Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1303265637289074691

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

As I am working from home a lot more now, where is a good place to get a decent chair? A dining room chair with a cushion on it isn't that great - and I thought with all these businesses not using their offices if there was a good place to pick up second hand furniture that has coagulated years of slime all over (or maybe a new chair come to think of it)

Also - is there a double-size chair or something I can use with two seats? My cat likes to sit next to me and feel this would save on sitting on the keyboard or directly behind me.

e: the cat, not myself sitting on the keyboard

https://www.2ndhnd.com/

Bought a Steelcase Leap from these guys a few years ago and it's great. When I got it it was impossible to tell that it wasn't brand new (I doubt it had ever actually been used).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jedit posted:

The Tories have realised that they no longer even have to half-arse it. They're literally just handing out millions to their mates under the guise of procurement with no expectations that anything will be done.

Yeah it's become completely out in the open and the media helps them because the media has massive normalcy bias.

The last thing they will ever do is point out the country has become a corrupt tinpot oligarchy because that would make them courtiers of it.

They want to be the free press of an advanced democracy, so a lot of it is them lying to themselves.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

peanut- posted:

https://www.2ndhnd.com/

Bought a Steelcase Leap from these guys a few years ago and it's great. When I got it it was impossible to tell that it wasn't brand new (I doubt it had ever actually been used).

Thanks, I'll take a look! I thought I might be able to get one of those radiator beds for cats and mount it on one of the arms, though hopefully this wouldn't be unbalanced if I got up.

Death Stranding but you're working from home and balancing cats on your arms

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Why are journalists still using terms like "massive ructions" as though Parliament is still working normally and as though the last 4 years of illegally proroguing parliament, lying to the house and all the other poo poo hasn't happened?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because "entirely inconsequential resignations which will in no way impede the government in its quest to do the stupidest thing possible" doesn't sound interesting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

The big brained centrists like no deal brexit now

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1303006536256675842?s=19

Politicsball.txt. The important part is winning the game, not the people that winning or losing the game affects.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Because "entirely inconsequential resignations which will in no way impede the government in its quest to do the stupidest thing possible" doesn't sound interesting.

It does somewhat undermine the scandal when the government's response is "good we hate these people and want them to quit"

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

drive-by meltdown skip this post

COVID is on the up again as literally everyone with a brain predicted and the messaging about it is driving me fully insane
literally in the same loving news article it will be like,
paragraph summary: "cases are rising because the public isn't careful enough. we all need to follow precautions or your grandma will die"
literally the next loving paragraph: "we really need to get back to normal. send your kids to school, get back in the office, go to the gym and spend money and if people lose their jobs it's your fault for being a coward"
just zero attempt to make this poo poo fit together, anything and everything is the public's fault for not following contradictory orders. i hate this loving country and its lazy government and arselick media i hate it i hate it so much. really nice practice run for blaming us for starving after Glourios No Deal Brexit because we didn't Pick Strawberries For Britain or some bullshit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

vaguely posted:

COVID is on the up again as literally everyone with a brain predicted and the messaging about it is driving me fully insane
paragraph summary: "cases are rising because the public isn't careful enough. we all need to follow precautions or your grandma will die"
literally the next loving paragraph: "we really need to get back to normal. send your kids to school, get back in the office, go to the gym and spend money and if people lose their jobs it's your fault for being a coward"
just zero attempt to make this poo poo fit together, anything and everything is the public's fault for not following contradictory orders. i hate this loving country and its lazy government and arselick media i hate it i hate it so much. really nice practice run for blaming us for starving after Glourios No Deal Brexit because we didn't Pick Strawberries For Britain or some bullshit

Were already into the "didn't harvest enough wheat you scroungers, sez obese PM" stage and we haven't even done brexit yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

The big brained centrists like no deal brexit now

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1303006536256675842?s=19
Johnson's threat to use Trident on Galway is actually a genius move, because there's no way that the centrist Tories in the Red Belt will support it.

OwlFancier posted:

You can see where vanguardists get the idea from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88nMWvCZSY
*5 minutes later* We regret to inform you that the true vanguard of the masses is a nonce.

justcola posted:

As I am working from home a lot more now, where is a good place to get a decent chair? A dining room chair with a cushion on it isn't that great - and I thought with all these businesses not using their offices if there was a good place to pick up second hand furniture that has coagulated years of slime all over (or maybe a new chair come to think of it)
I just got an office chair off ebay.

justcola posted:

Also - is there a double-size chair or something I can use with two seats? My cat likes to sit next to me and feel this would save on sitting on the keyboard or directly behind me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

I have to change which chair I use every week - what is comfortable one week causes my back to spasm the next. No one chair suits all the time.

As to kitty: there are things called 'love seats' which are extra wide chairs/mini sofas for lovey dovey couples to snuggle on eg you and your kitty.

eg: https://loaf.com/products/love-seats

(Not used, no connection etc, just to illustrate!)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

justcola posted:

centrist based accelerationism in order to get a leader in who agrees with everything the government are doing anyway. Don't know if my brain is big enough for that kind of 4D chess.

Chair chat:

I have an ikea Markus I like which is not exactly cheap but a really good chair without fully breaking the bank.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

vaguely posted:

Jenrick, this morning:

"We have to keep hammering the message home. Of course the people in those age categories are unlikely to become extremely unwell as a result of having the virus.

"But they are able to pass it on to others," he said.

