Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hollismason posted:

At least with prequels you get Lightsaber fights. I mean the lightsaber fights in the Sequel Trilogy are just between two people. At least in the prequels you get a lot of variety of lightsaber battles and a lot of them. Some of the prequel battles are not super great but there are some that are really well done.

I still say Finn vs Riot Trooper was the best fight scene in the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought that Rey vs Ren on Starkiller planet was a perfectly good fight especially given the context that Rey is holding a lightsabre for the first time and Ren has been shot in the side, so the wild swings and flailing around makes perfect sense.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The prequels also brought in a new era of crap merchandise and slapping Star Wars on literally every thing imaginable. I know this was the case in the 70s and 80s as well of course, but boy was it egregarious each time a new film came out. Disney has not surprisingly followed suit of course, but I feel like post TFA they looked at their mountains of unsold plastic poo poo, realised kids these days aren't into toys and instead decided to focus on marketing them to 30+ year old geeks instead.

Also during the prequels it was disappointing for me to watch LucasArts go from being one of the most innovative and impressive game studios to simply a license holder churning out pretty lame video games. In the 1990s, everything they touched was gold, and nine times out of ten, a Star Wars game would be incredible.

Honourable exceptions of course to Republic Commando and the Battlefront series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is that the prequels made lots of new and original designs, stuff like the Trade Federation army has all new ships, tanks and droids with a very distinct style, and the clone army likewise resembles the Empire but not completely so. The sequels literally just slap new labels and a few bits on the OT stuff.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Robot Style posted:

I also remember liking the Jedi Apprentice books as a kid, which followed Obi-Wan's training with Qui-Gon and started with the threat of him being shipped off to a farm because he was a remedial 13 year old who no one wanted to take as an apprentice.
I read all of those series as an adult and felt they captured the overall tone of Star Wars better than any other EU series.

Before Filoni came along, I was convinced Jude Watson was the spiritual successor to Lucas.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

post TFA they looked at their mountains of unsold plastic poo poo, realised kids these days aren't into toys and instead decided to focus on marketing them to 30+ year old geeks instead.

This was the approach to making ROS as well

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is that the prequels made lots of new and original designs, stuff like the Trade Federation army has all new ships, tanks and droids with a very distinct style, and the clone army likewise resembles the Empire but not completely so. The sequels literally just slap new labels and a few bits on the OT stuff.

This was really annoying. You could make a case for the resistance using old equipment because their whole deal seems to be that they're some kind of off-the-books guerrilla unit so they get whatever's cheap and disposable funneled to them, but why is the first order using slightly upgraded star destroyers and tie fighters? TLJ at least had a couple of new things but all the bombers amounted to was Y-wings but crappier, and the speeders were snowspeeders but crappier, communicating the same lack of resources that was already communicated by them having x-wings!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked the weight of the duels in TFA - going back to George Lucas equating lightsabers to having weight to them, and as you got better with them, the weight decreased

Trials of the Darksaber had a fantastic duel between Kanan and Sabine that explained how it works

quote:

"Energy constantly flows through the crystal. You're not fighting with a simple blade as much as you are directing a current of power. Your thoughts, your actions, they become energy. They flow through the crystal as well, and become a part of the blade."

Compare Kylo's wild heavy swings in TFA with Ben Solo's rapid-fire movement in RoS - he's not weighed down anymore and it lets him annihilate the Knights without effort

...I mean, yes, they're barely a threat in the first place, but hey, at least they didn't cut and run

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Vinylshadow posted:

Compare Kylo's wild heavy swings in TFA with Ben Solo's rapid-fire movement in RoS - he's not weighed down anymore and it lets him annihilate the Knights without effort

...I mean, yes, they're barely a threat in the first place, but hey, at least they didn't cut and run

Yeesh, though, that part where he has the saber aligned with his back while he leans over to catch his breath..

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say Finn vs Riot Trooper was the best fight scene in the sequels.

IIRC Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian didn't just cameo in Force Awakens but did some work on the fights too which is why that fight and the Rey/Ren fight at the end are very very good imo compared to the rest in the sequel trilogy. Like look at how Ren moves in that fight at the end of Force Awakens, he's like extra ferocious and there's even a few shots where it's almost like "wait this is a real action movie and not a Hollywood Disney flick?"

At least I hope so because god drat, imagine hiring fuckin' Rama and Mad Dog from The Raid to be criminal fuckers after Han Solo and barely even using them. Like can you even imagine how much better any Star Wars movie would be if you gave Iko Uwais a lightsaber it'd be amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ is a fan like everyone else. He just asked them to do a cameo. And why not. It’s fun.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

JJ is a fan like everyone else. He just asked them to do a cameo. And why not. It’s fun.

