Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I want to know more about Horace Hogan.

No you dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CobiWann posted:

This is more of a "refresh my memory" question, but how did WWE try to transfer the "YES" chant to the Big Show?

Bryan was the lead in the feud against The Authority at the time, Big Show was his kind-of partner but was also beholden to Stephanie so he played the distraught pseudo-face which the WWE hoped would get him crowd sympathy, and after Shawn Michaels turned heel to screw Bryan for like the third show in a row on the following Raw they just had the Wyatt family randomly attack Bryan backstage to kick him into a different feud and did the same exact main event Authority angle they'd been doing for months with Bryan except Big Show took his place. There wasn't any finesse or in-canon reason, they just had Show start doing the Yes chant as an anti-authority symbol because they were convinced the crowd cared about the chant more than Bryan and they could give it to anyone. John Cena briefly did the Yes chant. They at one point had Big Show lead the crowd in a Yes chant for Daniel Bryan's surgical recovery and then actually used the footage in an ad for the WWE Network. They basically just used it for whatever and gave it to whomever under the assumption the fans didn't really care.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

CobiWann posted:

This is more of a "refresh my memory" question, but how did WWE try to transfer the "YES" chant to the Big Show?

They had him come out and do a "send Daniel your love" promo and then filmed the reaction and edited it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They also tried to SI SI SI SI thing going with Alberto del Rio

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I just remember how badly the Big Show feud with Randy Orton went. After they realized that they couldn't just make Big Show the new "YES!" guy, they had their match end with Orton punting Show while Show was entering the ring.

The next night on Raw, Big Show was suffering from dizziness during one match.

A few weeks later, Big Show was in a commercial, dancing around in a diaper.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Is this the most pathetic stable in wrestling history? (I'm not counting Norton because anything with Norton is automatically the tremendous thing in wrestling).

They actually stood up to Hogan and the rest of the actual stars when the Wolfpac and Hollywood reunited, so I'm gonna say no

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm trying to think of other contenders. I will say that it seems unfair to include full-on jobber stables (JOB Squad, etc.), and also something like X Factor where you were supposed to hate them for the HEAT because it seems too obvious.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There was a really bad stable that was Slater, Bo Dallas and a few other job guys. There’s also the new nexus and corrrre

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Horace wrestled in FMW as CPA back when Mike Awesome was there, and shows up on a lot of the Tokyopop FMW tapes. Seeing the Hulkster's nephew getting stabbed with ninja weapons and thrown into barbed wire and stuff is pretty weird, but he took part in some fun brawls.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

I remember his glorious run as part of the NWO B-Team, but a cursory search reveals so much more about him:

1990: A young Michael Bollea makes his debut in Florida as Horace Boulder, Hulk Hogan's Nephew.

1991: Horace Boulder goes to FMW, where he frequently tags with The Gladiator (Mike Awesome, aka Hulk Hogan's cousin.) and Super Titan (Rick Bogner/Fake Razor Ramon). The team of Horace and Gladiator put over the rookie team of Chris Jericho and Lance Storm repeatedly during this period. Just weeks before leaving FMW at the end of 1992, Horace does the honors for Japanese Death Match Legend Dr. Luther, who would take Horace's spot in the stable with Gladiator/Titan.

1993: Horace (as Axe Boulder) teams with Hercules Hernandez in NJPW for two weeks. Then he gets his shot at the big time when he signs to WWF and is put under a mask as The Predator. Unless the famous film monster (or the actual predators WWF has signed over the years), he doesn't have much luck and spends most of the first eight months of 1993 jobbing to Jim Brunzell, Jim Powers, The Brooklyn Brawler and El Matador Tito Santana at house shows. He leaves the company in September.

1994: Horace wrestles on a couple of spot shows that Mike Awesome is on.

1995: Horace gets a try out match I guess at an ECW show in Orlando in Janaury. He goes by the confusing name "Prey of the Dead" and loses to Kendall Windham. He spends the rest of 1995-6 back in FMW.

