Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Im also one of these people. We can fall into a routine that gives the semblance of not messy but left to our own devices it quickly goes off the rails. My spouse is a saint and stays on me, but when they’re not up to it I slip back almost instantly.

But I’m not like that when I travel, or otherwise limited. Maybe a path towards success would be to limit the things that can cause clutter. Shed clothing or books or paper or whatever. Fewer things means more experiences, etc.

But realize that deep down they’re probably not going to be better alone. You’re always going to need to maintain a low level of bitching about the mess to keep it contained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah exactly I'm anal about putting poo poo away in its defined place at work because no one will be able to find it if it's not in exactly the defined and numbered bin but have a complete inability to initiate or even maintain such a system at home.

I actually remember where everything is in all the clutter, do y'all as well? Is that why we deprioritize organization, because it doesn't offer tangible benefits to a userbase of one?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I like to think of a nicely organized tool cage as a demonstration of chaos in action. The weeks and months that follow are entropy destroying organization, bringing the universe down to a lower level of giving a gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah exactly I'm anal about putting poo poo away in its defined place at work because no one will be able to find it if it's not in exactly the defined and numbered bin but have a complete inability to initiate or even maintain such a system at home.

I actually remember where everything is in all the clutter, do y'all as well? Is that why we deprioritize organization, because it doesn't offer tangible benefits to a userbase of one?

Yeah, my desks at various jobs have been messes but when I clean it up I can’t find a goddamn thing. When it’s just wherever I always remember what I was doing the last time I had it and can find it in a snap. I usually remember stuff by associations, too, so I can put together weird connections in a snap but trying to sit down and memorize is a bad time.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, my desks at various jobs have been messes but when I clean it up I can’t find a goddamn thing. When it’s just wherever I always remember what I was doing the last time I had it and can find it in a snap. I usually remember stuff by associations, too, so I can put together weird connections in a snap but trying to sit down and memorize is a bad time.

Same. I can give you a sheet of paper from 3 months ago in a stack of nothing but oddball papers, but God help you if i clean and organize everything. You'll be waiting hours.

Or rather forever because I will give up entirely, until my desk goes back to its natural state.

I love a clean, super organized tool cabinet at work but every attempt at home lasts about as long as the first time I need more than one tool at a time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I would say a solid quarter of the pieces in my toolchest at home arr sitting in the top tray under the foldout lid instead of nestled in their neat foam cutout trays in the individual draws.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same.

"Hot desks" or shared cubes due to COVID is my nightmare.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
We had a Lt earn* the callsign 'Sparky' when I was working with TACPs. We were doing nighttime Humvee driving and he hadn't had much experience driving them. I gave him a few pointers on do's and don'ts, including making sure to release the parking brake before getting into gear. Sparky gets in his vehicle, I ride shotgun in another with our prior-E firefighter Major, and we go driving off to the start of the course that we're going to be navigating.

The Major pulls neatly into the area where we're parking, and another vehicle pulls in next to us. Suddenly I hear one of the normally super chill JTAC Captains screaming his head off. "Get the gently caress out of the vehicle!" I'm looking around like, Jesus, Captain, what the gently caress has got you so spun up? I climb out to see the Lt's Humvee merrily bouncing toward us with the entire undercarriage on fire. Everyone got out, we put the fire out and the Major begins poking around under the vehicle while we all make Fire Marshall Bill jokes and prepare to grab his legs and pull him out if it catches on fire again.

Turns out the Lt indeed forgot to disengage the parking brake, and at a certain point the brake line ruptured and began leaking hydraulic fluid onto the hot undercarriage, which ignited. We cancelled the night driving and went and got drunk instead. The guys who checked the vehicle out said it wasn't his fault, the brakes on that particular vehicle were crazy worn out and they shouldn't have let anyone use it anyhow.

*In classic TACP tradition, the callsign of 'Sparky' was misleading and had nothing to do with the humvee. The Lt was fairly effeminate and metrosexual. So despite being (as far as I know) straight as an arrow he earned the callsign thanks to the South Park episode with Stan's gay dog. He'd walk down the hallway and random guys would chime in "Sparky! Don't be gay, Sparks!".

