Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

donoteat posted:

MattY and I have a differing opinion of federalism and the ability of HUD to build build public housing without respect to local zoning and it's blown up into a major subject of twitter housing discourse is the story

You've pissed off a famous idiot, congratulations, you've made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

donoteat posted:

MattY and I have a differing opinion of federalism and the ability of HUD to build build public housing without respect to local zoning and it's blown up into a major subject of twitter housing discourse is the story

haha lmao everything is so stupid

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

apparently mattyg found donoteat's podcast and doesn't like it but i don't know any more than that

what a jerk

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Atrocious Joe posted:

resurrect Crossfire as Mattfire, with Matty and Cushbomb

Two Many Matts: Yggy, Christman, Bruenig and Karp debate policy each week

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

oops too many matts

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I only read like four threads so I'm assuming it was in this one that someone recommended We Hate Movies? It's really good, thanks

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

donoteat posted:

are you the Main Character of Twitter today?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

mattlock but it's the premise from the rutger hauer vehicle deadlock where each matt is fitted with an exploding collar that's triggered by moving a set distance from a collar it's paired with and none of the matts know who's paired with whom

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

donoteat posted:

that's one egg you didn't want to boil imo

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Phone posted:

that's one egg you didn't want to boil imo

lmao it's been 8 hours of incomprehensible wonky dunks now

bernie's housing plan was literally just federal preemption though, I dunno why former bernie guy matty is mad?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
the lord of the rings films are still crazy good though

if this is the new podcast beef then am firmly on lotr is beautiful side

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What if landlords but they didn't own property and worked on building high speed rail to every city in America? I call it workfaire.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vitamin P posted:

the lord of the rings films are still crazy good though

if this is the new podcast beef then am firmly on lotr is beautiful side

Sure, but it feels like cheating, because New Zealand is beautiful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

return of the king is too bloated for me but i love the first two still

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

You forgot Duss

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I don't think MattY wants to be influential in the sense of actually getting things done. But I do think that he desperately craves the "makes u think" sort of reaction from pundits and influential people.

Back in grad school I knew this polisci grad student who loved to be the "unconventional ideas" guy. He wrote a paper for a class about how the ideal way to prevent another 9/11 from happening was to give every passenger on a plane a billiard ball. Because you can't do anything with just 1 billiard ball, but 100 people throwing billiard balls at a hijacker with a knife will knock them out. It's the same energy I get from MattY.

lib arts grad students are morons

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

donoteat posted:

lmao it's been 8 hours of incomprehensible wonky dunks now

bernie's housing plan was literally just federal preemption though, I dunno why former bernie guy matty is mad?

just respond with this

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

return of the king is too bloated for me but i love the first two still

:hmmyes:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

duomo posted:

just respond with this

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

You forgot Duss

Gus Duss of the Duss Brothers

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i started listening to death is around the corner saw it mentioned a page or two back, drat this guy is good i love pynchon and i love tales about US intrigue, this is great. subbed on patreon.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

joepinetree posted:

I don't think MattY wants to be influential in the sense of actually getting things done. But I do think that he desperately craves the "makes u think" sort of reaction from pundits and influential people.

Back in grad school I knew this polisci grad student who loved to be the "unconventional ideas" guy. He wrote a paper for a class about how the ideal way to prevent another 9/11 from happening was to give every passenger on a plane a billiard ball. Because you can't do anything with just 1 billiard ball, but 100 people throwing billiard balls at a hijacker with a knife will knock them out. It's the same energy I get from MattY.

im going to continue on in life believing this is something that, actually, mattY said and no one can stop me

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i really like the billiard ball idea

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

makes more sense than just letting developers build towers as empty investment properties that's for sure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gio posted:

i think chapo got a couple things wrong about matty. i dont think he gives a drat about influencing important people in power to take seriously his dumb ideas. matty was born in the Hot Takes Factory. he’s a contrarian. he just wants to think he’s smarter than everyone else, which is why he comes up with extremely idiosyncratic ideas no one else is thinking of.

This makes a lot of sense and I think we all know how the absolute dumbest decisions always come from the guy who desperately needs to be the Smartest Guy In The Room. Also reminds me of lovely writers who see feedback to their work and hastily change all their plans if anything correctly guesses what's happening next because they need to surprise people.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
YIMBYism as it exists in San Francisco seems to me to be like half the libertarian 'let market solve problem' weirdos that Chapo was making fun of, but it also is just a lot of well meaning people trying to counter rampant NIMBYism.

