Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've got no idea what several of those games even ARE. That's nuts. How did you even come across this, seeing as it has like 80 views?

Probably because another goon made it :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853&pagenumber=1087#post507894006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Looks like Star Renegades is coming out in a few hours. Videos look promising and streamers/reviewers seem to like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejxKlv4P5U

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Magitek posted:

Looks like Star Renegades is coming out in a few hours. Videos look promising and streamers/reviewers seem to like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejxKlv4P5U

Massive Damage also made Halcyon: Starbase Commander, which was a good game but got too repetitive over time. Some reviews hint that this might have the same issue. On the other hand, Massive Damage kept working on Halcyon for years after launch, so it might be worth waiting. (But it is coming out immediately on Game Pass.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone here been paying attention to the remaster of Kingdoms of Amaluar? I remember playing it way back in the day but I don't really have an opinion of it, and information about what's new/changed other than "we fixed the level scaling" is quite sparse.

Now that the 30X0 series is just around the corner I want to put AssCreed:Odyssey on hold so I can finish it on higher settings :v: Been looking for something else to play in the mean time. Started up Divinity: Original Sin 2 this weekend and it's fun but it's just so long my dumb ADHD brain has a hard time staying focused. I want to complete everything, so it takes me forever just to get out of Fort Joy and then I get bored because I feel like I'm never seeing anything new.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone here been paying attention to the remaster of Kingdoms of Amaluar? I remember playing it way back in the day but I don't really have an opinion of it, and information about what's new/changed other than "we fixed the level scaling" is quite sparse.
It gets mentioned every so often, but so far the consensus has boiled down to a resounding "meh." Amalur was kind of a generic game even when it was new. I don't feel any particular desire to touch it again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I remember being pretty whelmed when it came out. Wasn't bad, wasn't great but that's about all I can recall. IMO had the misfortune of coming out only a few months after Skyrim. Largely just bought it because I lived in Rhode Island at the time and wanted to support the state's stupid decision to give a first-time video game developer seventy five million loving dollars lol.

I guess I'll just save the money - funny how a price hasn't even been posted on Steam and it comes out today - and keep trying to play D:OS2.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any opinions on playing Green Hell co op?

Have played this for about ten hours with a friend. It's fun enough with some frustrations. For example, be prepared to use a guide unless you want to run around aimlessly for hours. The map is huge and the game doesn't give a lot of direction. Another annoyance is the almost invisible spiders and snakes that pretty much kill you in one hit with their poison. When you die you lose some of your stuff outright and some you can collect on the spot where you died. For the story, it doesn't recognize that there are two of you and instead plays out the single-player story beats for both of the players. But positives side, it's a quite good survival game and there are bound to be some funny moments like hearing the panicked screams of your friend when they are running away from a tiger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I guess I'll just save the money - funny how a price hasn't even been posted on Steam and it comes out today - and keep trying to play D:OS2.

Thats pretty standard when there isn’t a preorder, isn’t it? It’s going to be 40 bucks (per a dev in the steam forums) with a 10 percent launch discount, with an extra 50 percent off if you owned the regular version. I’m gonna grab it because I really enjoyed the original for some reason, the combat was a lot of fun and really varied, which is something it definitely had over Skyrim. There’s also going to be a version with the new DLC they’re making bundled in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Green Hell also has a weird FOV that is so bizarre that it has made it the first and only game I've ever played to give me motion sickness. It's like the camera is floating a few inches in front of your face, so there is this horrible swinging sensation to every movement you make. I never found a way to fix that before I gave up on it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordja posted:

Still a ways away, but Everspace 2 hits EA in December.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXWhvF-EEbs

I still remember the plot reveal at the end of the first game, the protag's sister finally explains what her deal is and what's going on with his constant cloning then dies flying very slowly into an obvious trap.

I couldn't help but chuckle, sure hope they weren't aiming for pathos with that one.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thats pretty standard when there isn’t a preorder, isn’t it? It’s going to be 40 bucks (per a dev in the steam forums) with a 10 percent launch discount, with an extra 50 percent off if you owned the regular version. I’m gonna grab it because I really enjoyed the original for some reason, the combat was a lot of fun and really varied, which is something it definitely had over Skyrim. There’s also going to be a version with the new DLC they’re making bundled in.

Ah, crap, I just realized I own it on Origin not Steam. So unless it's coming out there with the same discounts too I'm definitely not paying that much for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Alan Wake was a rough game for a lot of reasons, the 5 year production was just the excuse for a lot of the major issues. That it was originally an open world game then changed into a mostly linear episodic adventure actually worked really well because you're traveling to all this distinctive locations that are all tied into the same town with it's dark mysterious New England spookiness vibe going on.

The best part of the game was mostly everything that wasn't the main plot though. It's like they hired a writer known for writing Star Wars/Trek genre fiction and told them to write something like Twin Peaks. All the little details about how things have always been "off" in the town for decades/centuries really built up the feel of the whole town as a character which is kind of a major point, but Alan Wake himself is a bit of a dud, especially when talked about being hugely important in game.

