Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly there's a point to be made that any comic that builds on the existing superhero comics landscape and specifically references the Justice League should have its adaptation rewritten to reference the Avengers and build on the existing superhero movies landscape instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sure justice league was bad but I don't think it warrants erasing the jl from public consciousness

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just Ezra Miller's Flash.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly there's a point to be made that any comic that builds on the existing superhero comics landscape and specifically references the Justice League should have its adaptation rewritten to reference the Avengers and build on the existing superhero movies landscape instead.

People really want to hold onto their Aquaman gags.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the avengers dont have anything as iconic as this

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Deep’s gills REALLY, REALLY grossed me out

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

scary ghost dog posted:

I've never seen Superfriends. That means nothing to me.
Didn't the two kids on the right get eaten by the dog on the left a few years back?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I've never seen Superfriends. That means nothing to me.
Didn't the two kids on the right get eaten by the dog on the left a few years back?

Geoff Johns is a treasure.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skwirl posted:

The worst Geoff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Homelander is clearly based on Hyperion

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Silk, of all characters, is getting a TV show, in Sony's continual efforts to cash in on as many Spider-Man related properties they own without involving Spider-Man/getting Disney involved. I'm interested in how they'll do it seeing as how she's literally bitten by the same spider as Peter, and her entire origin revolves around being locked in a bunker to avoid a bunch of interdimensional vampires who want to kill all spider-people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think Sean McKeever wrote it, but he’s said that the editor was basically writing the book at that point and he was just scripting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Silk, of all characters, is getting a TV show, in Sony's continual efforts to cash in on as many Spider-Man related properties they own without involving Spider-Man/getting Disney involved. I'm interested in how they'll do it seeing as how she's literally bitten by the same spider as Peter, and her entire origin revolves around being locked in a bunker to avoid a bunch of interdimensional vampires who want to kill all spider-people.

I don't know exactly how the tv stuff works, but i think they can use Spider-Man without any permission from Disney, be super easy to keep part of the origin (same spider as Peter, locked away from society because "reasons other than interdimensional vampires") without bringing in any other Marvel poo poo super easily as long as they put the bunker in literally any other city than New York. You could even make it explicit that the Spider-Man is the Tom Holland Spider-Man and age her up with an oblique reference to "The Snap."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony can use a non-MCU Spider-Man in their movies/TV shows without having to coordinate with Disney. He can even be played by Tom Holland and probably reference things that happened in the 2 Sony Spider-Man movies. They just can't introduce new plot elements that involve MCU properties.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

I think Sean McKeever wrote it, but he’s said that the editor was basically writing the book at that point and he was just scripting.

gently caress writing a team book for DC. It drives me nuts that McDuffie pretty much had his Justice League run dictated. At a con a month after his last issue, he lamented how he wanted either Static or Icon on the team as the “Firestorm” audience surrogate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

The name Homelander is kind of the fascistic endgame of a name like Captain America. The character (from the show, I haven't read the comics so no idea how he is portrayed there) is pretty much an amalgamation of Cap and Superman, where the Homelander (and his specifically his marketing) is very tied in to America where Superman's isn't.

Maybe not in the modern day, but Superman being an all-american hero used to be a big part of his marketing, especially in the 40s and 50s. He might not literally have worn the flag like Cap, but he was seen as a patriotic American icon, even outside of the US. People of my father's generation still think of him that way.

And let's not forget:

scary ghost dog posted:

Nobody younger than generation X knows what the Super Friends are.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe not in the modern day, but Superman being an all-american hero used to be a big part of his marketing, especially in the 40s and 50s. He might not literally have worn the flag like Cap, but he was seen as a patriotic American icon, even outside of the US. People of my father's generation still think of him that way.

And let's not forget:

Super Friends was on cartoon network when Millennials were children.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

And let's not forget:

Yeah but I don't think any of the movies really bring that up, nor the recent cartoons. Someone not versed in the comics and Boomer aged or younger wouldn't know much about the World War 2 era propaganda probably outside of maybe catching a rerun of a Fleischer Superman cartoon, and even then there's only two that are war propaganda and they're mostly just incredibly racist about the Japanese, not "hurrah USA USA."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

People really want to hold onto their Aquaman gags.
Do they even still work when the public perception of Aquaman is musclebound badass Jason Momoa though.

If I had movie producer money to piss away (and I do mean piss away in the sense of gently caress ROI I just want to see this movie) I'd fund a movie that builds on the current state of superhero movies the way comics did in the 80s and 90s. Not even an adaptation, something original and pertinent to the state of things in 2020. Probably even try to get one of the writers from back then to do it although I'm not sure who, first reflex is Alan Moore but he'd turn me into a toad or something just for bringing it up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Do they even still work when the public perception of Aquaman is musclebound badass Jason Momoa though.

