Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

the Orb of Zot posted:

Sprouting Thirnax saw play, but that was in Alara block and well before creature powercreep hit the levels we see today.

Thrinax also happened to be a really good BBE cascade hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thread already decided the 2G "do all the Uro stuff" sorcery was bad, so if they cast Uro once then get hit w this it seems like a good bargain

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LifeLynx posted:

Does this have potential? Mogg Fanatic types tended to in the past. I like how the first ability is a big cue for new players. "Here, do this with it!"

It's now the best one-mana Warrior in the format. Exciting news for the Party deck!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

evilweasel posted:

effectively a 4/4 for 3 is a decent-ish baseline

Yeah I'm hoping there's a good place for it. It's not bad at all, but removal and sweepers are so good and common now that I'm dubious about how much work it can really do.

LifeLynx posted:

Does this have potential? Mogg Fanatic types tended to in the past. I like how the first ability is a big cue for new players. "Here, do this with it!"

Given that seemingly all the new equipment in this set is cheap and has the "attach to target creature" rider I think it has some legs in the right deck. It's a great one drop for Winota decks if nothing else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LifeLynx posted:

I want to draft around this so hard. This card was made for the type of decks I like to draft.

This is WAY worse than Mogg Fanatic. It's a 1 drop that has to already have an equipment in play to get haste so it's pretty meh on T1.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Fireblade Charger is fine on its own, really really good with any way to pump power, and bonkers if the equipment deck is real, which it might very well be since fervent champion is still around too (it never is).

There's a +1/+1 counter theme in the set. Putting even a single counter on this thing makes it absurd. Nearly any equipment with equip 1 makes it absurd. Rimrock Knight makes it absurd. This card is good as hell

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

Goblin Arsonist has been in standard forever and doesn't see play

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Thread already decided the 2G "do all the Uro stuff" sorcery was bad, so if they cast Uro once then get hit w this it seems like a good bargain

I think you’re missing about half of Uro’s text

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

even if they are guaranteed to have this in their hand, 2g "do all the uro stuff" sorcery is a lot worse than "2g do all the uro stuff, then force the opponent to spend five mana and a card or bad things happen to them"

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Goblin Arsonist has been in standard forever and doesn't see play

Arsonist doesn't have the upside. There's clearly a RW or RW/x equipment deck being seeded in this set. It doesn't take much to push a one drop from unplayable to very good. I'm not saying it will be the next Thraben Inspector, but one drops are among the hardest to predict for constructed.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Nevermind this one is the best one lmao

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

I could see swinging in with it, hitting it with a pump spell, doing that damage, then sacrificing it for a sneaky win if life was low enough.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I was so excited til I saw this ETBs tapped. I don't think it would've been broken if it didn't, at least for this set. Maybe it needs to be tapped for when D&D set comes.

This is good.

I think this is probably statted too low, but it is a flying threat that gets decent value on ETB.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sampatrick posted:

Nevermind this one is the best one lmao

This one isn't the best. The White one is still the best for Standard and the Green one is the most easily slotted into an existing deck. You need to build your deck in a very specific way for this to be a good effect. You need to spend 5 mana to get a worse Call of the Death Dweller.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 8, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Eh, 8 cards is a lot of cards. This is a 1/3 flyer way too often.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Framboise posted:

I could see swinging in with it, hitting it with a pump spell, doing that damage, then sacrificing it for a sneaky win if life was low enough.

In magical christmasland, Groundswell + Berserk is 20 on its own.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

A 1/3 with Flash for 2 is plenty serviceable as a wall against aggro, and the whole gimmick of rogues being "incidentally mill your opponent" would make it pretty straightforward to turn on by turn 3 or 4.

Well, it would be pretty easy to turn on, if not for half the decks you're facing being able to take cards back out of their graveyard, turning your cards off while getting a big advantage in the process. Oh well, maybe next rotation.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

evilweasel posted:

even if they are guaranteed to have this in their hand, 2g "do all the uro stuff" sorcery is a lot worse than "2g do all the uro stuff, then force the opponent to spend five mana and a card or bad things happen to them"

I am assuming you also hit their innkeeper, merfolk, lovestruck beast and a human token

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

I am assuming you also hit their innkeeper, merfolk, lovestruck beast and a human token

Innkeeper has drawn them what, two cards out of this deal? IDK dawg, seems like they can just refill the board from there pretty alright.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sickening posted:

They're trying to encourage a Rogue deck and this will fit in nicely - with Thieves' Guild Enforcer it'll mill eight by turn three. Rogues also have some synergy with the Wizards who mill, although so far I haven't seen a good Rogue that cares about party size. The problem, of course, is that enabling an opponent's Uro is really bad.

