Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

I can only remember that Bart and Homer were tethered together, day after day, and when Marge finally cut the tether it somehow, stupidly, had a camera IN the tether, and they could see the judge, and she could see them, and it had a speaker.

So. drat. Stupid.

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about that until you said it. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about that until you said it. :doh:

:same: :smith:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Imagined posted:

Why does he have a big American flag... on the ceiling?

Americaboo

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20NKzdlHyxc

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

This joke is the last time I remember The Simpsons making me laugh the way a golden age episode did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_yaGDrNESk&t=11s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Plan Z posted:

This joke is the last time I remember The Simpsons making me laugh the way a golden age episode did:

Same. That one was pretty good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the low 10s seasons had the odd solid gag, but none hit the heights or layers that the classic seasons did.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Isn’t Old Man Yells At Cloud from a season 12 or 13 episode?

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
Yes, it’s from season 13, episode 13.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i liked the safari episode :smith:

"quick! get in the boat! hippos hate water!"

Plan Z posted:

minor nitpick here, but this is a good example of a good idea for a joke that's a bit undermined by its set up.

homer not recognizing cesar chavez but recognizing cesar romero is a pretty funny concept. EXCEPT that moments earlier, he just asked him "who are you?".

it reminds me of the episode with frank grimes' son, with the scene where lisa shows up to reveal that she knew who's been sending homer the threatening letters, and that it was bumblebee man. this was demonstrated by showing the audience...a piece of paper that it was written on that lisa was carrying with her. so many things wrong with that scene. why is it on a piece of paper? does lisa not know who bumblebee man is? would she have forgotten if she hadn't written it down? does no one else in the family know bumblebee man and would they have forgotten as well had lisa not written it down?

now, i get it. and i do think it's pretty good idea to have a joke where lisa is not only wrong, but HILARIOUSLY wrong, and using a character that barely has had any screen time in years, but it was a dumb way to go about it. the paper only exists to deliver a joke to the audience. it's not organic, it's not natural and it defies the laws of logic and reason that we'd come to expect from lisa of all people.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 5, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also it’s a not as good version of the bit where Colonel Klink appeared to him because Homer didn’t know who Sir Isaac Newton was

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Data Graham posted:

Also it’s a not as good version of the bit where Colonel Klink appeared to him because Homer didn’t know who Sir Isaac Newton was

The isaac newton thing is great because it seems like a reference to some obscure literary thing or old movie where that happens, but as far as i can tell it's just an original concept

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, it’s a riff on Its A Wonderful Life (and/or A Christmas Carol), no?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Data Graham posted:

I mean, it’s a riff on Its A Wonderful Life (and/or A Christmas Carol), no?

Yeah, but Isaac Newton isn't from those

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
maybe like this:

"hey, it's Cesar Romero!"
"I am Cesar Chavez."
"why do you look like Cesar Romero?"
"because you do not know what Cesar Chavez looks like."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

maybe like this:

"hey, it's Cesar Romero!"
"I am Cesar Chavez."
"why do you look like Cesar Romero?"
"because you do not know what Cesar Chavez looks like."

exactly. there are plenty of other ways around it that would have worked much better.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think my favorite similar version of this joke was actually in the Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger epsiode.

"Tell the people, Homer. They have a right to know."
"Who are you?"
"What do you care? I'm telling you what you want to hear!"

Mr Interweb posted:

it reminds me of the episode with frank grimes' son, with the scene where lisa shows up to reveal that she knew who's been sending homer the threatening letters, and that it was bumblebee man. this was demonstrated by showing the audience...a piece of paper that it was written on that lisa was carrying with her. so many things wrong with that scene. why is it on a piece of paper? does lisa not know who bumblebee man is? would she have forgotten if she hadn't written it down? does no one else in the family know bumblebee man and would they have forgotten as well had lisa not written it down?

now, i get it. and i do think it's pretty good idea to have a joke where lisa is not only wrong, but HILARIOUSLY wrong, and using a character that barely has had any screen time in years, but it was a dumb way to go about it. the paper only exists to deliver a joke to the audience. it's not organic, it's not natural and it defies the laws of logic and reason that we'd come to expect from lisa of all people.

:what:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

you take issue with something i said, friendo?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

(excited) Billy Baldwin!!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

you take issue with something i said, friendo?
What you said makes less sense than you claim the joke does and from your explanation of how you "get it" I don't think you actually could have produced a better written joke- of all the ones to go after I think this one is actually fine.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I just caught "Any Given Sundance" on the teevee. Its apparently an S19 episode, but it had some pretty good gags - Homer opening the junk mail ("Doctors without borders? More like doctors without money!" / "a scissors runs through it"), the "los DVDs!" bit, Homer getting bummed out when he finds out the film is a documentary, and the "C H A L M S K I N S" bit.

"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Cyril Sneer posted:

I just caught "Any Given Sundance" on the teevee. Its apparently an S19 episode, but it had some pretty good gags - Homer opening the junk mail ("Doctors without borders? More like doctors without money!" / "a scissors runs through it"), the "los DVDs!" bit, Homer getting bummed out when he finds out the film is a documentary, and the "C H A L M S K I N S" bit.

I liked Jim Jarmusch's Cheaper By the Dozen 3.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

What you said makes less sense than you claim the joke does and from your explanation of how you "get it" I don't think you actually could have produced a better written joke- of all the ones to go after I think this one is actually fine.

are you talking about the cesar chavez thing or the bumblebee man one?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lisa is excited to show that she's figured out who Homer's attacker is so she's made a production out of it by writing down the name on a piece of paper for the big reveal. Then it turns out she thought it was some goofy bit character with no relation whatsoever to the actual attacker. It's funny! I'm not sure what thought process she used to arrive at the conclusion that Bumblebee Man was the would be murderer but at that point you're thinking about it too hard.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Lisa is excited to show that she's figured out who Homer's attacker is so she's made a production out of it by writing down the name on a piece of paper for the big reveal. Then it turns out she thought it was some goofy bit character with no relation whatsoever to the actual attacker. It's funny! I'm not sure what thought process she used to arrive at the conclusion that Bumblebee Man was the would be murderer but at that point you're thinking about it too hard.

it's not about why she came to the conclusion that it was BBM. the issue is that she decided to write that on a piece of paper for some reason

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The "Lisa tries to grandstand and it backfires" aspect of it is also basically a repeat of a much better joke from the football one.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

it's not about why she came to the conclusion that it was BBM. the issue is that she decided to write that on a piece of paper for some reason

I hadn't ever thought about that.

Was she worried she would forget the name as she was speaking? Did she intend to show it to everyone as she said it?

Of course, the real answer is that they really wanted to make that joke, sensicality be damned.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

was this before or after the episode where Moe put his solution to the mystery plot in a fancy envelope with a big question mark, but the storyline had already been resolved?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1302012421461159936?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fat man eat phone!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/conorhaloreach/status/1302657021725077506?s=21

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Move over, JuiceOne, there's a new sherriff in Simpsons Memetown:
https://twitter.com/BenHugh26422354/status/1280922072810692609

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That sure is a take. I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I'm just picturing Homer joining Militaires Sans Frontieres

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hey guys just want everyone to be aware of my ninja fetish

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lmao poor Ben still can't get his ninja wish. I think I posted him asking Al Jean about ninjas last year.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't get the point of a ninja fetish. You don't even see them coming.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't get the point of a ninja fetish. You don't even see them coming.

:vince:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hope a giant steps on some more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/ThatGuy3002/status/1303019207446212608