Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I painted up some of my ‘every legion’ paint scheme chaos space marines. The idea is that I can play them as warband from emperors children or alpha legion or word bearers without feeling too weird about it. I also started painting my death guard in the same scheme, so I can share stuff between the armies (like decimators, predators, lords, and so on). If I had time, money and storage space, approaching infinity, I’d just have an army of each, but this is good enough for now.

I was originally going for a ‘bad guys from astartes’ aesthetic, mixed with a minotaur colors, but now I’m not sure. I wanted to use the sanguinary guard masks at first, but hoo boy, those are expensive as bits. I don’t think they look too bad.

The chaos marine shoulder pads are really amazing for paining the trim and the plate part two different colors, but copper trim looked weird, so for now I have just painted them fully silver unless there is a thing on it. I guess I could try and leave the center part copper too, or paint it red like the cloth.

I’ve been trying a couple of different things for oxidized silver and i think the best one is paint black and do a kinda of dry-brush silver over it. Just silver nuln oil isn’t too bad either. If anyone has good ideas, I’d welcome them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Snail Information posted:

Has anyone ever seen or know of skeletons kitbashed as guardsmen. Maybe it's as simple as buying some skele kits and kitbashing them to be holding lasguns. It's surprisingly difficult to find model skeletons these days. The only ones I know of are the super busy AoS ones, and the warlord games ones which look very Halloween themed. I really want to do a spooky skele regiment of guards for halloween.

I'm in the long and exhausting process of kitbashing skeletons and space marines. I'm using the AoS generic skeleton warriors that I think you're talking about. Most of the bits have some kind of medieval-looking thing hanging off of them (armor scraps, scabbards, etc) but a few of them are plain bones that you could plausibly slot into IG dudes. The rub is that you'll need to get into recasting, otherwise the cost of getting the bits you want is going to be insane.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I painted up some of my ‘every legion’ paint scheme chaos space marines. The idea is that I can play them as warband from emperors children or alpha legion or word bearers without feeling too weird about it. I also started painting my death guard in the same scheme, so I can share stuff between the armies (like decimators, predators, lords, and so on). If I had time, money and storage space, approaching infinity, I’d just have an army of each, but this is good enough for now.

I was originally going for a ‘bad guys from astartes’ aesthetic, mixed with a minotaur colors, but now I’m not sure. I wanted to use the sanguinary guard masks at first, but hoo boy, those are expensive as bits. I don’t think they look too bad.

The chaos marine shoulder pads are really amazing for paining the trim and the plate part two different colors, but copper trim looked weird, so for now I have just painted them fully silver unless there is a thing on it. I guess I could try and leave the center part copper too, or paint it red like the cloth.

I’ve been trying a couple of different things for oxidized silver and i think the best one is paint black and do a kinda of dry-brush silver over it. Just silver nuln oil isn’t too bad either. If anyone has good ideas, I’d welcome them.

Get some Nihilak Oxide for the bronze/gold and some Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust for the silvers and go to grunge town. Adding over-the-top weathering has made metallics my favourite things to paint.

Case in point:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/07/cadia-stands-on-your-shelves/

So GW has now expanded even further into action figures. What's more interesting is the fact it's going to be funded through a kickstarter campaign that's going live at the start of next month.

Oh and we're getting another preview stream on Saturday. This time it's about 40k codexes and how they'll turn out among other things.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
If you look at that website the action figures they make are like, £165. It's pricey poo poo. Looks awesome though.

In other news there's an online preview of the Necron and Space Marine codices on Saturday, so you gotta wonder how long until someone post the entire thing online anyway.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm in the long and exhausting process of kitbashing skeletons and space marines. I'm using the AoS generic skeleton warriors that I think you're talking about. Most of the bits have some kind of medieval-looking thing hanging off of them (armor scraps, scabbards, etc) but a few of them are plain bones that you could plausibly slot into IG dudes. The rub is that you'll need to get into recasting, otherwise the cost of getting the bits you want is going to be insane.

perhaps I should wait until I get a 3d printer ;-;

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Has anyone ever seen or know of skeletons kitbashed as guardsmen. Maybe it's as simple as buying some skele kits and kitbashing them to be holding lasguns. It's surprisingly difficult to find model skeletons these days. The only ones I know of are the super busy AoS ones, and the warlord games ones which look very Halloween themed. I really want to do a spooky skele regiment of guards for halloween.

