Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The big one that sticks out now is Luke and Laura, the General Hospital storyline that really went mainstream and became a major influence on other soaps. Luke and Laura were a supercouple, a soap term about the two destined lovers who go through thick and thin. They weren't the first, but it's where the term became popular.

What makes the story really, really in hindsight is how it started. Luke raped Laura.

General Hospital later made him the ultimate good guy and it was seen then as an extremely romantic relationship. Both actors involved have addressed it since and both are very squicked out about it now.

I was with you until squicked, what does that mean? The luke/laura thing being a storyline for like 30+ years is pretty crazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was watching the original Twin Peaks and I don't know if the way David Lynch uses a man with dwarfism sits well with me. It's not explicitly demeaning, but it just seems like Lynch went "you know what would really make this scene even more otherworldly and unnerving? A dwarf, how abnormal."

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and I know it's positively respectful compared to other portrayals in media. Hell, Austin Powers came out ten years later and I absolutely don't think that the character of Mini-Me is anything but crass mockery of people with dwarfism.

Not sure if you were thinking of this scene from Living in Oblivion:

https://youtu.be/CVBclV5ps2U

(Oh cool, didn't realise that it was Peter Dinklage. I haven't seen it since it was released.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cleretic posted:

I'd revise this to 'no Star Trek since 1999', largely because riiiiiight at the end of it (DS9 ended in June) you get Galaxy Quest, which is more of a Star Trek movie than several Star Trek movies.

And starred Tim Allen, who has his own personal entry in this thread.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ilmucche posted:

I was with you until squicked, what does that mean? The luke/laura thing being a storyline for like 30+ years is pretty crazy to me.

Grossed out. Revolted.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was watching the original Twin Peaks and I don't know if the way David Lynch uses a man with dwarfism sits well with me. It's not explicitly demeaning, but it just seems like Lynch went "you know what would really make this scene even more otherworldly and unnerving? A dwarf, how abnormal."

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and I know it's positively respectful compared to other portrayals in media. Hell, Austin Powers came out ten years later and I absolutely don't think that the character of Mini-Me is anything but crass mockery of people with dwarfism.

The same actor plays Samson in Carnivale, a powerful and intelligent man whose dwarfism is so normalised that when some rear end in a top hat mentions it in season 2 I remember gasping out loud. How loving DARE he.

Also Ally McBeal sucks and the best magical lawyer show with musical numbers is Eli Stone.

e: Though on topic for this thread, the first episode involves a lady whose son was definitely made autistic by a vaccine. If it helps that never comes up again and said lady turns out long-term to be a huge rear end in a top hat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now picturing a Phoenix Wright TV show. There was already an anime.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That actor from Carnivale is a racist chud now, so that sucks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Boston Legal had its moments. My parents used to get a kick out of the end of show quips on the balcony. I kind of want to rewatch some of that sometime and see where it falls apart and doesn’t live up to my memories.

Yeah, Boston Legal is pretty :chloe: by now. A lot of things that were written as "Oh look at these two old sacks being horny all the time" are in fact actually more like "Look at these two senior partners committing severe workplace sexual harassment towards every single female colleague and client". Still has decent bits, but goddamn that is pervasive.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BrigadierSensible posted:

A general comment about Billy Crystal being the first gay character on US TV, and the first gay bloke on Number 96 in Aus etc.

It is interesting to me that back in the olden days of the 70s, that they chose to put gay men as the first representation of LGBTQ people. But nowadays, a lot of queer representation is done by having lesbians or bi women.

My extremely uninformed and half arse theory for this is that it is based on misogyny. Back in the 70s women, all women, existed to be pretty and sexually availlable for the audience of men. So to make a character a lesbian would have taken that away from her. Also, it is easier to make a gay man seem non threatening by making him seem weaker, and more effeminate than the "normal" men on the show.

This theory is very possibly wrong, and can be taken apart quite easily by people who know more about what they are talking than I do.

All in the Family would take on gay men and women. In the episode "Judging Books by Covers" Mike is visited by an old college buddy (played by the aforementioned Anthony "Luke" Geary). He's a photographer who's come to tell Mike and Gloria about his European trip. He's a bit effiminate and Archie lets his opinion be known as you would expect. The friend is a regular customer of a camera store run by Archie's friend, an ex-football player and "confirmed bachelor". You can probably figure out the twist.

