Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

klosterdev posted:

How do I keep getting so many cold calls for VoIP services I'm not even the phone guy why do scummy cold calls and VoIP always seem to come hand in hand

The Ringcentral and spectrum guys called us every drat week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m mostly annoyed at this because my boss gave me a read our last one on one and used the word “assumptions”. I don’t make assumptions. I read the RFCs, I understand how Oauth protocols work, and I understand data flow. When I say how the technology works, that’s how it works. I’ve been consistently right for the past year I’ve been at this org and it’s frustrating that they still do not trust what is literally my expert opinion.

I hate to go here, but do others on your team get the same treatment? Basically, are you getting the wrong end of the stick because of the rampant sexism in our industry? It's one thing if other people are also being questioned on their statements about how technology works, it's quite another if they're only questioning you. I've seen it happen too often (well once is obviously too often, but I've seen it more than that), and it's loving atrocious and shameful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
FML I made the suggestion that we use a separate security group for our KnowBe4 test instead of just throwing all "Domain Users" in there for good reasons and my boss was like "yeah that's a great idea, and while you're at it here's a whole bunch of conditions that makes it impossible to powershell." so now I'm going through 80 OU's handpicking each and every user to add to this group. fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

it also doesn't help that we have user accounts for things that should be loving resources.
But mostly it's the 'these type of people' for which there is no AD attribute that's loving me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I just listened to someone spend ten solid minutes trying to raise a forklift driver that didn't have his radio on.

Call, no response

Call, no response

Call, no response

Anyone seen driver?

He doesn't have his radio on

Anyone with a radio near driver?

Chorus of yesses, lots of feedback squeals

What? Is anyone near driver?

Nobody answers, expecting someone else to

Anyone seen driver? Hello?

Finally, driver gets his goddamn radio turned on and gets in contact with the person that started tying up the airways 8 minutes ago. What that person wanted to ask was if the forklift driver had seen if Z was upstairs or downstairs. Which the caller could have verified in 30 seconds themselves.

:argh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I hate to go here, but do others on your team get the same treatment? Basically, are you getting the wrong end of the stick because of the rampant sexism in our industry? It's one thing if other people are also being questioned on their statements about how technology works, it's quite another if they're only questioning you. I've seen it happen too often (well once is obviously too often, but I've seen it more than that), and it's loving atrocious and shameful.

I don't know - maybe? I think it's more the way that I present my case than my gender. When I say that something works in X way, I tend to be fairly firm and unequivocal about it.

This has come up a handful of times with my partner over the last 7 years - sometimes I get into that tone of voice with her and she can find it to be a bit cold and not so nice to be on the receiving end of. I think that rubs people the wrong way sometimes, and fair enough! I'm a logical person, I find the logical flaws in what people are saying very quickly, but sometimes it takes a few rounds of pushing and rephrasing what I'm saying in more conciliatory ways to get through to people. Ultimately, I'm concerned that it comes off as me being narrow-minded and resistant to testing assumptions. I'm open to other arguments and absolutely back down when I'm wrong, it just doesn't tend to happen all that often.

At the end of the day, this is all just me trying to find better and more effective ways to communicate. This is exacerbated by the fact we're remote and I can't really be as silly and fun and flamboyant like I am in person. Still, it's definitely frustrating to feel like I can't talk the way that I find most natural, and I can't say that something works in a particular way without getting pushback. My bigger fear is that my team will find their interactions with me unpleasant. The rest of the organization might love me, but if my own team finds me exhausting, well that's some bad news bears.

That's life though! We all need to work on the way we present ourselves to be more diplomatic and accommodating. Still, I can't say I haven't been thinking about how gendered this all might be, because the tl;dr is that I need to be more "warm" and "open" and "conciliatory" and "diplomatic" at that point it's hard to distinguish between what's legit and what's just sexist behavioural expectations.

I'd love to hear how people here have dealt with anything similar, or hear strategies for how they communicate these sorts of thing.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 2, 2020

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

The Iron Rose posted:

When I say that something works in X way, I tend to be fairly firm and unequivocal about it.

Your body language and tone of voice is important. Speaking in a firm and unequivocal way can come off as dismissive/lecturing. Not dismissive to other ideas, but dismissive to actually wanting a conversation with your peers. The trick is to speak in a more confident tone with a bit more enthusiasm. Having that "warmth" in a conversation allows the listener to be more open to ideas and your way of thinking, and it's a good way of getting your point across so that they comprehend it. It's definitely a skill that can be practiced, and unfortunately in this industry you don't see it that often.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh how I love to open a P1 incident about 50%+ packet loss and receive "we've opened a ticket and are working on this" as the only update in five hours

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd love to hear how people here have dealt with anything similar, or hear strategies for how they communicate these sorts of thing.

