Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Might be a dumb question but have you checked your windows power plan? If it’s set to high performance it won’t throttle down.

Oh fucks sake this is probably what it is. Thanks I'm dumb.

E: yep it was. Ty, system now Idles for 0.185w.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
An interesting bit about Raymond Chen's next Xbox security presentation is that they're relying on the small feature size (14nm? 10nm?) for physical security. The smaller the feature size, the harder the cost of hardware probing.
I can imagine for certain defense applications (drone security chip?), the smaller feature size is a requirement.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1302989616463708162

Looks like the 8C CCD means AMDs SKUs get to be more dense. 1usmus apparently has samples and has been in talks with AMD, it looks like Octover 7 is the announcement/paper launch

My stab at the stack

TR 4990WX: 64C/128T, 256MB L3, $3499
TR 4980WX: 56C/112T, 256MB L3 (Perfect opportunity to pit core vs. core against Cascade Lake), $2999
TR 4970WX: 48C/96T, 256MB L3, $2499
TR 4950X: 32C/64T, 128MB L3, $1799
TR 4920X: 28C/56T, 128MB L3 (Again, to demonstrate core vs. core against Cascade Lake), $1399
TR 4900X: 24C/48T, 128MB L3, $999

R9 4870X: 16C/32T, 64MB L3, $699
R9 4850X: 14C/28T, 64MB L3, $549
R9 4820X: 12C/24T, 64MB L3, $449
R9 4800X: 10C/20T, 64MB L3, $349

R7 4700X: 8C/16T, 32MB L3, $299
R7 4700G: 8C/16T, 8MB L3, $249
R7 4700: 8C/16T, 16MB L3, $229

R5 4600X: 6C/12T, 32MB L3, $209
R5 4600G: 6C/12T, 8MB L3, $179
R5 4600: 6C/12T, 16MB L3, $149

R3 4400G: 4C/8T, 8MB L3, $129
R3 4300G: 4C/8T, 8MB L3, $99

Athlon 4000G: 4C/8T, 4MB L3, $49

Oh and yeah, AMD is getting into networking https://www.techpowerup.com/271876/amd-to-enter-network-hardware-market-develop-wifi-controller-products-with-mediatek, which in hindsight seems like an obvious next step. This would be for the consumer space though, not datacenter and AMD will have to develop their own poo poo over time (or leveraged buyout of something like Marvell because we clearly didn't learn our lesson last time with ATI). Best case scenario AMD has total in house networking solutions that are competitive in IMHO, 2023.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Unified L3 cache, better IPC and no interCCX latency for 8C/16T parts should be the last piece of the puzzle for evicting Intel from the :pcgaming: space once and for all, no?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Looks like the 8C CCD means AMDs SKUs get to be more dense. 1usmus apparently has samples and has been in talks with AMD, it looks like Octover 7 is the announcement/paper launch

Oh and yeah, AMD is getting into networking https://www.techpowerup.com/271876/amd-to-enter-network-hardware-market-develop-wifi-controller-products-with-mediatek, which in hindsight seems like an obvious next step. This would be for the consumer space though, not datacenter and AMD will have to develop their own poo poo over time (or leveraged buyout of something like Marvell because we clearly didn't learn our lesson last time with ATI). Best case scenario AMD has total in house networking solutions that are competitive in IMHO, 2023.

I don't see the CCX going over 8C per CCX in logical design (2^x factors are too valuable for processor layout efficiency) but maybe they are throwing out some extra units to give them some yields for cutdowns. You have 8 units selected out of 10, so to speak.

The networking play makes complete sense after the mellanox acquisition, AMD has to respond to NVIDIA, they need their own network adapter IP for unit to unit integration. That becomes a strategic integration with your processor design. Cheap and efficient, ideally.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 8, 2020

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't see the CCX going over 8C per CCX in logical design (2^x factors are too valuable for processor layout efficiency) but maybe they are throwing out some extra units to give them some yields for cutdowns. You have 8 units selected out of 10, so to speak.

The networking play makes complete sense after the mellanox acquisition, AMD has to respond to NVIDIA, they need their own network adapter IP for unit to unit integration. That becomes a strategic integration with your processor design. Cheap and efficient, ideally.

No, 1usmus is not saying native 10C CCD, rather a 5+5 CCD config for an effective 10C CPU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

Unified L3 cache, better IPC and no interCCX latency for 8C/16T parts should be the last piece of the puzzle for evicting Intel from the :pcgaming: space once and for all, no?

