Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrBouvenstein posted:

Early 90s Marvel had a bug up their butt about TMNT.
How DARE they use the word Mutant and not give us a cut! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FilthyImp posted:

How DARE they use the word Mutant and not give us a cut! :argh:

A smart bet might have been to push Daredevil at the time based on his much Eastman and Laird played homage, but 90s Marvel was wild.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hey Siri: Make me undesirieable.

I’m sorry but I can’t do that.

:smug:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also it makes me irrationality angry when people talk about the Juggernaut as if he is a mutant.

:argh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dialhforhero posted:

Also it makes me irrationality angry when people talk about the Juggernaut as if he is a mutant.

:argh:

Hasn't he been retconned into a mutant as well as having the gem? I know in at least some other versions (movie universe) he's a mutant...maybe also in the Ultimate Universe?

But I thought even in the main 616 verse he got powers, or only survived having the gem because of powers?

But I'll agree that at the time of that ad, I'm 99% sure he wasn't classified as one.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Iirc in any universe he is a mutant he somehow also stops being related to Charles so it’s like he is only a character of opportunity/obligation or something dumb.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pictured: the kid's favorite mutant

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

There's something 90s, buying books about video games without pictures or diagrams.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Sep 8, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

These kinds of books were literally my only exposure to the Saturn. I knew tons of kids with a SNES or N64, some with a PS1, few with an NES or Genesis... but precisely zero with a Saturn

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

I always wondered if game developers intentionally made some objectives so obscure that you'd need to buy a strategy guide to get them.
Cases in point, that fuckin' tornado from Castlevania II, or, similarly, the waterfall door from Earthbound.

I know I never would have 100%'d Ocarina of Time without this ancient tome:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whenever I got dragged to the mall, I'd pass time by going to the book shop and reading these.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Whenever I got dragged to the mall, I'd pass time by going to the book shop and reading these.
I own the red one. Got it at a book fair in like 89 or 90.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lotron posted:

I always wondered if game developers intentionally made some objectives so obscure that you'd need to buy a strategy guide to get them.
Cases in point, that fuckin' tornado from Castlevania II, or, similarly, the waterfall door from Earthbound.

Oh man i had forgot about those mother loving spiders

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

maybe i'm just a square but what's "def" mean in this context? like it's not mos def....

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

appropriatemetaphor posted:

maybe i'm just a square but what's "def" mean in this context? like it's not mos def....

It was one of the million synonyms in the 90s for "Excellent"

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Oh poo poo, I used to check these out from the library and read about games I couldn't play. Monster Party is the big one I remember daydreaming about. Not a great game!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What do you think Def means in Mos Def?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Or like in the classic Beastie Boys track, "the girlie was def and wanted to go".

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I still have my NES Game Genie and codebook. I guess that's pretty 1990s as Wikipedia says they were only made for NES, SNES, Game Boy, Genesis and Game Gear.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lotron posted:

I just recently played through Ocarina of time on my 3DS after digging it out the closet for the first time in like 10 years or so. Game was still fun, but no way I bothered with them drat skultulas once I had enough for the 500 rupee wallet. I also forgot to get the ice arrows, I just hosed off and beat the game. Water temple still mega loving sucks even with the QOL improvements over the original. Still was pretty fun and mostly holds up today. Would love for it to get a complete overhaul though instead of just a remaster.

Gonna fire up Majoras Mask 3D later today, really can’t wait to play that again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lotron posted:

I don't think they were doing that for the NES/SNES, but there's no way they weren't for some later systems.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
They have been doing complete overhauls though.

Literally every game after has been an Ocarina clone. Twilight Princess was perhaps the most obvious.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I wish I knew what NIntendo "omnibus" strategy guide my brother had when I was a kid. It wasn't one of those "How to win at Nintendo Games" books posted just above, it was some other brand.

I just remember seeing screenshots and strategies for a LOT of games that, to 8-10 year old me, looked REALLY cool but I'm sure were absolute dogshit.

Off the top of my head, it had stuff on Crystalis, I want to say some Bugs Bunny game? And some game where the character sprite is a GIANT purple axe-wielding dude.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

And some game where the character sprite is a GIANT purple axe-wielding dude.

Astyanax?