1996: Horace Boulder gets a WCW try-out, beating Jerry Lynn in three minutes. Then he doesn't wrestle for another fifteen months.

1998: Horace does one more quick tour of FMW before joining up with WCW full time in April. Billed simply as "Horace" he joins the Flock and did very little until October, when Hulk Hogan revealed on Nitro that Horace is actually his nephew and invites him to join the New World Order. Horace accepts and the Hulkster beats the poo poo out of him with a chair to prove how vicious he is and how he is capable of murdering his nephew, so imagine what he will do to the Ultimate Warror at Halloween Havoc!

Then at Halloween Havoc, Horace attacks the Warrior and joins NWO Hollywood anyway. In early 1999 when the two feuding sides of the NWO reunited after the Fingerpoke of Doom, the saga of the NWO B-Team began.

Then a few months later it stopped. Later Terry "Hulk" "FUNB" Bollea "Hogan" feuded with the New Blood (primarily Mike Awesome and Billy Kidman), Horace was loyal at his uncle's side. Or he was!

May 10, 2000: Bischoff books Horace versus Konnan in a match where if Horace loses, he's fired. Then the match is changed to Horace vs. Kidman with Hulk Hogan banned from ringside. Bischoff then changes it to a No DQ match, allowing like five men to swarm on Horace and pin him, but Bischoff declares before that it's not actually a firing match, but an "opportunity to join the New Blood" match.

May 15, 2000 Nitro Bischoff floats an Indecent Proposal to Horace: turn on his uncle and join the New Blood, and Bischoff will let him make out with Billy Kidman's girlfriend Torrie Wilson. Horace agrees to the terms backstage, turning heel. Bischoff then books a three way match between Hulk, Horace, and Kidman, but when the match begins, Horace is working as a unit with his uncle, turning face.

Bischoff runs in and yells at Horace, who slaps him. Bischoff calls on the Filthy Animals to come in and take out the Hogans, but their FUNB power is so strong they easily dispatch of all five members (including Platinum Blonde Rey Mysterio wearing a "BOOTY HUNTER" t-shirt) as what definitely looks like a college kid in blackface to cosplay as the Rock in the front row of Nitro looks on approvingly.

But then Torrie Wilson comes out and Horace gets so horny that he hits his uncle over the head with a chair and pins him, joining the New Blood and turning heel again.

May 17, 2000: Horace is accompanied to the ring for his match against Uncle Hulk by Torrie, in a match he quickly loses despite Kidman's interference. After the match Hulk Hogan teases punching Torrie, but instead kisses her. She enjoys it!

May 22, 2000: The Kidcam shows Torrie giving Horace a massage, which enrages Kidman because she's "enjoying it" so he bursts in and demands a match against Horace with Torrie as the special guest referee.

Horace is beating Kidman until Hulk Hogan comes out and beats them both up and puts the unconscious Kidman on top of the unconscious Horace and gets Torrie into counting the pin. He calls them all pieces of poo poo and challenges Kidman to another PPV match.

May 24, 2000: Bischoff is mad that Torrie is causing friction between Kidman and Horace, so he books them in a tag team match against Kronik. The two New Bloodsters appear to still be feuding until SWERVE, Horace pretends like he's going to hit his tag partner with a chair, but hits his opponent instead!

May 29, 2000: Kidman has a tune-up match for the PPV against Sting. Vampiro runs in to hit Sting with a blowtorch to allow Kidman to pick up the win. Hulk Hogan comes in and beats up both Kidman and Vampiro, then briefly gets beat up by Kidman/Vampiro/The Cat/Bischoff/Horace until Kronik come down to even the odds, at which point the babyfaces kill everyone.

May 31, 2000: Kidman and Horace are put in a handicap match against Sting, where they're still fighting over Torrie. Sting taps out Kidman. Mike Awesome runs in to calm down the two men, and announcers note how Torrie seems into Mike Awesome.

June 5, 2000: Hulk Hogan transforms into Hollywood Hogan for some sort of swerve in his tune-up match against Horace. He beats Horace, then Kidman runs in and he beats up Kidman too.

