Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i hope someone asked that guy what if everyone had really bad aim and just beaned each other and missed the hijacker entirely. wouldn't they feel like a bunch of jerks

Throwing the billiard balls is fuckin stupid. Amateur hour poo poo. Pros put that ball in a sock and go ham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait to turn every flight into an episode of Oz

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

Throwing the billiard balls is fuckin stupid. Amateur hour poo poo. Pros put that ball in a sock and go ham

:hmmyes:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

brace beldon's beefs on twitter are an entertaining spinoff imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

trueanon's the spinoff of his twitter tbh

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

this time its an australian podcaster and some other type of podcaster, their contention is he gives off "creepy abuser vibes" cos he made fun of grad students

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

gh0stpinballa posted:

this time its an australian podcaster and some other type of podcaster, their contention is he gives off "creepy abuser vibes" cos he made fun of grad students

you can't say that and not link them

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

RPZip posted:

you can't say that and not link them

https://twitter.com/orangeasm/status/1303128202630569986?s=19

https://twitter.com/orangeasm/status/1303133574162513920?s=19

the "creepy poo poo":

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1303121568545947648?s=19

"nazbol" has been used 3 or 4 times already

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Sep 8, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"zionist" :hmbol:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i endorse any opportunity to annoy "grad students."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

his own personal twitter (@slampig2012, it's protected) is even better than the Trueanon account, and not just because i've been able to feed him information on which media dumbasses once wrote for The New Inquiry, which we both hate

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oooph look at me, I'm a grad student, you should care about my opinions even though I'm 35 and haven't left school yet

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Troy Queef posted:

his own personal twitter (@slampig2012, it's protected) is even better than the Trueanon account, and not just because i've been able to feed him information on which media dumbasses once wrote for The New Inquiry, which we both hate

ah i sent a follow to that account a while back cos i wanted to see what it was saying in some thread about epstein or something, had no idea it was his

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if i could post his poo poo on here, i would post the video where he displays the hideous amount of follow requests that constantly flood his inbox, many of which are almost certainly the results of Enemy Action.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

hey grad students, maybe you should graduate before you talk!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

grad student is an oxymoron

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
there's a fair chunk of grad students that are exploited to do difficult research to benefit some old dickhead professor while making below the minimum wage in the hopes of getting a real university position (in my field/country anyway).

this is why it's vital to launch your side-hustle podcast by starting incoherent beef with a podcast superstar. chapos have too many denouncers already, smart move to target brace.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

uber_stoat posted:

if i could post his poo poo on here, i would post the video where he displays the hideous amount of follow requests that constantly flood his inbox, many of which are almost certainly the results of Enemy Action.

tell him to be my friend, thanks

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

crepeface posted:

there's a fair chunk of grad students that are exploited to do difficult research to benefit some old dickhead professor while making below the minimum wage in the hopes of getting a real university position (in my field/country anyway).

this is why it's vital to launch your side-hustle podcast by starting incoherent beef with a podcast superstar. chapos have too many denouncers already, smart move to target brace.
fun fact: the partially examined life had an 18 year old british indian communist as their hegel expert in a miniseries discussing the long logic.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

crepeface posted:

I would agree and this makes it weird to see/hear people frequently dunking on grad students as if they're some monolith of rich kids instead of a chunk of labor that has been organizing in larger numbers over the years. Is there something I'm missing or is it just an extension of cursed pmc discourse?

I also don't care about who's mad at who on twitter so lol/rip to anyone trying to fight with the trueanon crew 👁️

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i mean if you're in grad school more likely than not you come from a fairly well off household even if you are being exploited for your labor. they're not mutually exclusive things

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
grad students, undergrads and technicians do 100% of the actual scientific work that goes into journal articles. grad students also do a lot of the actual hands-on teaching of college courses through TA work. all while being paid at a 50% rate because you're only working 20 hours a week, right?? (you're working 50 - 60 hours a week, at best)

that being said, always dunk on mouthy grad students and undergrads. or just on academics in general

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

i mean if you're in grad school more likely than not you come from a fairly well off household even if you are being exploited for your labor. they're not mutually exclusive things

Undoubtedly. I think it's a bummer to see more discourse attacking them on the former rather than focusing on the potential of the latter, since as mentioned universities and such just don't exist without that labor, and that should mean power.

edit: misread that as "more likely" not "more likely than not," like a dumbass. agree more likely, but I know plenty in grad school who took on a fuckload of debt to get that far.

slicing up eyeballs has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Sep 8, 2020

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

So it's basically a red herring (at best) that diverts attention towards something that isn't a real solution.

