Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Plus, it's a little hypocritical of Butcher. If being a supe was so corrupting then by his own admission he just signed his death warrant.

Well, yeah... That was the plot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If Stormfront survives the entire season I’ll be pretty bummed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah...

If this season had been written in Summer 2020 she'd be getting kaboomed this season for sure, but I suspect she'll be a terror all season long and her comeuppance will be a tease for Season 3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm surprised and embarrassed that I somehow didn't know this, I apologize for the terminology gently caress-up and thank you for mentioning it. I'm more used to seeing intersex these days anyway so I don't know what was going on in my head.

It’s still the term used in botany and zoology, so it remains in regular use. That’s often why people don’t realize its fallen out of favor referring to humans.

(Yes I see the username combo too.)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Me too. I guess the only consolation is that’s she’s definitely gonna get killed sooner or later.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

actually being from Portland adds an extra level of horror to Stormfront's character because I see people like her every loving day.

I'm loving this season so far, and the only downside for me is that now these alt-reich assholes have a hot pop culture character to resonate with. ugh.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

There's already Stormfront Halloween costumes available online, but nothing as glorious as the Spirit Halloween Homelander:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It legit looks like it’s made of wrapping paper.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Looks like you'll have to provide your own muscles

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bro Dad posted:

There's already Stormfront Halloween costumes available online, but nothing as glorious as the Spirit Halloween Homelander:

This one seems to be more authentic.

https://www.simcosplay.com/homelander-the-seven-cosplay-costume-the-boys-s1-costume-top-level.html

You just know people are gonna buy that costume and wear it for Halloween, too.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 8, 2020

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Gonz posted:

This one seems to be more authentic.

https://www.simcosplay.com/homelander-the-seven-cosplay-costume-the-boys-s1-costume-top-level.html

Yeah this was the site selling Stormfront costumes

so have a another Spirit Halloween spandex trashbag instead:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bro Dad posted:

It’s like a dollar store Peter Pan costume.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gonz posted:

Well, it is tradition to dress up as monsters on Halloween, isn’t it? :eng101:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bro Dad posted:

I mean, this is perfect to channel your inner Deep.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They have GOT to be trolling you, what the hell! She's coded alt-right pretty hard.

"Stormfront"
Buzzed side of head
From Oregon
Blew up a building that appeared to be largely POC-occupied
Said "I do this... because of my racism" to the Asian man before killing him

Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing. When I saw the Stormfront scene with Homelander and Maeve in a trailer before, I made the presumption that the name was an intentional red herring. It seemed too on the nose. I decided that her character was supposed to be commentary on Corporate pivots, and that she was the embodiment of soulless 'Woke Capitalism' corporate response.

And I think they kept it ambiguous at the beginning intentionally. Portland is obviously a land of contrast and so she could be either direction as long as she's far. Starlight should be a darling to the right leaning and what must have been slut shaming of her costume could easily be interpreted as frustration with exploitation. The 'I don't care what sex you are, but shouldnt we do our jobs the best we can' comment is antithetical to both Neoconservative platform traditonal family roles and Nazi doctrine eschewing careers for women in favor of child rearing for the state. Barbie isn't a bad word to a conservative or a Nazi, right?

My theory is that she was designed to be intentionally ambiguous for some deeper story or illustrative purpose what would have revealed her much later as 'duh she's racist her name is Stormfront' reverse red herring. But either too much ambiguousness drove the audience to confusion or confirmation bias that it left testers/the writing room unsatisfied or they just cut the thread for any other kind of reason (congestion or changing political environment) and unburied the lede.

My only real support for this is how confident people have demonstrated being on completely opposite assumptions, what seems like intentional ambiguity early on, and the fact that the hard reveal was all done in scenes that that could have been easily added in post--things that don't affect previous or future dialog in significant ways and don't require rewrites to move around from a later point to an earlier point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Although this season has been good so far, I have to say I don't think they've sold Giancarlo Esposito's character. I realize Homelander has all these sorts of dependency issues and thinks he needs Vought, but I mean he ended up killing Madeline Stillwell who was way more important to him, so I don't quite get why the gently caress he stands there listening to the CEO just berate him and say Vought doesn't need him.

Granted he basically comes to the conclusion that he doesn't need Vought in episode 3, but they clearly tried to make Giancarlo intimidating in that initial stand-off and I did not buy why Homerlander didn't just immediately vapourize the guy at all.

Edit: I'm keeping the Homerlander typo

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 8, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Because every square inch of Vought tower is under surveillance, and Homelander can’t smooth talk his way out of 40 security camera videos of him murdering an old man.

