Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Unclear how BWM this is, but the same neighbor also has a deep obsession with lawn maintenance.

He owns a large (Industrial? Commercial?) mower with two sets of blades that extend on either side, a trailer that is specifically for the mower, and buys some kind of imported (I think he said it was from China, but I know nothing about grass) grass that is specifically designed to grow short and dense. He also hand waters his lawn for some reason.

Not really BWM, but he mows his lawn 2-3 times per week and mows an area owned by the county because they only mow it twice per month and it upsets him.

I know nothing about lawn care, so it may not be especially BWM, but it seems very weird and far too much money/effort to spend on grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That is called being "lawn pilled" and it is one of many NormCore/DadCore personality subtypes that are thriving during the pandemic

The GrillPilled are on the rise, too

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

for gently caress's sake, you can't just make everything a pill

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Google indicates that the cost of the type of mower he has is between $7,500 and $27,000 (?!?). So, even a best case scenario is still pretty BWM.

His yard is pretty small. Less than 3,000 square feet. I think he got the commercial mower to mow the plot that the county owns after they refused his requests to mow it more than once every two weeks.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BMan posted:

for gently caress's sake, you can't just make everything a pill
*me, pointing at bird flying by*: "Birdpill"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
pillgate

gatepill

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He literally had no plans to buy a new car (he has a 2017 VW already), but went to the dealership...

:raise:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

buys some kind of imported (I think he said it was from China, but I know nothing about grass) grass that is specifically designed to grow short and dense. He also hand waters his lawn for some reason.

It's probably Zoysia grass and I'm probably going to plant plugs of it next year. It's a contender for "best grass".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best grass is whatever is already established for me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you are having a conversation about what the best grass it should be about grapefruit diesel vs pineapple express. HTH.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
All I do to my grass is cut it when it gets shaggy and it's a combo of grass, weeds, clover but looks fine when cut. I don't water it, it comes back in the fall. My neighbours water theirs religiously and yet get afflicted by chafer beetle grubs which causes the local crows/raccoons to rip up the turf to find the giant juicy grubs underneath, loving the lawn completely until they re-seed or re-sod it. My not giving a gently caress strategy results in probably on average a better looking lawn since it doesn't have large patches always getting torn out of it :haw:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I fixed my irritation system this year and got TONS of moles.

When I let it dry out and croak last summer I didn't get any.

Little Diglett bastards!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

All I do to my grass is cut it when it gets shaggy and it's a combo of grass, weeds, clover but looks fine when cut. I don't water it, it comes back in the fall. My neighbours water theirs religiously and yet get afflicted by chafer beetle grubs which causes the local crows/raccoons to rip up the turf to find the giant juicy grubs underneath, loving the lawn completely until they re-seed or re-sod it. My not giving a gently caress strategy results in probably on average a better looking lawn since it doesn't have large patches always getting torn out of it :haw:

The lazy approach has worked for me these last 17 years too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brown Without Mowing: Little Diglett bastards!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i thought this was the cursed images thread which was having a thought about lindsey grahams rear end moles so now you have to think about those too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i thought this was the cursed images thread which was having a thought about Lady G’s rear end moles so now you have to think about those too

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I fixed my irritation system this year and got TONS of moles.

When I let it dry out and croak last summer I didn't get any.

Little Diglett bastards!

Well, why'd ya fix it if you didn't want to be irritated?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

therobit posted:

Well, why'd ya fix it if you didn't want to be irritated?

gently caress!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Subjunctive posted:

Bad Money With Parking Only

:doh:

Bad With Meanings

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Replace your lawn with local wildflowers

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

Yikes, those numbers seem low to me... I'm not THAT conservative when it comes to spending on cars, am I? Maybe if I was single and only had 1 car I could see it, but I'm married and have kids so spending that much on just 1 car seems a bit much without making a good deal more.

Also, got numbers for cash vs finance vs lease?