It's not the ultimate solution, but engaging in planning now addresses near-term needs like building to enable transit and urban infrastructure, plus discouraging the construction of edge suburbs. Housing prices are far from the only issue in play.

Ignoring everything but one issue to spite rich people is a tactic that works better in cspam than real politics.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

what's a well off household? if you even graduate college, you're better off than the average person. the failson who lives in a brooklyn loft paid for by a haliburton executive mother is pretty rare. i think most grad students subsist on some horrible combination of half-scholarships, gig-style jobs, temporary university positions while living at home or being supported by a partner.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
there has never been a more obvious case of jealousy than the hosts of a "Left-MMT podcast", who just released their 13th episode where they read Gramsci and an essay by Amber, getting mad at Brace for "giving off vibes"

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

crepeface posted:

what's a well off household? if you even graduate college, you're better off than the average person. the failson who lives in a brooklyn loft paid for by a haliburton executive mother is pretty rare. i think most grad students subsist on some horrible combination of half-scholarships, gig-style jobs, temporary university positions while living at home or being supported by a partner.

I survived on my grad TA-ship when I was getting my masters and I was living high on the hog at a cool ~14k a year. the only reason I was able to afford my cost of living expenses is because I went to cow coal college out in the middle of the ozarks and my rent was like 400/mo. I couldn't imagine trying to do that in a city without taking out even more loans and going even further into debt.

this is also ignoring the fact that a ton of grad student positions are basically just sourcing slave labor from china/taiwan/india to keep the publication mill running

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

e: actually is there a podcast about nixon

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Sep 8, 2020

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Joementum posted:

there has never been a more obvious case of jealousy than the hosts of a "Left-MMT podcast", who just released their 13th episode where they read Gramsci and an essay by Amber, getting mad at Brace for "giving off vibes"

what

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Joementum posted:

"Left-MMT podcast",

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

envisioning their merch store now: che shirts with krugman face

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

*dong* what do a zionist, an antisemite, a toxic masculinist, and a kurdish freedom fighter have in common? they're all our first guest. "brace" yourselves. im che ryssdal and this. is. marxistplace *doo do doo do do do, doo do doo do do do*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

envisioning their merch store now: che shirts with krugman face

the hammer and circle graph

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

his podcast cohost is a great reminder of why you never talk to anyone about continental philosophy, because the only people who want to talk about it arent worth talking to

pinned

https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1303196818138775555
wow, pithy
https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1302777012059217922
economics, 4/5 economists agree "it's a real thing!"
https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1300650412454813697
https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1300586131575119874

also 5000 tweets about hegel that distill that few month period when youre 20 years old and just read him and think its the most important thing ever written and only you have the secret key to understanding the world, except apparently you're in grad school and do a whole podcast about it

also, check out my new pub, in which i make the argument that the new deal transcended the framing of the context to recast itself as an interpretation thusly, a prior, ex post facto, primo, digiorno: "we live in a society"

https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1298364587566227456

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

5-4 is currently the best left wing podcast that doesn't spend every other episode doing 8th grade english analysis of Verhoeven movies because they don't want to admit they thought the dick-shooting scene was just gnarly and awesome

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

drat, they let you watch Verhoeven movies in 8th grade? what country was this?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

drat, they let you watch Verhoeven movies in 8th grade? what country was this?

America? The place were the only thing that's edited out of Total Recall is the triple tits

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

agreeing with a zegermans post

movie episodes suck because theyre just cheap nostalgia pumps without any more analysis than youtube schlock like rlm. felix' spinoff had initial promise because it was newly airing shows and looking at their relationship to changing psychological and media archetypes of families and men in particular, but after an episode or two it just turned into plot synopses parasocial viewing with guests like every other tinned cast

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The problem is Will and Matt think they're astute film analysts but their knowledge of cinema is pretty fuckin' limited to mainstream Hollywood and action movies and it always falls short into basic, and sometimes wrong, political analysis. The only time the movie episodes work is when they're tearing into terrible right-wing reactionary films like Range 15 or Dinesh D'Souza's output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Breakfast All Day posted:

*dong* what do a zionist, an antisemite, a toxic masculinist, and a kurdish freedom fighter have in common? they're all our first guest. "brace" yourselves. im che ryssdal and this. is. marxistplace *doo do doo do do do, doo do doo do do do*