Also for anyone not clued in, Stormfront’s being an Oregonian is key because Oregon, not surprisingly, was originally settled by Southern white supremacists who believed that white people needed a land all their own, away from freemen and Natives, and the encroachment of immigration. It was basically supposed to be a White Nationalist paradise, and every racist cuckoo in the country knows it, so that’s why Portland in particular is kind of a national flashpoint in these current protests. The Portland PD is probably, conservative guess, 90% white supremacists at least.

Here’s an absolutely awesome podcast about the settling of Oregon by racist idiots

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-oregon-is-a-bastard-30217960/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Because every square inch of Vought tower is under surveillance, and Homelander can’t smooth talk his way out of 40 security camera videos of him murdering an old man.

Why would he need to, though? Those videos probably aren't going to be made public, and it would be easier for them to simply install a new CEO rather than villify superheroes, which would break their entire business model.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Homelander benefits immeasurably from the Voight structure. Homelander doesn't just want to rule, but he wants to have people love and respect him in the process. Look at how he's trying to be some weird ideal of the perfect father - Homelander wants to be a patriarch, not a tyrant. Homelander likes exerting power and getting away with it. With Voight, he has underlings around and, presumably, nice legal contracts that allow him to maim people (such as the blind superhero) and get away with it. Without that, sure, he might get to be the King of the World, but he'd lose so much of what he enjoys. And that's not to say that Voight might have some way of dealing with him if he goes rogue, whether he knows that or not.

Hakkesshu posted:

Why would he need to, though? Those videos probably aren't going to be made public, and it would be easier for them to simply install a new CEO rather than villify superheroes, which would break their entire business model.

The Compound V business model could never be broken. The world would very happily throw a superhero under the bus if there was the ability to create more of them on demand. He'd just be a failed prototype.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Homelander’s pathos of “I’m an unkillable god of death but I just want a mommy and a daddy who love me and tell me I’m a good boy” is such a perfect send up of the modern online incel ideaology, the difference being that Homelander is actually a perfect Chad elite T1 Operator and it’s still not enough to make people love him.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Bust Rodd posted:

Also for anyone not clued in, Stormfront’s being an Oregonian is key because Oregon, not surprisingly, was originally settled by Southern white supremacists who believed that white people needed a land all their own, away from freemen and Natives, and the encroachment of immigration. It was basically supposed to be a White Nationalist paradise, and every racist cuckoo in the country knows it, so that’s why Portland in particular is kind of a national flashpoint in these current protests. The Portland PD is probably, conservative guess, 90% white supremacists at least.

Here’s an absolutely awesome podcast about the settling of Oregon by racist idiots

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-oregon-is-a-bastard-30217960/

Totally did not know that. Thanks a lot! :tipshat:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Homelander and Maeve's discussion in the hallway of the active shooter (the one that homelander punches in the heart) basically addresses this on the nose. He even talks about how close Edgar is to death. Maeve says it's because he signs the checks and that's true, but "checks" isn't just money and extends to the entire "gig" that homey gets through Bought.

He's not an out there deranged supervillain (yet), he still to some degree sees himself as The World's Greatest Superhero, Leader of the Seven, Saviour of America and Vought helps him believe his own lie

E: Bought was a typo but I dig it in context

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Homelander’s pathos of “I’m an unkillable god of death but I just want a mommy and a daddy who love me and tell me I’m a good boy” is such a perfect send up of the modern online incel ideaology, the difference being that Homelander is actually a perfect Chad elite T1 Operator and it’s still not enough to make people love him.

Homelander Is not even as competent as the standard DC/MCU super. He doesn't have proper training outside of marketing, he has not faced any real villain that he was not dwarfing massively. Same goes for the other supes (in the comic there are villains, but they also work for Vought, it's basically wrestling kayfabe).

He is smarter than his comic version, but he still fails to save the people on the plane, for example (comic version tries to steer the falling plane upwards and ends up breaking the plane in half, while the series version knows that if he attempts to do it, that's the result).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

Homelander and Maeve's discussion in the hallway of the active shooter (the one that homelander punches in the heart) basically addresses this on the nose. He even talks about how close Edgar is to death. Maeve says it's because he signs the checks and that's true, but "checks" isn't just money and extends to the entire "gig" that homey gets through Bought.

He's not an out there deranged supervillain (yet), he still to some degree sees himself as The World's Greatest Superhero, Leader of the Seven, Saviour of America and Vought helps him believe his own lie

E: Bought was a typo but I dig it in context

:hmmyes: The money and fame are linked with both of them being supplied by Vought. And Homelander needs his fix.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

That Italian Guy posted:

Homelander Is not even as competent as the standard DC/MCU super. He doesn't have proper training outside of marketing, he has not faced any real villain that he was not dwarfing massively. Same goes for the other supes (in the comic there are villains, but they also work for Vought, it's basically wrestling kayfabe).

