Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Papercut posted:

The whole "nuclear waste sites will render entire areas uninhabitable" seems less and less important as the carbon economy renders the entire planet uninhabitable 😩

Also, nuclear fuel in the form of uranium ores is located in plenty of places, where the radon it emits leads to higher-than-average lung cancer rates. Storing nuclear waste in a discrete disposal area isn't without risk, but the problem is that every alternative to nuclear has significant downsides as well which are never discussed as a series of tradeoffs vs. nuclear. For example, large-scale centralized solar uses a huge amount of land, and depending on the type is either a) incredible energy intensive to create (photovoltaic arrays) or b) requires an enormous amount of upkeep, including land sterilization, to maintain (solar thermal arrays).

The point is that any large-scale energy generation is worse for the planet than no energy generation. Taken in aggregate though, nuclear has a small land footprint, an extremely long service life (most current reactors were built in the 60s are are still basically fine), and its waste products are at least in principle relatively easy to contain and store. Wind and solar should absolutely continue to be developed and deployed in circumstances where they are well indicated, and solar especially should be able to supply a huge percentage of our energy needs, although at present it isn't able to do so. But in terms of fossil fuel alternatives that can generate sufficient energy for our needs and which are already sufficiently develop to actually do so nothing is comparable to nuclear.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The real comedy is convincing people that a power source that requires long term investment and upkeep to keep running safely and can fail catastrophically if someone tries to cut too many costs is a good idea while everyone's trying to convince the federal government not to kill the post office

This is obviously a problem, but the fact that nuclear in principle can supply our needs right now, and solar/wind in principle could supply our needs at some point in the future as development continues is worth considering, since if we don't have something right now what we have is coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Cubelodyte posted:

Is that what happened? A quick Googling didn’t yield me much, though I admit I’m beat from the heat and not fully coherent today.

Good question, that’s what I had heard initially and I hadn’t followed up, but looks like it was instead a design defect in the replacement steam generators:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/sdut-san-onofre-anniversary-2016jan30-htmlstory.html

quote:

The design team in question was a joint Edison-Mitsubishi effort, and federal nuclear regulators cited both parties for failures leading up to the San Onofre leak.

As the NRC put it, the problem was “the failure to verify the adequacy of the thermal-hydraulic and flow-induced vibration design of the San Onofre replacement steam generators, resulting in excessive and unexpected steam generator tube wear.”

Edison officials say they relied on Mitsubishi Heavy Industries for advice about whether a federal license amendment was required.

“Had MHI told SCE that a design change was needed to make the RSG’s safe, SCE would have approved it, even if that change would have required a license amendment,” Brown wrote. “MHI repeatedly told SCE that the design MHI proposed was safe, and the design did not require a license amendment.”

Mitsubishi did not respond to a request for comment for this story. The company in the past has said it could not have anticipated the unprecedented type of tube vibrations that occurred in exceptionally large generators commissioned by Edison.

The NRC has since confirmed that no license amendment was required for the San Onofre steam generators, and in fact, the issue may be irrelevant to the plant failure.

“The San Onofre steam generator tube degradation occurred as a result of issues introduced during the design phase that were unrecognized and, thus, were not considered in the licensee’s 10 CFR 50.59 evaluation,” the agency said in a March 2015 “lessons learned” memo about San Onofre.

Whether the amendment was required or not, investigators have probed whether the project would have received approval after undergoing such a review.

Elmo Collins, the former federal administrator who oversaw San Onofre until March 2013, told the NRC’s inspector general for an October 2014 report that if the license amendment review had been conducted, it is unlikely the steam generators would have been approved.

“The steam generators as designed were basically unlicensable,” he said. “We wouldn’t approve them.”

He said inspectors conducting a review would have noticed, in particular, the high “void fraction” of 95 percent when no other plant in the industry was above 90 percent.

“Some reviewer would have said this as an outlier,” Collins told investigators, “and we need to understand that.”

The corporate blame game on who’s fault it is, but it’s the same financial problem where there are a bunch of ways the plant can be financially ruined if a part of it is damaged or fails.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kenning posted:

This is obviously a problem, but the fact that nuclear in principle can supply our needs right now, and solar/wind in principle could supply our needs at some point in the future as development continues is worth considering, since if we don't have something right now what we have is coal.

But reality is the opposite isn’t it? We are already clearly able to build renewables right now while it is nuclear that is feasible at some point in the future as development continues.

You can blame political undevelopment for stalling nuclear, but the reality is we’re adding more renewables on the grid (even on a MWh basis) than nuclear. And it’s worse on a cost basis where we’ve spent billions on new nuclear that won’t even get finished, while costs for wins, solar, and batteries all have been declining.

