Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

I can see what they were thinking with the movie interpretation for sure. But Sauron does have a human-like body at least some of the time during LOTR. Gollum, who has met him, describes him as having a four-fingered hand.

Gollum seems to describe him as having only one hand too ("he has only four fingers on the Black Hand") though relying too heavily on Gollum's grammar may be a mistake. But it may be a hint that he didn't frankenstein himself a complete body back in Dol Guldur, just enough to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Runcible Cat posted:

But it may be a hint that he didn't frankenstein himself a complete body back in Dol Guldur, just enough to work with.

Well, that's an unexpectedly ghastly mental image

perc2
May 16, 2020

Tolkien was of course a massive weeb and knew that the number four having connotations with death in Japan, plus the cultural practices of the Yakuza chopping off fingers, it was certain he'd make a reference at some point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Book: Four pages of flowery description about how Sauron's evil presence feels like a dread eye casting around looking for our heroes.

Movie: HE'S A BIG GIANT EYE

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Book: Four pages of flowery description about how Sauron's evil presence feels like a dread eye casting around looking for our heroes.

Movie: HE'S A BIG GIANT EYE

WORLD'S MOST EVIL LIGHTHOUSE

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Runcible Cat posted:

WORLD'S MOST EVIL LIGHTHOUSE

is there a lot of masturbation going on in that one

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Runcible Cat posted:

Gollum seems to describe him as having only one hand too ("he has only four fingers on the Black Hand") though relying too heavily on Gollum's grammar may be a mistake. But it may be a hint that he didn't frankenstein himself a complete body back in Dol Guldur, just enough to work with.

I don't think it means he's missing one entire hand He's missing the finger the ring was on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lego Batman had a pretty great take on the Sauron Eye fwiw

he is literally the whole tower, striding around and zapping people with eye lazers

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I don't think it means he's missing one entire hand He's missing the finger the ring was on

Maybe his other hand is a different colour.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

Lego Batman had a pretty great take on the Sauron Eye fwiw

he is literally the whole tower, striding around and zapping people with eye lazers

And making the streets of Gotham run with lava.

Lego Batman is by far the best ever Batman movie.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

didnt tolkien say something like "i picture a man, large but not gigantic in stature" about what sauron was supposed to look like? i always assumed he was just a big scary dude

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think movie sauron when he fights with isildur is a pretty good battle sauron. And the eye on the tower I thought was very strong visually, good visual storytelling even if its a bit on the nose from the text.

Conceptually, the terrible will of an ancient malicious being, who is effectively a god, at least slightly omniscient, is difficult to get across in an intuitive way. Particularly with the films being like 12+

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah but normally you'd phrase that as "only four fingers on one hand", not "four fingers on the hand". "The" black hand seems to imply there's only one.

Unless his other one's another colour, like ZomCom says.

Relatedly, how do you chop a single finger off a dude's hand? Was he wearing the Ring on his pinky? Was he pointing at Isildur?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That leads me to a question regarding Isildur and Sauron. Whenever I read it, it always seemed to me that Isildur defeated Sauron THEN cut off his finger as Sauron lay there defeated. Not the movie version where Isildur discovers the One Neat Trick for defeating the dark lord.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just after Frodo takes the Ring off while on Amon Hen, he feels an arm groping away blindly to the north and west above him. Movie should have had a giant cloud-arm shoving out of Barad-dur and reaching away towards him. (As silly and on the nose as it is I actually think it works fairly well as a visual metaphor for the movies well enough.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mahoning posted:

That leads me to a question regarding Isildur and Sauron. Whenever I read it, it always seemed to me that Isildur defeated Sauron THEN cut off his finger as Sauron lay there defeated. Not the movie version where Isildur discovers the One Neat Trick for defeating the dark lord.

Isildur did not defeat Sauron in the book. Elendil and Gil-galad did the fighting, everyone involved died or was mortally injured. Then Isildur robbed Sauron’s corpse, or at the very most chopped a finger off a fallen enemy who could not resist him.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Ravenfood posted:

Just after Frodo takes the Ring off while on Amon Hen, he feels an arm groping away blindly to the north and west above him. Movie should have had a giant cloud-arm shoving out of Barad-dur and reaching away towards him. (As silly and on the nose as it is I actually think it works fairly well as a visual metaphor for the movies well enough.)

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLKk2_2zQwg

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

Isildur did not defeat Sauron in the book. Elendil and Gil-galad did the fighting, everyone involved died or was mortally injured. Then Isildur robbed Sauron’s corpse, or at the very most chopped a finger off a fallen enemy who could not resist him.

