Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I tried repair and preferred quickly spamming the button I use instead of sitting around for a few seconds, the other players probably have their own sources of healing too.

Do use repair if you mainly play inaros or something else with buckets of health though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So I've just unlocked larva, was planning on putting it on my Protea to unlock that sweet 90x+ damage counter. Was wondering if that mechanic was something similar to the revenant reave mechanic that got patched out and it's no longer worth putting on Protea also?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Guilty posted:

So I've just unlocked larva, was planning on putting it on my Protea to unlock that sweet 90x+ damage counter. Was wondering if that mechanic was something similar to the revenant reave mechanic that got patched out and it's no longer worth putting on Protea also?

No, the turret and reave hit different things. Larval protea is still awesome.

Worse comes to worse it isn't and you wasted a small amount of resources to get more Helminth points.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so a lot of builds I'm reading don't really seem to have a lot in the way of survivability as far as I can tell
is there other stuff that I'm missing that helps with that?
intrinsics from ML, arcanes, operator passives, companion mods I haven't seen, people just killing poo poo fast as they can?

signed someone with a cool hydroid prime farming build that got absolutely murdered trying to wander into a 55-60 level mission b/c they had a nightwave mission to finally deal with that lich dude who keeps yelling at me

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

DelphiAegis posted:

No, the turret and reave hit different things. Larval protea is still awesome.

Worse comes to worse it isn't and you wasted a small amount of resources to get more Helminth points.

Sweet! looking forward to doing that later today!

Second Helminth question, and I want to ask here since I think it's going to be a long time before I can try this since 1. Spectrorage is so far down on my list of abilities to subsume and 2. I haven't built my Grendel yet, but I was wondering if anyone had put it on Grendel and tested out how well it works with Spectrosiphon? Is that a thing Grendel mains might want? Or is it just another dispensary over spectrosiphon case?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

flatluigi posted:

so a lot of builds I'm reading don't really seem to have a lot in the way of survivability as far as I can tell
is there other stuff that I'm missing that helps with that?
intrinsics from ML, arcanes, operator passives, companion mods I haven't seen, people just killing poo poo fast as they can?

signed someone with a cool hydroid prime farming build that got absolutely murdered trying to wander into a 55-60 level mission b/c they had a nightwave mission to finally deal with that lich dude who keeps yelling at me

Rank 5 liches spawn enemies that are more dangerous than the lich himself. Survivability is variable. I'd use a weapon that kills enemies quickly, switch to a frame that can, or switch to a frame that can tank lvl 100 enemies. Hydroid isn't that and every frame isn't good in all content.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

temple posted:

Rank 5 liches spawn enemies that are more dangerous than the lich himself. Survivability is variable. I'd use a weapon that kills enemies quickly, switch to a frame that can, or switch to a frame that can tank lvl 100 enemies. Hydroid isn't that and every frame isn't good in all content.

that's not really my question

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

that's not really my question

Hydroid is not a tanky frame in general. The advice is to either get a tanker frame (inaros, rhino, etc) or bring something tuned to deal with the mooks that level 5 liches spawn.

Many frames can be tanky with adaptation, but that's an arby drop and is situational.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
alright! so, what in general do various builds across various frames use to help survivability? are there intrinsics from ML, arcanes, operator passives, companion mods I haven't seen, or are people just killing poo poo fast as they can?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Beyond vitality + adaptation for surviving it comes down to the frame itself really, does it have high armor? get it a fiber mod, does it have abilities that reduce damage taken? bump up whatever stat it requires, is the frame invisible 99% of the time? laugh at all none-aoe threats.

For heals dealing with small chip damage you got easy access with magus elevate on operator and pack leader on companions

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's obvious stuff like Rolling Guard, Adaptation, and Arcane Guardian. I kind of stopped using Sentinels because of glorious Smeeta buffs, but I was always partial to Guardian. Other than that, I run a lot of Wisp and there's not a lot that 1000 extra health and 100 hp/sec can't sort mixed with a zappy crowd control can't solve.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Arcane Guardian + Arcane Grace can go on just about any frame that health tanks. It's not as strong as it used to be back when they didn't have a cooldown but they're still a big buff, and in particular it lets you make traditionally squishy frames hold up in much higher-level content without getting totally destroyed since Guardian's buff is additive rather than multiplicative.

Apart from that, a lot of it is just cultivating good habits. Always be jumping (airborne = reduced enemy accuracy), always be rolling (you take less damage while rolling.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 8, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There are various tricks. Magus Elevate or Repair and/or hotkeying health or shield restores can be useful. I forget if you can Vazarin dash yourself. Magus Lockdown gives you a "Stop! Hammer Time!" panic button and even basic spoiler can ragdoll enemies they dash into IIRC.

