Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

This guy's the head of the government's legal team. Losing senior expertise in all our international legal disputes with hard Brexit right around the corner seems like it might be a tad consequential.

Resignations matter because they remove talent and make it more difficult to hire new talent. The degree to which a resignation matters depends on the degree to which that skillset is useful to the government. So, sometimes they're acceptable losses because you're restructuring the government in a way that no longer requires that kind of expertise, and because they're standing for principles you no longer care about, but creating too much of a brain-drain usually ends in you getting utterly rinsed as foreign and non-state actors take advantage of your utter dogshit institutional incompetence.

If their objective is to have the worst possible brexit outcome, which to all evidence it appears to be, then I don't see how the resignation hurts them at all, the conservatism of the last several years has been entirely about simply causing as much damage as possible to literally everything possible and stealing as much money as possible.

Yes it harms the country but the country isn't the goverment, the government will simply sail out of their jobs into some other role because that's how it works for rich people. Turns out you never run out of other people's money when it comes to jobs for the rich.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Inverness High Street is such a graveyard now

Swindon was a husk barely dragging itself along when we went there Saturday. The entire place is covered in grafitti and all the shops in the mall were closed or having a closing down sale. I know it doesn't have a great reputation but it looked like the place was on the verge of abandonment.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Lungboy posted:

"There's a responsibility on younger people to not just stay at home, obviously to go out and go to work and to enjoy pubs and restaurants, but to do so in accordance with the guidelines."

Could we maybe compromise? Have someone set up a website where people could just send money to Tory donors directly, without having to go out and breathe pandemic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I got a numpadless mechanical keyboard and a seperate USB numpad, which I put on the left of the keyboard in case I need it.

Which I do, because it turns out the keyboard is a reskinned US layout, so they didn't leave space for the \ key. Which is not great if you intend to learn to code, or you play older games which map functions to it.

My laptop has a US & Arabic (double alphabet keys) so while I have set the system to UK, some of the peripheral keys don't behave well and some of the lettering is in different places eg to get £ I have to press shift+3 which shows hashtag (or 'pound' to US persons). To get @ I have to press shift ', to get " I have to press shift 2. I have to use the right hand alt + \ key to get \ to appear.
And I'm continually forgetting what I have to press to get the hashtag so I often end up just copying and pasting it from somewhere else, then another day I'll remember it on autopilot! Now I'm going to waste half an hour trying to figure it out again.*

(My party piece was managing to achieve 20wpm touch typing in arabic on a keyboard that had NO arabic labels on it. Can't do it now and my keyboard does have arabic labelling).

* found it! It's on the key labelled \ so if I just press that key without the right-hand alt I get # I'm going to write a little sticky note and stick on my laptop now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 8, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

radmonger posted:

Could we maybe compromise? Have someone set up a website where people could just send money to Tory donors directly, without having to go out and breathe pandemic.

That's what Housing Benefit is already, going by that tweet Jose posted on the last page.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1303295091927326723

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LastQuake/status/1303256555220086785

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boris getting some pushback on this latest move

https://twitter.com/Tobias_Ellwood/status/1303303143187451905?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I didn't feel anything BUT a helicopter ambulance has landed in the local park and I'm sitting near it waiting for it to take off, so that's my child-like excitement for the day sorted

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Mebh posted:

Or just slowly slouch ever more and more over the course of the day in your chair, then slouch more in your chair all night to play video games and repeat until your spine is so bent that you look like a horseshoe.

Everytime I walk past an old person hunched right over it reminds me to improve my posture and have my feet on the ground when I'm sat down (I tend to have them in a sort of praying/foetal position when sat down)

Plus I use the numpad for excel and MS Flight Simulator so I can't ditch that just yet. Problem with the dining chair I have is its just a wee bit short for my desk, but I'm sure minor changes I could do now aren't worth bothering with to prevent agonising arthritis and back pain later in life.

because of robots

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just lol at the UK trying to criticise China in 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

justcola posted:

Everytime I walk past an old person hunched right over it reminds me to improve my posture and have my feet on the ground when I'm sat down (I tend to have them in a sort of praying/foetal position when sat down)

Plus I use the numpad for excel and MS Flight Simulator so I can't ditch that just yet. Problem with the dining chair I have is its just a wee bit short for my desk, but I'm sure minor changes I could do now aren't worth bothering with to prevent agonising arthritis and back pain later in life.

because of robots

If any of you youngsters out there are looking for a lucrative career 20 years from now - any of the professions involving manipulation of muscles etc will do it - the amount of neck and back problems that will face people in future is going to be huge.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol Brendan Lewis was asked if the government plans break international law, and instead of weaselling out of it he just said yes it does but it's fine.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The world is in a very good place when countries just admit international law is meaningless. Definitely a good stance for a weak country with no actual power to take.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i was asleep during the quake lol

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If any of you youngsters out there are looking for a lucrative career 20 years from now - any of the professions involving manipulation of muscles etc will do it - the amount of neck and back problems that will face people in future is going to be huge.