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wish I knew what NIntendo "omnibus" strategy guide my brother had when I was a kid. It wasn't one of those "How to win at Nintendo Games" books posted just above, it was some other brand.

I just remember seeing screenshots and strategies for a LOT of games that, to 8-10 year old me, looked REALLY cool but I'm sure were absolute dogshit.

That was kind of the case with any video game mag of the day (Nintendo Power, GamePro, etc.) since it was the main way most kids and pre-teens got their info. I'm sure many of us in this thread drooled over some game in those pages but have played it since and sat there going "drat ____ year old me, you were a fool."

It didn't help, though, that sometimes the mags gambled on games that just fizzled on release.

I remember Nintento Power spending 3-6 months hyping up the OG Battletoads only for so many players to abandon the game after level 1.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The magazine was really sad during the N64/GCN days when it was several months between tentpole releases and you'd see them have to feign excitement over these absolute garbage tier offerings. I think they evantually apologized for it and had a format change where they could be at least a little critical.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I own the red one. Got it at a book fair in like 89 or 90.

I had the red and yellow ones (first and third volumes, respectively). They weren’t always super helpful tbh, without pictures to show what the guy was describing. And his ratings were sometimes questionable; I think he said the first Mega Man was better than Mega Man 2 on a few metrics, like graphics, which just isn’t true.

Naked Man Punch posted:

I remember Nintento Power spending 3-6 months hyping up the OG Battletoads only for so many players to abandon the game after level 1.

If you are interested in podcasts, they discuss Battletoads on this week’s episode of How Did This Get Played. They even mention the comics in Nintendo Power.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

saw this today on twitter, at the time this was exactly my poo poo but now it's just...kind of bleak

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Naked Man Punch posted:

I remember Nintendo Power spending 3-6 months hyping up the OG Battletoads only for so many players to abandon the game after level 3.

Fixed. I was finally able to get past that level with excessive use of save states and watching YouTube vids.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vice: Project Doom is one of the big hidden gems of the NES. Definitely worth a second look.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

meat glitter posted:

saw this today on twitter, at the time this was exactly my poo poo but now it's just...kind of bleak

The realization that these were written by adults was sure something alright.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Naked Man Punch posted:

I've beaten the PAL version :smuggo:

It took a lot of attempts over several weeks, but I've done it :shepface:.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Oh poo poo, I used to check these out from the library and read about games I couldn't play. Monster Party is the big one I remember daydreaming about. Not a great game!

What do you think Def means in Mos Def?

lol well i really am a big square because i've only ever heard people use it as short for definitely. i guess in my head i was thinking a synonym for 'for sure'.

i thought 'deck' was the one that meant cool so no way def could be the same.

oh well glad to know in 2020 i'm finally def and with these new slangs.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

meat glitter posted:

My wife still talks about Devon Sawa and I guess I see it but :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I had both of those. I got them on family trips because I couldn't have a Nintendo so I got those so I could read about nintendo! The 90s were a dark age.

Nintendo Power was frustrating because it was always talking up everything being released. Everything was an instant classic if it was given a cover story and the fact they put reviews in trick you into thinking they're being objective. Also, as time went on, the magazine had this weird edge to it, stuff that's mentioned in the AVGN review of it, like gross ads and letter responses being real assholely to the readers.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The realization that these were written by adults was sure something alright.

i didn't even think of it like that but yes, that makes it much worse. i dont know why but for some reason ive always had this mental image of a group of 12 year old girls in power suits sitting in cubicles making these on those like, candy colored transparent plastic macs. anyway, i was more depressed by how young these boys are and how time is a real bitch - JTT turned out ok as far as i know but like, andrew keegan started a cult and j brandis big time killed himself before he made it to 30. i dunno who "joey matt and andy" are but i hope they made it through being child heartthrobs ok too.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The Spawn movie soundtrack is possibly the peak 90's thing ever. Hey lety's take a bunch of electronic artists like Orbital and add metal bands like Korn and hey presto there ya go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzQLpJWt4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Dreadwroth2 posted:

The Spawn movie soundtrack is possibly the peak 90's thing ever. Hey lety's take a bunch of electronic artists like Orbital and add metal bands like Korn and hey presto there ya go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzQLpJWt4A

The Crow soundtrack also.

Just because one is peak 90s does not mean there isn't another peak somewhere else :science: