Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also, lol, a graph with literally no sources. Completely unquestioned by any twitter comments.

edit: "Explains a lot" about a post that literally explains nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SerialKilldeer posted:

Similarly for computer science and engineering, as a lot of papers cite the R packages that they use for statistical analysis.

What are they classifying as "humanities" and "social sciences" anyway? (I have never been clear which one of those linguistics fits into.)

Considering it's tweeted by a Quillette editor, "humanities" probably means "stuff I don't like because it's too social-justice-y" and "social sciences" probably means "stuff I like because they ask cutting-edge questions like 'what if racism is good'"

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Wait the alien language was just confusing graphs all along?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

vyelkin posted:

Considering it's tweeted by a Quillette editor, "humanities" probably means "stuff I don't like because it's too social-justice-y" and "social sciences" probably means "stuff I like because they ask cutting-edge questions like 'what if racism is good'"

Don't worry, they'll just never provide any details, and leave it to the imagination of their suckers readers what is actually intended

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Also, lol, a graph with literally no sources. Completely unquestioned by any twitter comments.

edit: "Explains a lot" about a post that literally explains nothing

This is my fault for not additionally screencapping the image, which does have a source, Twitter just crops it in the embed:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Am I crazy but... Doesn't it make sense that humanities papers would mostly cite humanities papers? I'm trying to think how referencing a paper about geology, chemistry, engineering etc. would provide illumination to discussions of art or literature... History, I could see.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Depends on what they mean by "humanities." If it's, like, Shakespeare criticism, then you wouldn't expect citations from the sciences. Whereas philosophy would have some links to math and physics, linguistics would link to brain sciences among other things, and so on.

I'd also expect to see at least a few links between social sciences and biology. Biology also seems to be very poorly linked to the medical fields, which seems like a more interesting and concerning takeaway point than "lol humanities is dumb."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Digital humanities is big and growing, so you'd expect to see some computer science citations. Maybe 2010 is old enough that the links weren't that strong yet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Actually I now remember citing some pigment chemistry paper while writing an essay about Islamic calligraphy, so that's an example right there! I should probably be deported for even taking that class though, I'm certain, how unAmerican of me

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
OTOH maybe we should be glad some of the fields aren't trying to interact with each other

https://twitter.com/yellingatwind/status/1301700119419432960

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Physicists need to be encouraged to spend their time on physics and stay the gently caress away from everything else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

morallyobjected posted:

OTOH maybe we should be glad some of the fields aren't trying to interact with each other

First, we modeled the spherical students in a vacuum,

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

A student at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force to PARTY

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Physicists who think other sciences are as uncomplicated as their own should be guillotined along with the economists. Seriously, there is an epidemic of idiots with simplistic models trying to "solve" other sciences. I remember the model of language change that didn't take geography into account, leading to a 300 year journey from Norway to Iceland along with other less obvious dumb poo poo. Also it didn't take into account that empires and the like have been a thing, leading to since interesting results ...Everywhere in the world except possibly Polynesia.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

morallyobjected posted:

i mean that's less "different fields shouldn't interact with each other" and more "there should be a lot more focus on fields working together so that a pair of physicists don't think epidemiology is easy enough to pick up as a weekend project, endangering thousands"

also love the framing that it's the children who are primarily at fault as if it was a given that they should ignore the adults telling them that it's time to return to normal. yeah you can go back to campus in crowded classrooms (and have to or get in further debt) and also return to living on campus with roommates, but don't go to any events

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Physicists need to be encouraged to spend their time on physics and stay the gently caress away from everything else.

Also engineers need to be encouraged to construct contraptions that will detect them typing any sentence beginning with "as an engineer, I..." and smash their typing fingers with a mallet

As an engineer myself, I just see far too many colleagues spouting off about things they know dick-all about and it's embarasSHDFRVSDGRGSCS

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm much less bothered by physicists taking on an epidemiological study for a laugh than a university trusting an epidemiological study made by physicists having a laugh.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Jun 7, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm much less bothered by physicists taking on an epidemiological study for a laugh than a university trusting an epidemiological study made by physicists having a laugh.

This is the real issue. If you want to dip your toes into a new field then power to you: it's good self-improvement, and lots of fields are insular and can benefit from fresh ideas.

But nobody in a position of authority should implement such notions in a way that could affect people's lives, that is straight negligence.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

BonHair posted:

the model of language change that didn't take geography into account, leading to a 300 year journey from Norway to Iceland along with other less obvious dumb poo poo. Also it didn't take into account that empires and the like have been a thing, leading to since interesting results ...Everywhere in the world except possibly Polynesia.

Link please? That sounds interesting/infuriating.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phy posted:

Also engineers need to be encouraged to construct contraptions that will detect them typing any sentence beginning with "as an engineer, I..." and smash their typing fingers with a mallet

As an engineer myself, I

SMASH

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Phy posted:

As an engineer myself, I just see far too many colleagues spouting off about things they know dick-all about and it's embarasSHDFRVSDGRGSCS

You included "myself" in there, you clearly built this poorly and have nobody to blame but yourself. :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

Link please? That sounds interesting/infuriating.

It was a presentation unfortunately. The guy presenting it was politely taken down with very obvious points about Rome and mountains. I think he left rather embarrassed at least.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Physicists who think other sciences are as uncomplicated as their own should be guillotined along with the economists. Seriously, there is an epidemic of idiots with simplistic models trying to "solve" other sciences. I remember the model of language change that didn't take geography into account, leading to a 300 year journey from Norway to Iceland along with other less obvious dumb poo poo. Also it didn't take into account that empires and the like have been a thing, leading to since interesting results ...Everywhere in the world except possibly Polynesia.

Look those are all just complicating factors, for this study we can just assume that humans are frictionless spheres on a featureless plain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Look those are all just complicating factors, for this study we can just assume that humans are frictionless spheres on a featureless plain.

So it would have worked in Ohio?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is my fault for not additionally screencapping the image, which does have a source, Twitter just crops it in the embed:

Wow, what a rabbit hole. That citation cites another source that cites another source eventually, eventually there's an organization called "sci-tech strategies" that has numerous papers that deal with the overall question of knowledge connectivity in science, and none of their papers I can find is the original source of that specific image. They're just cited generally as "Mapofscience.com" I read as many of their papers that are about maps of science as I could get from their publication list.

Suffice it to say, the driving factor here is that humanties papers are very rarely published in science journals that they use for their sources.

The end. That's it. That's the whole story.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Wow, what a rabbit hole. That citation cites another source that cites another source eventually, eventually there's an organization called "sci-tech strategies" that has numerous papers that deal with the overall question of knowledge connectivity in science, and none of their papers I can find is the original source of that specific image. They're just cited generally as "Mapofscience.com" I read as many of their papers that are about maps of science as I could get from their publication list.

Suffice it to say, the driving factor here is that humanties papers are very rarely published in science journals that they use for their sources.

The end. That's it. That's the whole story.

LOL, owned.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Nah, man, I loving love reading science papers that I have no use for. Scihub rips

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Nah, man, I loving love reading science papers that I have no use for. Scihub rips

To be clear, I was suggesting that you have owned Dr. EvoCaliper by actually looking into the reference.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Phy posted:

:drat:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Phy posted:

Kansas.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be clear, I was suggesting that you have owned Dr. EvoCaliper by actually looking into the reference.

Turns out he gets to keep his six figure job spewing hate from a major publication no matter how many times he's wrong. So I guess I am the one who's owned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Turns out he gets to keep his six figure job spewing hate from a major publication no matter how many times he's wrong. So I guess I am the one who's owned.

:smith:

Although... Quillette? Major? I don't know about that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:smith:

Although... Quillette? Major? I don't know about that.

1.7 million hits per month isn't huge but it's more than a race bait rag deserves by about 6 orders of magnitude.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I liked this and I am sad it got lost in physics chat and ignored.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ikanreed posted:

Liking that geology doesn't connect at all to chemistry. Definitely a sign that this graph is meaningful and useful.

What are rocks? Where do they come from?

We just don’t know.

vyelkin posted:

To be mildly fair to them, they were never told it was a return to normal. Illinois says all gatherings over 50 people are still illegal so all classrooms are capped at 49 students plus one instructor, and it seems like classrooms are operating at way below capacity--like six people in a classroom that normally seats 30, or 30 in a classroom that normally seats 300. Illinois also supposedly has some super-advanced testing thing that's like 2% of all national testing every day and students have to go spit in a tube twice a week to be able to enter campus buildings. It's very much not returning to normal in crowded classrooms, though you can obviously respond that if these are the restrictions required to resume in-person instruction and the system breaks down if a single frat hosts a rager, then maybe just tell everyone to stay home and don't do in-person instruction?

Don’t worry. My BAC is only 0.07999%.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This is cool, but blame Reddit for the sizing problems!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Erainor posted:

This is cool, but blame Reddit for the sizing problems!

No ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The bigger issue is just having humanities a sliver of that chart when it requires its own separate chart

also the phrenology thing