I'm sure Intel will come up with *some* kind of benchmark that shows they're still better at in games...

Also, the only thing that I would want at this point is USB 4.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 8, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

No, 1usmus is not saying native 10C CCD, rather a 5+5 CCD config for an effective 10C CPU.

oh, intredasting... I suppose with an 8C unified CCX you can really die-harvest any combination of cores on the CCX, can't you? there's not as much penalty for core vs core enablement.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 8, 2020

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The networking play makes complete sense after the mellanox acquisition, AMD has to respond to NVIDIA,
They're licensing Mediatek IP for at least the 1st gen stuff and from the article it appears (like EmpyreanFlux said) to be solely targeted at the consumer wifi stuff and not datacenter/HPC stuff like NV's Mellanox acquisition will be used for.

For HPC/datacenter I'd expect them to use whatever new version of IF they develop.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Cheap bourbon and boredom got the better of me last night and I bought a Ryzen 9 3900X. How smoothbrained was that decision and should I return it and wait it out until October?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Theophany posted:

Cheap bourbon and boredom got the better of me last night and I bought a Ryzen 9 3900X. How smoothbrained was that decision and should I return it and wait it out until October?

return it and buy another bottle of bourbon when the next release comes out?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Theophany posted:

I feel like we have zero idea what Zen 3 is going to do for performance per dollar, like not even to the level of the rumors leading to the RTX 3000 launch, which at least were mostly in the ballpark.

The worst case is the 3900x will still be a baller CPU for years, but maybe the 4700x or whatever will perform the same for cheaper?

I dunno :iiam:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Theophany posted:

Return it, lay off the bourbon until after Zen 3 comes out.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Advice noted - return the CPU, stick to clear spirits. Thank you!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What is up with the delay on Zen3? We should have gotten more information by now? At least with Zen3 I can actually build my system and simply swap out my old video card for the 3080 if I get one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

What is up with the delay on Zen3? We should have gotten more information by now? At least with Zen3 I can actually build my system and simply swap out my old video card for the 3080 if I get one.

I mean they said end of 2020 earlier, and now it's going to be announced early October, so I don’t see the delay? Unless I just missed something.

What there haven't been are significant leaks about hard specs or performance.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

That whole pandemic thing + probably a limited volume launch in Q4 to technically meet "Zen 3 this year" from AMD.

EmpyreanFlux posted:

My stab at the stack

TR 4990WX: 64C/128T, 256MB L3, $3499
TR 4980WX: 56C/112T, 256MB L3 (Perfect opportunity to pit core vs. core against Cascade Lake), $2999
TR 4970WX: 48C/96T, 256MB L3, $2499
TR 4950X: 32C/64T, 128MB L3, $1799
TR 4920X: 28C/56T, 128MB L3 (Again, to demonstrate core vs. core against Cascade Lake), $1399
TR 4900X: 24C/48T, 128MB L3, $999

Mm, if that was the stack, I'd look hard at the base / boost clocks and pick the highest of the 4900X/4920X/4950X. Today, I would 3970X and OC.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
What is the best program to control RT5700XT and Ryan fan speeds using a curve. my drat GPU in the software is like soft caped at 40% fanspeed max. Causing it to overheat..

I have heatphones. wtf is fan speed to me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Balsa posted:

What is the best program to control RT5700XT and Ryan fan speeds using a curve. my drat GPU in the software is like soft caped at 40% fanspeed max. Causing it to overheat..

In the Radeon Driver you can adjust the curves and it is limited to like 40% by default. It's in the same section as overclocking just set stuff to manual and it should pop up.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
I've tried it, but every update it freaking resets my curves :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Balsa posted:

as pixaal said, but also if your card is capped at 40% that means it's an original blower model. if it is overheating at 40% -- which is like 2400 rpm! -- your case ambient is probably very warm and you should look at better overall case ventilation.

controlling the CPU fan curves is best done in your mobo bios, but the mobo companies also make software that can change fan speeds inside windows. check the support webpage for your mobo. (it's best with the bios because many of these software packages suck and are stupid resource hogs.)

edit:

Balsa posted:

I've tried it, but every update it freaking resets my curves :(
uh yeah unfortunately the wattman / power & fan control stuff seems to be one of the main places that the 5700s have their stability problems

the drivers reset those settings not just from updates, but even just from having an unexpected shutdown

use the "save profile" (in the 3-dot menu) to save your curve so it's at least fast to restore.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 8, 2020

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Klyith posted:

as pixaal said, but also if your card is capped at 40% that means it's an original blower model. if it is overheating at 40% -- which is like 2400 rpm! -- your case ambient is probably very warm and you should look at better overall case ventilation.

controlling the CPU fan curves is best done in your mobo bios, but the mobo companies also make software that can change fan speeds inside windows. check the support webpage for your mobo. (it's best with the bios because many of these software packages suck and are stupid resource hogs.)