OK, I need to reread the books stat, the drat movies have colonised my memory.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I believe it's mentioned somewhere that Gil-Galad died by being burned alive. I picture Sauron as a Balrog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know with the original idea Jackson had for Aragorn to fight Sauron at the Black Gate instead of a troll, I have to wonder. The footage was recycled with a troll digitally superimposed over the Sauron fight and they didn't reshoot Viggo's scenes. Would that mean that the scene where Aragorn is on the ground and he drives his dagger into the troll's foot is an intentional reference to Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Mahoning posted:

Given that he reforms his entire body between that battle and LOTR, the missing finger isn't actually a physical injury. One way or another I feel like it has to represent his power he invested in the Ring that is now missing, and his inability to reform it is either a magical/spiritual reflection of that, or psychological because of his keen awareness of its loss.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ultiville posted:

Given that he reforms his entire body between that battle and LOTR, the missing finger isn't actually a physical injury. One way or another I feel like it has to represent his power he invested in the Ring that is now missing, and his inability to reform it is either a magical/spiritual reflection of that, or psychological because of his keen awareness of its loss.

Sure, it's his Black Hand because it's withered and dead due to the forcible taking of his power in the form of the Ring.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sure, it's his Black Hand because it's withered and dead due to the forcible taking of his power in the form of the Ring.

I was just meaning the missing finger but I like this interpretation too.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

At dol-guldur,lost fingat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah but normally you'd phrase that as "only four fingers on one hand", not "four fingers on the hand". "The" black hand seems to imply there's only one.

Unless his other one's another colour, like ZomCom says.

Relatedly, how do you chop a single finger off a dude's hand? Was he wearing the Ring on his pinky? Was he pointing at Isildur?

Eh, I always took "the Black Hand" as Gollum says it to be mostly a symbolic thing, like the White Hand for Saruman (who clearly isn't missing any extremities). I never thought him saying "there are only four fingers on the Black Hand" was meant to convey anything about Sauron's literal hand; I thought it was saying "Sauron has been wounded and robbed of his power, but you'd still better not underestimate him".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

I figured the missing finger was that Isildur specifically Took The Ring From Him by chopping off the fingat of doom as opposed to being a miscellaneous injury, which would have wounded Sauron (perhaps significantly, since it seems like even the maiar etc. don't exactly heal without scars at a certain point) but would not have contended his mastery of the Ring.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
it's really a shame since sauron was aces at the shocker.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Funnily enough for all our talk of a spiritual presence the "Eye of Sauron" being a literal eye on top of Barad-Dur like the worlds angriest lighthouse is a retcon from The Two Towers. In the Fellowship movie the Eye actually really is just a spiritual thing just like the books. We see Barad-Dur for a bit in Fellowship and it has no flaming eye atop it, and the only time people "see" it is in the wraith world or as quick flashes in their minds like when Gandalf almost picks it up. In fact even when it is shown it is an all encompassing image that swallows the whole screen and the characters (symbolic!), not a distinct round ball like in the later two films. And it definitely never uses a drat searchlight. The fact they went through all that trouble in Fellowship only to so abruptly change course in Towers seems suspicious of studio meddling or focus group complaints. Like someone complained that you couldn't have the main villain of your 9 hour bajillion dollar movie exist and die entirely off camera.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That does make me wonder, though, who in the movies actually physically saw the Eye?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

galagazombie posted:

Funnily enough for all our talk of a spiritual presence the "Eye of Sauron" being a literal eye on top of Barad-Dur like the worlds angriest lighthouse is a retcon from The Two Towers. In the Fellowship movie the Eye actually really is just a spiritual thing just like the books. We see Barad-Dur for a bit in Fellowship and it has no flaming eye atop it, and the only time people "see" it is in the wraith world or as quick flashes in their minds like when Gandalf almost picks it up. In fact even when it is shown it is an all encompassing image that swallows the whole screen and the characters (symbolic!), not a distinct round ball like in the later two films. And it definitely never uses a drat searchlight. The fact they went through all that trouble in Fellowship only to so abruptly change course in Towers seems suspicious of studio meddling or focus group complaints. Like someone complained that you couldn't have the main villain of your 9 hour bajillion dollar movie exist and die entirely off camera.

Sauron does have a big death scene though, it’s his only in-flesh appearance. Movies cut it in favor of tower go boom

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bongo Bill posted:

That does make me wonder, though, who in the movies actually physically saw the Eye?

