Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
He is insanely awful gay representation. Literally whenever he comes up, I just say "Imagine if he was straight, and he raped female prisoners instead" and you'll realize how loathsome of a character and "joke" he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nathan from Tiger and Bunny is a much more enjoyable, positive, and nuanced representation of a flamboyant, gay superhero.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

But take out the rape - is PPP good representation divested of that? That's what I'm wondering.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bees x1000 posted:

But take out the rape - is PPP good representation divested of that? That's what I'm wondering.

No.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Without the rapist bit (like, changing the inmates' complaints from him sexually assaulting them to "he's making us do arts and crafts 'to make us better' and we loving hate it") he'd be significantly better, IMO. His boyfriend giving him a new sweater was sweet.

Also change the heroes' reactions from the undertones of "ew gay" to more explicitly "I do not want to see PPP's junk".

EDIT: As representation he'd still be very far from the standards of certain western cartoons, but still way better than he is now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Somebody else could probably talk about this with more nuance, but this is my personal feelings in the subject. Even if you remove the rape, PPP is a Gay Prisoner....where by virtue of their character design, it is reinforcing gay/prison stereotypes. Characters aren't created in a vacuum, and PPP was created with the rape joke as the central core tenant of their character. Ripping it out doesn't divorce the other aspects of him, which stemmed from that core aspect, from reinforcing those same stereotypes and "jokes". A PPP without any of those tangential aspects would fundamentally be a completely different character. So no, I don't think PPP is reworkable, even if you removed the mentions and allusions to him raping people.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've written so many, so many words on LGBT representation in Japanese media in these forums and I wish I had them saved because I have no idea where they are

But the TLDR is that no PPP is not a positive representation. It'd take a lot to make that character positive.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

OK, my thoughts were along these lines too.

Let's go further - take out the 'prisoner' part - now he's just a super powered turbo flamboyant naked guy. Just like Pig God and Watchdog Man, he has no backstory. Is he good representation?

Or, how many redraws does it take to make the dude inoffensive?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think it's fair to assume that if "Being Gay" is the main part of a one-note character, it is not a positive representation

I'm not LGBT myself but that's how I feel about one-dimensional "The Black One" characters

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bees x1000 posted:

OK, my thoughts were along these lines too.

Let's go further - take out the 'prisoner' part - now he's just a super powered turbo flamboyant naked guy. Just like Pig God and Watchdog Man, he has no backstory. Is he good representation?

Or, how many redraws does it take to make the dude inoffensive?

There are two big stereotypes of gay men in Japanese media. One, which is PPP, is the turbo-charged macho man. These are usually big, bulky man, like a parody of village people. In that scenario, these characters are representing a very specific view of a subculture that only exists to be satirized. Notice, for example, that despite PPP liking feminine men, there are no gay effeminate men in OPM. He likes Sonic, and Sonic is drawn overly feminine, but nowhere is stated that Sonic is gay, unlike PPP. In this scenario, PPP is always going to be depicted as a predator: There exists no one who correspond to the archetype PPP is interested in, because the only gay men are also like PPP. There are no healthy relations, and the closest thing to be found to a subversion of this marginalization would be if PPP's exact character lived an otherwise traditional or conservative life as a gay man in a consenting relationship.

However, if you do go and find men who are effeminate compared to their counterparts, you will find more often than not villains. This is especially true in Gar anime: The main characters are strong, and bulky. On the other hand you have, say, Yuda in Fist of the North Star, whose very first line is:

"I am stronger than anyone in this world... And beautiful."

Or Lizard Misty, in Saint Seiya:

"Look at you Misty. So beautiful, so perfect. The moon, the stars and even the shinning sun. All lose their radiance in the shadow of my beauty."

Both wear pink, both are men wearing lipsticks, and in both cases their appearance is directly linked to extreme narcissism. So herein lies the crux of the problem in PPP. The fact that he does not look like the other characters is a reflection of an inherently evil trait - selfishness. Notice how there are parallels to Superalloy Darkshine. In both cases, whether a character is showing overwhelming masculinity or femininity, a character being either openly gay or effeminate is directly linked to a character flaw.

There is a lot, lot more to this but I hope you got the gist.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I apologise for the quick post. I more meant what if he was just a cutesy muscle guy that whipped rear end instead of a rapist or horrible gay stereotype.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Elentor posted:

There is a lot, lot more to this but I hope you got the gist.