I'm so excited to build a Party deck. Right now I'm picturing an Abzan deck with a ton of one-drops that can play Coveted Prize on turn three to find a singleton Winota. A singleton Legion Angel can be the backup plan for Coveted Prize if Winota won't be worthwhile.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

the point being, that comparing uro after it gets hit by a very specific hate spell to a spell that does the same thing, but doesn't require the opponent to have that specific hate spell, is...well, not a good comparison

yes, a board wipe can be quite good in the right situation, nobody's arguing that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chamale posted:

They're trying to encourage a Rogue deck and this will fit in nicely - with Thieves' Guild Enforcer it'll mill eight by turn three. Rogues also have some synergy with the Wizards who mill, although so far I haven't seen a good Rogue that cares about party size. The problem, of course, is that enabling an opponent's Uro is really bad.

I'm so excited to build a Party deck. Right now I'm picturing an Abzan deck with a ton of one-drops that can play Coveted Prize on turn three to find a singleton Winota. A singleton Legion Angel can be the backup plan for Coveted Prize if Winota won't be worthwhile.

I am sure rogue will be a draft archtype, but I haven't seen anything super constructed playable yet.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the problem with rogue mill in constructed is that it’s still a creature deck attacking oppo’s life total except they start with 60 life

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the problem with rogue mill in constructed is that it’s still a creature deck attacking oppo’s life total except they start with 60 life

These rogues seem to be trying to win with combat. As long as an opponent has eight cards in their graveyard, the Rogue deck gets a 1-mana 3/2 deathtouch, this two-mana lord, and a three-mana 5/3 with Menace. It would be a neat deck if Escape cards didn't ruin its gameplan; too bad Block Constructed doesn't exist anymore, that format always had quirky decks.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This one isn't the best. The White one is still the best for Standard and the Green one is the most easily slotted into an existing deck. You need to build your deck in a very specific way for this to be a good effect. You need to spend 5 mana to get a worse Call of the Death Dweller.

You don't need to build your deck in any particular way, you just put it in your deck as a land and sometimes you use it as a Living Death.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I wonder if Not Harry Potter, Really will have Proliferate.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The UB rogues decks win with combat damage, not mill. At least, they shouldn't win with mill--that should be incidental.

Last night I played against a UB deck with vantress gargoyle and other "GY matters" cards like drown in the loch and Thieves' Guild Enforcer, except I was playing sultai ramp and uro single handedly destroyed that deck no contest. So the problem with rogue mill in this meta is that uro exists--not that you start at 60 life (or more with Yorion).

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 8, 2020

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Big dumb landfall dude but at least gets some value

This is pretty cool. Hard to race (for a 2 drop) and late game 2 for 1 reanimate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Big dumb landfall dude but at least gets some value

Just a reminder that this lets you play the Land side of your flip spells out of the graveyard.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
That card seems 2 Mana too expensive to see play

The double landfall guy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Just a reminder that this lets you play the Land side of your flip spells out of the graveyard.

I doubt it. When they're in the graveyard they have only the front face.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I doubt it. When they're in the graveyard they have only the front face.

https://twitter.com/WotC_Matt/status/1301553610208112640?s=20

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This is pretty cool. Hard to race (for a 2 drop) and late game 2 for 1 reanimate.

Now this is my poo poo.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This is older but worth highlighting again I think. It's cool that it double ramps and then isn't dead late. Scute Swarm and Felidar Retreat go wide with landfall.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Nice two-drop for vampires, not sure what I'd take out for it though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is REALLY good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Cheap kicker cratures seem like they'll be fun with lurrus.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

This is older but worth highlighting again I think. It's cool that it double ramps and then isn't dead late. Scute Swarm and Felidar Retreat go wide with landfall.

The order of it is also very nice for Swarm and Retreat

Edit: No it's not lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Justin_Brett posted:

Nice two-drop for vampires, not sure what I'd take out for it though.

I'd say Dusk Legion Zealot if you still have them, then Id experiment replacing Gifted Atherborn, see if it's better than being defensive. Late game getting a Champion of Dusk back seems great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

little munchkin posted:

I thought it seemed decent because twitter previews crop out the mana cost, but lol at your uro "answer" costing 5 mana and not working until uro has drawn you at least one card

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣 they make the card that *exiles* Time Raveler , the Uro in play, and the Uro in the graveyard, all at the same time, at once, but apparently it needed to give blowjobs and improve credit scores too!! 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