Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dead malls freak me out a good deal so I am sold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My son has been replaying Sunshine for the past couple of weeks via my Wii, and I've been helping him out. My issues with the game are mainly the camera mixed with movement controls, and the hotel level (in general).

Controls plus the camera behaviour is mostly fine but when you're trying to get up the back wall in Pinna Park to stop the ferris wheel, holy gently caress is that annoying to just suddenly not be able to see where you're about to land, or misjudge a jump because the camera spun around the wrong way after you moved it to where you wanted it. Both of these issues are usually non-existent, but when they show up, they really show up.

That hotel level sucks. The game was not meant to be played as a closed-quartered, vent-crawling collectathon.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkMt0VWPOS0

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The polterkitty fights are trash.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

nintendos health is tied to how horny i am

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I may be too late but if you have any interest in game history and seeing how game's develop play Metroid and continue chronologically.. With the rewind on the NESflix, it's really not so bad and you can enjoy it far far more. It's genuinely fine and excellent for it's time. If you start with Super you'll never be able to go back since the game's really aren't that good and the QOL in the newer games will leave you dissastified.

It's how I did it when I played them earlier this year. My past Metroid history had been Fusion and Prime and I was delighted to play the NES, GB, SNES games in that order.

Did you draw or consult a map? I honestly really like Metroid 1 (and my current play-through of Metroid 2 is giving me a newfound appreciation for that game too), but I think the biggest sticking point is the lack of a map in Metroid 1. It's just so easy to get lost, or to forget which similar-looking corridor you wanted to revisit, or to miss a secret passageway that you need to find. If nothing else, I guess I'd recommend that people play the beginning, to see the roots of Metroid, but feel free to stop playing when you want.

Beating Metroid 1 as a kid was definitely a memorable experience for me. The game world feels decidedly hostile and alien, a feeling which might be heightened by the lack of quality-of-life features. You're exploring that planet on your own, and nobody is going to help you. But that's a double-edged sword; as an adult with less free time, it's difficult to go back to.

As a final note about Metroid, I found the music really effective in places. Just really good stuff.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml0_yM9XvtA

remastered fmvs too in sunshine and galaxy along with 64 texture upgrades and better filtering. however, the underwater section in 64 looks ...less murky, losing a bit of its atmosphere imo. probably a result of the resolution and no n64 to cover stuff, like the 3ds zelda remakes losing their atmosphere in the dungeons because they cleaned up the unintentional n64 murk.

there was a thing going round that sunshines fmvs were just stretched out into widescreen and its clearly not the case.

so yeah, they did actually do stuff to remaster the game, thus making it a proper, real, good remaster and preserving everything that made the games (2 of them) great without comprising on un-needed glossy remaking bullshit. everyone is spoiled by the past few years of unnecessary remakes on other consoles.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 7, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DorianGravy posted:

Beating Metroid 1 as a kid was definitely a memorable experience for me. The game world feels decidedly hostile and alien, a feeling which might be heightened by the lack of quality-of-life features. You're exploring that planet on your own, and nobody is going to help you. But that's a double-edged sword; as an adult with less free time, it's difficult to go back to.

After beating Mother Brain the race to climb out of the tunnel before the base self destructed filled me with such panic that I had to pause it and come back to it ten minutes later

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It was a typo, it's actually Bowser's Furi.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

Did you draw or consult a map? I honestly really like Metroid 1 (and my current play-through of Metroid 2 is giving me a newfound appreciation for that game too), but I think the biggest sticking point is the lack of a map in Metroid 1. It's just so easy to get lost, or to forget which similar-looking corridor you wanted to revisit, or to miss a secret passageway that you need to find. If nothing else, I guess I'd recommend that people play the beginning, to see the roots of Metroid, but feel free to stop playing when you want.

As a final note about Metroid, I found the music really effective in places. Just really good stuff.

I didn't make a map. The first time I began to play it I just charged into and I loved the dead-ends and the labyrnthine tunnels that were endlessly the same. It felt like a horrible claustrophobic maze. Then I stopped playing it for whatever reason after a couple of weeks, and the map that had been forming in my mind obviously disappeared. When I restarted I would go down paths, but if they turned out to be dead-ends I would rewind back to the original crossroads and head off from there. It made traversing the map much simpler and after a while I had a streamlined version in mind that let me traverse it pretty easily. Getting the screw attack makes traversing the tunnels FAR FAR less dangerous so that helped too. It's a very enjoyable game and memorable experience. Like Super Metroid is terrific, but it wouldn't have been made if Metroid didn't just work.

