olden days of the 70s, that they chose to put gay men as the first representation of LGBTQ people. But nowadays, a lot of queer representation is done by having lesbians or bi women.

My extremely uninformed and half arse theory for this is that it is based on misogyny. Back in the 70s women, all women, existed to be pretty and sexually availlable for the audience of men. So to make a character a lesbian would have taken that away from her. Also, it is easier to make a gay man seem non threatening by making him seem weaker, and more effeminate than the "normal" men on the show.

This theory is very possibly wrong, and can be taken apart quite easily by people who know more about what they are talking than I do.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

CPColin posted:

If you're confused by that description, you won't be, after you watch an episode of Soap!

I just want you to know that I understood & appreciated this.

Here's some media that didn't age well: loving Ally McBeal. Goddamn is that show one of the most men-writing-women shows I've ever seen, just constantly infantilizing the women while also sexualizing them while also having them talk about how how they are.

There are many, many storylines about how hard it is to be a man, and about how women it's cool and good for women to be paid less and be promoted less in the workplace because babies.

Not to mention that there is a trans woman on the show who is described as an it by one of the main characters, while pretty much everyone else's reaction to the trans woman is that of revulsion.

I remember once reading that when showrunner David E. Kelly's collegiate daughter watched the show well after it aired, she was basically like "Dad we need to have a serious talk about the way you write women" and his response was "Nah, I write women well, you're wrong, there's no problems, the men are the butt of the jokes, see?"

Honestly there's a never-ending parade of bullshit in every episode of that show. gently caress Ally McBeal and gently caress David E. Kelly.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I'm currently going through all the Star Trek shows I haven't seen before and just moved on to Voyager. I sat through the first episode and was pretty surprised at Tom Paris, ostensibly one of the main protagonists and heroes of the show, telling the series' first Native American character (AFAIK) "If I save your butt, your life belongs to me. Isn't that some kind of Indian custom?" and "Isn't there some Indian trick where you can turn yourself into a bird and fly us out of here?" This stuff is especially weird since its...Star Trek, which is normally pretty progressive for its time.

This was back in '94, I feel like people knew better back then, but I'm curious what the general reaction to this was. If the weird, casual racism continues I might just skip this and go on to Enterprise or something. I did hear something about them using a native-american culture consultant who was a known fraud so maybe it just gets worse.

If I remember right, the consultant was the guy who played Chakotay.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Oh no, it was infinitely worse than that. It was Jamake Highwater, also known as Jackie Marks when he wasn't cosplaying as a Cherokee.

quote:

His fabrications were exposed in 1984 by activist Hank Adams (Sioux-Assiniboine) and reporter Jack Anderson in separate publications. Highwater had already received more than $800,000 in grants from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting from 1982 to 1983, based on his claims to be Native American.[1] Despite this documentation by Adams and Anderson, Highwater remained widely perceived as Native American. He continued to be called on to speak and participate as such in cultural activities, although he received no more federal grants on Native American topics.

quote:

In 1993 Highwater was a consultant on the TV series Star Trek: Voyager for the character Chakotay.
That's ten years after he'd been exposed as a fraud. They still hired him as an expert.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Johnny Depp played Tonto in The Lone Ranger using the excuse that he had a Cherokee grandmother in 2013. So not a huge surprise that they were still doing racist rear end stuff in the 90s.

The weird part of Lone Ranger was that they could have salvaged it by just saying that Tonto was an orphaned white kid taken in which would have fit in with his characterization of not fitting in with his tribe but no he totally had to really be a Native American.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Over in the PYF Unnerving Story thread, a goon has been posting their YouTube docuseries, and covered Jamake Highwater in a fairly comprehensive manner rather than the bits and pieces scattered around elsewhere:

The Golden Gael posted:

If folks are interested, I wrapped up my research into one Jamake Highwater - better known as the Star Trek Voyager consultant on Native American affairs - and it was pretty illuminating how this guy got away with playing his part for so long. Details and sources contradicted each other but thanks to a bit of detective work and a few phone calls I mustered up as many facts as I could to put this together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

TL;DW: it’s one of Rick Berman’s many, many fuckups.

Edit: to answer your question about whether or not it continues to be this offensive, the show’s treatment falls back from “this was blatantly racist even for 1995” to kind of the handwavey-mysticism generic “Native American” interpretation that, true to form for the thread, did not age well.

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Sep 7, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

Over in the PYF Unnerving Story thread, a goon has been posting their YouTube docuseries, and covered Jamake Highwater in a fairly comprehensive manner rather than the bits and pieces scattered around elsewhere:

TL;DW: it’s one of Rick Berman’s many, many fuckups.

In Rick Berman,s defense, he's directly responsible for Obama getting elected I think.

(the thing with Jeri Ryan and how her sex club reveals ended the chances of the republican candidate primed to win, her husband, who was going up against a neophyte Obama)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

pentyne posted:

In Rick Berman,s defense, he's directly responsible for Obama getting elected I think.

(the thing with Jeri Ryan and how her sex club reveals ended the chances of the republican candidate primed to win, her husband, who was going up against a neophyte Obama)

Somehow I knew that Brannon Braga had inexplicably convinced Jeri Ryan to date him following her divorce, but had missed this.

I’m not sure I can sanely reconcile Rick Berman and Brannon Braga’s role in Obama’s eventual presidency.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

BrigadierSensible posted:

A general comment about Billy Crystal being the first gay character on US TV, and the first gay bloke on Number 96 in Aus etc.

It is interesting to me that back in the olden days of the 70s, that they chose to put gay men as the first representation of LGBTQ people. But nowadays, a lot of queer representation is done by having lesbians or bi women.