June 6, 2000: Kidman manages to beat Major Stash/Van Hammer with massive amounts of cheating by Horace. Kidman asks Torrie to forgive him for being a jerk after the match, and she slaps him.

June 11, 2000: Horace is the guest referee for the Hulk Hogan/Billy Kidman blow-off match. In this match, Torrie Wilson turns face by rejecting both of her evil boyfriends and running in to give Hulk Hogan some brass knucks and later to low blow Kidman. Horace calls the match down the middle (you know, except ignoring Hulk using brass knucks and an outside person punching Kidman in the nuts) and turns face again, reuniting with his uncle.

June 12, 2000: Turns out Billy Kidman is a face now too! And now all three of them are united in opposition to the evil Corporation group which is now Bischoff AND Russo with Jarrett and Goldberg as their respective heel monsters. Horace gets hit with a guitar backstage, which means Kidman has to take the role of babyface referee for the Jarrett/Hollywood Hogan match. It goes to a no contest when Goldberg runs in, obviously.

June 14, 2000: Kidman cuts a promo to make it clear he actually still hates Hulk and Horace, but he hates Bischoff more. Kidman gets a world title shot against Jarrett, but loses when all of the Filthy Animals turn on him.

June 19, 2000: Nitro opens with a Horace Hogan promo, which leads to him challenging Goldberg to a match!
[quote]Goldberg, you can come to the ring stompin', snortin', spittin', sweatin', flexin' those big muscles of yours... it don't MAKE A DAAAAMN TO ME! If you think I'm afraid to take a bullet for Hollywood Hogan, you're absolutely crazy. But there's only one problem: tonight, I'm firing the bullets right at you!" Goldberg then beats Horace in under three minutes even though Horace is able to use a chair in the match for some reason. This was Horace's final Nitro appearance.

June 28, 2000: Horace Hogan gets a world title shot against Jeff Jarrett and loses clean in under five minutes. This is his last WCW appearance. A couple of weeks later Jarrett "lays down" for Hogan, and both Hogans are out of WCW.

2000-2001: Horace bangs around a bit wrestling for WWE, NWA Florida, XWF, and FMW.

2002: The Hulkster gets his nephew a developmental deal with WWE, which lasts about five months and peaked with him losing a couple of dark matches. His lone win on the main roster in this era features him teaming with fellow rookie John Cena (and Val Venis) in a winning effort against Albert, Bull Buchanan, and Mike Awesome.

Then he retired and went into construction, apparently!

And that is more than you ever needed to know about Horace Hogan or 2000 WCW booking.

2002: Hulkster gets his nephew a developmental deal with WWE,

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Why did he chose the name Horace, especially when he started as Horace Boulder

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Neodoomium posted:

Why did he chose the name Horace, especially when he started as Horace Boulder
I assume the thought process was "I can't use Hulk Hogan (or Hulk or Hogan) because WWF might come after me, but my uncle went by Terry Boulder, so I can use Boulder, and Horace starts with the same letter as Hulk and Hogan, so...."

Please note that this isn't really how intellectual property law works and I don't think early 1990s WWF could/would have gone after him for calling himself Horace Hogan. Randy Hogan was wrestling on TV for Crockett just a year earlier. I did just learn that when Randy Hogan went to WWF in the early 1990s, he did a couple dozen jobber matches under the name "Scott Colton", the legal name of the then-child Colt Cabana. Has Colt ever talked about sharing a name with a WWF jobber from his childhood?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

I assume the thought process was "I can't use Hulk Hogan (or Hulk or Hogan) because WWF might come after me, but my uncle went by Terry Boulder, so I can use Boulder, and Horace starts with the same letter as Hulk and Hogan, so...."

Please note that this isn't really how intellectual property law works and I don't think early 1990s WWF could/would have gone after him for calling himself Horace Hogan. Randy Hogan was wrestling on TV for Crockett just a year earlier. I did just learn that when Randy Hogan went to WWF in the early 1990s, he did a couple dozen jobber matches under the name "Scott Colton", the legal name of the then-child Colt Cabana. Has Colt ever talked about sharing a name with a WWF jobber from his childhood?