In another episode, "Cousin Liz", Archie and Edith go to the funeral of Edith's cousin where they find out she was gay. Archie threatens to out her partner if she doesn't give her Liz' silver tea service. Although Edith doesn't fully understand the relationship between the two women, she allows the partner to keep the tea set.

Then there were the classic episodes featuring female impersonator Beverly La Salle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now picturing a Phoenix Wright TV show. There was already an anime.

Takeshi Miike made a live action movie it's appropriately absurd as the games.

Sunswipe posted:

I think the first episode of Enterprise has the captain and engineer making fun of the Vulcan first officer because she's vegetarian. It's really best just to accept that there hasn't been any Star Trek since DS9 and move happily on with your life.

Enterprise is underrated. The vegetarian/meat eater thing was basically a clumsy way to establish the animosity between Humans and Vulcans during the early years. Archer was resentful at the Vulcans holding his father's research into warp technology back, the vegetarianism was irrelevant.They really play up how much the Vulcans are hypocrical assholes during the course of that show.

Enterprise is far from perfect, but I don't remember anything as blatantly racist as Chakotay. I just finished Voyager and while I liked it more than I expected, it had the lowest lows of the franchise.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I was on board with Enterprise until they did Time War 9/11.

The Andorians were back, in pog form, but I had enough 9/11 on my plate at the time from actual 9/11.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Archer handled 9/11 better than Bush.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chakotay's actor iirc ended up hating the character and kept making absurd demands hoping they'd fire him.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

A general comment about Billy Crystal being the first gay character on US TV, and the first gay bloke on Number 96 in Aus etc.

It is interesting to me that back in the olden days of the 70s, that they chose to put gay men as the first representation of LGBTQ people. But nowadays, a lot of queer representation is done by having lesbians or bi women.

My extremely uninformed and half arse theory for this is that it is based on misogyny. Back in the 70s women, all women, existed to be pretty and sexually availlable for the audience of men. So to make a character a lesbian would have taken that away from her. Also, it is easier to make a gay man seem non threatening by making him seem weaker, and more effeminate than the "normal" men on the show.

This theory is very possibly wrong, and can be taken apart quite easily by people who know more about what they are talking than I do.

Part of the problem with gay characters was you couldn't show a lot of romance. So they'd be comic relief or maybe the funny one that the main female protagonist plays the straight man to (that reads weird, but you know what I mean). If it was a nighttime drama then all the characters are constantly hooking up, breaking up, and cheating on each other. For that to work with queer characters you'd need a lot more homosexuals so they just neutered the token gay, which limited their story lines to supporting roles. Fewer story lines, less 3-dimensional characters, more reliance on stereo-types, and gay men were easier to write.

Friends was kind of ahead of itself with Ross' ex-wife. It was played for laughs (haha, he's such a sad sack) but they couldn't make her stereo-typically gay because that wouldn't be as believable. So you ended up with a perfectly average looking lesbian couple on the most popular TV sitcom, which was different.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ravenkult posted:

That actor from Carnivale is a racist chud now, so that sucks.

Which one? Because Clancy Brown certainly isn't.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
As someone who did not Enterprise, what was their 9/11?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Toshimo posted:

The Vulcans let a space laser slice Florida in half iirc.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And if that wasn't enough, they had another 9/11 in Picard where robots carpet bombed Mars. And surprise! It was also a false flag by robot haters.

Everything from Enterprise onwards has an utter loathing for everything Trek stood for (though to be fair, Michael Chabon claims his original plan was to have the Federation turn isolationist due to lingering wounds from the Dominion War but CBS didn't want to alienate new viewers so they were forced to have Robot 9/11 be the impetus)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
was there anything other than 'an attack on earth' that makes y'all compare it to 9/11

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

flatluigi posted:

was there anything other than 'an attack on earth' that makes y'all compare it to 9/11

In Enterprise's case, they wrote it as a direct response to 9/11, as that was when the show was airing.

It should also be noted that Robert Orci, one of the producers/showrunners for Star Trek Discovery/Picard, and writer for Star Trek 2009 and into Darkness, is a 9/11 truther. So that bleeds into any reading of any NuTrek.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Boston Legal had its moments. My parents used to get a kick out of the end of show quips on the balcony. I kind of want to rewatch some of that sometime and see where it falls apart and doesn’t live up to my memories.