And they probably loved doing it. Everyone loves doing a cameo in a Star Wars movie. Hell, when Sam Jackson signed up to be in Episode I, he didn't care what the part was. He said he could be a stormtrooper for all he cared, as long as he knew it was him. He didn't know what role he had until he got the script. In an interview, he said his reaction to reading the script (or at least his part of the script) was, "Wait, I'm a Jedi? I HAVE SCENES WITH YODA?!"

And then look at (well, listen to it, I guess) Daniel Craig's cameo as the stormtrooper in TFA. poo poo's just fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

And then look at (well, listen to it, I guess) Daniel Craig's cameo as the stormtrooper in TFA. poo poo's just fun.

Fitting too, given the scene he's in.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The stormtrooper cameos feel like they could have been an interesting meta-textual way to build up to Finn leading a stormtrooper rebellion. You've got a bunch of famous actors playing these anonymous soldiers which, if you know about it, makes them stand out and makes it easier to imagine a real human person under the helmet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lucas had NSync film a cameo for Ep 2 cause his daughter was a fan, but it got cut.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Some of it may still survive - the dude with the blue lightsaber in this shot is allegedly Joey Fatone:

https://i.imgur.com/INq84wG.mp4

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

The stormtrooper cameos feel like they could have been an interesting meta-textual way to build up to Finn leading a stormtrooper rebellion. You've got a bunch of famous actors playing these anonymous soldiers which, if you know about it, makes them stand out and makes it easier to imagine a real human person under the helmet.

Please stop having ideas and get in line to pose in front of the life size xwing thank you

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Agreed, and as much as I love The Last Jedi, I will always hate that they cut the Tom Hardy stormtrooper scene with Finn. It's great, and should have then led into the also unfortunately cut scene with Finn and Phasma.

There's this whole stormtrooper subplot to the sequel trilogy that was setup with TFA by introducing Finn that could have been built upon in TLJ, but was cut for reasons I'll never understand. TROS feels like it had the potential for that in it's bones too, with the group of ex-stormtroopers, but it never really pulled the trigger on it.

I say this with love, I'm one of the few people around here who really enjoyed the sequel trilogy. But that was a serious missed opportunity. Huge unforced error.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was cut I think because Johnson wanted to keep it ambiguous with Phasma so they could bring her back.

Maybe a Disney thing.

And the Trevorrow script had a stormtrooper uprising lead by Finn.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Some of it may still survive - the dude with the blue lightsaber in this shot is allegedly Joey Fatone:

https://i.imgur.com/INq84wG.mp4

I wish Lucas would have brought back Jefferson Starship from the Holiday Special.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Art Carneys alien is better than Maz.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/eW7Twd85m2g

It looks so drat amazing!

:allears:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Tatooine-Jaaku is obviously a super popular destination, Luke you whiner

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Hollismason posted:

At least with prequels you get Lightsaber fights. I mean the lightsaber fights in the Sequel Trilogy are just between two people. At least in the prequels you get a lot of variety of lightsaber battles and a lot of them. Some of the prequel battles are not super great but there are some that are really well done.
i realized several seconds into the death star fight in RoS how little i cared about it. "oh right, lightsaber battles are in this, i guess"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
edit: woops!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mike N Eich posted:

edit: woops!

They’re so dangerous that two participants trivially recover from blows to the face and spine

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Quick question:

In the Lucas films, we’re introduced to a variety of Imperial civilians - including Han Solo, the Lars family, etc. It gives a pretty good idea of what life’s like under the Emperor.

With that in mind, can you name all the First Order civilians living under Snoke?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Quick question:

In the Lucas films, we’re introduced to a variety of Imperial civilians - including Han Solo, the Lars family, etc. It gives a pretty good idea of what life’s like under the Emperor.

With that in mind, can you name all the First Order civilians living under Snoke?

Rey and Unkar Plut, I guess? The First Order seems to operate pretty freely on Jaku/Tatooine, though it’s unclear if they actively occupy it. I would think yes, if the planet has its own Resistance pocket (if that’s what Max von Sydow and his people were)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Quick question:

The chois of undead bugaboos at the end? They didn't seem like they held any military titles.

Also presumably the kids of all those hidden star destroyer crews, since the film implies they've been there for at least a generation or two. And presumably all the youngling that got stolen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quick question:

DJ?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Quick question:

The closest we come is Smuggler Planet in RoS.