Ace Steel did a gig for WWE as one of the random schlubs that Armando would pull out of the crowd to get murdered by Umaga, and introduced himself as Scott Colton. THAT was definitely a rib.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Is this the most pathetic stable in wrestling history? (I'm not counting Norton because anything with Norton is automatically the tremendous thing in wrestling).

It gave us ScoopThis's "Adventures of the nWo B-Team," which was funny enough (to me, as a young teenager) to at least put them above X-Factor and a bunch of TNA stables.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

nWo B-team was better than say League of Nations even if you do take out Norton

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I feel like tying to process that entire Horace post, like actually trying to follow and understand it, would leave me a blubbering heap of madness.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

“Tell ’em what your whole name is, tell ’em! Wait a minute! Shoot with this thing, and tell the world what your real name is! Is there anybody in here that doesn’t understand what that means? This is blood. My brother was his father. His dead father, my bread... my blood, god rest his soul, is his father, do you understand that? The blood in his veins came from my brother’s body. The same blood that’s in Horace runs through my veins.”

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Custard Undies posted:

Was it John Morrison that break danced into a pile of streamers? Or another wrestler.

Thats what I always think of when I hear talk about streamers being thrown into the ring.

Dragon Kid would do that before Korakuen banned streamers for whatever reason.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I'd say Dragon Gate's Deep Drunkers or Antias. DD was incredibly weak, had zero credible main eventers in the group, and nobody cared about them, which was a problem as they were the main heel faction in the company at the time. At least they had a sick theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwBbrlkw2jI

Antias was a short lived stop gap between the two amazing heel factions of Verserk and current top heel faction in Dragon Gate R.E.D. Antias was really weird. Verserk was formed by three of the company's top stars of Shingo Takagi, Naruki Doi, and YAMATO, who held the top belt and the tag belts when it formed, but by the time Antias came around, Doi and YAMATO had turned face, and Shingo randomly cut a promo where he declared he was going to be taking a back seat to "the younger guys" which meant T-Hawk, Eita, and El Lindaman. T-Hawk was... not over and in no position to be the top heel in the company, and both Eita and El Lindaman had been cut of multiple times at the altar of T-Hawk's failed push prior to this. So the faction that was supposed to be the main heel group had no heat and no real credibility because nobody was into T-Hawk as a top guy and it felt forced as hell. This all culminated like a month into Antias' run where Doi and YAMATO cut a promo on the group complaining about the dumb new name after they had worked so hard to come up with a cool name like Verserk. T-Hawk responded by cutting a promo where he repeatedly referred to Antias as Verserk, each time to derisive laughter from the crowd, which pretty much killed any potential the unit had dead. Antias died a quick death a couple months later when T-Hawk and El Lindaman left Dragon Gate with CIMA and Shingo announced he was leaving shortly after, leading to Eita taking over and turning the group into the for more successful R.E.D.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Aside from Hogan, Hall and Nash, which wrestlers do you most associate the NWO with? I think guys like Steiner and Bischoff are probably the most recognised outside the original trio.

chono

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I feel like tying to process that entire Horace post, like actually trying to follow and understand it, would leave me a blubbering heap of madness.
It's not bad until you hit the New Blood, parsing the match where the swerve was Horace Hogan did not turn on his mismatched partner he was feuding with before/during/immediately after the match nearly broke me too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Aside from Hogan, Hall and Nash, which wrestlers do you most associate the NWO with? I think guys like Steiner and Bischoff are probably the most recognised outside the original trio.

Bischoff is the big one, by a country mile. Giant is probably next for how he infamously kept bouncing in and out of the stable. Macho Man just because his black and white NWO gear was pretty recognizable. That's about it honestly. I barely even associate Syxx with the NWO compared to him being Xpac.