Enemy accuracy is reduced while you are airborne and I think rolling gives you DR.

Adaptation with the changes to shields does a lot of work, I find. Although the routes to getting it are long and involved (or just trade for it) EDIT : Extra good with a sentinel with Guardian slotted.

There's a few ways to heal from melee. Healing Return or Life Strike for instance

You can grab the Synd mod for the Furis and have a pants secondary that refills your health.

You can put Hunter Recovery on a pet and have it's attacks heal you.

Synth Deconstruct can make more health orbs spawn?

Many frames have ways of boosting their survivability with their powers, too many to mention.

BUT!

Mostly you just kill poo poo very fast.

Especially as like, heat can make them do a panic animation when it first lands, radiation can confuse them and electricity is a stun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A single tap of a Nukor can usually CC an entire room.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Also, some frames are/can be made tanky or have other gimmicks for easy survivability.

90% damage reduction: Nezha, Nova, Nekros. Adaptation goes well with such frames since they let enough damage through for Adaptation to build up even more resistance. Adaptation isn't required if you already have 90% DR though! Getting to 90% may be tough but you can hit 75%+ quite easily.

Nekros and Nezha can use Health Conversion easily and Nezha scales well with additional armor so make a build with HC. Nekros with HC/Adaptation is my default "don't want to think about surviving, just shoot stuff blindly" frame - and that's even before using SoS to get 90% DR if needed.

Shield Gating: Mag for eg can regen shields at the drop of a hat, so you use that with the new gating mechanic to ensure you have some tiny shields at all times. Rolling Guard is super useful here to get you time to regen shields if needed, or to clear out status effects. Brief Respite can be used to add shield regen to any frame and works well with Rolling Guard. Using this combo on Banshee right now. Guardian on your sentinel as already mentioned helps a lot here, as do the Augur mods.

Invisibility: Loki, Ash. Just have to stay out of the way of bullet streams/AoE. Enjoy your huge stealth damage bonus multiplier too! Rolling Guard is a good safety backup here to recast invis or get out of a crossfire.

Stun: Banshee. Silence stuns everything near you for a short amount of time. Keep your range small enough that you can kill all the stunned stuff in that time. Rolling Guard again to recast Silence or if you run out of enegery.

Decoy: Loki, Saryn, Nekros. Spawn something for enemies to shoot at instead of you.

There are more frame gimmicks, but I play all of those frames with base health/shields other than Nekros/Nezha that scale with health/armor. They're all pretty squishy but active play makes them not be.

Can't emphasize Rolling Guard enough. It's the only survivability mod I'm running on a lot of those frames, no Vitality or Armor. Rolling to remove statuses, especially toxin/slash, is huge when you're running with just 275-300 health in higher level missions. It also helps with other annoying procs - elec can chew through shield gating and get you killed for eg.

Magus Elevate is another big help on those squishy, small health frames.

This is by no means comprehensive or even half way, just the frames I use a lot.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 8, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For aiming the artillery cannon: aim for the crewships' engines for a one-hit-kill. You can even hit the side engine-bulges from the front of a crewship (or any other angle). If you just hit the main body, it'll take two hits to kill in Veil, unless the railjack is using the artillery damage avionic for some reason.

if I remember right (and I may not) shooting out the engines with guns screws up one hitting with them?

Either way, you can still one hit the body in veil - just use carcinnox or apoc to apply the correct status effect and fire the big gun while it's still applied, one hit.

might not work in ruse war field but it absolutely works for farming gian point, where everyone is spending 95% of their time anyway

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I've bounced off warframe several times since it's initial release but my lastest foray into the void seems to be sticking. Doing all the single player missions is starting to feel a bit grindy though.

EDIT: I really want to play a support mech and Trinity Prime came out of the vault recently. I'm sorely tempted to buy this from the store rather than work my way toward crafting it. Save me.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 8, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How do you get more than the initial 3 Helminth slots?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Blog post on Dethcube energy/health orb generation since it helps with both energy and survivability. Nothing new here, just a summary of learned-from-others wisdom.

Dethcube has a Simaris mod called Energy Generator that lets it generate a ton of energy orbs by assisting in kills. You can pair it with one of the Synth set mods, Deconstruct, to also let it generate health orbs on kill. There's also another Synth mod, Fiber, that lets Dethcube get extra armor whenever you take in a health orb, useful for its survivability.