How about these bad bois as a source of bits?
https://store.warlordgames.com/products/skeleton-warriors

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I feel like they look terribly goofy but 24 of them is good value

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Communist Walrus posted:

How are you putting the bolters into their boney hands?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I don't know if they'd be suitable for kitbashing into guardsmen but Runewars box sets are still going for less than 30 bucks and you get two dozen skeletons in the box- even if all you did was use the skulls you'd still be better off than buying the GW skull bits box

edit: I dug through my minis and the archers are probably easily converted to guardsmen aiming rifles, I think you get 12 per box set which isn't bad for $28 considering you also get everything else in the box

Even if all you're doing with it is using it for donor bits, it's the best deal in miniatures right now and I feel like nobody knows

snip the bow snip the quiver paint the armor as a flak jacket and maybe dremel out an IG hat or two to sell the unit and I think that'd work great

edit 2: wait no you snip the arrows and repaint the quiver as a rocket launcher (or snip some and combine into backpacks etc)

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 7, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/07/cadia-stands-on-your-shelves/

So GW has now expanded even further into action figures. What's more interesting is the fact it's going to be funded through a kickstarter campaign that's going live at the start of next month.

Oh and we're getting another preview stream on Saturday. This time it's about 40k codexes and how they'll turn out among other things.

It seems like GW is taking the same tactic with licensing consumer products that they did with licensing video games. Which is to avoid exclusivity deals and license to as many developers as they can.
This was seen as a huge gamble when they started doing it, but it's been paying off for them, most video games that have come out lately have been successful to some degree, and it's quickly expanding the reach of their IP beyond the typical tabletop nerds they've always courted in the past.

Hopefully this will have the same results, I want Ghazghkull plushies and Space Marine stompy slippers...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A sequel to space marine would fuckin rule.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
New kitties!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How are you putting the bolters into their boney hands?

For some of them the arm/hand armor hasn't rotted away, so they still have their usual space marine hands. For others, I snagged a set of skeleton hands from Anvil Industries that has ones in the relevant poses.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just bury your Cadians in the yard, then dig them up when they have naturally decomposed to the desired state.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ashcans posted:

Just bury your Cadians in the yard, then dig them up when they have naturally decomposed to the desired state.

Planets exploding doesn’t leave much to decompose.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necromunda: Underhive Wars is out now on Steam.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

Hopefully this will have the same results, I want Ghazghkull plushies and Space Marine stompy slippers...

They really missed the boat with respirators and masks. Imagine the 40k pandemic merch.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

a friend thought I should try for some roots and the reindeer moss I have seems to work both for roots and vines. I will probably have to paint over the vines and roots once it's all glued because it's not looking too hot right now but that should be easy enough

I will probably end up making this the main theme of my necron army if I can stick with it, it's not that much harder than any other step aside from having to work with lots and lots of super glue. I think I might put some birds on the big guy in the box if I can find some in the right scale (edit: aaaaaand i did, haha, i am definitely gonna put a bird on some of these when those get here)

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 8, 2020

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I absolutely love the leafy necrons

Mosscrons? Grasscron? Dunno what to call em but they're neat as hell

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Reminds me of the robots from Castle in the Sky in a much darker way of course.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

First five done, gotta do some touch-up and basing still but I'm happy with the moss patterns on these

DandyLion posted:

Reminds me of the robots from Castle in the Sky in a much darker way of course.