An ex was going to go into Occupational Health for this reason (don't know if she ever did)

It's good to learn though - I used to think there wasn't any support for post-grad courses (an MA) but you can get it as a loan now. And if you're cool enough to go back to your original university, some offer a 10% discount on courses (but you can still apply for a full loan so can keep a hundred quid or so each term)

The NHS also provide bursaries, so if you wanted to consider retraining they offer a wee bit of money towards that

https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/what-youll-get

There's also something called an Advanced Learner Loan

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

(one day I will go through all the .gov website and see all the various bursaries and support you can get but not told about. I still can't work out if the following is the HMRC payment from summer I wasn't eligible for or another thing for instance: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-self-employment-income-support-scheme )

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just also remember that 99% of things that bill themselves as "chiropractic" is woo woo horseshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My laptop has a US & Arabic (double alphabet keys)
reporting u too the home office for arabic numerals

I usually have my keyboard set to US, because having ' and " on the same key makes more sense and is faster for me than ' and @ and 2 and ". Mac keyboards get it right.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Looks like the epicentre is in the hellmouth triangle between Maidenhead, Slough and Windsor

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Looks like the epicentre is in the hellmouth triangle between Maidenhead, Slough and Windsor

They've since then adjusted the epicentre to be much closer to Milton Kenyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

reporting u too the home office for arabic numerals

I see what you did there... الله أكبر
But shouldn't that be Hindu numerals?

At least infamous terrorist الجبر uses letters not numbers.

(Apologies for anyone whose viewing system does not show arabic characters!)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

peanut- posted:

https://www.2ndhnd.com/

Bought a Steelcase Leap from these guys a few years ago and it's great. When I got it it was impossible to tell that it wasn't brand new (I doubt it had ever actually been used).

Seconding these guys. They are excellent. We bought like 8x Humanscale Freedom high-back chairs with headrests from them for £150 each (absolute bargain, they go for like £600+ new) and they were all in really good shape - they buy old office furniture in job lots and reupholster/refurbish it.

I think the reason we got them for that price was because we were buying 8, though.

Still, they have the ones without headrest for £159 and they are *truly excellent* chairs. I highly, highly recommend them. They are extremely adjustable and are rated as "24 hour" chairs.

https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/humanscale-freedom-med-back-chair-new-grey-fabric?_pos=3&_sid=9d233a14f&_ss=r

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There's a slogan around my work place that says "Free To Work Safe. If It's Not Safe Don't Do It" which reminded me of that Scarfolk Council (I think that's it) slogan of something like "If you're thinking about doing it. DON'T!"
Also made me laugh because when I saw it on Friday I was preparing to work inches from a rail that has 750 v DC running through it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1303136574490775556
https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1303137421194866695

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

About to spend 5 hours or so travelling to Newcastle via train I can't wait

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

chestnut santabag posted:

They've since then adjusted the epicentre to be much closer to Milton Kenyes:

Oh nice, that's like, 3km from where I used to work.

With any luck, the place has been swallowed by the earth.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Seconding these guys. They are excellent. We bought like 8x Humanscale Freedom high-back chairs with headrests from them for £150 each (absolute bargain, they go for like £600+ new) and they were all in really good shape - they buy old office furniture in job lots and reupholster/refurbish it.

I think the reason we got them for that price was because we were buying 8, though.

Still, they have the ones without headrest for £159 and they are *truly excellent* chairs. I highly, highly recommend them. They are extremely adjustable and are rated as "24 hour" chairs.

https://www.2ndhnd.com/products/humanscale-freedom-med-back-chair-new-grey-fabric?_pos=3&_sid=9d233a14f&_ss=r

I tried a Zento Smart Chair at work once and it was incredible, but I can't even get my boss to sign off on a stapler, there's zero chance of £800 for a single chair.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Here's a fun list of EU-law based employment rights and government indications that they want to change them, by Landau Law:

Brexit and employment rights posted:

Working time- This is an EU-based right. The UK has its well-known opt-out provisions in relation to the 48-hour working week. A future Government (especially Conservative one) is likely to favour employers having a more flexible approach and so remove this limit altogether. The rules which say that travelling time can count as working time may also be changed.

Holidays and holiday pay– This is an EU-based right. No significant changes are expected to holiday entitlement as the UK already exceeds the EU minimum (providing 5.6 weeks’ holiday as opposed to the EU minimum four weeks). What could be implemented, however, is a reversal of the current entitlement of workers on long-term sick or maternity leave to carry-over unused holiday entitlement to another leave year.