Sure but you could say the same for drat near any brand right now. Small SUVs are a hot ticket, and they generally all share the same qualities: utterly useless at being an SUV, but kinda big to hold kids + junk, but not too big to be used as a daily driver. Not sure what's special about the X3 except for the badge.

we have a Forester so at least it's kind of useful as an SUV but lol if we ever use it as anything but a kid/grocery hauler

Nah. That 7 series number sticks out to me the most though, because a 7 series is what, 100k new?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i thought this was the cursed images thread which was having a thought about lindsey grahams rear end moles so now you have to think about those too

All these ladybugs on my yard, eating my grass rear end.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Splicer posted:

Replace your lawn with local wildflowers

:hai:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seriously, look at this poo poo interior

This is a page and a half back and apparently no one else noticed, but I clicked embiggen and was rewarded for my efforts

:discourse:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The different sub-categories under the "Investing" headline for this financial advice website's retirement section.

It's co-owned by Jim Kramer, some VC guy, and a guy who runs the "Invest Like a Shark" website whose name is "Rev Shark."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 8, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Porfiriato posted:

This is a page and a half back and apparently no one else noticed, but I clicked embiggen and was rewarded for my efforts

LOL Chris took a selfie when he was getting pulled over. Magnificent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Porfiriato posted:

Beatles radio is a nice touch.

Mean Officer Mustard
Why Don't We Pull Off Of The Road?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Porfiriato posted:

What am I missing in this? Is it just him getting pulled over?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Volmarias posted:

What am I missing in this? Is it just him getting pulled over?

it was for doing like a buck fifteen or something

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it was for doing like a buck fifteen or something

Looks like he was doing that in a stretch of road that is heavily policed in our state. Very BWM.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Around here they just seize your car and license at roadside for numbers like that, with up to a $10K fine.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Around here they just seize your car and license at roadside for numbers like that, with up to a $10K fine.

Lol around here you go to jail.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tyro posted:

Lol around here you go to jail.

You’d probably end up doing time, but they likely wouldn’t throw you there right away AFAIK.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Getting into politics, but some of this spending is pretty amazing and this level of BWM by a Presidential campaign has never happened before.

Almost $900 million out of $1.1 billion spent in 4 months... and they were running out of money 6+ months before the election.

quote:

The Trump campaign has reportedly squandered most of the $1.1 billion it raised, blowing millions on Super Bowl ads to rival Bloomberg and targeted DC ads to please Trump

quote:

Some of the big spends by the campaign seemed more designed to please Trump than win over voters, with millions spent on ads in solidly Democratic Washington, DC, The Times reported. The Trump campaign reportedly spent $12 million on ads in the notoriously expensive Washington, D.C. and northern Virginia media market.

quote:

The campaign also spent $11 million on Super Bowl ads to rival former Democratic candidate and billionaire Michael Bloomberg, The Times said. The campaign chose $11 million for the ad buy because Trump was concerned about "the optics" of Bloomberg spending more money than his campaign during the Super Bowl.

quote:

Much of the spending can be traced to decisions by Brad Parscale, who was demoted as Trump's campaign manager after June's disastrous Tulsa rally. Parscale also implemented a costly policy of only chartering private jets for campaign staff and hiring full-time drivers over "security concerns" related to flying commercial.

quote:

The campaign spent $110,000, on five different occasions, on magnet-lined pouches where campaign officials meeting Trump can store their cell phones so their conversations with the president cannot be recorded.

quote:

The campaign assembled a big and well-paid staff and housed the team at a cavernous, well-appointed office in the Virginia suburbs; outsize legal bills were treated as campaign costs; and more than $100 million was spent on a television advertising blitz before the party convention, the point when most of the electorate historically begins to pay close attention to the race.

quote:

Millions more followed to firms tied to R.N.C. and Trump-linked officials, including more than $39 million to two firms, Parscale Strategy LLC and Giles-Parscale, controlled by Mr. Parscale since the beginning of 2017.

quote:

The campaign paid some staffers two salaries, one for being a full-time employee and another for "consulting" work, at their Virginia headquarters. This double billing cost the campaign $13.3 million between 19 staffers.

quote:

There was also a cascade of smaller choices that added up: The campaign hired a coterie of highly paid consultants, some with questionable credentials (Mr. Trump’s former bodyguard and White House aide has been paid more than $500,000 per year by the R.N.C. since late 2017 for "political consulting" work).

The campaign spent $156,000 for planes to pull aerial banners over mostly empty beaches in North Carolina.

quote:

The number of staff members allowed to travel to events has been pared back to avoid what one senior campaign official described as “sponsoring vacations.”