Yeah! This is exactly what I was going for, actually. I'm calling them the "Laputian Dynasty" in my head right now until I settle on something better

right now, my headcanon fluff for my army is that before they went into stasis, they infected themselves with a virus meant to gradually turn their skeletal bodies into organic material and encourage botanical growth, as a counter to the flayed one virus. Since I'm doing my custom model as a flayed one, I thought I'd have a unit or two that had been seperated out by locals and turned into decorations or furniture in the interim period only to come to life and stich themselves back together with some colonists

edit:

(have to fix the eyes on the middle guy)

The moss dangles on the back on a couple of these guys, when I get the basing done I'll do some more complete pictures. I still have a royal warden and the scarabs from my recruit box and then on to my indomitus stuff

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 8, 2020

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Tried painting some scarabs, it was... frustrating

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Z the IVth posted:

They really missed the boat with respirators and masks. Imagine the 40k pandemic merch.

Something like this printed on a facemask.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Z the IVth posted:

Yea I was thinking this, I would totally have bought a 40k style printed mask.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Same, but it would probably be some garbage two-layer non-fitting thing like all the other branded masks I really wanted. :(

More Thousand Sons:

I'm still not sure how much silver I want on the regular Rubric Marines. I might make at least the pauldrons gold for some contrast.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Tried painting some scarabs, it was... frustrating

What was frustrating about them? The glow? Which looks great btw. The most frustrating part for me was trying to add the basing after putting them on and painting them. I was thinking about putting down a layer of Astrogranite Debris and then pushing them into that while it's still wet. It might make the scarabs look like they're crawling out of the ground. But I don't intend to use them so I didn't work too hard.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Ashcans posted:

This is 100000% unlicensed AliExpress hilarity but:

C$ 10.47 40%OFF | Sergeant Helmet Non-Disposable Face Mask Star Wars Imperial Stormtrooper Anti Dustproof Mask Protection Respirator
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq1BNen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I last posted in like May. The reason was I moved and haven't done much painting, it has picked up a bit though. I basically did not paint in May or June as we were doing house stuff, as of July though this is my new dedicated Hamspace:

I have enough space to run a small RTT when the country opens back up. This photo doesn't do it justice, I could put 4 tables in at the new size with space to spare. This is the perk to flyover states.

I set up a display case. I also posted about my experience with a "not a detolf" on Goonhammer.

Despite the great ikea table leg shortage of 2020, I expanded my painting area to have a dedicated airbrushing space. This is a massive quality of life improvement. Previously I had my airbrush set up in my parents' basement, meaning I had to drive a half hour to use it.

I used that space to paint three dudes in July and early August:

Don't judge, I have a time consuming process. I also painted a couple pieces of terrain and started the remainder of the squad.

Oh, I also knocked out these guys in 35 days:

The goal was to have an away team for teaching folks how to play and also to force myself to speed paint something rather than having literally every model be a 10 hour project. These guys with batchpainting probably averaged 40 min a model. There's a ton of stuff I'd like to get all anal about and dive in for hours but that IS NOT THE POINT and I WILL NOT DO THAT SHUT UP, SUBCONSCIOUS.

Basically it's a slightly busier version of the new scheme, I wanted to have a bit more of a visual interest to them as I liked the base scheme but found it a little dull.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 8, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

This former armor crewman just weeps at how bad the design of that suspension is.

You did a beautiful job painting them.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So, I'm wanting to paint some T'au in a different color scheme because I really love the color. Problem is, it's not a normal tone, and I'm not experienced/knowledgeable enough in paint mixing to do this on my own. So I thought I'd ask my Goon brothers!

The color in question is Dark Slate Gray (#2F4F4F). Two questions:

How would ya'll go about coming up with a way to get the actual color in question (mixing paints, or maybe a color matching place to get the paint in a pot?) and what colors do you think would compliment it for all the gribblies and other bits. I'd love your opinions and thoughts.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Tanon posted:

So, I'm wanting to paint some T'au in a different color scheme because I really love the color. Problem is, it's not a normal tone, and I'm not experienced/knowledgeable enough in paint mixing to do this on my own. So I thought I'd ask my Goon brothers!

