Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I guess it's just gotta be fetishists watching the show at this point. It would explain a lot of the modern plots.

poo poo, I think it actually does explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Plan Z posted:

I guess it's just gotta be fetishists writing the show at this point. It would explain a lot of the modern plots.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The simpsons outlived the venture bros lmao. Don't let anybody lecture you about meritocracy, kids

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The biggest travesty is we now have stuff like BoJack Horseman going up against The Simpsons and The Simpsons still wins.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Clearly there needs to be another claymation Easter

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

poo poo yeah

E: still the association I have with “lowrider”

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
In the episode where they visit the ranch, I remembered there being a joke where "cookie" had died by the end of the week and they pan over to his grave, but this scene isn't in reruns or on frinkiac. Am I insane?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

She's only 70?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She looks like she hasn’t aged a day

But her voice has aged 170 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I read that as claymation Frasier

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

The simpsons outlived the venture bros lmao. Don't let anybody lecture you about meritocracy, kids

Well this was a great way to find that out.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Simpson’s couch gags don’t have context, though?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Twitter "no context" accounts are never funny, rarely sufficiently decontextualize to "count", and generally suck rear end.

Trying to complain about a specific example of them is like saying "the latest episode of the simpsons sucked"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

it's not about why she came to the conclusion that it was BBM. the issue is that she decided to write that on a piece of paper for some reason

Isn't this a detective fiction trope? The detective gathers all the suspects to give a big speech on who's the one what done it that begins "I hold in my hand the name of the killer" etc.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Isn't this a detective fiction trope? The detective gathers all the suspects to give a big speech on who's the one what done it that begins "I hold in my hand the name of the killer" etc.

Not one that I'm familiar with. Can you think of some examples?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like it might be in old serial types like Charlie Chan but idk.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm familiar with the "detective gathers everyone together" trope, but they then go round the room explaining why each person was under suspicion and why they couldn't have done it, before accusing the least likely person and producing the evidence. I can't think of an example where the detective calls the suspects together and announces the killer from a piece of paper they've not looked at and apparently didn't write.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
it’s a pretty standard poirotesque thing yeah but i don’t think he’s ever written anything down

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i mean, there have been a few that had a character write down the name of the perpetrator on a piece of paper and then someone ELSE opens it and reads it, but that's the closest i can think of.

my fairly straightforward way of solving the lisa conundrum would be simply be to replace the random piece of paper with her opening a notebook showing some very convoluted info with flowcharts and newspaper clippings a la charlie from it's always sunny. would have been more effective that way

Milo and POTUS posted:

i'll be honest, i never thought the VB would last as long as it did. i mean, SEVENTEEN years for an adult swim show? that's miraculous in itself.

(i mean yeah i know they only did like 2 episodes per year but still)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s pathetic AS can’t even give VB a proper finale with all the trash they spend money on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

a piece of paper they've not looked at and apparently didn't write.

I don't know where you guys are getting this part from. She wrote it down on the paper to make the reveal more dramatic, or maybe a magic xylophone wrote it idk.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I know it's come up in this thread before but the drag episode is on the site where I stream simpsons episodes while I work and goddamn it's just so awful. It has this truly abrasive, awful song and then it transitions into this part where a french narrator is talking about the ennui of the Simpson women and an accordion is playing? then Lisa fantasizes about eating lunch with Gil, Skinner's mom, the old guy with a beard, and the french narrator keeps...going? what the gently caress is even going on? this is more baffling and offensive than the moe's rag episode

i love this joke though

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 9, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Not gonna lie -- I thought Venture Bros went off in like 2009.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not gonna lie -- I thought Venture Bros went off in like 2009.

VB was always weird, because you would have several years between seasons. Not like they would skip a year, they'd skip like 3.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

VB was always weird, because you would have several years between seasons. Not like they would skip a year, they'd skip like 3.

It's very surprising it was canceled because it was cheap as poo poo. It took 3 years to make a season because the two creators would do a lot of the work themselves (outside of actual animation), which they did because they're control freaks but it also saved a lot of money.

Anyway people were speculating that it's a legal maneuver to "cancel" it, and it will come back on HBO Max with a different name.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
AT&T is taking the axe to WB, they fired a ton of people from DC Comics and almost sold off WB Games until someone told them that video games make money.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Frog Act posted:

I know it's come up in this thread before but the drag episode is on the site where I stream simpsons episodes while I work and goddamn it's just so awful. It has this truly abrasive, awful song and then it transitions into this part where a french narrator is talking about the ennui of the Simpson women and an accordion is playing? then Lisa fantasizes about eating lunch with Gil, Skinner's mom, the old guy with a beard, and the french narrator keeps...going? what the gently caress is even going on? this is more baffling and offensive than the moe's rag episode

I just looked this episode up and apparently it's intended to be an Amelie parody? Not that I'm defending it, the show seemed to lose the ability to do good parodies and pastiches long ago. Rosebud first aired in 1993!