My extremely uninformed and half arse theory for this is that it is based on misogyny. Back in the 70s women, all women, existed to be pretty and sexually availlable for the audience of men. So to make a character a lesbian would have taken that away from her. Also, it is easier to make a gay man seem non threatening by making him seem weaker, and more effeminate than the "normal" men on the show.

This theory is very possibly wrong, and can be taken apart quite easily by people who know more about what they are talking than I do.

Execs discovering that a lot of straight men LOVE conventionally attractive women being intimate with each other is an easier explanation. During the countercultural movements of the '60s and '70s gay men being gay representation makes sense because people only listened to men so gay men were front-and-center in the gay liberation movement. Making that toothless and something you could sell to straight men and then making it toothless and something you can sell to the newly discovered straight female demographic in the '90s is what capitalism does.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And once the gay men are toothless, it's time for a lemonparty

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Man, I had not revisited Ally McBeal in a while, but yeah, that tracks. What’s weird is Kelley writes a lot of frankly badass female characters, and yet seems terminally incapable of not loving up his shows with weird, gross poo poo. I remember really liking Camren Mannheim’s character on The Practice because she got to be a bitch on wheels while not having a twig body.

He’s also uncomfortably racist. Like, most of the scenes Lucy Liu was in were painful to watch even when when I was less savvy to that kind of bullshit.

Boston Legal had its moments. My parents used to get a kick out of the end of show quips on the balcony. I kind of want to rewatch some of that sometime and see where it falls apart and doesn’t live up to my memories.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I think the first episode of Enterprise has the captain and engineer making fun of the Vulcan first officer because she's vegetarian. It's really best just to accept that there hasn't been any Star Trek since DS9 and move happily on with your life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pentyne posted:

It would have been highly unlikely for Obama to lose that election to Jack Ryan, sex club or no sex club - the Republican incumbent barely won in 98 and that was the first Republican win in a generation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sunswipe posted:

I think the first episode of Enterprise has the captain and engineer making fun of the Vulcan first officer because she's vegetarian. It's really best just to accept that there hasn't been any Star Trek since DS9 and move happily on with your life.

I'd revise this to 'no Star Trek since 1999', largely because riiiiiight at the end of it (DS9 ended in June) you get Galaxy Quest, which is more of a Star Trek movie than several Star Trek movies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

My 2 big issues with Ally McBeal are:

1) They always win. Every episode was a boiler plate of Ally going "Beep boop I am feminist. Yet I am sexualized and bimbofied to the extreme. I will also use the most absurd, trendy, faddish, 'men doopdedoo but women blahdeblah' argument in my petty law case. An argument that would get laughed out of any normal court but here gets me treated like a genius. YAY! Lets go down to our bourgie wine bar and listen to Diana Krall play some middle of the road bullshit piano tune to celebrate."

and 2) Ally herself was such a horrible person. She was a joyless buzzkill. An obsessive stalker that followed an ex boyfriend across the country and was angry and resentful that he was in a loving marriage. Her entire personality was brittle, humourless, skeletally skinny and wears short skirts. Oh and always aggrieved about something.

This one is not solely the domain of Ally McBeal, but gently caress the dancing baby poo poo. The whole "I am a powerful career woman! Look at my suits and the meetings I am having with clients. Oh, but I am a woman, so I also crave a baby and it is the only thing that could ever fulfill me and make my like meaningful, because that is the sole reason for my gender's existence. What an existential conflict I am in. If only a man could help me!", was rife in the 90s, and it is sexist as gently caress.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The one line I still remember from Ally McBeal, because my gay best friend and I used it constantly in high school, was when Jane Krazinsky’s character says to Ally, “we hate her, don’t we?”

It’s really emblematic of the series as a whole. Just the cattiest bullshit.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was watching the original Twin Peaks and I don't know if the way David Lynch uses a man with dwarfism sits well with me. It's not explicitly demeaning, but it just seems like Lynch went "you know what would really make this scene even more otherworldly and unnerving? A dwarf, how abnormal."

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and I know it's positively respectful compared to other portrayals in media. Hell, Austin Powers came out ten years later and I absolutely don't think that the character of Mini-Me is anything but crass mockery of people with dwarfism.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

My 2 big issues with Ally McBeal are:

1) They always win. Every episode was a boiler plate of Ally going "Beep boop I am feminist. Yet I am sexualized and bimbofied to the extreme. I will also use the most absurd, trendy, faddish, 'men doopdedoo but women blahdeblah' argument in my petty law case. An argument that would get laughed out of any normal court but here gets me treated like a genius. YAY! Lets go down to our bourgie wine bar and listen to Diana Krall play some middle of the road bullshit piano tune to celebrate."

and 2) Ally herself was such a horrible person. She was a joyless buzzkill. An obsessive stalker that followed an ex boyfriend across the country and was angry and resentful that he was in a loving marriage. Her entire personality was brittle, humourless, skeletally skinny and wears short skirts. Oh and always aggrieved about something.

This one is not solely the domain of Ally McBeal, but gently caress the dancing baby poo poo. The whole "I am a powerful career woman! Look at my suits and the meetings I am having with clients. Oh, but I am a woman, so I also crave a baby and it is the only thing that could ever fulfill me and make my like meaningful, because that is the sole reason for my gender's existence. What an existential conflict I am in. If only a man could help me!", was rife in the 90s, and it is sexist as gently caress.

I've never seen an episode of Ally Mcbeal so whoever it's brought I only think of the Futurama parody, specifically Bender's made up theme song:
Single Female Lawyer, fighting for her client, wearing sexy mini skirts and being self reliant