The color in question is Dark Slate Gray (#2F4F4F). Two questions:

How would ya'll go about coming up with a way to get the actual color in question (mixing paints, or maybe a color matching place to get the paint in a pot?) and what colors do you think would compliment it for all the gribblies and other bits. I'd love your opinions and thoughts.

Says here that there's a Vallejo Model Air that matches 2F4F4F:

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/vallejo-model-air--763/71309-dark-slate-grey-bs634-acrylic-matt--12109

I really like their air and game air line in general, even for just brushing on - just pretend it's pre thinned

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Says here that there's a Vallejo Model Air that matches 2F4F4F:

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/vallejo-model-air--763/71309-dark-slate-grey-bs634-acrylic-matt--12109

I really like their air and game air line in general, even for just brushing on - just pretend it's pre thinned

Thank you! Any thoughts on what might be some good compliments?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tanon posted:

Thank you! Any thoughts on what might be some good compliments?

Depends on what you're going for. Are your Tau on an icy planet spreading the greater good? Are they on one of their own capital ships being besieged by ork pirates? Tell a story through your painting and basing, then choose colors accordingly.

So light blue armor with grey fatigues on the fire warriors to give an icy feel? Or red fatigues with grey armor to show that they're part of the farsight enclaves? Or neon pink with the grey to show that they're in a future punk cityscape or whatever.

Tell a story!

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

LifeLynx posted:

What was frustrating about them? The glow? Which looks great btw. The most frustrating part for me was trying to add the basing after putting them on and painting them. I was thinking about putting down a layer of Astrogranite Debris and then pushing them into that while it's still wet. It might make the scarabs look like they're crawling out of the ground. But I don't intend to use them so I didn't work too hard.

Thanks! It’s just frustrating because I’m an absolute novice and the details are so tiny (and stray bristles on my brushes were driving me crazy), I’m not sure why but I found the warrior a bit easier/more enjoyable to paint.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

So I last posted in like May. The reason was I moved and haven't done much painting, it has picked up a bit though. I basically did not paint in May or June as we were doing house stuff, as of July though this is my new dedicated Hamspace:

I'm more jealous of your hamcave than your painting, and I'm really jealous of your painting. Yeah I've found it hard not to make every model a 10 hour project also. I keep finding little bits I missed or would like to tidy up, but I have to remember that nothing's perfect and these things are going to be seen from at least two feet away anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I'm more jealous of your hamcave than your painting, and I'm really jealous of your painting. Yeah I've found it hard not to make every model a 10 hour project also. I keep finding little bits I missed or would like to tidy up, but I have to remember that nothing's perfect and these things are going to be seen from at least two feet away anyway.

I have been trying to justify this to myself with "well i'm not gonna be playing against anyone with these dudes anytime soon, so I might as well take my time" but also I am building armies right now, and I just don't have the time or patience to do display quality models for an entire army. I do the occasionally one off display quality, but otherwise an army just needs a few base coats, a shade, and edge highlights, and they are good.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/Neon_Goblin/status/1303462738140819457?s=20

I painted something.

He's a tiny big boi with a big gun.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I have been trying to justify this to myself with "well i'm not gonna be playing against anyone with these dudes anytime soon, so I might as well take my time"

I have this problem for sure, even though I likely will never play a single game of 40k(or at least not any time soon) the idea of an actually fully painted army is enticing. But between the speed I paint and how often I actually sit down and do it, I get maybe one model finished a week, usually less.

My other issue is finishing that last 5% on models, the tiny details that are "fine" to leave partially completed, like doing the text/symbols on purity seals. I end up moving on to another project and tell myself I'll get around to it eventually.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Are Grey Knights getting new minis or something? Seems like they've been completely out of stock on GW's store for a good while now and with all the space marine scale creep they definitely look a little dainty now. I kinda want to make a GK Kill Team that I can work on until there's ever an opportunity to play again, but I don't want to be finishing them off right as a new line drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Everythings out of stock, their pipeline is proper hosed from covid so don't assume any out of stocks are a new sculpt. At best they're getting a new box with updated datasheet for 9th