I've run into a similar issue sometimes (minus the potential sexism) when dealing with non-technical co-workers and I think part of the disconnect is because of this:

The Iron Rose posted:

Which means if you understand exactly what you're telling a system to do, you should be able to predict the results.

Below a certain level of technical understanding people might agree that this is the case in principle, but it doesn't feel true because it doesn't match up with their experience. When most of what goes on inside of a computer is a mystery, it's equally mysterious why things sometimes work and sometimes don't. From a technical perspective answering questions about how something works or how something can break is just sharing information, but it can come off very differently from a non-technical perspective.

I've seen this repeatedly with non-technical folks asking me if a tool or product can do something. Often they're asking if it can do something that it's impossible for it to do because it doesn't have the right data or doesn't function in the right way or whatever—even though I haven't read every piece of documentation or googled the thing they want it to do I can confidently answer "no" without much thought.

Someone on the tech side might ask follow up questions, but in my experience they aren't going to question the validity of or intent behind the answer itself unless they think I'm an idiot. From a non-technical perspective there's no way I could confidently answer their request in a couple of seconds unless I've already looked into it previously, so it seems like I'm being dismissive of their request because I'm a jerk, or that I'm a cocky gently caress that thinks I know everything, or that I don't want it to be possible/don't want to do the work to make it possible so I'm pretending that it isn't, or I don't care enough to put in the leg-work to find out.

For some people explaining why the thing they are asking for isn't possible (or why something won't break in such-and-such circumstance, etc) makes them feel a lot better about the interaction even if they don't follow half of the explanation. Other people take it better if I say that I have to look into it and then go do some other poo poo before I answer.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 3, 2020

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Man I had the first day off today in a hot minute, I went out to do some yard work, got into something that gave me a major allergic reaction so I popped a couple benadryl and just woke up:argh:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When I worked at an ISP, oh, 16 years ago, there were two hot poo poo networking guys who basically ran all the tech, and they were some of the nicest guys I've ever met then or now.

I still remember a time when I, still in university and speaking beyond my experience level, said something confidently to one of them about a server or whatever, and even though he had vastly more experience than me, he said "Oh I didn't know that", then went and investigated, and of course I was wrong.

But he was still willing to accept at face value that he might not know something and take the comment/question/request in his stride. Even all these years later I strive to be more like those guys.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ticket: User can't print.

Attempting to print from Adobe Acrobat hangs the program.
Attempting to open the Devices and Printers control panel hangs.
Attempting to list printers via PowerShell Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Printer hangs.
Restarting the local Spooler service causes any active hang to resolve, but obviously causes zero printers to be listed, and attempting the hanging operation again hangs again.
Rebooting doesn't help.

It's a Windows 7 install more than 6 years old.
Sent ticket to onsite, asking them to just reinstall or replace.

How can a machine even get that broken?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Self-breaking Windows... sounds about right. After the three year mark it can get a little hairy.

Current GoDaddy things of the day... their website dashboard is broken, and their chat support images are broken, the HTTP->HTTPS rule they have is seemingly broken for some devices. The list just goes on with them.

edit 20 minutes later...
Booted out of the chat with the rep during the conversation, back to the bot, and back in the 22 minute (half hour) hold queue.

grillster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 4, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tactlessbastard posted:

Man I had the first day off today in a hot minute, I went out to do some yard work, got into something that gave me a major allergic reaction so I popped a couple benadryl and just woke up:argh:

Did the same thing a couple weeks ago and found out the hard way that I am no longer immune to Poison Ivy. They put me on Prednisone since I had it everywhere but now I can't sleep.
Of course as soon as I have newfound superpowers to do all the work, word comes down from on high that we need to make sure not to go into overtime (even though we're not paid for it). But we still need to do all the work like right the gently caress now so yeah let's see how that works out. I have over 30 open concurrent projects not including basic helpdesk work they still expect us to keep on top of LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8miwsWtzRw

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yes, it's a great idea to let me know at 3:00pm on a Friday when we have already closed early for the long weekend about someone starting Monday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes, it's a great idea to let me know at 3:00pm on a Friday when we have already closed early for the long weekend about someone starting Monday.

lol if that person shows up on a holiday and there's nobody there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

They're going to be working remotely in another state.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Not on Monday they're not.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO hired him personally and specified that everything has to be ready for Monday morning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO hired him personally and specified that everything has to be ready for Monday morning.