He is smarter than his comic version, but he still fails to save the people on the plane, for example (comic version tries to steer the falling plane upwards and ends up breaking the plane in half, while the series version knows that if he attempts to do it, that's the result).
He wants to be powerful and successful in a way that doesn't require any real effort on his end. I've noticed he leans pretty heavily on his laser vision, for example. Lasering your problems away is easier than having to actually negotiate or persuade someone. Having to be trained or corrected suggests he's not all powerful so he shirks situations that might call his incompetence into question. Easier to just let everyone on the plane die than to save a handful of people and have some question why he couldn't rescue everyone.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Starks posted:

Overall I thought the first episodes were pretty weak compared to last season but maybe it picks up and that’s why they released the first three at once. It seems like they have no idea what to do with Deep and A-Train but I’ll wait a little longer to judge that part of it. A-Train not ratting Starlight out made no sense imo.

S2 first 3 eps spoilers Obviously part of that was just writing for the benefit of Stormfront "getting" to Starlight and having her be empowered but also corrupted, since that's the Stormfront storyline, but A-Train not ratting her out / caving in to Starlight's new-found confidence made sense to me, since A-Train thinks he's dying from heart failure on some level, and therefore is far more vulnerable mentally than some sociopath like Homelander. And there's also the running theme of "these supes ain't all that smart" running through the whole show.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
is it just me or is Erin Moriarty just impossibly perfect?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A-Train has always been alienated by the Seven. His power is the only one that we've seen other supes have, and it's completely measurable too. All this stuff that drove him in the first season to get cranked up and do Homelander's dirty work is still in play, but now he can't do the things he needs to keep his position anymore, so he knows his days in the Seven are numbered.

Since it's been more than 3 days, I'm going to stop using spoiler tags. That's the rule for movies, right?

Annie's argument did seem weak to me too, but he's primed for an anti-Seven turn. Trying to stay in the Seven led to him killing his girlfriend and having a heart attack.

If I had to guess, Annie is going to turn other Seven members into her agents. Maeve and A-Train are obvious ones. Black Noir and Stormfront are probably company men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RYYSZLA posted:

is it just me or is Erin Moriarty just impossibly perfect?

I liked the montage of her shedding the Starlight costume and just becoming a normal person again.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

If I had to guess, Annie is going to turn other Seven members into her agents. Maeve and A-Train are obvious ones. Black Noir and Stormfront are probably company men.

I think she turns heel sooner or later. Superpowers corrupt superly and her position as a supe is incompatible with her opinion of Vought. Meaning I am fully on Team Butcher

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dropping spoilers too.

So do people think Annie was about to kill Hughie before Butcher stepped in? I am genuinely conflicted on what I think was happening in that scene.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zaphod42 posted:

They killed Translucent. The boys are literally the only threat that exists to them at all on the planet. Even if a minor threat, why let that linger?
Who says Vought is letting it linger? At the end of S1 they captured all the Boys sans Butcher, and after they escaped it's explicitly shown the Boys are lying low, expecting Vought to catch them at any time (except Butcher, who woke up in the middle of nowhere b/c of Homelander, and the first store he goes has a news report showing he's a wanted man)

The only reason no one in the scenes at Vought are talking about the Boys is b/c corporate is mostly concerned about the Compound V scandal (as A-Train succulently put it, you don't gently caress with the money)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Dropping spoilers too.

So do people think Annie was about to kill Hughie before Butcher stepped in? I am genuinely conflicted on what I think was happening in that scene.

I feel like she might have started but stopped before she actually finished it.

First 3 episodes were really good. Can’t wait for Friday.

I’m also in camp “wish stormfront was more low key racist” like I get what they are going for but I don’t wanna see 5 more episodes of that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He was silently telling her to do it so HL didn’t murder both of them, that felt pretty clear to me.

But TbH Annie probably would have flashbanged Homie and grabbed hughie like a baby doll and skedaddled

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

He was silently telling her to do it so HL didn’t murder both of them, that felt pretty clear to me.

But TbH Annie probably would have flashbanged Homie and grabbed hughie like a baby doll and skedaddled

I was rooting for this to happen, but I'm not sure if that was the intent of the series.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

For sure, when they get married Anne's gonna be the one to carry Hughie across the threshold.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t see her murdering Hughie, she demonstrated enough “courage in the face of tough odds” last season that I’m not comfortable making her a coward.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think she would have killed Hughie if Butcher hadn't stepped in, which will make the voice mail all the more painful when she gets around to hearing it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ZearothK posted:

I think she would have killed Hughie if Butcher hadn't stepped in, which will make the voice mail all the more painful when she gets around to hearing it.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ruddiger posted:

I thought he was laughing.

I thought the same thing.