Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m here to say that I’ve made the last couple gumbos by making the roux, putting vegetables in it, then whisking the roux into boiling stock a spoonful at a time (instead of ladling hot stock into the roux) and I gotta say...I’m a fan.

I think I’m a convert to the Prudhomme method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I made this and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Now I need to try making it from scratch

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

I made this and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Now I need to try making it from scratch

It's pretty easy!

The recipe in the OP is fairly standard and its forgiving of lots of modifications / replacement. Biggest thing I suggest to make it really great is to use stock made from scratch. This is not at all mandatory but its a definite improvement if you have it. Don't feel the need to get just the right sausage or other meat etc. it works great with lots of different stuff.

The two biggest issues with making jambalaya are either to burn it too much on the bottom or to have too much liquid and the pot ends up with too mushy rice. Either way they are both still edible and really tasty, but not as good as it can be. Generally it takes 1-2 attempts to figure out what works for your setup with respect to type of rice, the stovetop and pot you are using etc. I've been making it 20 years and if I had to make it in a new kitchen with different pots etc its definitely likely it might not turn out perfect so don't get discouraged. It will still be tasty even with a less than ideal batch.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m trying to eat less meat. Any ideas for meatless jambalaya or gumbo? I feel like so much of the flavor in jambalaya is from the sausage. I’m not too hardcore-chicken broth etc. is fine, just trying to see if it can be done with less/no meat.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Meatless gumbo: gumbo z'herbes if you're trying to stay "authentic"

You could make a bean soup following gumbo technique and it would probably be pretty good! Imitation andouille is a thing (Google says Tofurkey makes some and there are seitan versions apparently) but I have never tried it and cannot vouch.

As for jambalaya, kind of depends on how you want to adhere to the spirit of "less meat." If meat substitutes are fine, see above. If not, you're basically making what I would call Spanish Rice (but I am not the jambalaya police!).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m trying to eat less meat. Any ideas for meatless jambalaya or gumbo? I feel like so much of the flavor in jambalaya is from the sausage. I’m not too hardcore-chicken broth etc. is fine, just trying to see if it can be done with less/no meat.

It's not really jambalaya but ticks a lot of the same boxes for me, basically it's a modified version of Arroz con Gandules (rice and pigeon peas).

I still use chicken stock but you could easily use vegetable.

Rough version of the recipe:

2 cups rice
1/2 cup chopped olives (or more, especially if its a mild olive like castelvetranos)
1 cup (or small can) of pigeon peas or regular peas, chickpeas, small beans, go nuts but they must be cooked / drained prior.
1/2 stick butter
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 large onions, chopped
2 tbls tomato paste
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cup homemade stock
cilantro
parsley
salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin
peanut oil (or other)

In a heavy pot with lid melt butter into oil on medium-high heat.

Sautee onions along with the jalapeno until wilted and starting to carmelize (add a splash of fish sauce up front if you like). When onions are near done and start to produce a fond add in ~1.5 tbls paprika, 2-3 tsp ground cumin, chopped garlic, bay leaf, black pepper, tomato paste and stir until fragrant. Feel free to toss in a splash of white wine to deglaze if it gets too hot.

Toss in the rice and stir in until it gets covered with oil and toasts a bit. Once rice is toasted throw in stock, olives , peas/beans and stir, turn heat to low, let liquid come up to bubbling and make sure nothing get stuck to the bottom. Cover and put to lowest heat and let simmer for 15-20 mins.

Add in parsley and cilantro and toss / fluff up the rice and serve.

To me this works great with the olives and peas or beans and is pretty great. It should be a tiny bit on the oily side.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Gumbo is still great without meat if you’re ok using stocks.

Are you against eating insects? If not then just eat seafood gumbo, shrimp and crab are basically sea bugs. Problem solved.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

there's a place here that does vegetarian jambalaya with red beans, smoked pecans and tofu that's really good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cross-posting from the Star Trek thread:

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, this is a terrible book of recipes I just bought for 20p. :neelix:

The_Doctor posted:

They have the somewhat flimsy excuse it’s Neelix writing these recipes, and a creole jambalaya would contain tomatoes unlike a cajun one, but the rest of it is utter rubbish.

BAKED?! :gowron: :wtc:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Finishing jambalaya in the oven is pretty normal, the even heat means it cooks the rice faster and doesn't scorch the bottom.

But that's for the normal way to cook jambalaya where you put dry rice into the pot uncooked.

