Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shibawanko posted:

i get you dont want to use a crt but compared to using an emulator getting some kind of setup that gets the signal onto whatever screen you use cant possibly be worse than the hoops you have to jump through for emulation. i never got runahead to work properly either, i always get weird incorrect inputs and other bullshit or just slowdown, and then you have to tweak various settings and other things like that. maybe real hardware is a bit of a pain too but i can genuinely say i never really enjoyed emulation, it's never felt worth doing and somehow just feels janky and lame

Tbh I can't say I've ever encountered the problems you've had, which I guess is where the difference lies. Retroarch was insanely easy for me to setup. Went from install to being in game in about 10 minutes, extend that a couple more per system core I needed to add.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

emulation for dealios pre-2000 is basically plug and play

emulate gamecube, yeah thatll be a giant pita

Dolphin is pretty plug n play nowadays. PS2 is where you still actually have to gently caress with everything to make it work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

site posted:

Dolphin is pretty plug n play nowadays. PS2 is where you still actually have to gently caress with everything to make it work

dolphin is good but it never sounds right, and even then that gen is fairly available and cheap because there's no nostalgia attached to it yet, so why wouldn't you use the original hardware if you have it? you can hook up a ps2 or a gcn to an hdtv more easily than you can do with anything before it, and provided the disc reading hardware is still working the print and save media can last longer than cartridges if stored properly.

anything before that is a pain in the rear end. crts are too heavy to justify even darius twin

now if your goal is to play the last story undub without a way to create discs the wii will accept i can see the argument for dolphin. also i guess wii drives are starting to fail now so maybe wii games in general after a decade.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 7, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sure, if you already have the console and games and a TV with the correct hookups. I didn't realize we were assuming that someone would be emulating games under that condition tho, considering the op said to just buy all that stuff. And tbh the sound in dolphin is definitely not bad enough to make me spend the money on all that poo poo since I've never noticed it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We are at a point in time where anything in the past 30 years is cheaper and easier to just buy than emulate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
snes earthbound, hell no

jack down that time period to 15 years, then sure

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We are at a point in time where anything in the past 30 years is cheaper and easier to just buy than emulate.

Download ROM, open program, play

Or

Order game and system online, wait for it to come in. Hope it uses a/v input your tv supports, if not mod it or buy old TV. If you want to play a handheld you are required to mod it. Hope your used console you just bought doesn't crap out. Want to use a different kind of controller? Hope someone makes a custom mod to let you do that. No upscaling support. Hope you like looking at 320x240 on a 40in tv

Gee I dunno

site fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

we get it, you’re a huge dork

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i guess its also easier in europe because we have abundant scart crt tv's which take rgb with no fuss and you can pick one up for free usually, theyre not pretty but i really enjoy mine

i used to emulate stuff all the time when i was younger but i struggle to think of a game that i finished in emulation, i think chrono trigger was the only one, and that's a turn based game where input lag doesn't matter. input lag just sucks poo poo and getting rid of it isn't easy, on top of all of the other stuff you have to tweak

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

snes earthbound, hell no

jack down that time period to 15 years, then sure

i'd say closer to 20. there's almost no ps2, xbox, or gcn games with the collector's demand of earthbound or suikoden 2. i'm sure there are one or two, chulip maybe? japanese first edition sealed okami? and steel batallion doesn't count lol. but i can't think of anything that was both good and also had a short print run starting from like 2001.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

food court bailiff posted:

we get it, you’re a huge dork

If I spend a bunch a money on collecting consoles and old TVs that's less dorky?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, this is internecine dork civil war, hardware vs software peeps

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

site posted:

If I spend a bunch a money on collecting consoles and old TVs that's less dorky?

depends on how often and how militantly you post about it dweebledee

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Feel free to post about something else

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah lemme just go and drop 140 bucks on buying a legit PS1 Symphony of the Night disk from some retro game "collector" online.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

playing on real hardware doesnt mean you have to actually buy the games, you can just use sd card interfaces

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah lemme just go and drop 140 bucks on buying a legit PS1 Symphony of the Night disk from some retro game "collector" online.

maybe you could try one of the other six platforms it was released for, many of which are still current

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

easy and cheap: buying a retro console that has one specific use, buying out of print video games or buying a kit to mod it to take SD cards/burnt CDs, buying/thrifting a CRT and setting it up with the system
hard and expensive: downloading a program and a ROM, running it on my computer i already own for non retro gaming purposes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sd cards for old consoles dont actually require modding, just an everdrive, you can get clones off aliexpress for little money

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

maybe you could try one of the other six platforms it was released for, many of which are still current

gently caress the ports only symphony of the night-psx has the license to use i am the wind

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but picking up a package in the mail entails going outside, even if for like 30 seconds

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

emulation for dealios pre-2000 is basically plug and play

emulate gamecube, yeah thatll be a giant pita

That is the fuckin truth. I came home from Ye Olde Local Game Shoppe with a couple of PSX games thinking "I'll just run these on an emulator, I'm sure that's all very turnkey by now" and nope

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nintendo has a lot more continuity, a lot worse and thus more emulatable hardware, and the absolutely turbofuck insane peeps behind dolphin

but still snes is a lot easier than n64 which in turn is way easier than gamecube

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm kicking myself over not buying a gamecube/GBA adapter and disk for $40 a few years ago. They are $200 now. Crazy.