They support injection centers and homeless shelters that would otherwise just have 1000 local residents at the hearing saying that building the thing in their neighborhood is the greatest travesty of all time

well them and the DSA

dodgeblan has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Sep 7, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

i hope someone asked that guy what if everyone had really bad aim and just beaned each other and missed the hijacker entirely. wouldn't they feel like a bunch of jerks

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

pop quiz hot shot!

just the opening scene of speed but instead on a plane with billiard balls

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

dodgeblan posted:

YIMBYism as it exists in San Francisco seems to me to be like half the libertarian 'let market solve problem' weirdos that Chapo was making fun of, but it also is just a lot of well meaning people trying to counter rampant NIMBYism.

They support injection centers and homeless shelters that would otherwise just have 1000 local residents at the hearing saying that building the thing in their neighborhood is the greatest travesty of all time

well them and the DSA

If they were well-meaning, evictions would bother them more than housing costs in themselves.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

yellow semen

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yglesias's Idea to Make a Billion Yankees

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

dodgeblan posted:

well them and the DSA

at some point you do need more housing, it just needs to come with solid protections for people who already rent there. i feel like rent control is a good way to fight this. yeah you get the psycho libertarians that come along with it but it's not as if the hardcore NIMBY crowd is free and clear of opportunistic landlords preying on everyone either

i'll admit i'm not terribly familiar with what acceptable discourse is on this front but do the left opponents of YIMBYism have any answer to people not having affordable places to rent other than screaming about how people moving in are gentrifiers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

i'll admit i'm not terribly familiar with what acceptable discourse is on this front but do the left opponents of YIMBYism have any answer to people not having affordable places to rent other than screaming about how people moving in are gentrifiers

...public housing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

...public housing

sorry that doesn't count because D.R. Horton and Lennar say they won't support it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every executive from lennar should be executed for putting out that radio jingle fifteen years ago

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I had a temp job entering purchase orders from lennar into a computer once, way back in the halcyon days of the early 2000s when you could call up a staffing agency and get temp work sufficient to cover day-to-day expenses, well that's my story remember to like and subscribe on iTunes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that sounds a lot like Menards

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shipon posted:

I'm going to assume this is an emoji movie situation and Shipon is the literal embodiment of :thunk: come to life, here to grace us with self admitted ignorance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Whoops, I didn't realize that I was 4 pages behind when reading the posts I'm replying to here

Weembles posted:

There's nothing about YIMBY-ism that is agains subsidizing things and there's thing about it that limits it to single-owner people hives like you described. The reason that subsidized housing and rent-control aren't more common isn't because roving gangs of New Urbanists but because the left is just too small or too lovely at politics to get those policies passed.

Blocking bike lanes and granny flats to stop gentrification and preventing cities from building apartments near train stops are easy to do because there are whole cadres of lovely right-wing people who also hate those things and are glad to pretend to be leftists for a day if it gets them what they want. It seems like there are a lot of people who believe that those types of people are actually allies and won't abandon them the moment the words "rent control" come into the conversation.

These things are only relevant to whether one group of well-off people get what they want or another group of well-off people get what they want. YIMBY-ism might make things a bit better for some high income renters relative to people who already own property in an area, but actual low-normal income working class people aren't going to be able to afford the housing either way.

So it's basically a red herring (at best) that diverts attention towards something that isn't a real solution.

MizPiz posted:

You went to school with Meg McArdle?

If it was McArdle her idea would be to hook everyone in a plane to IVs and, if the plane is hijacked, inject them with adrenaline.

Gio posted:

i think chapo got a couple things wrong about matty. i dont think he gives a drat about influencing important people in power to take seriously his dumb ideas. matty was born in the Hot Takes Factory. he’s a contrarian. he just wants to think he’s smarter than everyone else, which is why he comes up with extremely idiosyncratic ideas no one else is thinking of.

When I was a child I had the idea "what if you put a metal thing in a tube lined with magnets and then pushed it with said magnets and made it go THE SPEED OF LIGHT" and upon finding out that this is similar to how particle accelerators worked decided that I must be a genius

Matty is like if you took that feeling and just became more and more confident in it throughout your entire life. Because he was endlessly rewarded for everything he's done during his life, he was never forced to realize that he isn't actually smart. Elon Musk is similar.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i hope someone asked that guy what if everyone had really bad aim and just beaned each other and missed the hijacker entirely. wouldn't they feel like a bunch of jerks

we succesffully kill the hijacker adn the pilot gets back in the controls and starts to descend and then all the balls roll back into the cockpit and kill him