Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My iPhone 7 Plus still feels fine and new to me. 2016 was when your buddy got elected. Guess it makes sense my next phone is 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
browsing the net on an old SE is real slow. kind of silly really.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rinkles posted:

It should run YouTube, the Wikipedia app, and Awful.app just fine. Does anybody ever need a phone for much more than that??????

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Page size just keeps increasing, web devs can’t optimize.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Pivo posted:

I'm sure like 90% of that is just ad tracking javascript

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pivo posted:

Adblocking helps.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh I used to work on the backend of an ad exchange and I now work in performance marketing analytics (99% bullshit), trust me I know. I do run Adblock everywhere I can - even at work, haha.

Adtech is hella inefficient I know, all the exchanges/platforms care about is their own latency, offload anything to the client that you can used to be the way people thought. They’re not even that careful with their own latency, header bidding is 99.9% wasted requests even between SSPs/DSPs! They are optimizing (trying to optimize) for mobile these days though, it’s no secret that slower page loads hurt the publishers. Adtech moves sloooow.

Anyhow I don’t just mean adtech. Everyone is ballooning page size with their own JS. Framework on top of framework and tons of dynamic elements loading things on demand. Big publishers will optimize their stuff, you won’t see egregious page sizes on super heavily trafficked well resourced companies sites - usually - but go load some crap like your bank’s website with dev tools open, online stores, blogs, etc. You’ll see heavy assets, tons of JavaScript activity, tons of requests.

Page size grows with or without adtech, but adtech is an egregious offender to be fair. Adblock rules.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Anyhow “web devs can’t optimize” is because often web dev is treated as a red headed stepchild of dev because “anyone can do it” so you get inexperienced people who are in a rush to deliver using whatever Easy Button they can find to get results. Unless leadership pushes back on page size and load times they will do anything that works. They test on desktop and it’s fine, test on mobile on LAN on mostly new devices and it’s mostly fine. Then someone uses a device with less RAM to load your poo poo from India over cellular and their experience is just god awful and it never really gets back to the dev team.

In general. I’m sure people will post that their team is the exception itt

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Every time I search for something like “target near me” via spotlight the results (for Maps.app) are always in Miami. I am nowhere near Miami nor have I ever been there. Anyone know how to fix this?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

While I’m solliloquizing about adtech, you should know at the exchange we were proud to serve dozens of billions of slot requests per day, which could generate 100+ requests to DSPs each, and we’d make money off maybe 3% ... of the slot requests.

There’s a lot of electricity burned on adtech.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time I search for something like “target near me” via spotlight the results (for Maps.app) are always in Miami. I am nowhere near Miami nor have I ever been there. Anyone know how to fix this?

Do you have location services disabled for System Services? Check that. If so,

Are you on VPN? If not,

IP geolocation is inaccurate for your IP probably because your ISP has their registration there or an interconnect there. I’m in Toronto and my IP geolocation often puts me in Ottawa (??) or Chatham (ISP’s HQ).

You could turn on Location Services, you could get a VPN and use a server in your home town.

You could also try setting your home address in your My Card contact card (top of Contacts.app). Not sure if Apple reads this to be honest but Google for example will remember where Home is if you tell it, so Google Maps will assume if you’re logged in and it can’t geolocate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pivo posted:

Do you have location services disabled for System Services? Check that. If so,

Are you on VPN? If not,

IP geolocation is inaccurate for your IP probably because your ISP has their registration there or an interconnect there. I’m in Toronto and my IP geolocation often puts me in Ottawa (??) or Chatham (ISP’s HQ).

You could turn on Location Services, you could get a VPN and use a server in your home town.

You could also try setting your home address in your My Card contact card (top of Contacts.app). Not sure if Apple reads this to be honest but Google for example will remember where Home is if you tell it, so Google Maps will assume if you’re logged in and it can’t geolocate.

It was the VPN. Thanks!