I mean the rest of that is all hosed up in so many ways, including overcooking the gently caress out of seafood (broil cod and then boil it with shrimp?) and turning jambalaya into some sort of unholy seafood soup. But the baked part is the least weird. I can even see that as being good to brown the rice a bit and add some flavor to that weak-rear end vegetarian version.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Agreed. The recipe is hosed but I usually do my jambalaya in the oven for the last 30-40 mins after everythings combined and the liquid is in. Just makes a little less burnt stuff on the bottom is all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I sometimes like to put little red potatoes in mine, so I'm not one to talk, but there's certain experiments you just don't do. Cod?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm not sure I've ever had fish of any sort in jambalaya. Shellfish (ok crustaceans), sure, but is like redfish jambalaya a thing?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm not sure I've ever had fish of any sort in jambalaya. Shellfish (ok crustaceans), sure, but is like redfish jambalaya a thing?

yeah i've never had it in jambalaya, just alongside or on top of it.

it seems like one of those common-sense things, if you have a nice piece of fish why would you overcook it like that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seafood paella with mackerel is a thing in spain. So you could. Dunno how often it was done historically, seems more likely in a creole jambalaya.

You want a fish with stronger flavor that holds up to the rest of the jambalaya, so probably not redfish. I don't know which gulf fish would be best for that.

eke out posted:

yeah i've never had it in jambalaya, just alongside or on top of it.

it seems like one of those common-sense things, if you have a nice piece of fish why would you overcook it like that

The recipes for spanish mackerel paella are often using smoked fish, so you flake it in at the very end.

As for why the star trek cookbook is doing awful such things to innocent fish, I can only assume that the authors are from the midwest.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Klyith posted:

You want a fish with stronger flavor that holds up to the rest of the jambalaya, so probably not redfish. I don't know which gulf fish would be best for that.

The recipes for spanish mackerel paella are often using smoked fish, so you flake it in at the very end.

speaking of things you can put in paella, i bet salt cod would work great

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Klyith posted:

Seafood paella with mackerel is a thing in spain. So you could. Dunno how often it was done historically, seems more likely in a creole jambalaya.

Yeah I am much more familiar with the Creole variety from growing up in the NO metro, but I learned about Cajun jambalaya with roux in this very thread, so I clearly don't know everything :v:

Klyith posted:

Amberjack or kingfish maybe? Idk, not gonna overthink Star Trek jambalaya

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Klyith posted:

As for why the star trek cookbook is doing awful such things to innocent fish, I can only assume that the authors are from the midwest.

As a midwesterner, even we aren't that bad. Whoever wrote that recipe hates fish but felt the need to include it for some reason.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'll be honest, the pickling spices were the first hint of a food horror and I never even made it down to seeing the cod. Love me some cloves and dill in my jambalaya

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Klyith posted:

Uh I think you’ll find Neelix is from the Delta Quadrant 🤓

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah I am much more familiar with the Creole variety from growing up in the NO metro, but I learned about Cajun jambalaya with roux in this very thread, so I clearly don't know everything :v:

Amberjack or kingfish maybe? Idk, not gonna overthink Star Trek jambalaya

Choupic too. Now I want amberjack, drat.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
i've got a few bone in pork chops, any ideas?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drgitlin posted:

Uh I think you’ll find Neelix is from the Delta Quadrant 🤓

The flyover quadrant.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

As a midwesterner, even we aren't that bad. Whoever wrote that recipe hates fish but felt the need to include it for some reason.

The author appears to be from Pennsylvania. The actor is from Long Island.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

i've got a few bone in pork chops, any ideas?

How thick are they? Thick enough to stuff?

If not then deep fry them and eat them on a sandwich.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How thick are they? Thick enough to stuff?

If not then deep fry them and eat them on a sandwich.

gently caress. :stare:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If they're not thick enough to stuff you can smother them.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Anyone happy?

e: in regards to local political matters

Mushika fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 6, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's a general Louisiana thread, but yes, cautiously optimistic. Shame nothing in Louisiana changed. My BR friend didn't even make it onto the Metro Council.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Very lazy instant pot chicken and sausage gumbo. Jarred roux, frozen okra, canned tomatoes-if only someone made frozen trinity. Very good for my first attempt at gumbo in a decade though!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

-if only someone made frozen trinity.