I actually rewatched this show last year. Some of it holds up well, some of it is extremely dated since it's directly related to the politics and culture of the mid 2000s, and some of it has become super cringeworthy. As someone mentioned, both Alan Shore and Denny Crane commit rampant sexual harrassment in the office, and Lori Colson not only gets quietly shuffled off by Shirley Schmidt when she reports Denny and won't back down and withdraw the complaint, but she's painted as being a "little bitch" (Shirley's words when Lori refuses to drop the complaint) for not wanting to let Denny off the hook simply because he's an old man who has always been that sexist and misogynistic. Denny never really quits the harassment stuff over the course of the show (he straight up grabs Claire Simms's rear end when she first comes into the Boston CP&S office and it's played for laughs), but Alan's harassment stuff seemed to get toned down a bit by the time the fourth season rolled around (though his assistant literally quitting her job because she felt harassed and reporting his antics to Shirley wasn't the catalyst for it).

The other thing that hasn't aged well is that Denny is supposed to be a ridiculous caricature of Bush-era conservatives, but now he's less of a caricature and more of an exact representation of what a member of Trump's base is. And Alan would probably seem like an AOC-esque radical progressive in today's political climate.

A lot of the quirky stuff that Jerry Espensen and Clarence Bell did was played for laughs, but they were main characters who had Asperger's and liked to crossdress, respectively, and they weren't ashamed that that was part of who they were, and I don't think there was much of that on TV at the time. Not sure how they both look in retrospect though, some of it might be cringeworthy to some people.

A lot of the super weird stuff that someone else mentioned seemed to inherently be part of a David E. Kelley show was tied to the fact that Denny and Alan were purposely doing weirder and weirder stuff as a way to distract Denny from the onset of his Alzheimer's. Some of the other weird stuff was tied to the case of the week and to the fact that by season 3, they decided to make every judge the firm interacted with in court be as wacky as possible. That type of weird and wacky stuff didn't sit as well with me on the rewatch.

Gordon Shumway has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Sep 7, 2020

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

Which one? Because Clancy Brown certainly isn't.

I believe he's referring to Michael J. Anderson, who played Samson. Last I heard of that guy, he was throwing weird and baseless accusations and insults at David Lynch and consequently got written out of the revival of Twin Peaks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ilmucche posted:

As someone else, commented, squicked is revolted.

Here's you another disgusting detail: Herb Alpert's Rise was played in flashbacks of the scene. The song became popular in part because of its use in that storyline.

Soap storylines lasting that long isn't common, nor is it rare. Stefano DiMera vs the Bradys was an off-and-on story for 35 years, until the death of Stefano's actor, Joseph Mascolo. Some of it's the nature of soaps being their own little world. Some of it being because soaps have really stalled. They've steadily lost ratings numbers since the mid-1990s. The four remaining daytime soaps have tried to innovate a bit and branch into other platforms, but the viewership isn't adapting with it. The fanbase is aging out of existence.

All four soaps are seemingly stable now, but could easily be dead within 5-10 years.

Soap actors have a bunch of lifers. Some have tried to get out of the industry and some prefer staying in it (the hours and pay are pretty good and soaps are, at present, pretty stable). Marlena's been on (off and on) for 40+ years and she's not even the active actor with the earliest appearance on Days of Our Lives. Nor is she in the top three. With so many lifers still out there, it's a blessing and crutch for the writers do the beats they've been doing for generations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Here's you another disgusting detail: Herb Alpert's Rise was played in flashbacks of the scene. The song became popular in part because of its use in that storyline.

Soap storylines lasting that long isn't common, nor is it rare. Stefano DiMera vs the Bradys was an off-and-on story for 35 years, until the death of Stefano's actor, Joseph Mascolo. Some of it's the nature of soaps being their own little world. Some of it being because soaps have really stalled. They've steadily lost ratings numbers since the mid-1990s. The four remaining daytime soaps have tried to innovate a bit and branch into other platforms, but the viewership isn't adapting with it. The fanbase is aging out of existence.

All four soaps are seemingly stable now, but could easily be dead within 5-10 years.

Soap actors have a bunch of lifers. Some have tried to get out of the industry and some prefer staying in it (the hours and pay are pretty good and soaps are, at present, pretty stable). Marlena's been on (off and on) for 40+ years and she's not even the active actor with the earliest appearance on Days of Our Lives. Nor is she in the top three. With so many lifers still out there, it's a blessing and crutch for the writers do the beats they've been doing for generations.