Speaking of the Moe's rag episode, I've never seen it but I've seen it top plenty of "worst episode" lists before. Why is that, is it just an out-of-nowhere strange episode that's strange just for the sake of it (and also not funny doing it)?

quote:

i love this joke though

Bart's moon party from outer space got a giggle from me upon first viewing (especially R2-D2's fingering skill) but then I realised that it was one of the few gags of its kind in the entire episode, the one where they come to England if I'm not mistaken. My dad loves the "CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY GAVE GIGGS A YELLOW CARD IN THE BOX?" joke as well but eh, I feel like that one would have been better without Homer then claiming that he has no idea what he just said.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

Twitter "no context" accounts are never funny, rarely sufficiently decontextualize to "count", and generally suck rear end.

Trying to complain about a specific example of them is like saying "the latest episode of the simpsons sucked"

This is a pet peeve of mine that I get irrationally angry about. "no context" doesn't mean "random" or "arbitrary"! You take things out if context to make them funny or absurd!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
nuts. I just caught up on Venture Brothers last month.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Speaking of the Moe's rag episode, I've never seen it but I've seen it top plenty of "worst episode" lists before. Why is that, is it just an out-of-nowhere strange episode that's strange just for the sake of it (and also not funny doing it)?

That's part of it, but the execution is so clumsy that you kind of feel embarrassed for everyone involved. It's essentially one of those three story episodes with the framing device being the bar rag is telling you all these stories, but then there's also a completely unrelated b-plot about Bart and Milhouse which is also unfunny and terrible because nobody on the writing staff knows how to write for Bart anymore. They completely break the format of the episode by including this, and you can imagine the quality of the short stories when summing their length up along with their framing scenes still resulted in the writers needing to pad for time with a b-plot.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

It's very surprising it was canceled because it was cheap as poo poo. It took 3 years to make a season because the two creators would do a lot of the work themselves (outside of actual animation), which they did because they're control freaks but it also saved a lot of money.

Anyway people were speculating that it's a legal maneuver to "cancel" it, and it will come back on HBO Max with a different name.

I always thought it was one of the more expensive shows (compared to other things on AS anyway). Did that just change after they changed how they animated it?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

PostNouveau posted:

This is the only thing that makes sense to me, considering the public responses of both AS and Publick/Hammer. Especially considering they got the news while writing the last season, after getting renewed.

Side note, friend of mine storyboarded on the last season and said the work/pay factor was grueling. I know Titmouse doesn't pay great unless another entity is producing, and CN pays... fine? What I mean is, I don't suspect cost was at the heart of the matter. It could be the heads at Titmouse/CN changed recently since new higher-ups tend to raze the establishments of their predecessors in order to assert authority (I am not kidding), but I've yet to look into it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pooch516 posted:

I always thought it was one of the more expensive shows (compared to other things on AS anyway). Did that just change after they changed how they animated it?

I mean, you might be right because most of the Adult Swim shows look like complete and total garbage. It probably is expensive compared to like 12 Oz. Mouse

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Das Boo posted:

It could be the heads at Titmouse/CN changed recently since new higher-ups tend to raze the establishments of their predecessors in order to assert authority (I am not kidding), but I've yet to look into it.

Mike Lazzo retired at the end of 2019. And the whole office has been working from home since March. So yeah, alot is different now, especially for the adult swim branch of things.

I don't have a single positive thing to say about Venture Bros though, so I have no idea when the timeline of whatever lines up with the irl stuff. :shrug:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hrist posted:

Mike Lazzo retired at the end of 2019. And the whole office has been working from home since March. So yeah, alot is different now, especially for the adult swim branch of things.

I don't have a single positive thing to say about Venture Bros though, so I have no idea when the timeline of whatever lines up with the irl stuff. :shrug:

Aha, then that adds to the likelihood! Yeah, it takes a few months for the wheels to set in motion and one of the writers said they'd been sitting on the news for a couple of months now. I know when we had a head change at Nick in late 2018, a bunch of shows got axed in the first part of 2019. Wildly surprising stuff too, like Glitch Techs had had full studio support up until then.

As far as I can tell, animation is one of the few industries not terribly impacted by covid. There's not a lot of face to face necessary, and even before all this I'd already had teammates I never met working from different continents. Hell, I just interviewed for a position at Titmouse with the expectation of entirely remote work. I super don't think it was a financially-grounded decision.

Anyway, just my speculation and some gossip!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Watched a season 25 episode that was ~okay, had a good albert brooks part, but notably also contains a character that the "big mouth" show appears to have ripped off.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

12 Oz. Mouse

now that's a name i haven't heard in a long time..

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Somewhere, there was a preview of the Treehouse of Horror this year, which made it's way to the wiki:

quote:

1. Opening segment: Homer will be the only one not to wear a mask, it will be about the 2020 Elections.
2. Into the Homerverse: We'll see all different versions of Homer from different dimensions. Kent Brockman reports they'll terrorize the town, and there will be six of them.
3. Toy Gory: It will be a parody of Toy Story.
4. Be Kind, Rewind: It will be a spoof of the 2008 comedy Be Kind Rewind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

Somewhere, there was a preview of the Treehouse of Horror this year, which made it's way to the wiki:

So we have a "parody" of 2020, and movies from 2018, 1995, and 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Toy Story I can understand because the franchise is an institution and very popular still to this day. But I don't think there's quite as much love for Be Kind Rewind out there, even if a horror version might be kind of interesting if done well (it won't be).

EDIT: The election bit will be cringey bad and will probably be a poll option in a future version of this thread.