Aragorn at the Black Gate. Presumably the host of the West along with him.

Also this is just me picking up on things that are otherwise obvious, but man it feels weird when you consider that the major events of The Two Towers to the defeat of Sauron in ROTK take place over the span of a single month. Then you've got all the travel time back to the Shire, sure, but that is a lot of major moments striking one after another in very quick succession.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 8, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

Does seeing it in the palantir count?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Imagined posted:

The books do describe it as "a lidless eye, robed in flame", the orcs carry the token of the lidless eye, the vision on the seat of seeing, etc. It's not much of a leap from there to "is just a big fiery eye"

Gonna do a ww2 movie now where Hitler is swastika-shaped.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Gonna do a ww2 movie now where Hitler is swastika-shaped.

I'd be down for a WW2 movie where Stalin is depicted as a giant flaming red star over top of the main spire of St. Basil's Cathedral.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does seeing it in the palantir count?

No, because that'd surely involve a spiritual representation.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

galagazombie posted:

I feel like this is actually mentioned in one of the director commentaries. The physical Eye we see in Return was a deliberate contrast to the earlier version in Fellowship, as a way of highlighting how Sauron is continually growing stronger, despite not having the Ring.

Though I definitely agree that the roving lighthouse beam looked very silly, like a Starcraft player's attention being pulled around the map or something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like that Tolkien left Sauron as this far off and threatening entity who doesn't directly (with the exception of the palantir I guess?) interact with the heroes. It makes him feel pretty menacing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

Eh, I always took "the Black Hand" as Gollum says it to be mostly a symbolic thing, like the White Hand for Saruman (who clearly isn't missing any extremities). I never thought him saying "there are only four fingers on the Black Hand" was meant to convey anything about Sauron's literal hand; I thought it was saying "Sauron has been wounded and robbed of his power, but you'd still better not underestimate him".

Could be; Gollum certainly understands figurative language, viz riddles. But talking about the guy who personally tortured you to get info on your Precious seems an odd time to get allusive.

But then again, Tolkien.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Shibawanko posted:

didnt tolkien say something like "i picture a man, large but not gigantic in stature" about what sauron was supposed to look like? i always assumed he was just a big scary dude

Yep, in one of his letters:

JRR Tolkien, Letter 246 posted:

'In any case a confrontation of Frodo and Sauron would soon have taken place, if the Ring was intact. Its result was inevitable. Frodo would have been utterly overthrown: crushed to dust, or preserved in torment as a gibbering slave. Sauron would not have feared the Ring! It was his own and under his will. Even from afar he had an effect upon it, to make it work for its return to himself. In his actual presence none but very few of equal stature could have hoped to withhold it from him. Of 'mortals' no one, not even Aragorn. In the contest with the Palantír Aragorn was the rightful owner. Also the contest took place at a distance, and in a tale which allows the incarnation of great spirits in a physical and destructible form their power must be far greater when actually physically present. Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic. In his earlier incarnation he was able to veil his power (as Gandalf did) and could appear as a commanding figure of great strength of body and supremely royal demeanour and countenance.

There's also this quote from another letter, on the general topic of Sauron's corporeality:

JRR Tolkien, Letter 200 posted:

It is mythologically supposed that when this shape was 'real', that is a physical actuality in the physical world and not a vision transferred from mind to mind, it took some time to build up. It was then destructible like other physical organisms. ... After the battle with Gilgalad and Elendil, Sauron took a long while to re-build, longer than he had done after the Downfall of Numenor (I suppose because each building-up used up some of the inherent energy of the spirit...)

The Silmarillion is also pretty clear that, by the time he was driven out of Dol Guldur around the time of The Hobbit, Sauron had indeed reformed himself:

"The Silmarillion, Of The Rings of Power and the Third Age posted:

For coming out of the wastes of the East he (Sauron) took up his abode in the south of the forest, and slowly he grew & took shape again.

"True, alas, is our guess. This is not one of the Ulari (Nazgul) as many have long supposed. It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again & now grows apace..."

That last is Gandalf speaking to Elrond after returning from Dol Guldur. And given that the term used for Sauron's defeat at Dol Guldur is pretty much always "driven out" rather than "vanquished" or "destroyed," I don't think we can take it as read that Gandalf, Saruman, et al destroyed his corporeal form in the time between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and in any event the quote from Letter 246 is pretty clearly saying Sauron had a physical form when Aragorn challenged him in the palantír.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I would assume Sauron could take shape faster if he had the ring available as well. Without it, I'd assume his return is a lot more gradual (though still inevitable).