For some reason this location was also listed as my “home” under significant locations:

I have no idea what happened there lol.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I worked in adtech for five years and on one hand I’m very pleased to be out but on the other all the engineers were evil geniuses that could get anything to work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

There are so many apps on iOS 14 asking permission for local network bullshit but it never explains why. Why does the Chase app need this? 1Password? Google Photos? :shrug:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Boris Galerkin posted:

There are so many apps on iOS 14 asking permission for local network bullshit but it never explains why. Why does the Chase app need this? 1Password? Google Photos? :shrug:
Yeah, some of these are a goooood question. Chase and Airbnb are my :wtf:’s so far.

Although I learned (and this makes sense) that saying no means an app can’t find a Chromecast (so Google Photos probably ticks that box for why it might ask ).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Probably using Bonjour to look for compatible devices on the network. (Edit: Any Chromecast support will do this yes, Chromecast uses mDNS so like Bonjour requires read/write multicast to the LAN)

Eg 1Password supports WLAN sync https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

They probably init an enumeration on load, or simply compiling with the API will add it to the perms list, not sure haven’t done iOS in a while.

For apps with no clear use for it, might be part of some sort of internal feature (for Corp users) or a feature in a framework they include. They’ll need to update the app to avoid triggering the perm.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 7, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rinkles posted:

It’s actually been still ok for me more or less. The less part mostly being a long lockup on start sometimes for whatever reason, before even loading anything. Everything else is responds fine still, it’s just Safari that’s stuck for a while. I’ve seen it sometimes on my iPad mini 5 too.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
My old iPhone SE is still really fast. I turned on ‘Reduce Motion’ in the Accessibility menu, which might help with responsiveness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
    "iTunes Dark Mode Cannot Work? How to Fix?

There are situations when iTunes dark mode may not work normally or keep resetting to normal mode. Some users have reported such an iTunes issue and if you are one of them, then you need to fix iTunes using an iTunes repair software called iMyFone TunesFix."

seems legit

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just bought my first iphone, an SE. I've never really used one before, what are some helpful starting tips coming from android? I'm transferring things with move to iOS now

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Start fresh and don't rely on Move to iOS. The keyboard not being great is going to be the hardest thing to get used too compared to Android

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just use gboard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Your phone should come with a Tips app installed. Look through it before deleting it cause it actually has useful information that even seasoned iPhone users don’t know/forgot about.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You’re gonna have to really decouple the mindset of janitoring your phone and dealing with file systems. Some things are gonna seem real frustrating but just let the phone deal with it and you should be great.

In a year you will be back in the thread bitching about “Other” eating up all your storage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Accept the notifications are poo poo and rather than trying to fight them, just ignore them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sourdough posted:

Accept the notifications are poo poo and rather than trying to fight them, just ignore them

the only things allowed to put notifications on my phone is messages and my washing machine. nothing else.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do third party keyboards ignore my contacts? I’m so sick of autocorrect trying to turn words into things drawn from there.

I had a friend in my contacts as Troy Murder, now the word murder always gets capitalized. Lots of other random words get forced into proper nouns, I think those are coming from contacts too.

That doesn’t explain why the words something and going end up as something g and going g but if another keyboard will stop it maybe I should try.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Start fresh and don't rely on Move to iOS. The keyboard not being great is going to be the hardest thing to get used too compared to Android

I just used it to move over contacts and message history. And yeah, the keyboard is poo poo.

sourdough posted:

Just use gboard

Gonna have to look into that. I think my biggest issue is that punctuation doesn't seem to be easily accessible like it is with android. Same with no long presses for numbers.

sourdough posted:

Are they supposed to just disappear into the ether after they pop up?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

fknlo posted:

Or alternatively, coming back over and over? I routinely have notifications from 5+ days ago in Notification Center.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fknlo posted:

I just used it to move over contacts and message history. And yeah, the keyboard is poo poo.

Gonna have to look into that. I think my biggest issue is that punctuation doesn't seem to be easily accessible like it is with android. Same with no long presses for numbers.

