Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There was a recipe for roasted goon ding-dong, that ruffled a lot of feathers around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

How Wonderful! posted:

There was a recipe for roasted goon ding-dong, that ruffled a lot of feathers around here.

If that is the actual reason and not just you making a goofy joke that is A) Amazing, B) Depressing, and C) Amazingly Depressing

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

JethroMcB posted:

tomorrow's recipe is chicken

https://twitter.com/achewoodnc/status/1302439840429084675?s=21

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It was just a joke, the real reason is that he announced plans to publish a second volume of his cookbook and took pre-orders, but the book never got published. Some goons were very upset about this and at various points in the long history of this thread it kind of overwhelmed the discourse. It was originally set to be published in May, 2010 so depending on your perspective that is either a long time to hold a grudge or a long time to put together a low budget novelty cookbook. Or both!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

How Wonderful! posted:

It was just a joke, the real reason is that he announced plans to publish a second volume of his cookbook and took pre-orders, but the book never got published. Some goons were very upset about this and at various points in the long history of this thread it kind of overwhelmed the discourse. It was originally set to be published in May, 2010 so depending on your perspective that is either a long time to hold a grudge or a long time to put together a low budget novelty cookbook. Or both!

They got seriously dong-razzled and now all of their “money” is “away from them.”

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I view my unfulfilled pre-order as the purchased right to complain about Achewood whenever and however I want.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I kind of hope my pre-ordered part 1 omnibus never arrives and instead I just get a piece of paper with furious dongs and "up yours customer!" drawn on it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just Offscreen posted:

Here's a pretty good video about Achewood that I enjoyed.

https://youtu.be/yWFm5q_B5EQ

Also its gently caress You Friday.

came here to post this, I just follow Thought Slime and was surprised to see the video. nothing we don't all know backwards and forwards but I think there was some detail of the GOF mentioned that I'd never noticed before

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

How Wonderful! posted:

If people spent money on a thing they didn't receive, it's a reasonable thing to be upset about.

That said, it is still far from the most egregious mishandling of money in the history of web comics.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

LordSaturn posted:

came here to post this, I just follow Thought Slime and was surprised to see the video. nothing we don't all know backwards and forwards but I think there was some detail of the GOF mentioned that I'd never noticed before

It was definitely one of those videos where you had to take a sec and acknowledge "no poo poo of course he would be into Achewood enough to make a video about it that tracks perfectly."

I was wondering if hbomberguy is going to make one.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Speaking of GOF, I used to be of the mind of " Okay, it's not that great because cmon, Ray is a soft rich boy that has never thrown a fist in anger once in his life, and now he just dominates the GOF? "

but then I remembered the strip where Lil Nephew was driving a Honda into a lake at one inch an hour and Ray snapped a wheel off, and pulled out the back axle with his bare hands.

Dude is a freak.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No teenage boy has ever done anything wise near a lake. Better safe than sorry.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Erebus posted:

If people spent money on a thing they didn't receive, it's a reasonable thing to be upset about.

That said, it is still far from the most egregious mishandling of money in the history of web comics.

It was a rollercoaster at the time, but I still got my book eventually! I'd call the Homestuck Kickstarter a bigger fiasco, all things being equal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

No teenage boy has ever done anything wise near a lake. Better safe than sorry.

The way Ray says that makes it clear he's speaking from personal experience

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Nestharken posted:

I'd call the Homestuck Kickstarter a bigger fiasco, all things being equal.

Which one?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pyrus Malus posted:

jesus christ I just realized achewood strips have alt text, time to reread

my dude is about to discover "He shouldn't have yelled at him. He shouldn't have yelled at his friend. Not over this." and "You can do whatever you want in life." for the first time. I'm a little jealous.

Underrated alt text: "The little corn salesman loves to drink the beer!"

