Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

I'm not very hopeful because if ever there was a time to no deal brexit it's with the economy ruined from covid

They want No Deal Brexit, man

Next year is going to be carnage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm aware of that but Boris is narcissistic as gently caress and people will hate him for it as well as he's a lazy oval office.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

I'm aware of that but Boris is narcissistic as gently caress and people will hate him for it as well as he's a lazy oval office.

There's all those rumours that he's going to quit soon because his health is covid-hosed, aren't there? I can totally see him No-Dealing it, retiring, loving off to write in The Spectator or wherever and bathe in money and coke and hitting his girlfriends

Like, he is narcissistic as gently caress but it also doesn't seem like he's enjoying the job very much rn

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
When I decided to gently caress up my life with chronic underachieving I didn't think I was going to live in a failed state. I have some regrets.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jose posted:

Yeah, but he (and the other No Dealers) will personally profit off of a No Deal, so why wouldn't they careen the train into a ravine?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Horseshoe theory posted:

Yeah, but he (and the other No Dealers) will personally profit off of a No Deal, so why wouldn't they careen the train into a ravine?

Yup. Can't profit off disaster capitalism without disaster.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Even if we assume Boris’ narcissism outweighs his laziness and greed, he’d still have to be convinced that No Deal would be a disaster and that the media would hold him accountable. I wouldn’t bank on any one of those, let alone all three.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Europe will blamed for No-Deal and Boris will be said to have been more than reasonable to those forin hordes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
he might do that very optimistic thing if he, at the end, had to make an actual deliberate choice between deal or no deal.

he doesn't, because no deal is the default. the media will blame any effects on jeremy corbyn's antisemitism.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

An insane mind posted:

Europe will blamed for No-Deal and Boris will be said to have been more than reasonable to those forin hordes.

No, Corbyn will be blamed

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tulip posted:

No, Corbyn will be blamed

Yeah, which is hilarious because Corbyn basically did exactly as the Remoaners asked each time on Brexit except for the 2017 GE where he nearly became PM.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Boris will crash us out of the EU into food shortages in the middle of a plague and the press won't even stop having sex with him

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just a reminder that this entire dog and pony show is because Jo Swinson forced an early general election because apparently staying in the EU, her parties entire raison d'être, was less important than making sure Corbyn didn't get into Number 10.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dravs posted:

Just a reminder that this entire dog and pony show is because Jo Swinson forced an early general election because apparently staying in the EU, her parties entire raison d'être, was less important than making sure Corbyn didn't get into Number 10.

To add to this we could've had Mays deal +customs union if not for chuk and the lib Dems voting it down

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1303311625643008000?s=19

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
lol, it took me a while to parse that properly. I just assumed it was the opposition claiming the government was doing something illegal which they would refute. No, it's actually the government themselves just saying "yes, we are going to break international law, we do not care".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Britain pariah state speed-run.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Samovar posted:

Britain pariah state speed-run.
our words are backed by nuclear weapons

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's pretty funny to watch us doing mad dog foreign policy but with the aim of blowing our own head off so the vultures can feast on the carcass

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's pretty funny to watch us doing mad dog foreign policy but with the aim of blowing our own head off so the vultures can feast on the carcass

Cordyceps Country

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/NonInscrits/status/1302727435830661125

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/Amdahl4evr/status/1303299437389848579

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

namesake posted:

Yeah, which is hilarious because Corbyn basically did exactly as the Remoaners asked each time on Brexit except for the 2017 GE where he nearly became PM.

Now that Corbyn is gone, all of Labour are leavers now
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1303452631529123842?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think after the last election fighting to remain is futile, or worse. Better to try and make the best of a bad situation.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Here's hoping

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

lmfao i couldnt hear the end of it from my liberal circle on corbyns cowardly stance and now all that poo poo goes straight out the window, as i immediately predicted when corbyn resigned. Because lab-right liberals truly are amoral, depraved freaks with no ethics or values

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

therattle posted:

I think after the last election fighting to remain is futile, or worse. Better to try and make the best of a bad situation.

this is true, but this was the case from 2016 when 2nd ref was immediately tainted by remainers wanting an excuse to remain

corbyn was right to be euroskeptic all along, the guy who's now given up used to push remain *hard* as a matter of principle. it's the only reasonable strategy, but imo corbynites have a right to be galled that their guy was pushed into a position by this guy who then abandons it himself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Who knew telling everyone you plan to break international laws would have consequences

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1303784063933788160?s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

this is true, but this was the case from 2016 when 2nd ref was immediately tainted by remainers wanting an excuse to remain

corbyn was right to be euroskeptic all along, the guy who's now given up used to push remain *hard* as a matter of principle. it's the only reasonable strategy, but imo corbynites have a right to be galled that their guy was pushed into a position by this guy who then abandons it himself