Like I’m all in favor of nuclear but in the meanwhile while we make it feasible again we better keep building renewables.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm going to be the moron who says we need to invest in fusion research. Better use of money than all our of oil and gas subsidies

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sincx posted:

Nuclear power plants should be run and operated on a not-for-profit basis by independent government agencies, e.g. the TVA.

:hai:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hey cool my power is out until Wednesday.

gently caress this failed rear end state.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

e.pilot posted:

Our entire nation is a failed state, don't feel special

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
cool its raining ash again

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Jesus, it looks like it’s basically every community in the Sierra Nevada foothills, all the way from Yosemite to Shingletown. Not the most populated corridor by any stretch, but still a hell of a lot of people to cut the lights out on for over a day.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yes Affirmative Action is exactly like Jim Crow. What a clever take. Truly a genius observation.

As for "didn't defend the cops"

Oh I'm sorry, you were just asking questions and blaming Jacob Blake for not being the perfect victim. Definitely not a huge racist prick eager to suck boot, no sirree. Your post history makes it very clear that you're a libertarian and a racist, but I repeat myself.

Edit: oh and two weeks ago you called affirmative action a "slippery slope." You still haven't explained why hiring black people to government positions is a "slippery slope" or to what horrific end, but I imagine the terror for you is encountering more black and brown people in positions of authority.

If there is preferential treatment toward a race then there is the inverse action for another race. I rather see a system that judges people on what they have not done instead of just what skin they were born into. I don't think the state should be in the business of discrimination, the state should treat all equally.

Maybe a libertarian point of view but it's still my view. These knee jerk reactions to try to elicit change are with good intent but they are short sighted because if the government goes into bad hands (ie like now) then you have bigger problems.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 8, 2020

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Enigma89 posted:

I rather see a system that judges people on what they have not done instead of just what skin they were born into.

In the aggregate, the skin people are born into affects what they’re able to do. Ignoring this fact because it complicates your politics isn’t noble, it’s just lazy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Describing my pro-diversity hire stance as knee jerk relies on the incorrect assumption that the decision was arrived at quickly and without thought, and that’s incorrect.

I went from being an anti-diversity hire (I’m nobody’s token, I worked hard so others like me could too, blah blah) and that entire worldview relies on a skewed perspective and an ignorance of racial politics and injustice in this state.

The actual knee jerk opinion is that having a diversity hire ban on the books is a good thing.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

raminasi posted:

In the aggregate, the skin people are born into affects what they’re able to do. Ignoring this fact because it complicates your politics isn’t noble, it’s just lazy.

No it makes our response lazy and it's not surprising that this sort of knee jerk reaction is coming in a prop form.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anti-affirmative action on the basis of "discrimination based on race is bad!" is simply repackaged "I don't see color." White moderate etc. etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Enigma89 posted:

No it makes our response lazy and it's not surprising that this sort of knee jerk reaction is coming in a prop form.

:golfclap:

That is a masterful troll.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Laws should not be focused on establishing equality - laws should focus on providing equity and justice.

This is why diversity hiring and affirmative action laws are cool and good.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So we've gone from "but what about white people" to "trying to provide a leg-up to people facing discrimination is the REAL racism." Are you being a cliché on purpose or are you just stumbling into fifty year old arguments on the topic?

Newsflash: the government is already in the process of determining what happens to people based on skin color. That's why Jacob Blake got shot in the back for the crime of doing absolutely loving nothing while Kyle Rittenhouse got to murder multiple people in cold blood, walk past multiple officers after doing so, and then return home to get a good night's sleep before being taken peaceably into custody. Saying that we should put rules in place to address these existing discrepancies isn't reverse racism or whatever nonsense you've come up with.

And still waiting on the slippery slope explanation. Please describe the horrifying future where an equally qualified black person is sometimes favored over the equally qualified white person and why this leads to a dystopia. I'd love to hear it.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And still waiting on the slippery slope explanation. Please describe the horrifying future where an equally qualified black person is sometimes favored over the equally qualified white person and why this leads to a dystopia. I'd love to hear it.
The state isn't allowed to discriminate, full stop. You want it to be able to.

What sort of negative things can happen from that are up to anyone's imagine. I rather rule out the possibility by not allowing the state to be allowed to discriminate. Instead of having the state be able to put a thumb on the scale for or against a race, I rather see the legislation that actually tries to level the playing field in a manner that doesn't involve discrimination and equalizes opportunities.

Some ideas:

-Force in both private and public hiring that names and race be excluded from resumes. We already know resumes with black sounding names get lower response rates than white sounding ones. This is just a bias from gate keepers (HR) that are suppressing qualified candidates from ever getting their chance.