How Wonderful! posted:

SCREW YOU RICHARD 8==D

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pyrus Malus posted:

jesus christ I just realized achewood strips have alt text, time to reread

The main idea is that the cats are standing on their hind legs.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

my dude is about to discover "He shouldn't have yelled at him. He shouldn't have yelled at his friend. Not over this." and "You can do whatever you want in life." for the first time. I'm a little jealous.

Underrated alt text: "The little corn salesman loves to drink the beer!"

loving hell, Ray.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

God I always forget this one exists but its amazing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nice Pete (crazy) was on Pat's couch eating a bucket of drum-sticks. After he sucks all the meat off the bone he breaks it in half and drops it back in the bucket. He does not smile or frown.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just Offscreen posted:

God I always forget this one exists but its amazing.

The very next strip has Teodor playing a guitar into a computer website about meeting girls. It is very sad, according to everyone.

Saoshyant posted:

Nice Pete (crazy) was on Pat's couch eating a bucket of drum-sticks. After he sucks all the meat off the bone he breaks it in half and drops it back in the bucket. He does not smile or frown.

We also learn about Lyle's video collection!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 9, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So apparently Robert Smith of The Cure fame is collaborating with The Gorillaz on a song, which immediately had me thinking of all the times this strip has made jokes about that band*(well that and a joke Strong Bad once made claiming that someone dressed up as Strong Sad for one of the Homestar Runner^ Halloween videos was in fact a "dumpy Robert Smith action figure")

*The Cure to be specific

^So I get hit with nostalgia for two dead or mostly dead artifacts of early 2000's Internet Pop Culture

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The Cure is good, The Cure strips are good

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Ray's genuine concern for Pat's music tastes is the best

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

We also learn about Lyle's video collection!

Has anyone seen "THE BITCHSEER"? He says it's about a man who can see mean women through walls. Any good?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
oh i was frustrated that you didn't include the best Cure line and then I guess it didn't load for me the first time

"Pretty good now that I am 239,000 miles from The Cure" is a real, real good burn.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Nestharken posted:

It was a rollercoaster at the time, but I still got my book eventually! I'd call the Homestuck Kickstarter a bigger fiasco, all things being equal.

Wait, what Homestuck Kickstarter fiasco?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SacrificialGoat posted:

Wait, what Homestuck Kickstarter fiasco?

The original Hiveswap devs running off with the money, I assume. Which resulted in having to form a new studio and split up the game.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Nestharken posted:

Wait. You got what book eventually?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The one for PFSC, dead wasp and all, plus some original comics and journal notes.

I've known enough artist types that John Campbell burning a bunch of extra copies of their book and posting the video of it to the Kickstarter immediately registered as just part of the piece to me. I hope they're doing better these days.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Same- I mean this in the best possible way but I hope they are doing well and I never hear from them again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Were the copies "extra"? I thought a lot of people never got theirs because after spending so much money on dead wasps JC hadn't left enough for postage.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Were the copies "extra"? I thought a lot of people never got theirs because after spending so much money on dead wasps JC hadn't left enough for postage.

Adding up the orders on the Kickstarter page comes out to a little over 1000 copies of the book, and it's pretty standard to wind up with a 10% overrun on custom orders like this, so the 127 copies that they burned are about in that range.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The Cure is actually a good band.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The Cure is actually a good band.
I both like them and agree that they are silly people.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

R I S O T T O ?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Maybe the most powerful Teodor has ever been

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Well there you go a husky latino with bad news and bedroom eyes was the best part of our vacation and we weren't even a hungover Avon lady in Vegas

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1304838954051543040

Achewood: August 5, 2008
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08052008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
IF AT FIRST YOU ARE STERN

HIS RESPECT YOU WILL EARN

Edit: Okay, I got pretty close without actually looking at the strip

Edit 2: And can I just say that I love the silent panels of Nice Pete there.
In my mind, the only thing that moves are his eyes. Looking at the 20 in Lyles hand, snap up to Lyles face for a moment. THEN " Of course".

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 12, 2020