Far more than the lesser membership of B-graders, I associate the NWO with the wrestlers that fought them and actually managed to stand out somewhat for their efforts. That would be: Flair and Arn, Lex Luger, Roddy Piper, DDP and Sting. And at the outside edge Goldberg, although I don't really think of him as being the NWO's enemy even though two of his most famous matches were explicitly against the NWO. They'd already lost their invincible aura by the time he was fighting them.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The rosters from WCW/NWO Revenge

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Lamest stable has to be the Million Dollar Corporation in '95.

Fake Undertaker, Nikolai Volkoff, IRS, Bigelow, Tatanka, King Kong Bundy, 1-2-3 Kid, Supreme Fighting Machine Kama and XANTA KLAUS

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Best Stable is any WCW/WWE Team Canada's - never saw TNA

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
So I picked up an old copy of SvR 2009 and I'm playing Ray and Batista's "Road to Wrestlemania" and the game is talking about and showing clips from when they were a tag team in real life and talking about how they won the championship together . What I want to know is when did this happen , were their matches any good, how did they break up, was the break up feud any good if they had one, and are there any good videos that cover them together?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Mike Awesome, aka Hulk Hogan's cousin.

Something I've been wondering about - how well-known was it that Mike Awesome was related to Hogan?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Yall forgot that Horace has a 5-stars match.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Yall forgot that Horace has a 5-stars match.

Is this similar or different to the way Johnny Ace has 5-star matches (mid-90s Japanese tag team work)?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

harperdc posted:

Is this similar or different to the way Johnny Ace has 5-star matches (mid-90s Japanese tag team work)?

It was an FMA match also featuring Onita, El Hijo Del Santo, Negro Casas and Tarzan Goto. Let's just say that Horace probably wasn't the workhorse.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=10395

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qcs3p

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Max Coveri posted:

Fake Undertaker, Nikolai Volkoff, IRS, Bigelow, Tatanka, King Kong Bundy, 1-2-3 Kid, Supreme Fighting Machine Kama and XANTA KLAUS

It's a shame because if they had tightened up to just a few heels or people that turned heel for the money, it could have been a lot better. Drop Volkoff, Bundy, and Xanta Claus, keep IRS in the background and out of the ring, and have them be an actual threat.

And thanks for all the Horace.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lamuella posted:

It was an FMA match also featuring Onita, El Hijo Del Santo, Negro Casas and Tarzan Goto. Let's just say that Horace probably wasn't the workhorace.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Max Coveri posted:

I don't know if that's the worst stable ever but it sure is the most New Generation stable ever, beating out Camp Cornette by a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did Kane ever have a fourth "little guy" tag team partner? Started with X-Pac which was great and got over, then came RVD, and then much later Daniel Bryan.

Also I was blown away by the fact that, at least according to Google, Waltman was actually the biggest of all his little guy tag team partner.s Standards sure have changed.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

NikkolasKing posted:

Did Kane ever have a fourth "little guy" tag team partner? Started with X-Pac which was great and got over, then came RVD, and then much later Daniel Bryan.

Also I was blown away by the fact that, at least according to Google, Waltman was actually the biggest of all his little guy tag team partner.s Standards sure have changed.

He was with The Hurricane for a while.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

He tagged with Al Snow in SMW, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halloween Jack posted:

He tagged with Al Snow in SMW, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Was that when he was Unabomb?

I just like to remember that Kane wrestled as a character named after a domestic terrorist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

forkboy84 posted:

I just like to remember that Kane wrestled as a character named after a domestic terrorist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, so we cancelled our Network subscription a year or two ago and had stopped watching anything but NXT before that, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What the gently caress is with all the dick kicking? I keep seeing results for world championship matches and it seems like there's been at least half a dozen times where one guy just kicked the other in the junk and then proceeded to have a non-match. How the hell is it a thing that keeps happening? Especially in a main event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah. I don't know why you would name a wrestler after a hermit who mailed bombs to people.

There have been several gimmicks ripping off slasher movies, but not a lot based on real-life killers. There has been tasteless stuff like the Truth Commission. I guess actual wrestlers are scummy enough.