What could also be up for reversal is the requirement that employers must calculate holiday pay to reflect commission and overtime, which is presently subject to an EU ruling.

Collective redundancy consultation – This is an EU-based right.

Consultation periods were reduced in 2013 from 90 to 45 days for redundancies of 100 or more employees. There may be calls to increase the threshold of the number of affected employees, so that collective consultation is only triggered for redundancies of 100-plus rather than 20-plus, although trade unions would be likely to oppose this.

Other collective consultation rights may be subject to some change post-Brexit, to soften the requirements.

TUPE –This is an EU-based right.

There may be changes making it easier to harmonise terms and conditions following a transfer, or the watering-down of information and consultation rights.

Rights on insolvency –This is an EU-based right of employees to claim certain sums from the Secretary of State if their employer becomes insolvent, and is unlikely to change.

Agency workers –This is another EU-based right.

The right of agency workers to the same basic working conditions (for example, pay and annual leave) as equivalent permanent staff after 12 weeks was never warmly received when it was introduced either by the Government or employers, due to over regulation and complexity of the rules in practise. It is a likely candidate for change.

Discrimination- The UK already had protection against sex, race and disability discrimination pre-EU, but these rights have been extended by the EU, and additional protections added, including discrimination on the basis of age, religion, belief and sexual orientation.

It is unthinkable for any government to roll back the discrimination laws, which have become accepted (and expected) practise in the workplace. However, there may be a desire to introduce a cap on discrimination compensation (not currently allowed under EU law), similar to that for unfair dismissal, to deter spurious claims and cut the burden of compensation on employers.

Fixed-term employees- This is an EU-based right protecting fixed-term employees against less favourable treatment in comparison to permanent employees.Those arguing for less ‘red tape’ and a more ‘flexible’ labour market may target these rules.

Part-time workers –This is an EU-based right protecting part-time workers against less favourable treatment in comparison to full-time workers.
Those arguing for less ‘red tape’ and a more ‘flexible’ labour market may target these rules, however, some female part-time workers may be able to claim that any less favourable treatment amounted to indirect sex discrimination (since the majority of part-time workers tend to be female).

Data protection- This is an EU-based right

The GDPR may still be relevant if the UK severs all ties with Europe, especially in circumstances where a UK organisation processes the personal data of EU citizens.

Bankers bonuses – There is presently a cap for certain bankers which were introduced by EU regulations.The directive imposes a limit that means the bonus cannot be more than the amount of a yearly salary, which can rise to up to two times the salary with shareholder approval.

The Government doesn’t like the cap because it constrains the freedom of the banks to determine pay, which could put them at a disadvantage when hiring top staff compared with banks in the US or the far east. There are concerns also that this has led to banks offering a higher fixed salary, which cannot be clawed back – regardless of how staff perform. The bankers bonus cap could very well be abolished.

I mean, a particular depressing kind of fun anyway.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 8, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trying to get a respiratory condition diagnosed this year is really loving fun.

"You're coughing heavily at night? Probably covid, better have a test."
"Oh it's negative? Hopefully it'll go away on its own in a few weeks."
"It's the same after three months? That's long enough that you should have another test."
"The cough is far worse and you're struggling to catch your breath? Only covid could explain this change in symptoms." :bang:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well done extinction rebellion to being cop friendly

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1303330619456356354?s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I see what you did there... الله أكبر
But shouldn't that be Hindu numerals?

At least infamous terrorist الجبر uses letters not numbers.

(Apologies for anyone whose viewing system does not show arabic characters!)

This is one of those odd things that's hard to pin down. And a lot of people aren't aware that moden arabic doesn't actually always use "arabic" numerals as your average european person would understand them.

e: some arabic countries do use them, I was a bit inaccurate there
٠ ١ ٢ ٣ ٤ ٥ ٦ ٧ ٨ ٩ <- those are the ones used in (most) contemporary arab countries

Something something I can't really express myself properly and need edits.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 8, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

This is one of those odd things that's hard to pin down. And a lot of people aren't aware that moden arabic doesn't actually always use "arabic" numerals as your average european person would understand them.

e: some arabic countries do use them, I was a bit inaccurate there

^^^ yes a lot of stuff nowadays uses western-style 'arabic' numerals :D (ie what we use.) - ok I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say there. The Arabic 'arabic' numerals don't look like the western (what we use) 'arabic' numerals. Ie we use 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and many arab countries use what you wrote (and bizarrely my keyboard set to Arabic is refusing to type the arabic numerals LOL). Also, I think some of the difference in number style with some languages that use arabic script (eg urdu, pashtu etc) is that they aren't in fact Arabic, just using the alphabet (as say German uses the same alphabet as UK but it's not the same language).