If I had movie producer money to piss away (and I do mean piss away in the sense of gently caress ROI I just want to see this movie) I'd fund a movie that builds on the current state of superhero movies the way comics did in the 80s and 90s. Not even an adaptation, something original and pertinent to the state of things in 2020. Probably even try to get one of the writers from back then to do it although I'm not sure who, first reflex is Alan Moore but he'd turn me into a toad or something just for bringing it up.

Oh god yes, 2020 can only really be described by writers who peaked in the 80s.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Skwirl posted:

Yeah but I don't think any of the movies really bring that up, nor the recent cartoons. Someone not versed in the comics and Boomer aged or younger wouldn't know much about the World War 2 era propaganda probably outside of maybe catching a rerun of a Fleischer Superman cartoon, and even then there's only two that are war propaganda and they're mostly just incredibly racist about the Japanese, not "hurrah USA USA."

In Man of Steel, after destroying the predator drone tracking him, to allay the general's worries he'll turn against American interests, Superman says "I grew up in Kansas, general: I'm about as American as it gets."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Also turning the flag into clothing is a big violation of the flag code, making Superman more American because he respects it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

And let's not forget:

im younger than generation x

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

Sony can use a non-MCU Spider-Man in their movies/TV shows without having to coordinate with Disney. He can even be played by Tom Holland and probably reference things that happened in the 2 Sony Spider-Man movies. They just can't introduce new plot elements that involve MCU properties.

I thought that Sony had to give the TV rights to Spidey in like 2009, which is why we lost Spectacular. Or was that just for animated shows?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Oh god yes, 2020 can only really be described by writers who peaked in the 80s.
You can hire whoever you want with your entirely hypothetical millions :colbert:

plus in some way it would be very apropos to the MCU movies retreading classic comics storylines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought that Sony had to give the TV rights to Spidey in like 2009, which is why we lost Spectacular. Or was that just for animated shows?

Sony has both live action and animated movies, plus live action TV.

Marvel has TV animation.

The weird asterisk is that apparently Sony has the rights to 44+ minute TV animation (aka an hour long show with commercials.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Klungar posted:

In Man of Steel, after destroying the predator drone tracking him, to allay the general's worries he'll turn against American interests, Superman says "I grew up in Kansas, general: I'm about as American as it gets."

I wonder how hard it is to get intel on everyone rightly his age, height, and build that grew up in Kansas and recently moved to metropolis

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
On episode 2 of The Boys season 2 and either Fresca is the most over the top product placement or it's being used to control people in the cult, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I would argue yes, because decades of Aquaman jokes (regardless of the quality) are a hard legacy to shake and Momoa's only been in 2 movies, only one of which was positively received.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh dang the boys came out today?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

Oh dang the boys came out today?

First 3 episodes, then 1 a week on Fridays for the next 5 weeks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol fuckin Amazon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I would argue yes, because decades of Aquaman jokes (regardless of the quality) are a hard legacy to shake and Momoa's only been in 2 movies, only one of which was positively received.

Jerry Seinfeld has a lot to answer for.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

site posted:

Lol fuckin Amazon

Not too late for a Me and the Boys meme where it's just Rhino and the other three are outlines with Coming Soon plastered on them. It's a favor to the meme community!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sony has both live action and animated movies, plus live action TV.

Marvel has TV animation.

The weird asterisk is that apparently Sony has the rights to 44+ minute TV animation (aka an hour long show with commercials.)

Oh for fucks sake, get the people who did Spectacular Spider-Man to do an hour long dramedy version of Spider-Man as a college freshman you loving cowards.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Medullah posted:

On episode 2 of The Boys season 2 and either Fresca is the most over the top product placement or it's being used to control people in the cult, right?

I think it's just a joke about the type of cheap, weird, non-caffeinated old-people drinks they tend to serve at religious functions.

Like how my granny's fridge always had Shasta in it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just learned that there's a currently running Spider-Man cartoon, in its third season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(2017_TV_series)

I gave up on the last one that was about high school Avengers or whatever, it was dogshit. Is this one any good? The art is not bad, though it looks like they're still doing the weird cheap background poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I just learned that there's a currently running Spider-Man cartoon, in its third season.

I gave up on the last one that was about high school Avengers or whatever, it was dogshit. Is this one any good? The art is not bad, though it looks like they're still doing the weird cheap background poo poo.

I haven't watched it, but I seem to remember people saying good thing about it, but because of how all this poo poo is named I'm not positive what series they were talking about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've heard good things but also apparently they shove every other spider-person in there which is a move i don't know how I feel about.

But like I said I haven't actuality seen it, maybe it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's the definition of "okay". I don't think it would hold up to binging, but I've watched it as it came out so it's never been a major commitment. I can't recall any standout episodes (beyond I remember being surprised at how much I liked the Screwball episode), but it does feature various Avengers at points.

It is full of Spider-People, and it got so pretty early on, but Peter-Man is always the focus, though I should note that his personal life rarely features beyond adding some mild extra peril that gets crammed into 2 mins of an episode, tops. Gotta have those kid-friendly fights!