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 8, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There’s a commander in my reserve unit who was a prior pilot before going intel. He’s still an airline pilot. He’s this tiny really boring analytical talking wall flower. Anyways apparently his mil call sign was “sex panther” or just “panther”.

Who knows, it’s not like I can go check logs.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I think it was on these forums where someone knew a pilot with the callsign Colt, which turned out to stand for "Comb Over Looks Terrible". That always makes me chuckle when I think about it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s a commander in my reserve unit who was a prior pilot before going intel. He’s still an airline pilot. He’s this tiny really boring analytical talking wall flower. Anyways apparently his mil call sign was “sex panther” or just “panther”.

Who knows, it’s not like I can go check logs.

that's the name of the chemical-warfare-grade cologne in Anchorman, so maybe he smelled real bad one time

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It smells like bigfoot's dick, so he might have had an adventure while camping :colbert:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Missed landnav chat, but it truly staggered me sometimes how bad people were at it. I understand it's a perishable skill, but holy poo poo. The one time I made a really boneheaded move was I mixed up whether to add or subtract when going from magnetic to grid north, which would have been fine if I wasn't in Alaska where the difference was 22° or something. Ended up spending half the allotted time figuring out I was lost and getting myself back to the starting point, shooting the correct azimuth, and heading off in the right direction. Even then I got all 4 of the points with time to spare, and I didn't even have to jog. Some dudes couldn't even find one point on that course.

This was prep for EIB, so you can guess how well the leadership reacted to the results.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I almost never shot an azimuth or kept a pace count if there was easily identifiable terrain features. I usually only check my compass to make sure I'm heading in roughly the right direction.

Terrain association makes land nav really easy. I would miss a lot around me if I was constantly checking my azimuth or counting my pace out.

In the Army Reconnaissance Course one of the first things they do after the land nav class is put you in a LMTV and drop you off in a random spot in the training areas at Fort Benning with nothing but a map and you have to navigate back.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Missed landnav chat, but it truly staggered me sometimes how bad people were at it. I understand it's a perishable skill, but holy poo poo. The one time I made a really boneheaded move was I mixed up whether to add or subtract when going from magnetic to grid north, which would have been fine if I wasn't in Alaska where the difference was 22° or something. Ended up spending half the allotted time figuring out I was lost and getting myself back to the starting point, shooting the correct azimuth, and heading off in the right direction. Even then I got all 4 of the points with time to spare, and I didn't even have to jog. Some dudes couldn't even find one point on that course.

This was prep for EIB, so you can guess how well the leadership reacted to the results.

modern compasses allow you to dial in the declination, but none of them are lensatic so they aren't as accurate

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It smells like bigfoot's dick, so he might have had an adventure while camping :colbert:

It almost certainly has something to do with this.

Nobody gets a cool callsign for being cool. Every cool sounding callsign has a truly hosed up story or it's an acronym for something horrendous, etc.

Pete Mitchell got caught loving a calf or something, for example.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Nobody gets a cool callsign for being cool. Every cool sounding callsign has a truly hosed up story or it's an acronym for something horrendous, etc.

Or it's a play on your name, like "Gasm" Orr.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

I know a RAAF fast jet pilot whose callsign is Bung.

He hosed up opening a beer keg once in pilot school and everyone yelled at him to put the loving bung in it you idiot as they watched their drunken good time piss out all over the floor.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

It's fun to watch the credits for Top Gun and compare the callsigns of the characters to the callsigns of the actual pilots who flew for the flight footage. The characters are all these super cool sounding ones and the real pilots are stuff like "Booger" and "Muffins".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mustang posted:

In the Army Reconnaissance Course one of the first things they do after the land nav class is put you in a LMTV and drop you off in a random spot in the training areas at Fort Benning with nothing but a map and you have to navigate back.