I don't remember exactly what gboard on iOS looks like, but I def liked it better than stock. I don't think it has long press number key shortcuts, unfortunately.

For notifications, yeah they're less persistent, they're less functional, they're more annoying to clear out, they're grouped weirdly, and you have to do much bigger movements to pull down the shade or swipe notifications. On iOS, I click a banner notification when it pops up if I want to deal with it right then, and otherwise ignore the notification shade. Compared to android, where for a ton of apps I don't even go into the app very often, just handle all incoming actions from notifications (gmail, alarms, calendar, messaging, 2FA apps).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sourdough posted:

I don't remember exactly what gboard on iOS looks like, but I def liked it better than stock. I don't think it has long press number key shortcuts, unfortunately.

For notifications, yeah they're less persistent, they're less functional, they're more annoying to clear out, they're grouped weirdly, and you have to do much bigger movements to pull down the shade or swipe notifications. On iOS, I click a banner notification when it pops up if I want to deal with it right then, and otherwise ignore the notification shade. Compared to android, where for a ton of apps I don't even go into the app very often, just handle all incoming actions from notifications (gmail, alarms, calendar, messaging, 2FA apps).
Gboard has something with numbers iirc but forget how it works. The stock keyboard has some punctuation shortcuts but they're hidden I think...like I know some by muscle memory but can't remember what they are off the top of my head right now :iiam:

For notifications, note you can pull them down (or 3D/long press from lock/notifications screen) and depending on the app they can show more info and provide some quick actions without needing to switch apps.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like Swiftkey personally.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The main thing people new to iPhones need to remember is that you only ever need to force quit an app if it has crashed right in front of you. Closing all your recently used apps to “free up memory” is a waste of time since iOS is pretty good at doing that for you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My 6S Plus is having an issue where the rear camera is constantly shaking (guess the OIS is busted) - is this something repairable by a third party?

e: Ideally for less than the cost of the SE 2 :v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
iOS 14 beta people - can the Maps widget be changed to show transit time rather than driving time for whatever location it’s saying I would probably go to next? I have tried both walking and public transit as my preferred travel methods in Settings but they don’t seem to modify the widget.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ijyt posted:

My 6S Plus is having an issue where the rear camera is constantly shaking (guess the OIS is busted) - is this something repairable by a third party?

e: Ideally for less than the cost of the SE 2 :v:

Absolutely not.

The repair is entirely possible but it's gonna cost you when done by a third party.

If the camera itself works fine and it's just loose in the housing, that's fairly easy and not all that expensive. Replacing the module with a new one is either a choice between a lovely third party part or way more money than it's worth, especially given a 6S at this point is real likely to develop other faults before long.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My friend has recently moved to China, but wants to keep her Apple account region as UK so that it doesn’t affect her Apple Music library and playlists and stuff by changing her region, but she needs an app from the Chinese App Store.

She should just be able to sign out, create a new Apple ID with China set as the country, download the app, then sign out again and back with her old account info, right?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Question Mark Mound posted:

My friend has recently moved to China, but wants to keep her Apple account region as UK so that it doesn’t affect her Apple Music library and playlists and stuff by changing her region, but she needs an app from the Chinese App Store.

She should just be able to sign out, create a new Apple ID with China set as the country, download the app, then sign out again and back with her old account info, right?

Iirc you can’t update the Chinese app afterwards.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m in the same situation but different countries. If your friend signs into another account she’ll be blocked from accessing her Apple Music library on that device for 30 days. It’s extremely irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Honj Steak posted:

Iirc you can’t update the Chinese app afterwards.

I don't use Apple Music so I can't comment on Creature's caveat, but unless there's something specific about China's App Store updates, you most definitely can update apps from other countries' App Stores when you're signed into a different Apple ID/app store. It used to prompt for the password of the other country's account rather than just update as soon as you hit the button, but for me at least, now it works fine totally seamlessly. I use apps from the app stores of three different countries, all update fine even when I'm just signed into my primary (US) account.