I'm assuming that is the best way to play GBA games on a tv?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Everdrives and the like requires you to flash a rom onto the sd card via your computer tho right?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm kicking myself over not buying a gamecube/GBA adapter and disk for $40 a few years ago. They are $200 now. Crazy.

retron5 is honestly pretty nice for it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Truly an unfathomable missed opportunity cost, a valuation of almost $10 per year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah can't believe they don't want to shell out 200 bucks for a gba emulator during covid, when everyone has an abundance of disposable income

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
just download retroarch what's the big deal :shrug:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chomp8645 posted:

Truly an unfathomable missed opportunity cost, a valuation of almost $10 per year.

It's gone up 5x in 3 years. that's more than $10 a year.

retron5 is honestly pretty nice for it

I had one that I never used and eventually sold. I heard so much bad about the controller I just never could rear end myself to use it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

site posted:

Everdrives and the like requires you to flash a rom onto the sd card via your computer tho right?

the chinese clones i bought came with sd cards preloaded with all the roms i need for snes and nes anyway, i could just put them in my system and go

i dunno how other peoples experience with retroarch has been but for me its never been plug and play, its always a lot of bullshit where i have to find a torrent to get the right bios, set up all kinds of poo poo and get a controller to work and mapped correctly, and i dunno if its my laptop or what but it just never runs great, frameskips and lag up the rear end for a lot of the systems

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Waltzing Along posted:

I had one that I never used and eventually sold. I heard so much bad about the controller I just never could rear end myself to use it.

I have one of those portable SNES things. I should sell it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

oh yeah the controllers are total garbage, I use snes controllers on mine

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

oh yeah the controllers are total garbage, I use snes controllers on mine

Yeah, I'm seeing that that can be done. Seems doable. How does the R5 work? It uses hardware emulation?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shibawanko posted:

the chinese clones i bought came with sd cards preloaded with all the roms i need for snes and nes anyway, i could just put them in my system and go

Lol I bet Nintendo is pissed they can't do anything about that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the real reason to not emulate though is that it just kind of sucks. even when it works perfectly, you're playing higan or whatever with a blurry rear end filter thats meant to look like a crt but totally doesn't, you'll still have lag issues, you're still just getting a poor man's version of what those games were like originally. its not like you're missing out on great art or anything but if you've decided that you want to play these games its worth getting some of the hardware for it because it just makes it a lot better

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I put my entire 401k in original SNES cartridges, I definitely won't wind up like that couple who bought tons of furbies as a college fund for their kids

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shibawanko posted:

the real reason to not emulate though is that it just kind of sucks. even when it works perfectly, you're playing higan or whatever with a blurry rear end filter thats meant to look like a crt but totally doesn't, you'll still have lag issues, you're still just getting a poor man's version of what those games were like originally. its not like you're missing out on great art or anything but if you've decided that you want to play these games its worth getting some of the hardware for it because it just makes it a lot better

I mean, I guess I will refrain from generalizing to say that it's easy for everyone but once again I can't say I've encountered any of that. CRT post processing filters are disabled by default (and I would generally agree that they're not great to look at and don't use those myself), runahead to eliminate input lag is just an on/off switch (okay you can set it to 1,2, or 3 to see what works best for you) and you can even confirm it's working by pausing the game and testing it frame by frame if you're unsure.

When it works it works and it's easy and it costs no money, very little time and effort, I can use it on my machine or on the tv with any controller I want, cleaned up graphics, and I have games from every system from arcade/mame, nes to ps1 all centralized in one program. If that's poor man's version means I can have all that well that's a weird use of the term but I'll take it

site fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 7, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

lmao what do you buy gold tipped audio cables too because you swear the fidelity increase can't be ignored? NESticle when I was a child ran games better than the NES could and its p weird to be messing with those scanline filters or whatever, those are only there as a joke, like, some of them just blur pixels together like an image trace in illustrator, come on.

I have three big boxes full of every old console and annoying rear end physical game I've ever owned from NES to Wii and it's annoying as hell to lug around this poo poo every year I move. Even if I owned a TV I dont think it would work with any of this crap without hassle and to what end? im also definitely not trying to acquire some heavass CRT to relive some fantasy ideal of how stuff was "supposed" to look on crappier tech. and oh boy, wouldn't it be fun to ever have to hold an NES controller ever again, think of all these poor suckers playing NES games with a comfortable controller designed for humans instead of a sharp plastic brick designed for a crappy robot to use.

all of those consoles would just be better emulated on my pc, i think most of em could even be done on phone these days. i really just want to sell them off since at least some of its got to be worth decent cash but that just always seems like a hassle itself. you seem like a nice old games pervert, how much would you give me for 3 boxes full of old games and old games hardware, cables and everything, even boxes for some crap? To sweeten the deal, you can keep my broken laptop thats also in the big plastic tub box. I never really knew what was wrong with it, it only works in safemode now but somewhere on that harddrive there is the wallet address or whatever to some tiny fraction of a bitcoin from back when it was a joke to spend a buck to buy one and I wanted to mine one up to buy a Ron Paul bitcoin check that I thought was funny.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
If I need to scratch my retro itch, I just fire up Metroid Prime on my Wii with a Gamecube controller on a 19" CRT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I load up the timeless retro classic Shovel Knight