One such example, a "swing state strategy retreat" held in Honolulu in January, sent 37 campaign officials to a $2,490 per night hotel for two weeks. The campaign also rented the ballroom of the hotel for $65,000 to hold a series of presentations; but it appears that only one official event ever took place.

quote:

At the top of the whiteboard in Mr. Stepien’s office are the latest numbers on the campaign budget, and Mr. Stepien has instituted a number of changes since he was promoted from deputy campaign manager. A proposal to spend $50 million in costs related to coalitions groups was cast aside. An idea to spend $3 million for a NASCAR car bearing Mr. Trump’s name and face was discarded.

quote:

Many of the specifics of Mr. Trump’s spending are opaque; since 2017, the campaign and the R.N.C. have routed $227 million through a single limited liability company linked to Trump campaign officials. That firm, American Made Media Consultants, has been used to place television and digital ads and was the subject of a recent Federal Election Commission complaint arguing it was used to disguise the final destination of spending, which has included paychecks to Lara Trump and Kimberly Guilfoyle, the partners of Mr. Trump’s two adult sons.

quote:

During a campaign appearance last summer in Orlando, Ms. Guilfoyle confronted Mr. Parscale: Why were her checks always late? Two people who witnessed the encounter said a contrite Mr. Parscale promised that the problem would be sorted out promptly by his wife, Candice Parscale, who handles the books on many of his ventures. Kimberly Guilfoyle and Lara Trump had recently begun receiving salaries of $500,000 from the campaign for becoming spokeswomen and consultants.

quote:

Working under the aegis of Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, with the cooperation of Trump appointees at the Republican National Committee, seven campaign operatives and their companies have consolidated power — and made money — in a way not possible in an earlier, more transparent analog era. Since 2017, businesses associated with the group have billed roughly $75 million to the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee and a range of other Republican clients.

quote:

A new for-profit company that Mr. Trump branded WinRed, created last summer, has given the party an overdue counterweight to ActBlue, the Democrats’ small-donor fund-raising juggernaut. With WinRed, donors could contribute with a few clicks, and candidates could reap windfalls through joint appeals with the president. In its first six months, capitalizing on the Republican base’s outrage over impeachment, WinRed raised $100 million.

One controversial feature of WinRed brought dissent from candidates initially reluctant to sign on, as well as competitors who believed they were being pushed aside without a fair hearing. In addition to credit card transaction costs, WinRed took an additional 3.5% of all donations to pay employees of the company. The company has only three employees listed on its publicly disclosed filings - all of which are senior staff on the Trump campaign who made the decision to steer the party's online fundraising operation through WinRed.

quote:

“You have to spend money to make money,” explained Mr. Walters, the R.N.C. chief of staff. “We have had a big increase in revenue because of early investments we made in online fund-raising and direct mail.”

Still, the costs of the G.O.P. money operation have been enormous.

Since 2019, Mr. Trump, the R.N.C. and their shared committees have spent $145 million on costs related to direct mail, almost $42 million on digital list acquisition and rentals (to expand their list of email addresses) and tens of millions more in online advertising for new donors. Nearly 55% of all money raised in the last three quarters has gone to funding operations designed to expand fundraising. The bulk of the remaining 45% has gone to legal fees, consulting costs, and staff.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 8, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Huh, the whole trump campaign and it’s associated felons personnel are all grifting the system for their own personal gain. Who’d a thunk it?!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Porfiriato posted:

Nice. Where is Chris' picture taken?

I'm thankful in my state the local and state cruisers don't use sneaky models, and are around 100% Explorer or Charger these days, which makes them easier to spot. That Chevy is a little on the obvious side, but it is a bit harder to spot. I think that is 100% the reason I haven't gotten a fat ticket for being a moron yet.

That fear also keeps me from spending more on a faster car since I'd always be afraid of getting popped for enjoying it even on an empty road. GWM.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
:wotwot: Running his campaign just like his businesses. :wotwot:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's that from? I need to send that article to a friend.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cyrano4747 posted:

NYTimes had a big article on the front page yesterday

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/us/politics/trump-election-campaign-fundraising.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cyrano4747 posted:

Original NYT articles (one was the front page story yesterday and another was an article on Brad Parscale that they updated this week):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/us/politics/trump-election-campaign-fundraising.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/us/trump-campaign-brad-parscale.html

The headline and some of the quotes are summary paragraphs from Business Insider:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-blows-cash-advantage-super-bowl-dc-ads-nyt-2020-9