Combined, the games with the DLC episodes and the 'sequel' American Nightmare are definitely worth $20. The sequel focused more heavily on the combat and is much more fun for it despite being a 4-5 hour game max.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

Alan Wake was a rough game for a lot of reasons, the 5 year production was just the excuse for a lot of the major issues. That it was originally an open world game then changed into a mostly linear episodic adventure actually worked really well because you're traveling to all this distinctive locations that are all tied into the same town with it's dark mysterious New England spookiness vibe going on.
However, it also explains a lot about some of its major issues. One of the most criticized aspects of Alan Wake at the time was the sense of sameyness to many of the locations you had to traverse. The extensive sections featuring dark, empty, and largely visually identical forests were particularly criticized. It all makes a lot more sense when you realize that the game was originally designed to be open-world, though. The problem is simply that any developer only has so much time to put into any given part of the game. An open world game, being much larger in scale, will have less attention being given to any single part of it than a more linear and limited game would. If they had concentrated on small, linear setpiece sections instead, they could have made them more visually distinct and interesting, but they didn't.

The design philosophy of the game world is incongruous with the way it ended up being used and the experience suffered for it. It's nothing if not a lesson for every developer to know what you want your game to be even before you start making it and then to stick to that decision, because changing course in the middle will likely get you a worse result than continuing to build on the existing framework, even when it starts to become clear that not all of it was a good idea.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

pentyne posted:

Combined, the games with the DLC episodes and the 'sequel' American Nightmare are definitely worth $20. The sequel focused more heavily on the combat and is much more fun for it despite being a 4-5 hour game max.

Contrarily, I remember basically nothing about either game except how dogshit I found American Nightmare because the writing is even worse, the combat is... well, y'know, it's there but not by any stretch of the imagination worth focusing on to the detriment of everything else, and as people have said, it's just the same 3 or so levels repeated ad nauseum.

I'm well aware AN is quite polarizing though, so take it for what it's worth.

E: oh yeah I also remember the gaudy product placements in the DLC episodes. I fuckin lost it when you're talking to a light in the sky and suddenly it quotes the old Verizon commercial tagline while you're restocking your flashlight with Energizer batteries

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 8, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xarbala posted:

I still remember the plot reveal at the end of the first game, the protag's sister finally explains what her deal is and what's going on with his constant cloning then dies flying very slowly into an obvious trap.

I couldn't help but chuckle, sure hope they weren't aiming for pathos with that one.

Never played it lol, not into roguelikes. But I could definitely go for a new Freelancerlike.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xarbala posted:

Felt to me they just wanted an excuse for loops - and I thought this one was a little clever tbh - rather than tugging at heartstrings

Looking forward to #2 hitting early access, it qualifies for jumping in early to me

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Was the first one good?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Was the first one good?

It was pretty alright on sale but after I completed a single full run I didn't stick with it after that. Also I remember navigating those locked wrecks/stations (?) for rare salvage being pretty irritating.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The flying and combat in Everspace felt pretty good, but it was too much of a roguelite to really be the experience I tend to want from a space game. If you're alright with the whole thing being build around short runs, it's decent.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And if you want something that's more freeform, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is out on the 22nd on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/910830/Rebel_Galaxy_Outlaw/

I found it fun as heck, but it is basically modernized Wing Commander: Privateer for better or worse.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AngelesXO posted:

Have played this for about ten hours with a friend. It's fun enough with some frustrations. For example, be prepared to use a guide unless you want to run around aimlessly for hours. The map is huge and the game doesn't give a lot of direction. Another annoyance is the almost invisible spiders and snakes that pretty much kill you in one hit with their poison. When you die you lose some of your stuff outright and some you can collect on the spot where you died. For the story, it doesn't recognize that there are two of you and instead plays out the single-player story beats for both of the players. But positives side, it's a quite good survival game and there are bound to be some funny moments like hearing the panicked screams of your friend when they are running away from a tiger.

Cardiovorax posted:

Green Hell also has a weird FOV that is so bizarre that it has made it the first and only game I've ever played to give me motion sickness. It's like the camera is floating a few inches in front of your face, so there is this horrible swinging sensation to every movement you make. I never found a way to fix that before I gave up on it.

Hmm... well, we bought it so I guess we're gonna find out. Thanks for heads up though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And if you want something that's more freeform, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is out on the 22nd on Steam.

I found it fun as heck, but it is basically modernized Wing Commander: Privateer for better or worse.
Oh, I've been looking forward to that. I've played Rebel Galaxy and it was okay, but the whole "naval combat in space" was (while admittedly unique) just not really my thing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Hopefully they'll make Everspace 2 a little richer, and HOTAS compatible. It looks like a cool concept.