Here's a Dethcube build using these along with other stuff for hardiness.
- Primed Regen lets you get 2 free revives at rank 6 and 3 at rank 9. Better than Regen's 1 revive, but Regen will do just fine for most content.
- Repair Kit restores sentinel health, enough said.
- Metal Fiber pushes up armor and works well with Synth Fiber to push up your eHP. This is in effect multiplying Repair Kit's heal.
- So pump that up even more with Enhanced Vitality.

Emphasis is on making Dethcube survive so you can survive.

Dethcube doesn't need to get kills for energy/health orbs, just assists. So one good weapon to use is Sweeper, the shotgun, since it fires a spread of pellets. Mods to help it tag as many enemies as possible are a combination of:
- Fire rate to keep it firing
- Multishot
- Punch through
- More projectile spread
- Reload speed
- Magazine capacity

Basically, let it tag as many enemies as frequently as possible. You don't need it to kill things. Prime versions aren't needed, this works just as well with base.

Finally, Health Conversion is a powerful survival mod for frames that can generate health orbs easily. It adds a flat +1350 armor when at max 3 stacks. Since this is additive, it doesn't matter if the frame has weak base armor to begin with unlike +armor% mods. Good way to use armor/adaptation tanking on frames otherwise ill suited to that.

One undocumented effect of Synth Fiber is it lets you take in health orbs even at full health, so if you're running it with Deconstruct you can put Health Conversion on any frame and add a ton of survivability. Not generally necessaary, but an option if you want to use HC outside of Nekros/Nezha.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 8, 2020

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Inzombiac posted:

How do you get more than the initial 3 Helminth slots?

you get more as Helminth levels up

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gotta rank up helminth more. If you're feeding wisely and only doing stuff that is fresh for maximum resource gain, it'll take awhile.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there an easy way to farm Simaris rep?

Doing hunts feels really slow.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Inzombiac posted:

It's a slow farm, but you can do it in 15-20 mins.

Stealth scan your way through the level as you do caps. Don't cash in your target until you hit your daily cap.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Do simaris scans in steel path if you can

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is it even technically possible to run out of subsume slots?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Tylana posted:

Enemy accuracy is reduced while you are airborne and I think rolling gives you DR.

Outside of later game tips like 'have these nice arcanes' and mid game tips like 'have a potato in everything, slot a maxed vitality and then either shields or armor depending,' aside from recommending arbys mods that definitely are incredibly helpful, this is the advice that I like to give. You are incredibly mobile in this game and being so drastically reduces most enemy threats. Being airborne at all reduces enemy accuracy, which is further reduced based on both how fast you're moving and how erratically you're bouncing about. Rolling in particular both reduces accuracy and gives you a very large amount of damage reduction, without checking the wiki I want to say it's 75% or 90%. You can use this to roll through knockdown or grab effects without being floored at all, it's not as QoL as Primed Sure Footed but it works pretty much the same.

You can totally take on higher level missions as Hydroid even without maxed out arcanes or adaptaion/rolling guard. If you can toss on some energy and some efficiency and duration that's all he needs to constantly be knocking down everyone while only ever bullet jumping, rolling through the air, or gliding down hallways as a wave of water. He can cast his 1 while mobile and he can have at least two of those going at once so it's fairly easy for him to lightly lockdown two choke points. Rush in or drop in with a slam attack and melee all the dudes flopping around on the ground who couldn't hit or damage you in the air anyway because you never stood still.

E:

flatluigi posted:

alright! so, what in general do various builds across various frames use to help survivability? are there intrinsics from ML, arcanes, operator passives, companion mods I haven't seen, or are people just killing poo poo fast as they can?

There are certainly a lot of exactly those, arcanes like guardian and grace are real strong with the survivability, there are operator arcanes and abilities that heal, a companion mod or two, etc. As far as lich stuff is concerned you've got two primary challenges, the level of the enemies being pretty high and the lich themselves. The enemies you probably won't have much problems dealing with if you're running good elements for grineer on a solid melee or secondary weapon. The liches are a lot more threatening, they're very tanky and that grab animation is killer. You can frequently operator out of the grab animation in the middle of it though, as long as you aren't spamming 5 and don't transfer back in you'll just ignore the grab damage if you get out. Then there's the most dangerous option, a lich that can hit you and your team with radiation status. If you're doing things solo this isn't that big of a deal but if you're in a party, well, you're all going to be killing each other for a bit and honestly it's my favorite status. A lot of people use Revenant for Lich missions because his Mesmer Skin just turns off threats, including liches, and it can be recast while it's active so it never runs out. Hydroid is going to have to do a lot more bobbing and weaving if you're going up against a Lich that can pump out a ton of damage but with operator use it can still be made a lot easier. Magus Lockdown works for a short time and Zenurik's slow punch also works I think.