Festival Planet in RoS sorta counts, except as far as I can tell the FO are there to get high like everyone else.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Snoke rules the galaxy for what, a week? And he spends that week obsessively hunting for Luke. So I'm not sure he ever really exercises his rule over anyone.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok, good answers! I was thinking a lot of the same stuff. But I think we can narrow it down more:

PeterWeller posted:

Snoke rules the galaxy for what, a week? And he spends that week obsessively hunting for Luke. So I'm not sure he ever really exercises his rule over anyone.

Snoke was already a famous political/religious leader - before Luke Skywalker went into exile. Judging by FN’s age, since he was indoctrinated as a toddler, Snoke’s been in power for well over 20 years. So, by the time of TLJ, Snoke and his followers had been gaining power in “the Outer Rim” for decades, using the money he earned in the mining industry. What I noticed is that we don’t see any of that. It’s 20 years of pure, vague exposition.

The actual focus is exclusively on the First Order military - and the First Order military isn’t actually First Order. Why not? Because the FO military (led by Hux) was specifically created by Palpatine as a way to hide and arm all his old supporters in preparation for an eventual coup against Snoke. So, every “First Order” troop we see onscreen is actually just a straight-up Imperial preparing to destroy the actual First Order, which is effectively never shown. There are only a handful of possible exceptions:

-The Irish gangsters.
-Goth-looking lady with the radio in Maz’ bar.

These guys are First Order sympathizers but, like young Ben Solo, probably not actually living under FO rule. Both refer to the FO as this separate entity, like they aren’t really a part of it. However, they may just be referring to the FO military that way? Unclear!

-DJ

DJ probably wasn’t a First Order citizen, given that he was arrested in Canto Bight (a New Republic world). However, it seems pretty clear that he defects to the First Order at the end of the film, while still refusing to join their military. So, he is likely the first and only FO civilian we encounter. For about two minutes. Then Snoke dies, and Kylo Ren is supreme leader for a year. What’s life like under him?

-Lando Calrissian & Friends.

Living under Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, Lando apparently spent his time getting blunted on the Burning Man planet. Babu Frick is also running a droid repair biz with Felicity. Seems like things are actually really great???

Then the dead speak! Palpatine does his military coup and immediately transforms the First Order into the New Empire - dumping a ton of new funding into child abduction, blowing up random planets for no clear reason, etc. Within days, Lando and all the other First Order civilians are flying in to kick Palpatine’s rear end.

So, in conclusion, the First Order are all pretty clearly living well as good guys, except insofar as they tolerate (or are unaware of) Hux’s dumbass secret supervillain nonsense.

General Dog posted:

Rey and Unkar Plut, I guess? The First Order seems to operate pretty freely on Jaku/Tatooine, though it’s unclear if they actively occupy it. I would think yes, if the planet has its own Resistance pocket (if that’s what Max von Sydow and his people were)

It is unclear there, but imma say no. As established earlier, Max is there to search through the ruins of Luke’s temple. Rey is living homeless on a lawless Tatooine, but it’s probably (still) New Republic territory.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2020

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Is this supposed to be legit Disney canon or your own theories?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Lol you still believe in Canon.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Everything I wrote is directly from the films.

It may not be 'Disney Canon', however, because I am consciously ignoring the EU retcon clusterfuck.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rose talks about life under the FO before she became a soldier (I guess she’s a sailor)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I'm not sure it's correct to say Snoke is famous. He's not even the public face of the First Order it seems.

And I'm not sure the First Order rules over a civilian population prior to blowing up the senate. They have to kidnap children (and their other option is clones) to man their war machine, implying that they don't have their own population to draw from. And while you may say that someone has to build that war machine, this is Star Wars. It could be slaves (droids) or it could be some thing, automated factories or even some Star Forge kinda relic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

I'm not sure it's correct to say Snoke is famous. He's not even the public face of the First Order it seems.

Nope; when Kylo Ren was a kid, everyone was aware that he had a growing interest in Snoke’s ideas. It’s why Luke tries to kill him.

Euphonious is also correct that Rose vaguely describes growing up under First Order rule as a child - with the interesting detail that Snoke initially rose to power on her world nonviolently.

Plus, there’s just the obvious fact that the Resistance exists purely to resist Snoke, and has been going around doing black ops against him for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol you still believe in Canon.

My favorite books are the original Thrawn Trilogy. I'm at the point in my life where what matters is if I enjoy a story, not what is 'canon'.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around Disney's terrible clusterf*ck of Star Wars and their even more terrible attempts to make it make any sense with tons of comic tie-ins.