Soap operas are such a weird isolated world in TV. Like you can sometimes make it out, but most actors are forever pigeonholed in those roles. They'll leave one soap opera, but just end up on another one. Then they'll come back to the original soap.

There's a video floating around from Bold & Beautiful where they got around coronavirus social distancing by having their actors kiss mannequins. The actors start moving towards one another and then the camera shifts and it's just a guy smooching a fake head with a wig on it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Home and Away and Neighbours seem to be launchpads for Australian acting careers, on the other hand.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Home and Away and Neighbours seem to be launchpads for Australian acting careers, on the other hand.

Is that where the Hemsworths got started?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My mum was a huge soap fan so I watched a lot of one of them. I ended up getting interested in a watching a trainwreck kind of way. When a bunch got cancelled in the 2000s (I think things like passions and whatever) I was legit worried about where all the actors would go.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The four remaining daytime soaps have tried to innovate a bit and branch into other platforms, but the viewership isn't adapting with it. The fanbase is aging out of existence.

I'm trying to think of what four are left. Guiding Light, Days of Our Lives, The Bold and the Beautiful, and...?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vandar posted:

I'm trying to think of what four are left. Guiding Light, Days of Our Lives, The Bold and the Beautiful, and...?

General Hospital, I think?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As a Floridian I am now more interested in watching Enterprise than I was before.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

The Young and the Restless, my wife's poison of choice.

Ironically very few of the actors are now young, but they're still as restless as ever.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

As a Floridian I am now more interested in watching Enterprise than I was before.

it was honestly cathartic to watch florida get burned up like that... I think about those images a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92Ypi5_ixE

Looks like they hit Cuba too, so I guess Xindi attacks are a land of contrasts

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Young and the Restless, my wife's poison of choice.

Ironically very few of the actors are now young, but they're still as restless as ever.

The Bold and the Beautiful was the 90's house wife/granma's poison of choice in our woods, at least until we got our own "Home street" daily soap. I had to check out and yes, our channels still carry it.

The guy who played the original Ridge Forrester, Ronn Moss, was major news when he was here touring with his band.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Oh wow, Days is still on? That was my mom's show, and later my gay best friend from high school's.

I know absolutely nothing about it. The intro was pretty cool, tho.

What was that intentionally weird soap? Passions? Wonder if that's worth a revisit.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Oh wow, Days is still on? That was my mom's show, and later my gay best friend from high school's.

What was that intentionally weird soap? Passions? Wonder if that's worth a revisit.

I've been watching Dark Shadows and it's got some crazy poo poo in it. I haven't even gotten to the halfway point and there's been: murder, kidnapping, attempted patricide, an actual phoenix, ghosts, vampires, witches, Frankenstein monsters, and time travel.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Sep 7, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Passions was the weird one with the animated doll and magic and stuff

General hospital will never die

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I got hooked on General Hospital one Summer while staying at grandma's house when I was 10. The storyline was an evil villain who froze people. It was bananas.

Soap operas switch things up in the Summer to attract a difference audience. Lot more teenage romance or evil villains threatening to freeze that hospital which specializes in general medicine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
peepee doodoo what if the federation sucked and all the good things that you hoped for in the future were crap poo poo garbage you piece of poo poo

enjoy Star tRek *middle finger*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know if it’s aged well or not, but Captain Kirk sure loves causing the collapse of civilizations that offend his sensibilities and then giving a little chuckle while he tells the survivors that they’ll find the challenge of rebuilding society invigorating or that they will at least have the dignity of making their own choices as they toil to bring the first feeble crops out of the ruins of the supercomputer complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know if it’s aged well or not, but Captain Kirk sure loves causing the collapse of civilizations that offend his sensibilities and then giving a little chuckle while he tells the survivors that they’ll find the challenge of rebuilding society invigorating or that they will at least have the dignity of making their own choices as they toil to bring the first feeble crops out of the ruins of the supercomputer complex.

The only eps like that that I recall off the top of my head were A Taste Of Armageddon and Spock’s Brain. The first one aged like fine wine since the message was “Drone warfare and automated weapons will detach people from war so much that killing becomes super easy. Let’s not do that”. The second one... is Spock’s Brain.

You want to talk about Trek TOS that didn’t age well? Turnabout Intruder, ooh boy.