Anyway, anyone else making dumb poo poo in Trailmakers? I fear there's gonna be less on the bone once I've collected all the pieces, but it's pretty fun to create utility monstrosities and try to reverse engineer a plane without having access to a lot of what makes a plane fly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's Trailmakers? That looks interesting.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

I loved Rebel Galaxy and I've been waiting for Outlaw to come to steam. Is it basically the same gameplay loop of do stuff, get money, buy weapons/new ships? I'm totally cool with that if so, and the naval combat in space thing didn't bother me one way or the other.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Conversely, I found Rebel Galaxy Outlaw dull as hell and much less fun to play than Rebel Galaxy. I refunded it on EGS but because EGS gonna EGS I got my money back but the game is still playable on my account provided I never uninstall it. I never went back to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

J posted:

I loved Rebel Galaxy and I've been waiting for Outlaw to come to steam. Is it basically the same gameplay loop of do stuff, get money, buy weapons/new ships? I'm totally cool with that if so, and the naval combat in space thing didn't bother me one way or the other.
They stepped away from the naval combat to something more conventional for six-degrees-of-freedom space shooters, which is why I'm considering getting it. Otherwise, it's by all accounts very much the same kind of game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

What's Trailmakers? That looks interesting.

Free on Gamepass. You've crash landed on a planet with the basic lego pieces you need to build a little car, and you're instructed to recover salvage from your spaceship. When you do, you unlock more building parts, which gives you access to more salvage and so on. There's salvage on land, in the skies and in the water. Explosive salvage, very heavy salvage and well hidden salvage, so you have to use magnets, jets, engines, control surfaces, pistons, hinges and all manner of parts to build a vehicle which can recover said salvage, with the ultimate goal of building a space rocket to take you off planet. Feels kinda low budget, but is surprisingly complex. Reminds me a lot of building exotic vehicles in KSP or managing pneumatic parts in Space Engineers. You have control over turning radii, keybindings for functional parts, power settings and all manner of poo poo which lets you make quite complex machinery. I've put quite a few hours into, I think.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 8, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I swear, I need to get on gamepass at some point... I've tried it twice now, but I just can't get the app to let me register under my own nationality or even with the email address I actually want to use. I purchased this notebook second-hand from a goon and it natively runs on US American locale settings, which I'm guessing is getting in the way of that somehow. My only other PC isn't currently, uh, set up to do any kind of secure financial transactions with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

The flying and combat in Everspace felt pretty good, but it was too much of a roguelite to really be the experience I tend to want from a space game. If you're alright with the whole thing being build around short runs, it's decent.

I thought the game was really neat and fun to play but the roguelite elements seemed completely superfluous to me. As soon as I "finished" the game (I think it took me 10 hours or so?) and was confronted with a requirement to repeat it another 8 or so times I just set the difficulty to easy and knocked it out over a couple hours.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I bought the mystery bundle on Fanatical on a whim and there's actually some decent stuff in there this time. It gave me Sleeping Dogs, the final part of the Syberia trilogy that I was missing, Sim City 4 and a smattering of other, less interesting stuff. Not the worst I could've done for eight bucks.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Wasn't there a goon who recently got tricked into giving up control of their account on Steam(but was fast enough to get it back), because they answered a friend chat where the question was something like:

"hey
we wanna win with my team in the voting contest
can you vote for our team?"

and a link to some dodgy site?

I just got that question from goon Lex Averial (same name/avatar on Steam - hasn't posted on SA since 2018), answered no and and got unfriended.

As we have over 100 goon friends in common, you might want to watch out about clicking links they post.

Of course it could be legit, and they just got very angry at getting a no and :thebutt: as an answer v:shobon:v

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If the link was to somewhere called EZwhateverArena or something like that, then yeah, that was a phished account. Maybe we should start a list of confirmed compromised goon accounts somewhere? There have to be a bunch by now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
KingAzure is one that’s definitely compromised, gotten a message from them like that as have others in the thread.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

Wasn't there a goon who recently got tricked into giving up control of their account on Steam(but was fast enough to get it back), because they answered a friend chat where the question was something like:

"hey
we wanna win with my team in the voting contest
can you vote for our team?"

and a link to some dodgy site?

I just got that question from goon Lex Averial (same name/avatar on Steam - hasn't posted on SA since 2018), answered no and and got unfriended.

As we have over 100 goon friends in common, you might want to watch out about clicking links they post.

Of course it could be legit, and they just got very angry at getting a no and :thebutt: as an answer v:shobon:v

100% a scam to steal your steam account.

A list sounds like a good idea - I had KingAzure too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright. Should I just start a thread for it over in Private Servers? Shrecknet can put a link to it in the OP.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
re: re-reckoning... I enjoyed the original a lot... two playthroughs, and always wanted to play it again, so this release is perfect. Only $15 too. I'll probably try it on a harder difficulty, and use Chakrams, which were my favorite weapon. Fun times!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

yegods posted:

re: re-reckoning... I enjoyed the original a lot... two playthroughs, and always wanted to play it again, so this release is perfect. Only $15 too. I'll probably try it on a harder difficulty, and use Chakrams, which were my favorite weapon. Fun times!

"Chackrams were cool" is literally the only thing I remember of Amalur.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
*smugly looks at empty Steam friends list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Trickyblackjack posted:

*smugly looks at empty Steam friends list*

I will be your friend, if you'll have me!