They do! They usually call it "Seasoning Blend" but I have several bags of it in my freezer. Straight from the frozen vegetables section!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

The produce stand down the street from me sells straight up frozen trinity. It's pretty dang convenient.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Very lazy instant pot chicken and sausage gumbo. Jarred roux, frozen okra, canned tomatoes-if only someone made frozen trinity. Very good for my first attempt at gumbo in a decade though!

looks legit!

I have seen frozen diced pepper and onion in my stores freezer section so you're most of the way there if yours has that. I've used it for gumbo once upon a time and it was fine.

Broke down a turkey and parted it out, salted overnight, parts in the smoker, roasted the carcass and tossed it and onion, celery, garlic and carrot into the pot. Cooking that all day on the wood stove. Tonight will put back some of the smoked turkey and some sausage into this for the 1st turkey gumbo of the year.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Every thanksgiving it's become a tradition that my mom makes a turkey, the whole family demolishes it over the next 3 days, and then we do a big gumbo. This year I've got no turkey, no visit to mom, and no family to eat with.

But I'm still having my gumbo god drat it!

I've been saving up shrimp stock in the freezer from the last several times I did shrimp things. When you don't have shrimp heads you can only make like a cup of shrimp stock at a time, so you gotta prepare ahead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dang that looks great. Happy thanksgiving y’all!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

EFB: Dude, they make trinity in plastic containers and if you look hard enough you'll find it in the freezer section of your local Wal-Mart too.

I have always been of the opinion that tomatoes in gumbo is a sign of the apocalypse, but my wife disagrees and she makes the post-Thanksgiving turkey gumbo, so I'm ok with it now

I have made many, many rouxs over the years and the jarred stuff is pretty good. The real key is the broth/stock. If you spend a couple of hours the night before you cook the gumbo making a decent stock, your gumbo stands a chance of being great as long as you don't gently caress up the roux.

That Works posted:

I have seen frozen diced pepper and onion in my stores freezer section so you're most of the way there if yours has that. I've used it for gumbo once upon a time and it was fine.

Broke down a turkey and parted it out, salted overnight, parts in the smoker, roasted the carcass and tossed it and onion, celery, garlic and carrot into the pot. Cooking that all day on the wood stove. Tonight will put back some of the smoked turkey and some sausage into this for the 1st turkey gumbo of the year.

Sweet.

rojay fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 30, 2020

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Klyith posted:

Every thanksgiving it's become a tradition that my mom makes a turkey, the whole family demolishes it over the next 3 days, and then we do a big gumbo. This year I've got no turkey, no visit to mom, and no family to eat with.

But I'm still having my gumbo god drat it!

I've been saving up shrimp stock in the freezer from the last several times I did shrimp things. When you don't have shrimp heads you can only make like a cup of shrimp stock at a time, so you gotta prepare ahead.

That top picture makes it look like red beans and rice. Looks quite good, even if adding tomatoes does mean you will not be allowed into heaven.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I made 4 quarts of stock with the fried turkey bones, looking forward to making some gumbo with it...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

really queer Christmas posted:

That top picture makes it look like red beans and rice. Looks quite good, even if adding tomatoes does mean you will not be allowed into heaven.

The red bits are red pepper. I did add a small glob of tomato paste, but I think the color of the picture is my phone punching it up rather than actually looking that red. It did turn out thick as hell tho, I probably could have opened another container of stock to get the consistency more soup-like. But what the heck. I like thick.

I'm not one to say, but I believe tomato would be traditionally accepted for a seafood gumbo with okra? In which case I have a bastard half-breed gumbo since I have okra in my roux-based gumbo.

And then I put filé on while serving, because I like the taste of filé. So does okra, roux, and filé make me a heretic? Or just a weirdo who eats gumbo you can cut with a knife?

The ham I definitely admit is more red beans and rice-y, but with no bird carcass I was kinda just grabbing whatever felt good. I'll do red beans and rice (didn't miss her) with the rest of the ham, that's one of my staples in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not sure if I ever got tomatoes in a gumbo from a restaurant but I've definitely had more than one Louisiana shrimpers wives prepare it that way for me as a kid. I used to use it in mine and leave it out these days though.

I don't mix file with okra in my gumbo but I also like my gumbo a little thicker than others do as well so if you think it tastes good, gently caress it, do it up.

Nothing wrong with ham in gumbo imo. I've seen / made gumbo that had like 4 diff kinds of leftover meat in it from random things.