-Force public universities that are treating themselves like luxury brands (especially the UC system) to accept candidates that meet a minimum requirement. Graduating from any UC school except UC Merced puts you basically in a special class in California. If any student meets the requirements to attend should be able to actually attend.

-Allow for more state funding for low income individuals/families to attend university (just to allow for the one above)

I am sure there are some other ideas out there which are great but I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I personally find Prop 16 incredibly insulting to POC and I urge anyone to not vote for it.

e:
I think we are going in circles here. I do agree with you that more POC should be in positions of authority. I just don't agree with you on how we should do it.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 8, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Enigma89 posted:

The state isn't allowed to discriminate, full stop. You want it to be able to.

What sort of negative things can happen from that are up to anyone's imagine. I rather rule out the possibility by not allowing the state to be allowed to discriminate. Instead of having the state be able to put a thumb on the scale for or against a race, I rather see the legislation that actually tries to level the playing field in a manner that doesn't involve discrimination and equalizes opportunities.

The state DOES discriminate, full stop. I want to put into place policy that corrects for this explicit bias that already exists. That it isn't "allowed" is meaningless since it happens with regularity without any consequence.

quote:

Some ideas:

-Force in both private and public hiring that names and race be excluded from resumes. We already know resumes with black sounding names get lower response rates than white sounding ones. This is just a bias from gate keepers (HR) that are suppressing qualified candidates from ever getting their chance.

The "chance" you're talking about is getting to maybe have an interview, where the interviewer or interviewing panel will just have a feeling they can't explain that the white candidate seems a better fit. They won't have to justify this, it will just be a gut feeling that no one will question, and good luck ever winning a civil suit claiming discrimination since no one will ever write in their interview notes "do not hire because I think women/black people/etc. are worse employees."

quote:

-Force public universities that are treating themselves like luxury brands (especially the UC system) to accept candidates that meet a minimum requirement. Graduating from any UC school except UC Merced puts you basically in a special class in California. If any student meets the requirements to attend should be able to actually attend.

Minimum entry policies like taking the top 10% of high school students doesn't help racial minorities/low income families all that much because they're likelier to have lower GPAs than their wealthy white counterparts. This is due to a whole host of societal biases that you can't readily fix without completely upending society. Affirmative Action allows you to correct for this without needing to spend fifty years reworking late-stage capitalism and then lets those who benefit from AA to provide better opportunities to their children, thereby increasing diversity among the "upper" class.

quote:

-Allow for more state funding for low income individuals/families to attend university (just to allow for the one above)

This would be a good thing, but I don't see why we would do this in place of AA instead of just doing both. In fact all university attendance should be free, we should dedicate significantly greater funding to UCs and CSUs and Community Colleges to expand available seats, AND we should have affirmative action to help with the distribution of available seats.

quote:

I am sure there are some other ideas out there which are great but I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I personally find Prop 16 incredibly insulting to POC and I urge anyone to not vote for it.

It is not "insulting" to PoC to recognize that racism is omnipresent, that society is relentlessly making GBS threads on them, and that expecting them to overcome these societal biases via their own grit and determination is a herculean task.

You'd be right in a world where racism wasn't already pervasive at every level of society, but it is. Pretending that the "state can't discriminate" or whatever other fanciful nonsense you believe doesn't make it reality. We need to correct for existing problems in society, not pretend that rising tides lift all boats. To paraphrase an old analogy, you're talking about "leveling the playing field" when in reality the competition started three hundred years ago and black people are just now getting past the starting line.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

We don't employ a way to quantify a "best" candidate, and the experience of a most qualified candidate is subjective. So the meritocracy is actually a political construction that arises from the culture that attempts to use it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
What's the over/under that Enigma89 is a big fan of Sam Harris and/or John McWhorter

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Here's a decent breakdown of the California housing legislative clusterfuck this year

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol I woke up to a hazy orange sky in Pomona. I’m in between two fires: north of Monrovia and San Bernardino. I live in the Phillips ranch area for reference. :v:

I’m not worried at all about the fires reaching me, but I can smell the ash and the sky being a slight Orange is unsettling.

Edit: My parents are camping in Oregon and were worked up by the park ranger to gtfo. No fire but the sky was apparently pitch black at 8AM. They are traveling down the 101 to Coos Bay and I got them the wildfires app so they are better informed. I also got them to enable find my iPhone so I can keep tabs on them. I didn’t know Oregon was also burning down. 0_0

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 8, 2020

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

We don't employ a way to quantify a "best" candidate, and the experience of a most qualified candidate is subjective. So the meritocracy is actually a political construction that arises from the culture that attempts to use it.

It was also invented in the 50s by a man who was trying to satirize the English aristocracy, who were using their money and influence to give their children the best possible merits. Overall, the satire was predicting that if we base our society off of meritocratic ideals, while doing nothing to address inherent inequities in opportunities and outcomes, that the rich and powerful elites will remain so, and upward mobility will become even more impossible.