Anyone ever show back up without the truck? "Where's the vehicle? Please tell me you can find your way back to it."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

While mobbing at Dix, my PSG decided that we should come up with cool campaigns for morale.
He got really upset when my truck team was Sweet Pea, Panties O'Hoolihan, and The Cheat. He expected us to pick poo poo like Assassin, Hitman, Ravager, and the like. We took the wind out of his sails.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's fun to watch the credits for Top Gun and compare the callsigns of the characters to the callsigns of the actual pilots who flew for the flight footage. The characters are all these super cool sounding ones and the real pilots are stuff like "Booger" and "Muffins".

Muffins is an insanely cool call sign

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Milo and POTUS posted:

Then you find out he got it because one day he wore some tight pants and had a muffin top.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

is "goose" cool?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

iwentdoodie posted:

Then you find out he got it because one day he wore some tight pants and had a muffin top.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Some of my favorite real life callsigns:

UTAH (UpTight rear end in a top hat)
Yak (lots of drinking, and the inevitable result)
2-Ply (got the shits on a run in the middle of the woods...came home with no socks)
Sock (answered the door wearing one sock)
Zippy (drank more Rip Its and Red Bulls than anyone else I've ever known)
Wimpy (neverending hunt for burgers...naturally he married a vegan)

None of these would make the cut for an 80s movie.

Edit: Somewhere there's a Navy NFO who goes by "Pound Town" or #Town but I don't know the details.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

is "goose" cool?

:honk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

Edit: Somewhere there's a Navy NFO who goes by "Pound Town" or #Town but I don't know the details.

quote:

The story did not come as a complete surprise, according to current and former members who spoke with VTDigger. Jackman, whose call sign was “Snatch,” had a reputation as a ladies man.

This is kinda the wrong thread because if you wouldn't joyride a Fighting Falcon across country to get your end away I don't want to know you.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

An okay call sign: Pimp

An interesting call sign: P.I.M.P.

A wonderful explanation: Pooped in My Pants

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I love a good acronym, and the all-time greatest one I ever heard was a guy who forgot to tuck himself back in after using the relief tube on a flight. He lands, hops out onto the flight deck, and immediately gets christened DOOFUS: Dick Out Of Flightsuit, Unusually Small.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

is "goose" cool?

IRL Goose would have gotten named at Tailhook or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love a good acronym, and the all-time greatest one I ever heard was a guy who forgot to tuck himself back in after using the relief tube on a flight. He lands, hops out onto the flight deck, and immediately gets christened DOOFUS: Dick Out Of Flightsuit, Unusually Small.

loving brutal, and wonderful.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Doc Hawkins posted:

is "goose" cool?

Its close to my actual name and i call my wife "Maverik" on ocassion.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ElMaligno posted:

Its close to my actual name and i call my wife "Maverik" on ocassion.

Moose?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s weird when a dual-aviator couple calls each other by their callsigns imo.

Especially when one of the names is real aggro like “Flame” or “Rage”

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I think ITT or the other iteration, someone shared a story of a dude who got the nickname Blue Eyes, due to a mishap with an AWACS chemical toilet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

goatsestretchgoals posted:

IRL Goose would have gotten named at Tailhook or something.

Would have been someone who keeps playing grab-rear end in the barracks all the time.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mlmp08 posted:

It’s weird when a dual-aviator couple calls each other by their callsigns imo.

Especially when one of the names is real aggro like “Flame” or “Rage”

I just call my wife sweetpea, but i started with sweatpea because me am good english.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ElMaligno posted:

I just call my wife sweetpea, but i started with sweatpea because me am good english.

Is she diabetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Guys, it’s me: I’m the idiot

I live with my gf of two years, and she is kind of a slob. I can’t get her to clean up the kitchen at all with the gentlest suggestion, she’s had a pile of clothes in the same corner since last November (because she doesn’t have, and has no intention of purchasing a dresser), and it’s almost impossible to get her to do any chores during the day. I should note that she works from home, and almost never leaves the apartment unless it’s with me.

In a way, she kinda reminds me of myself at 19, except she’s 31 and won’t take responsibility for anything. Whenever I try to suggest some changes, it’s melt with either empty promises or a total meltdown. I feel like a total moron trying to train this grown woman how to live with another person.

GIP, what the gently caress do I do?

Barging in a bit here but this seems like a pretty likely standard case of depression (maybe even undiagnosed ADHD), :therapy: either way