It's what I love about classics: games, movies, books. When you finally get into them you get why they have such appeal and it's almost revelatory nevertheless.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Streets of Rage 4 just got a big balance patch. Axel and Cherry are now muuuuch better characters.

https://www.dotemu.com/streets-of-rage-4-new-balancing-patch-now-available/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I am quite interested in how SM64's camera will be translated/updated/remastered. Has anything been said about it? Or will it just be what I'm expecting which is that the right thumbstick will map to the C-buttons, and nothing will have been improved?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There will be a new co-op mode where player 2 is Lakitu.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mega64 posted:

It was a typo, it's actually Bowser's Furi.

I'd play it, I love Carpenter Brut.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I am quite interested in how SM64's camera will be translated/updated/remastered. Has anything been said about it? Or will it just be what I'm expecting which is that the right thumbstick will map to the C-buttons, and nothing will have been improved?

no need to improve perfection. the right thumbstick will no doubt be the c-buttons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vikar Jerome posted:

no need to improve perfection. the right thumbstick will no doubt be the c-buttons.

That's pretty drat far from perfection

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

You are a broken goon and should seek council

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You will control the camera by using the right JoyCon to move the gyro.

To switch between Lakitu and Mario cam you waggle the JoyCon.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

super mario 64's camera is good, actually. it never gets in the way and functions extremely well with the game and its mechanics, when you remember its a button to change a pov and dont use your 20+ years of second stick camera muscle memory to control it. its better than sunshines camera too. only other 3d mario camera that comes close is odyssey.

there, i said it. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

You will control the camera by using the right JoyCon to move the gyro.

did they add a gyro assembly minigame or something where you play as luigi in toad's taco truck that's been repurposed as a greek food truck

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To be fair to Nintendo, Super Mario All Stars 3D isn't the first game to be released for only a limited timeframe. Just look at Battleborn and Lawbreakers.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

To be fair to Nintendo, Super Mario All Stars 3D isn't the first game to be released for only a limited timeframe. Just look at Battleborn and Lawbreakers.

How do I report a murder? Mods???

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mega64 posted:

There will be a new co-op mode where player 2 is Lakitu.
Congratulations, you've just created a license to print money for Arin Hansen and Dan Adavian.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 7, 2020

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

super mario 64's camera is good, actually. it never gets in the way and functions extremely well with the game and its mechanics, when you remember its a button to change a pov and dont use your 20+ years of second stick camera muscle memory to control it. its better than sunshines camera too. only other 3d mario camera that comes close is odyssey.

Agreed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We don't know yet. Nintendo has seemed to improved some various small things from little things we've seen. I don't think they be completely barebones upscaled ports like people think.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Hellworld option: C-buttons mapped directly to the ABXY buttons, press up on the stick to jump and shake the entire console to melee.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jackhunter64 posted:

Hellworld option: C-buttons mapped directly to the ABXY buttons, press up on the stick to jump and shake the entire console to melee.

If people can beat games on DDR pads, we hardcore gamers can handle whatever this is.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Actually now that there's the PC source code port I'm hoping some enterprising modder is already hard at work on 'QWOPer Mario 64'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

Actually now that there's the PC source code port I'm hoping some enterprising modder is already hard at work on 'QWOPer Mario 64'.

Put the guy in yellow and purple overalls, and you've got Qwaaaaaahp.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vikar Jerome posted:

:yeah:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

If people can beat games on DDR pads, we hardcore gamers can handle whatever this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SzD22N3kpY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Katamari is on sale for 2/3 off, $10

How is it?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

Streets of Rage 4 just got a big balance patch. Axel and Cherry are now muuuuch better characters.

https://www.dotemu.com/streets-of-rage-4-new-balancing-patch-now-available/

That list of changes is huge! Axel feels completely different now.

The most important update is:
Nerfed Galsia weapon hitbox

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steve Yun posted:

How is it?

Absolutely wonderful. A must if you've never played it. It's a remake of the first game that's still the best in the series.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

How is it?

If you’ve never played it you owe it to yourself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Steve Yun posted:

How is it?

Katamari Damacy is an unmatched delight, crank the volume and roll up some cats.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

How is it?

i need you to feel me. i want to roll you up into my life. let's roll up to make...

*claps hand on your shoulder, deathly serious*

a single star in the sky

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to yoouuu-ouu-ouuuuu

YES, TO YOOOOUUUUUUUU

(da-ba, da-ba!
da-da da da da-da-da
da-ba, da-ba!)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

How is it?
It's a direct port of the PSX game from 30 years ago so it's a bit rough around the edges, but it's an absolute treat if you've never played any of the games. Definitely worth $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If they port we <3 katamari that’s an instabuy but the original is only worth it at the sale price these days