Most confusing if you are a westerner not paying attention is when they use ٥ for 5 and ٠ for 0. That's given some interesting electricity bills for some people!
Easiest way to remember the difference between ٧ (7) and ٨ (8) is to think "7 Up".

Also so much arabic printing is tiny so spotting the difference between say ٢ (2) and ٣ (3) without your glasses can also be a bit of a problem! Oh and reading ٦ (6) as 2 if you're not careful!

If I'm reading arabic stuff online, I normally have to magnify the browser considerably.
I can read arabic printing (and horribly mispronounce it if I don't know the word) - though I might not know the vocab, and some of the less ornate calligraphy, but most handwriting, forget it!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 8, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's always strange reading datasheets written in a non-Latin alphabet and then seeing Western/Hindu-Arabic numerals come up, usually in a completely different font.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

- ok I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say there. The Arabic 'arabic' numerals don't look like the western (what we use) 'arabic' numerals. Ie we use 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and many arab countries use what you wrote (and bizarrely my keyboard set to Arabic is refusing to type the arabic numerals LOL)

Yeah, I know a bit of Arabic myself, so I was aware of that, and really what I wanted to post. But, from googling around now, some Arab (for a given definition of "Arab", since I think it's mostly North Africa) countries do use ordinary (western Arabic) numerals. Hence western Arabic.

But then IIRC their modern form comes from Venetians, so perhaps they aren't really Arabic. But, then again, supposedly the adoption of the modern form of Hindu-Arabic numerals in the contemporary Arab world came after.

Either way yes, if you go to Saudi Arabia or somewhere near you will see the Hindu-Arabic (i.e. eastern Arabic) ones a lot, and the ones used in Europe mostly only in imported "western" (as in, in the usual contemporary sense, technology and such) contexts.

So the ones used by what we would understand as Arab people today are the Hindu-Arabic, not the western Arabic, and when talking to a person from there would be considered the true "Arabic" ones.

It's very confusing. All I was going for originally was "ha modern Arabs don't use the same numerals as we do". Which I obviously know you know, I didn't really mean you.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 8, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If their objective is to have the worst possible brexit outcome, which to all evidence it appears to be, then I don't see how the resignation hurts them at all, the conservatism of the last several years has been entirely about simply causing as much damage as possible to literally everything possible and stealing as much money as possible.

Yes it harms the country but the country isn't the goverment, the government will simply sail out of their jobs into some other role because that's how it works for rich people. Turns out you never run out of other people's money when it comes to jobs for the rich.

One important thing about that, though, is that you want to make sure you have an exit route and that your own colleagues aren't trying to screw you over in order to secure their own exit route with a hostile foreign non-state body. Not having reliable legal advice for your government means that you're less sensitive to approaching threats, and that infighting within your government is encouraged because the structure of government itself will not protect them if they suddenly find themselves needing to lawyer up. You can protect yourself to a certain extent by undermining the rule of law within your own country, but that makes fleeing to other countries more challenging by giving them material with which to gently caress you over if they so choose.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Well done extinction rebellion to being cop friendly

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1303330619456356354?s=19

It's ok just wait a few years and there'll be none left.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/adamjschwarz/status/1303307680329740288?s=21

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Does this mean we are now a Rogue State?
And if so, does that mean the US will instruct other countries to boycott us?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So when is the best time to begin stockpiling? I'm thinking the end of October to maximise time before things spoil but before Christmas hoarding begins. Once the Christmas shoppers have stripped everything it'll be too late before Brexit hits, and at this point I think that the EU is going to strictly enforce things at the borders on a basis of 'you made your bed, now lie in it' at the stroke of midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So when is the best time to begin stockpiling? I'm thinking the end of October to maximise time before things spoil but before Christmas hoarding begins. Once the Christmas shoppers have stripped everything it'll be too late before Brexit hits, and at this point I think that the EU is going to strictly enforce things at the borders on a basis of 'you made your bed, now lie in it' at the stroke of midnight.

Given the long life of most tinned stuff, just throw a few cans in whenever you shop. My golden rule for stockpiling is stuff that can be eaten straight from the can with no heating and no hydration (even if it tastes like poo poo maybe I'll keep the co-op spaghetti rings after all. No way I'll be eating those unless it's that or trying to catch a pigeon outside). Also, for me, gnothe seaton and all that, no NICE food such as canned custard or canned rice pud because that way the madness of going out in a mammoth tinned custard binge lies. (lesson learned from my Y2K stockpile. 6 months worth of canned custard lasted about 3 days).