"There's a responsibility on younger people to not just stay at home, obviously to go out and go to work and to enjoy pubs and restaurants, but to do so in accordance with the guidelines."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mate I don't enjoy pubs and restaurants normally I aint starting cos it's more likely to kill me.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

All office chairs are trash and the dining table chair is likely better for you of you are sitting with good posture and periodically stand up and stretch. Also try and move to standing for at least an hour a day. Keyboard and mouse position are perhaps even more important because they determine your body position - the amount of time your hands spend outside the line of your shoulders should be minimised. If you are right handed and use a keyboard with a numpad trash it, the size of it will be forcing your mouse arm too far out and will cause shoulder issues.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

she seems remarkably unscathed by the Island

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://www.reyooz.com/ takes things from office clear outs and sells them on (used to be given away for cost of shipping but that’s changed recently).

I got a great standing desk from them for feee (£25 carriage) a while back.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

All these MPs are Waaaaay too normal.

I think cause fusing together different MPs is a fools game when most British posh people at this point you can only recreate by fusing the same people together for several generations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I hope everyone is excited by the Leveling Up Task Force

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
'Bulldoze everything flat' counts as level, yeah?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

"There's a responsibility on younger people to not just stay at home, obviously to go out and go to work and to enjoy pubs and restaurants, but to do so in accordance with the guidelines."
Some wonderful "we only let you exist because we feed off your consumption, so consume you loving ants" mask off work there.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

CancerCakes posted:

If you are right handed and use a keyboard with a numpad trash it, the size of it will be forcing your mouse arm too far out and will cause shoulder issues.

You'll pry my numpad from my seized up hand!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Bobstar posted:

You'll pry my numpad from my seized up hand!

I got a numpadless keyboard recently and I don't miss it. Trash the pad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Numpads are worth it if you do a lot of calculations/spreadsheet work by touch. Really it's's the arrow keys and page up/down they could scrap, it's all on the numpad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could just move the keyboard further left. I usually sit with the right edge of the keyboard centerline with the monitor.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Numpads are worth it if you do a lot of calculations/spreadsheet work by touch. Really it's's the arrow keys and page up/down they could scrap, it's all on the numpad.

Those keys are vital for people without a mouse wheel.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You could just move the keyboard further left.
That's what cost us the election! Nodding along with Dominic Cummings's advice to ram my entire keyboard up my backside is actually genius because it gives Sir Keir much more to forensically criticize later.

e: ^^^ They're also all on the numpad if you turn num lock off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
There's a short story by Frederick Pohl about over-production and compulsory consumption quotas. The higher your social status, the less you have to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midas_World

In the story, the plebs are required to buy lots of unnecessary stuff because it keeps being made. The higher your social status, the less stuff you have to buy.

quote:

"The Midas Plague" (originally published in Galaxy in 1954). In a world of cheap energy, robots are overproducing the commodities enjoyed by mankind. The lower-class "poor" must spend their lives in frantic consumption, trying to keep up with the robots' extravagant production, while the upper-class "rich" can live lives of simplicity. Property crime is nonexistent, and the government Ration Board enforces the use of ration stamps to ensure that everyone consumes their quotas. The story deals with Morey Fry, who marries a woman from a higher-class family. Raised in a home with only five rooms she is unused to a life of forced consumption in their mansion of 26 rooms, nine automobiles, and five robots, causing arguments. Trained as an engineer, Morey modifies his robots to enjoy helping to consume his family's quota. He fears punishment when his idea is discovered, but the Ration Board—which has been looking for a way to abolish itself—quickly implements Morey's idea across the world.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope everyone is excited by the Leveling Up Task Force

Going around in circles looking for fights is basically how we ran the empire, so we should be good at levelling up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
An earthquake with a magnitude 3.3 has been felt across several towns in England

quote:

Carly Jan Smith, 31, in Dunstable, said it was "really strong" and lasted for about two seconds. Her whole room went from "side to side", she said.

TFW you're so thick you don't even realise you're telling everyone how thick you are

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1302979227369734145

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

You could just move the keyboard further left. I usually sit with the right edge of the keyboard centerline with the monitor.

Or swivel your chair a few degrees right and your hand will be on the mouse without your elbow or shoulder changing angle. Assuming that you have a swivel chair, that is.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Or just slowly slouch ever more and more over the course of the day in your chair, then slouch more in your chair all night to play video games and repeat until your spine is so bent that you look like a horseshoe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bureaulocal/status/1303291381767712769?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I got a numpadless mechanical keyboard and a seperate USB numpad, which I put on the left of the keyboard in case I need it.

Which I do, because it turns out the keyboard is a reskinned US layout, so they didn't leave space for the \ key. Which is not great if you intend to learn to code, or you play older games which map functions to it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm probably the only person in the thread who still uses retail shops. Anyway, waiting for the bus home I decided to pop into Game as it's the father's birthday coming up in a week. They had moved it. Now Game has moved inside Sports Direct, a natural fit.

Did Mike Ashley just buy up Game when I wasn't looking?

Inverness High Street is such a graveyard now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

This guy's the head of the government's legal team. Losing senior expertise in all our international legal disputes with hard Brexit right around the corner seems like it might be a tad consequential.

Resignations matter because they remove talent and make it more difficult to hire new talent. The degree to which a resignation matters depends on the degree to which that skillset is useful to the government. So, sometimes they're acceptable losses because you're restructuring the government in a way that no longer requires that kind of expertise, and because they're standing for principles you no longer care about, but creating too much of a brain-drain usually ends in you getting utterly rinsed as foreign and non-state actors take advantage of your utter dogshit institutional incompetence.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Did Mike Ashley just buy up Game when I wasn't looking?

Yep. Happened last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

floofyscorp posted:

Yep. Happened last summer.

Well that explains a lot