I got the gist, thanks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yo Tatsumaki just tatsumaki'd the entire city. Talk about rasengan, am I daijobu my nakamas?!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Believe it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Japan is a very misogynistic and homophobic country filled to the brim with boomers set in their ways.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do not overcorrect in light of that fact and assume that gay, bi, trans and non binary people and work doesn't and hasn't existed in the country for decades at least though.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
My two biggest complaints about ONE's writing boil down to: 1) Puri Puri Prisoner and 2) he needs to write more women in his stories. It's not like he's bad at writing girls, the Psychic Sisters, Tome, and Mezato, Emi, Tsubomi and other girls in Mob Psycho are proof that he's more than capable (the scene at the end of the the Reigen manga where Tome realizes the girls she thought were "too normal" for her to be friends with turned out to be just as into "weird" stuff as she is stands out), but he just doesn't write them. I think he's getting better over time at least, and Murata being horny as gently caress definitely contributed lol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Horny is not a crime!

That said I agree there should be more well-written female characters because that's true of almost everything.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Horny is not a crime!

That said I agree there should be more well-written female characters because that's true of almost everything.

:chast2b:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Hot drat. That's one way to live up to your name.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gologle posted:

Yo Tatsumaki just tatsumaki'd the entire city. Talk about rasengan, am I daijobu my nakamas?!

https://youtu.be/Jrru9SHCPqc

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
poor darkshine looks like hes having trouble dealing with those confidence issues :smith:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

I like that the moon still shows the impact from the jump in this frame

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

I like that the moon still shows the impact from the jump in this frame

It reminds of The Tick

CHA

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

^^^ It's this 100% for me.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
All aboard the Psycos Plane.
https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/13933686331708336402

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's kinda all over the place nowadays.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Hmmmm... yes. Since we're just doing whatever the gently caress we want now can we just get an issue dedicated to Mizuki crushing various fruit monsters betwixt her thighs?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Yes, why don't we have a jetfighter duel except the jets are monsters/heros/Tatsumaki.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

what the heck

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Suddenly, Ace Combat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Suddenly, Ace Combat

Stick with Baldy, and you'll make it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I mean

This looks cool and all, but

I've kinda had enough of the Psykos/Tatsumaki showdown. The teamup with Genos felt like a good stopping point.

OPM fights tend to be either curbstomps or calvinball, and psychic fights especially feel like they belong in the latter category

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What happened to Garou? They were building him up for such a long time, then during his fight with Orochi the chapter ended then we don't see him until Superalloy.

I like the manga a lot but it can feel disjointed at times.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This manga is very bloated. It started out pretty snappy but it's getting longer and longer

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Jimbot posted:

What happened to Garou? They were building him up for such a long time, then during his fight with Orochi the chapter ended then we don't see him until Superalloy.

They are adding a lot of stuff that wasn't in the webcomic.

It would flow better if Murata didn't keep adding (utterly gorgeous mind you) extra stuff.

However Tatsumaki is starting to reach the next phase of the fight as evidenced by whats going on to her body this chapter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jimbot posted:

It's all manga only content. All of this Orochi stuff wasnt in the webcomic

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
People are (aptly) criticizing the pace of the manga recently but ONE isn't really *that* far ahead in his webcomic and contributes to it so infrequently that I don't think there's much choice. It's either make up content to pad for time or catch up to the webcomic and.... take a hiatus?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I mean if the manga caught up to the webcomic, then the obvious thing would be for ONE and Murata to just... work together on the manga from that point on. They're already doing this anyway, ONE storyboards a lot of the new stuff before Murata draws it, it'd just be with actual new content instead of additions to old content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Super Rad posted:

People are (aptly) criticizing the pace of the manga recently but ONE isn't really *that* far ahead in his webcomic and contributes to it so infrequently that I don't think there's much choice. It's either make up content to pad for time or catch up to the webcomic and.... take a hiatus?

Well when the world was doing a better job at pretending to be okay, I used to go out to eat and I had no problem telling them to take their time and that I wasn't in a rush so the food would be better and fresh.

So I'd much rather hear nothing about the manga for a decade rather than keep getting a new update every few months that's just a redraw of material I've already read. It'd be so much less annoying to not have to check back on it so often.