Mine is a Trifan Gigabyte card, a BIOS update to the card did help in the early days. it doesn't overheat as much. but I find undervolting (-50) the crap out of it really does help and doesn't impact frames too much.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

sean10mm posted:

I feel like we have zero idea what Zen 3 is going to do for performance per dollar, like not even to the level of the rumors leading to the RTX 3000 launch, which at least were mostly in the ballpark.

The worst case is the 3900x will still be a baller CPU for years, but maybe the 4700x or whatever will perform the same for cheaper?

I dunno :iiam:

Literally every tech blogger with "leaks" and "inside sources" about Zen 2 was proven to be full of poo poo. We didn't know anything about Zen 2 until Mama Su fed it to us straight from her beak, and it looks like Zen 3 will be the same.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Literally every tech blogger with "leaks" and "inside sources" about Zen 2 was proven to be full of poo poo. We didn't know anything about Zen 2 until Mama Su fed it to us straight from her beak, and it looks like Zen 3 will be the same.

Those same tech bloggers with "leaks" about RDNA/Navi were also completely wrong about it, so at this point I won't trust any source on anything AMD. Zen 3 will probably be great! But I am going to wait for real reviews.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm impressed at how well AMD has been keeping secrets.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

taqueso posted:

I'm impressed at how well AMD has been keeping secrets.
easy to keep gpu secrets with an impossible-to-understand naming scheme like theirs apparently

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Those same tech bloggers with "leaks" about RDNA/Navi were also completely wrong about it, so at this point I won't trust any source on anything AMD. Zen 3 will probably be great! But I am going to wait for real reviews.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's good and it's a buyable product the same time the RTX 3070 is.

*Monkey's paw curls thumb, index finger, ring finger and pinkie at once*

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Speaking of good but probably not purchasable products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HqJeLNepX0

https://www.asrockind.com/4X4%20BOX-4800U
https://www.asrockind.com/4X4%20BOX-4500U
https://www.asrockind.com/4X4%20BOX-4300U

I think that's the first Renoir NUC like release?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Turns out someone released a "patch" that disables the AMD Ryzen Master Virtualization check:

https://github.com/klauspost/ryzen-master-vbs-patch

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

"It does NOT fix what might be the cause of this being disabled."

Does anyone have any clue what that cause might be? Even just a guess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrainDance posted:

"It does NOT fix what might be the cause of this being disabled."

Does anyone have any clue what that cause might be? Even just a guess?

Nobody knows right now. I've been searching for weeks to no end.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Is it expected that AMD will release new mobo chipsets along with Zen 3?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

funroll loops posted:

Maybe this time is different, but they always have so far.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

funroll loops posted:

Somebody else may correct me, but I kind of thought they had X570 and B550 planned as the last AM4 chipsets. It's possible they will release more AM4 chipsets (they apparently haven't ruled it out) at some point, but I am not aware of any actual plans to do so.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What features would they add? Seems like an expensive reason to spin masks IMO... just more PCIe lanes, but at the expense of ?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Somebody else may correct me, but I kind of thought they had X570 and B550 planned as the last AM4 chipsets. It's possible they will release more AM4 chipsets (they apparently haven't ruled it out) at some point, but I am not aware of any actual plans to do so.

There's been a rumored X590 chipset. I don't know what it would actually do though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Part of me hopes for a comedy option board that can run either DDR4 or DDR5 but not both at once, like in the transition to DDR2 days.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Part of me hopes for a comedy option board that can run either DDR4 or DDR5 but not both at once, like in the transition to DDR2 days.

IIRC DDR5 is keyed differently from DDR4, so you can't have a slot that works for both

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC DDR5 is keyed differently from DDR4, so you can't have a slot that works for both

There were motherboards that had physical slots for both, i.e 2x DDR1 and 2x DDR2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

No, I mean a board with different slots for different types of memory. I played with a couple of boards that came out in a transitional period and had slots for DDR and DDR2, like 2 of each, and could run one or the other. Looks like this was one of them: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8I915P-Duo-Pro-A-rev-10#ov