This person is going into the office on labor day?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

n/m

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:laffo:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
SharePoint Migration Tool is currently pissing me off. One of the sites I need to migrate this weekend gets stuck on a white screen (no errors) when attempting to migrate it to 365.

All my other sites work so far, I’m a farm admin, the tool just gets stuck after entering the site address. :argh:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Just found out that we lost potentially thousands of emails into the void since G suite now sends emails from IPs that aren't in their SPF records.

Thanks Google. Thoogle

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

email is hell

the worst experience is having dmarc p=reject set on a domain and watching all the mail gateways completely gently caress up

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Just found out that we lost potentially thousands of emails into the void since G suite now sends emails from IPs that aren't in their SPF records.

Thanks Google. Thoogle

...w...do you have more information on this? Why the gently caress would they do that?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

capitalcomma posted:

...w...do you have more information on this? Why the gently caress would they do that?

Because even google fucks up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Because even google fucks up.

I suspect google fucks up more often than the average.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

capitalcomma posted:

So far this post on Reddit is the most info I can find

https://www.reddit.com/r/gsuite/comments/ilcucn/new_ip_block_in_g_suite/

We run a Google/exchange on prem hybrid setup, and our edge server only has its firewall opened to the Google netblocks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

I suspect google fucks up more often than the average.

I doubt that. There gently caress ups are just more noticeable because they are impossibly big.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

See, think it’s the other way around.

They’re so big that normal sized fuckups happen all the time and are indistinguishable from the background noise.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

my first attempt at a real vacation day this year, and the entire state of washington decides to start forest fires on their camping trips.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 8, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

capitalcomma posted:

my first attempt at a real vacation day this year, and the entire state of washington decides to start forest fires on their camping trips.

We might have to come over there and take away y'all's adult cards :negative:

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

To be clear, there are much greater tragedies here than a computer toucher having a bad day off. I know I live a charmed life. At least one whole town has burned to the ground today. Hope everyone's doing okay.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

and don't start fires when the fire risk level is literally "EXTREME"! in all caps! That's not an ambiguous reading!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
What is with the current design trend of making everything white with huge swaths of useless whitespace and completely devoid of color? (ala Windows Settings)

The Payroll/time clock website we use just updated their theme to be almost entirely white, completely devoid of any color or borders around sections or buttons. Its bright white with light grey text. They made button background color the same as the website background. With the button text light grey.

Its loving terrible and hardly readable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ugh desktop teams app won't connect, at least it's working on my phone I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

Ugh desktop teams app won't connect, at least it's working on my phone I guess.

Teams is working for me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

Teams is working for me.

Yeah, I'n not sure what the problem is, maybe a reboot will fix but it's a lovely morning already, flat tire, poo poo's on fire and all I want to do is sleep another 8 hours.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Bomgar. They support deploying their jump client packages via MSI, and you can't create a jump client installer without it having an expiration date when the installer is no longer valid. Maximum amount of time is one year. It's now been a year and the GPO-pushed installer doesn't work for new systems. Contacted their support to ask for information on upgrading the jump client MSI without causing a whole bunch of duplicate jump clients to install.

quote:

I apologize that we do not have general documentation for this kind of deployment. The only way to know for certain that you will not have duplicate clients in this case, is to remove the existing client prior to deployment. As mentioned, you could also potentially script a solution that will prevent the new installer from running on endpoints that already have a client installed.
Alternatively, a new GPO that will be used to only target the endpoints that need a fresh, new client installed may work, but I understand this may not be ideal.

Unfortunately, directly supporting system management software and their deployment methods is outside of our scope of support.

Kind Regards,
$Name
BeyondTrust Technical Support

What kind of company forces you to plant a time bomb in their supported deployment method, supports setting it up with accompanying documentation, but will do nothing to help you when the bomb explodes a year later and declares that problem out-of-scope? Espec given the stupid-money we have to pay every year for support on the box that we own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: Bomgar. They support deploying their jump client packages via MSI, and you can't create a jump client installer without it having an expiration date when the installer is no longer valid. Maximum amount of time is one year. It's now been a year and the GPO-pushed installer doesn't work for new systems. Contacted their support to ask for information on upgrading the jump client MSI without causing a whole bunch of duplicate jump clients to install.

What kind of company forces you to plant a time bomb in their supported deployment method, supports setting it up with accompanying documentation, but will do nothing to help you when the bomb explodes a year later and declares that problem out-of-scope? Espec given the stupid-money we have to pay every year for support on the box that we own.

if you use sccm, you can deploy the msi as an app and then retire it on a certain date. I think intune does let you do the same.