Super weird take from that guy. Pfft what a loon.

Anyway meritocracy is a loving lie and it actively hurts people who believe in it.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Sydin posted:

There are more modern reactor types that produce far less waste than what you saw during the peak of the nuclear age, and waste can also be reprocessed multiple times over until there is nothing left but radioactive slag that has to be disposed of. The main hurdles to nuclear are a) more efficient reactors like fast breeders or Thorium can produce weapons-grade material as a byproduct which an obvious security concern, and b) nuclear is expensive as poo poo. Building a natural gas plant costs on average $696/kW, while a Nuclear plant costs anywhere between $6500 to $12,250/kW. So we're talking an order of magnitude more cost you have to talk politicians into budgeting for instead of getting cozy with the oil and gas lobby and throwing up a much cheaper plant.

I feel like literally every time I bring up nuclear with other progressives in the state, its always the same things about waste lasting forever, no options for it AND "have you seen HBO's Chernobyl? Theres just no way that kind of energy could ever be managed safely."

edit: whoops this is from last page

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

If people are worried about inhabitable areas from nuclear power accidents just wait until they find out about global warming and our coastlines!!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the whole hand wringing about nuclear waste thing really rings hollow when our current primary method of energy generation directly vents its waste into the loving atmosphere and not only is it also radioactive, it's slowly cooking us and the planet alive. I think having to seal up some barrels in the middle of a remote desert somewhere is the far lesser evil here.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Yeah the whole hand wringing about nuclear waste thing really rings hollow when our current primary method of energy generation directly vents its waste into the loving atmosphere and not only is it also radioactive, it's slowly cooking us and the planet alive. I think having to seal up some barrels in the middle of a remote desert somewhere is the far lesser evil here.

hey we got SpaceX now we can just launch it at the moon or some poo poo

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I really don't love the smell of ashes in the morning

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought the lightning complex fires from three weeks ago were big, but

Holy moly that fire in the sierra national forest is enormous. And the one up in Mendo is even bigger. Jeeesus these are some huge loving fires.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

adoration for none posted:

I really don't love the smell of ashes in the morning

Wake up Mr. Freeman

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is there a fire down in Orange County or is the smoke just reaching this far? The sky is overcast and orange, but I can't smell any smoke or see any ash.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here, have a smokemap:

It's not so much that OC has a fire, as that there's smoke covering the entire country and especially the entire west coast, from several incredibly huge fires and some very unfavorable wind patterns.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wanna know what weird-rear end wind patterns are causing us to only have a 60 AQI for San Jose while the entire sky is glowing orange and the cover is so thick I can stare directly at the red dot I assume to be the sun and not even feel my eyes twinge.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sydin posted:

I wanna know what weird-rear end wind patterns are causing us to only have a 60 AQI for San Jose while the entire sky is glowing orange and the cover is so thick I can stare directly at the red dot I assume to be the sun and not even feel my eyes twinge.

https://twitter.com/DrewTumaABC7/status/1303367323269517315

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Good question, that’s what I had heard initially and I hadn’t followed up, but looks like it was instead a design defect in the replacement steam generators:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/sdut-san-onofre-anniversary-2016jan30-htmlstory.html

The corporate blame game on who’s fault it is, but it’s the same financial problem where there are a bunch of ways the plant can be financially ruined if a part of it is damaged or fails.
To be clear this was largely a corner-cutting-to-save-cost failure. Flow induced vibration is the kind of thing any experienced engineering team would be well aware of and attempt to de-risk. People have been building steam generators and heat exchangers for over a century, and MHI specifically has designed and currently operates nuclear power plants in Japan . This is well-worn engineering territory (the failure mode, that is) and I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that there were engineers somewhere in the project well aware of this issue who's attempts to raise the alarm were stifled by management.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wild, I took a walk for my lunch break and it was eerie as poo poo.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Okan170 posted:

"have you seen HBO's Chernobyl? Theres just no way that kind of energy could ever be managed safely."

Fuckin' love those baby brains out there that look at the show about lies told to maintain the interests of the powerful and give takes like "communism / nuclear just can't work."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

416 AQI in Roseville. I was outside for 15 mins sweeping my pool since the winds make our giant-rear end oak take a massive leafshit in our pool. By the time I was done, I was all gritty from the ash. Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

416 AQI in Roseville. I was outside for 15 mins sweeping my pool since the winds make our giant-rear end oak take a massive leafshit in our pool. By the time I was done, I was all gritty from the ash. Insane.

Can you tape and towel yourself into a room with a hepafilter? That's worse than awful and you should treat it like a threat.