Gameko posted:

I've bounced off warframe several times since it's initial release but my lastest foray into the void seems to be sticking. Doing all the single player missions is starting to feel a bit grindy though.

EDIT: I really want to play a support mech and Trinity Prime came out of the vault recently. I'm sorely tempted to buy this from the store rather than work my way toward crafting it. Save me.

Trinity is not to terribly hard to farm if you're in a clan with people who have been playing for a while (us), just ask in clan chat and people will have Trinity Prime relics they'll be willing to crack with you. That said Trinity is a great support frame and pretty much always welcome, if you want to buy her and whatever pretty cosmetic bits she comes with she is real nice. I'd also recommend Harrow if you like support frames, he's probably my favorite support. His kit is really synergistic but I'll definitely warn any brand new players that he probably takes more modding work to make really good than Trinity does.

genericnick posted:

Is it even technically possible to run out of subsume slots?

I think max rank Helminth unlocks unlimited subsume slots?

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Steel Path Kuva fortress elimination mission, use Ivara, and an aoe weapon. Run through the mission scanning everything. Don't kill yet. As you run the mission, enemies will automatically run towards the extraction point. Stay invis and DONT set off any alarms or alert anything (alerted enemies give half rep). Group everything up on the extraction, they'll all run there super easy. Once you've grouped up all the scanned enemies, fire a noise arrow, group them up even more, and Bramma/nukor the entire group down. Try to kill the entire group in one shot, otherwise the next wave will trickle spawn in an alerted state and you gotta wait for them to lose that state. I did this loving up the last few days and maxed my daily rep in like ten minutes.

Edit: I say Kuva fortress because all the extra guns and scanners can also be scanned for extra rep. You can do this on any mission you like.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Gameko posted:

Just being safe here, but buying from the ingame store gives you base version, not prime.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The perk of doing it with Simaris targets and scanning in those is you get extra over your daily cap for the turn in and a smattering of endo. Plus you can do a cap, spend 5 minutes and get 10k or so, even on middling areas like Ceres.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Earlier some people were lamenting that Tactical reload doesn't work on most of the fancy guns you'd probably want it on, I will say I've recently discovered how good the set bonus on Synth mods are for just that and they don't have any gun requirements either to replenish ammo, I slotted two on my smeeta and it's working well.

Use it if you hate reloading ever or reload after spending 1 bullet in a 300 round magazine.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 8, 2020

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FunkyFjord posted:

I think max rank Helminth unlocks unlimited subsume slots?

It does, but I think the question was more about whether you can run out on the way there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm at metamorphosis 7 (20 subsume slots), and I think I've subsumed more times than I've actually applied a subsumed ability at this point. Mostly putting Energized Munitions on duration frames for giggles

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

It does, but I think the question was more about whether you can run out on the way there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can.

Yeah, I put about 6 abilities on frames and never was even close to filling the last subsume slot.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"I see you're having fun on the Plains of Eidolon. Here, have a Thumper!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Agents are GO! posted:

"I see you're having fun on the Plains of Eidolon. Here, have a Thumper!"

closely related:

"I see you have a 'kill a Thumper' Nightwave mission. Here, have a dozen Dargyns and some dropships!"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"Oh, you need to kill plural Dargyns with a bow for a riven challenge? Sounds like what you actually need are endless waves of Firbolgs and Bolkors! Aaahahaha, I'm Warframe and God cannot see inside of me to judge my sins, aaahahaha!"

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I had to do two infuses to unlock the 10 slots (+10 slots?) level. Just subsuming and feeding didn't get me there.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

DoombatINC posted:

"Oh, you need to kill plural Dargyns with a bow for a riven challenge? Sounds like what you actually need are endless waves of Firbolgs and Bolkors! Aaahahaha, I'm Warframe and God cannot see inside of me to judge my sins, aaahahaha!"

If it doesn't say Tusk or Pilot, do it in the Kuva Fortress Assault as a tip.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Does sweeper on dethcube set off arcane pax seeker when you're carrying a secondary with it equipped? I swear it goes off sometimes and I'm not using my secondary.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I got a kuva nukor last night and apparently past me hosed up by spawning a radiation lich with it. :shepface:

I know I can just fix it later but I'm also very lazy about actually leveling these drat things much less getting duplicates. On that note what is the preferred element to slap onto this? I imagine heat since basically every gun build these days goes for Heat + Viral outside of Deimos.