Fair enough. Although there’s a difference between before and after an election when it’s become very clear what voters want. TBH I don’t know how clear that was before the election.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah I think a majority of 80 in favour of leaving kind of put paid to that

Especially when the Lib Dems and CUKTIGs barely made a dent

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A cynic might think they forced Corbyn down that hole on purpose, given how quickly their death before surrender attitude on remaining disappeared as soon as Corbyn left office

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

multijoe posted:

A cynic might think they forced Corbyn down that hole on purpose, given how quickly their death before surrender attitude on remaining disappeared as soon as Corbyn left office
The election result forced it but yes, to a degree. What do you think of this analysis? It seems reasonable.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/10/brexit-back-labour-dilemma-keir-starmer?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

He makes the good point that most members were remainers and JC had promised to listen to them, so it wasn’t all high-level pressure from Remain.

therattle has issued a correction as of 12:17 on Sep 10, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

therattle posted:

The election result forced it but yes, to a degree. What do you think of this analysis? It seems reasonable.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/10/brexit-back-labour-dilemma-keir-starmer?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

He makes the good point that most members were remainers and JC had promised to listen to them, so it wasn’t all high-level pressure from Remain.

oh yeah, corbyn couldn't resist the pressure without youth support collapsing to the lib dems - but these things really do feed into each other. had labour been united on a 'brexit is definitely happening' line from 2017, a lot of the internal unrest might've been avoided, but the labour right saw it as a stick to beat the leadership with (which it was, very effectively) and kept pushing the matter until it ended in disaster

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the point being, if one assumes that the people on the top weren't serious about brexit as a matter of principle (fair, since they've abandoned the issue without hesitation), then it becomes very tempting to interpret their hard line on the issue as wrecking behaviour, especially in light of the consistent outright sabotage corbyn's leadership faced from that wing of the party on other occasions

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

the point being, if one assumes that the people on the top weren't serious about brexit as a matter of principle (fair, since they've abandoned the issue without hesitation), then it becomes very tempting to interpret their hard line on the issue as wrecking behaviour, especially in light of the consistent outright sabotage corbyn's leadership faced from that wing of the party on other occasions

I understand. I think it’s a bit more nuanced than that: principle and opportunism coinciding. Regardless of principle I think after the election the second referendum and remain had to be abandoned. Totally agree with your point in previous post.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

oh yeah, corbyn couldn't resist the pressure without youth support collapsing to the lib dems - but these things really do feed into each other. had labour been united on a 'brexit is definitely happening' line from 2017, a lot of the internal unrest might've been avoided, but the labour right saw it as a stick to beat the leadership with (which it was, very effectively) and kept pushing the matter until it ended in disaster

Yeah this is long and the short of it, they prioritised destroying Corbyn by any means available over any coherent resolution to Brexit, which ended up with the Remain headbangers leading us over a cliff before quietly folding and moving to the exact position they'd been calling treachery after the Corbyn problem had been resolved

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

therattle posted:

I understand. I think it’s a bit more nuanced than that: principle and opportunism coinciding. Regardless of principle I think after the election the second referendum and remain had to be abandoned. Totally agree with your point in previous post.

FWIW we're not saying all Remainers are responsible for this, lots of people approached it in good faith and its an understandable reaction to the situation, but the centrist politicians and astroturfed pressure groups knew exactly what they were doing

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Starmer was the guy who wrote the Brexit policy that sunk Corbyn, forgive us for being sceptical of his intentions with that when he fully dumps it the second it's convenient

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't think it's really fair to say that Starmer dumped Remain when it was convenient - the election shifted things decisively, and remain was simply untenable after it (which coincided, of course, with Corbyn's departure). I also don't believe that there were any (or very many) remainers who took that position simply to pressure Corbyn. They may have absolutely used it to pressure him, but they could be good-faith remainers AND use it against him if convenient. (Just like I believe that antisemitism was weaponised against Corbyn and Labour, and that it was/is a real problem - I know that's not the party line in these parts).

Corbyn could have used his political capital after 2017 to stake a firm soft leave position, but for whatever reason he did not. I ascribe it in part to weak leadership, others will characterise it more as a willingness to satisfy disparate elements, and there was also pressure from the membership towards remain (plus a number of other factors). Had he catered to the leave faction he would have been accused of selling out the membership. He was in a very difficult position. Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The whole "switching to remain sunk Labour" thing is really revisionist, the 2019 locals and euros were really bad for Labour and the continued soft brexit stance was incredibly unpopular

Its quite likely that in the circumstances there wasn't a good answer and sticking with brexit would have just meant losing Putney, Canterbury, Plymouth etc. while alienating the membership